Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2016, 23:37   #1
BHPian

Which Petrol SUV in the 20-30L range?

I had almost decided on the Ford Endeavour but dad wants a Petrol vehicle. I went through a lot of the threads over here but ended up more confused than I began.

Important things are:
  1. SUV with 4 star ANCAP or better preferable
  2. It should be within 30L on the road (Kerala)
  3. Petrol engine
  4. 4 wheel drive not necessary
  5. Do not like the looks of Duster, Ecosport and XUV500

Any suggestions guys?
di1in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 00:15   #2
BHPian

re: Which Petrol SUV in the 20-30L range?

Hi di1in, please consider Honda-CRV, it may fit your requirements! It has a 5 star ANCAP rating and top variant with all-wheel drive (AT) would come a little upwards of 30 Lacs. You can go for a middle variant as well which would fit well below 30 Lacs. One of my friend is using CRV and he is happy/satisfied with the car, minor issue with suspension, he feels that there is a little bit of noise in the suspension and Honda is not able to address the issue. This can be more of a personal point of view OR an issue with this car in particular because I have not got the same feedback from other users. Users swear by Honda CRV’s reliability and drive quality.
A friend of mine had bought a BMW X3 for 62 lacs, he was so fed up with his X3 (regular issues and expensive maintenance) that he came to BMW and said that he was using CRV earlier and CRV is far better a product than X3 in all aspects and in 60% Lesser price than a BMW X3.
Also, enclosed a video review (courtesy youtube and Autocar India):

neerajkumar10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 01:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...on-402522.aspx

2016 Hyundai Tucson
September launch expected - so brand new product, even internationally.
Hyundai is aiming for 50% localisation, and hence the price tag would be much better than the Honda CRV.
Expected to have a 2L petrol motor with 164 BHP and 204 Nm of torque.
5 star rated at Euro NCAP, so hopefully it makes it here with all those features as well.

Worth the wait, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajkumar10 View Post
Honda-CRV
And it can stand upto the CRV which is now at the end of its lifecycle and all set for replacement in 2017.
http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-...on/2100000761/
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...gger-size.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th July 2016 at 01:45.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 03:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Do you need an SUV? If not, you have the Innova petrol for which bookings have started.

I don't know whether the Innova will satisfy this requirement of yours:
Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
  1. SUV with 4 star ANCAP or better preferable
I think it's reasonable to assume that the Innova ZX is a (very) safe car.

Note: Be a little flexible on the crash rating requirement. All models will have some differences in safety features (ESC missing, seatbelt reminder missing etc.)

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 28th July 2016 at 03:31.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 09:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

The mind suddenly goes blank when petrol SUV suggestions are asked for, especially in that price range!
Old 28th July 2016, 09:18   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I would most certainly tend to agree with that thought process of the Honda CRV Top Spec.
And again, the New Innova Crysta in its TOP Spec is a great contender - while not an "SUV" it is sufficiently "SUV-esque" to pass muster and ticks all the other boxes too.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 11:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't agree more.
CRV and Outlander are the only two names that come to the mind and with Outlander being discontinued now Innova Crysta takes its place but the real irony is that none of the two are SUVs. Even the manufacturer does not claim it.
Grand Vitara also faded away from memory.
At the same time there has to be a reason good enough for lack of Petrol SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The mind suddenly goes blank when petrol SUV suggestions are asked for, especially in that price range!

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2016 at 13:04. Reason: Typo
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 13:08   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Which Petrol SUV in the 20-30L range?

Quote:
I had almost decided on the Ford Endeavour but dad wants a Petrol vehicle.
Any particular reason for the apprehension he has about diesels? The Endeavour 3.2 is the benchmark SUV in that segment. Do take him for a test-drive. I'm sure he'll love it.

If he desires something more refined & lighter to drive, check out the Santa Fe. It's a fantastic monocoque SUV.

If stuck on petrol, would suggest waiting a bit. Currently, the Honda CR-V is the best. Very well-rounded and it'll serve you well for years to come, but it is old. Would suggest waiting for the Tucson (as CrazyDriver recommended). Another option is the Innova Crysta Petrol (launch is just around the corner). However, the CR-V & Tucson will be a lot more 'car like' to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
At the same time there has to be a reason good enough for lack of Petrol SUVs.
Supply will follow demand and as things stand, there are few takers for big petrol SUVs in India. Diesel is preferred for the torque & fuel economy.

Weight + AT + Petrol = Heartburn every time you glance at the MID.

Last edited by GTO : 28th July 2016 at 13:13.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 17:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any particular reason for the apprehension he has about diesels? The Endeavour 3.2 is the benchmark SUV in that segment. Do take him for a test-drive. I'm sure he'll love it.
If he desires something more refined & lighter to drive, check out the Santa Fe. It's a fantastic monocoque SUV.
I believe the arbitrary rulings of NGT are the reasons for looking away from diesels, especially when talking about SUVs.

SANTA FE indeed is an excellent choice.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 20:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]Do not like the looks of Duster, Ecosport and XUV500[/list]
Any suggestions guys?
Since you mentioned these cars (obviously you had given these a fleeting thought at least) - there is also the Creta (top spec) petrol in that bracket. A wee bit short on the safety equipment though compared to its top end diesel.

Last edited by wilful : 28th July 2016 at 20:28. Reason: Typo
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2016, 22:41   #11
BHPian

You can also consider a NISSAN XTRAIL in either petrol or diesel, it is one of the finest and most capable cross over vehicle in the world. I have owned it for two and a half years. It was fun driving this car, the odometer had 1.74 lacs on it when I sold it for 9 lacs. the only issue is NISSAN's poor service network in India, however they are catching up!
neerajkumar10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 07:50   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You can also consider a NISSAN XTRAIL in either petrol or diesel,
# I do not think the X-Trail was launched with a petrol engine in India.

# It is not being sold currently.

Just the other day, a Santa FE was overtaking a car in the other lane [opposite side] and the flash from its high-beam was terrific. Looked menacing and was quick.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 12:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

If you just need 5 seats, Wait around till September. Tucson if launched in the 1.6 turbo petrol will be the SUV to beat. It will also be mated to a dual clutch auto box.

The Ford Endeavour is also a great choice but available only in diesel. Check out the Santa Fe also. Should be running a 2 lakh discount right now.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2016, 11:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hi di1in, please consider Honda-CRV, it may fit your requirements! It has a 5 star ANCAP rating and top variant with all-wheel drive (AT) would come a little upwards of 30 Lacs. You can go for a middle variant as well which would fit well below 30 Lacs. One of my friend is using CRV and he is happy/satisfied with the car, minor issue with suspension, he feels that there is a little bit of noise in the suspension and Honda is not able to address the issue. This can be more of a personal point of view OR an issue with this car in particular because I have not got the same feedback from other users. Users swear by Honda CRV’s reliability and drive quality.
A friend of mine had bought a BMW X3 for 62 lacs, he was so fed up with his X3 (regular issues and expensive maintenance) that he came to BMW and said that he was using CRV earlier and CRV is far better a product than X3 in all aspects and in 60% Lesser price than a BMW X3.
Thank you very much, Neeraj. I would have gone for the CR-V if it weren't pending refresh (next year?). I do love the looks, hope they launch it within a year or make an announcement saying so:
http://www.autotrader.com/car-review...ference-241700

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...on-402522.aspx

2016 Hyundai Tucson
September launch expected - so brand new product, even internationally.
Hyundai is aiming for 50% localisation, and hence the price tag would be much better than the Honda CRV.
Expected to have a 2L petrol motor with 164 BHP and 204 Nm of torque.
5 star rated at Euro NCAP, so hopefully it makes it here with all those features as well.

Worth the wait, IMO.

And it can stand upto the CRV which is now at the end of its lifecycle and all set for replacement in 2017.
http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-...on/2100000761/
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...gger-size.html
Thanks, the Tucson does look good. But there is a news item here that says the launch will be delayed, and even worse, that it will be diesel only.
http://www.ibtimes.co.in/hyundai-tuc...uL5xWU05FqG.97

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Do you need an SUV? If not, you have the Innova petrol for which bookings have started.

I don't know whether the Innova will satisfy this requirement of yours:
I think it's reasonable to assume that the Innova ZX is a (very) safe car.

Note: Be a little flexible on the crash rating requirement. All models will have some differences in safety features (ESC missing, seatbelt reminder missing etc.)
Thanks. Both me and my dad don't like the Innova looks. My mom also calls it a taxi car, so there's that

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

If stuck on petrol, would suggest waiting a bit. Currently, the Honda CR-V is the best. Very well-rounded and it'll serve you well for years to come, but it is old. Would suggest waiting for the Tucson (as CrazyDriver recommended). Another option is the Innova Crysta Petrol (launch is just around the corner). However, the CR-V & Tucson will be a lot more 'car like' to drive.

Supply will follow demand and as things stand, there are few takers for big petrol SUVs in India. Diesel is preferred for the torque & fuel economy.

Weight + AT + Petrol = Heartburn every time you glance at the MID.
Thanks, GTO. The National Green Tribunal antics created the problem, where they tried to prevent 2000cc diesel registration as well as stop 10 year old diesels from selling. The vehicle I am buying would be exclusively used in Kerala. The Endeavour is perfect. If they launched it in the 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine version mentioned at the link below, I would be all over it.
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/n...30-giob28.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
If you just need 5 seats, Wait around till September. Tucson if launched in the 1.6 turbo petrol will be the SUV to beat. It will also be mated to a dual clutch auto box.

The Ford Endeavour is also a great choice but available only in diesel. Check out the Santa Fe also. Should be running a 2 lakh discount right now.
Apparently the Tucson would only be launched in Diesel according to this report. http://www.ibtimes.co.in/hyundai-tuc...uL5xWU05FqG.97

I wish they launched the 2.0l turbo petrol Endeavour in India.

Last edited by di1in : 31st July 2016 at 11:27.
Old 31st July 2016, 11:51   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But there is a news item here that says the launch will be delayed, and even worse, that it will be diesel only.
Delayed? They might do it since the Elantra is coming first and they might want to give it some breathing space before Tucson hits the market. Tucson has far better chances of success than the Elantra.

Diesel only? I don't think so- thanks to NGT bans and the fact that they are testing the petrol as well already.

Which Petrol SUV in the 20-30L range?-capture.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks