Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta AT 119 37.54%
Honda BR-V CVT 51 16.09%
Ford EcoSport DCT 147 46.37%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2016, 01:07   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiautonate View Post
Well Ecosport is nowhere close to Ford's handling DNA. As an ex-owner of Ford Fiesta driving Ecosport was heart breaking. Even ride was not plush to compensate for handling/ feel loss.
I perfectly know that bro. But Ecosport has a GC of 200 mm, so it's not fair to compare the handling with Fiesta. For such ground clearance its ride+handling combo is pretty good. Moreover, when you further compare it with Creta and BRV is simply beats them hands down in this department.

Quote:
After sales service- I would rate Ford better based on my experience across dealerships in Pune, Delhi and Bangalore.
In general Maruti, Toyota, Honda and Hyundai are better known for their after sale services throughout India.

Quote:
I would recommend Creta in case space & comfort is the priority.
Creta does have more space, but still 5 average people is a squeeze in Creta, in Ecosport it's even more. But again, you are paying a lot more money as well.

High speed ride would be more sorted in the Ecosport which provides a flat ride

Last edited by ampere : 5th September 2016 at 01:19. Reason: Corrected quote tags
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 09:31   #32
Team-BHP Support

Re: Petrol AT SUV shootout: Creta vs BR-V vs EcoSport

Quote:
Well Ecosport is nowhere close to Ford's handling DNA. As an ex-owner of Ford Fiesta driving Ecosport was heart breaking. Even ride was not plush to compensate for handling/ feel loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
I perfectly know that bro. But Ecosport has a GC of 200 mm, so it's not fair to compare the handling with Fiesta. For such ground clearance its ride+handling combo is pretty good.
Steering (hydraulic vs electric) is at fault here. On a Fiesta, you get the feeling that you are driving a much better handling car mostly because of the way the steering feels in your hands. On Sriperumbudur Race Track, in the hands of Narain Karthikeyan -

Ford Ecosport Ecoboost (125 BHP): 2 mins 19.3 secs
Ford Fiesta 1.6: 2 mins 17.5 secs.

Not too bad for high GC vehicle.

Quote:
Moreover, when you further compare it with Creta and BRV is simply beats them hands down in this department.
As I mentioned before, of the three, BR-V is the best drivers' car because of sharp steering, no body roll and 1.5 iVTec. In MT variant, it should score very well on a track. To give you an idea about the potency of 1.5 VTec and modern Honda's handling abilities -

2014 Honda City 1.5 iVTec: 2 mins 14.3 seconds
Honda Brio: 2 mins 18.4 seconds.

Don't write off the BR-V (just because it has 3 row seating) unless you have actually driven it on ghats or hills (like I have).
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 09:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Don't write off the BR-V (just because it has 3 row seating) unless you have actually driven it on ghats or hills (like I have).
Well I am not writing off the BRV, in fact it's in strong contention for my dad who is looking for a change next year in Delhi.

I have driven Ecosport extensively and can vouch for its handling on the ghats. I have carried quite high speeds on the corners, though it was the diesel version. And the steering is also not bad, of course not as good as a Fiat or the Fiesta, both having hydraulic steering.

I have no doubts about the ivtec, which is probably the best NA Petrol available in the market today. In fact this is the primary reason I asked my dad to consider BRV viz a viz Creta. The Ecosport Ecoboost engine is another gem which is again in contention.

With the size of BRV, I feel that it would have more body roll than Ecosport. I would be getting the test drive in a couple of weeks and would revert.

Cheers

Last edited by Waspune : 5th September 2016 at 09:51.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 13:24   #34

Thanks for the comparison Omkar, my pick without a doubt is the Creta AT. Does anybody have the 0-100 kph timing of these AT variants?
Old 6th September 2016, 14:16   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranay J Pandya View Post
Thanks for the comparison Omkar, my pick without a doubt is the Creta AT. Does anybody have the 0-100 kph timing of these AT variants?
0 to 100 kmph Autocar India Timings:

Ford Ecosport DCT: 14.01 seconds
Honda BR-V CVT: 12.53 seconds

0 to 100 kmph Overdrive Timings:

Hyundai Creta AT: 12.6 seconds
Honda BR-V CVT: 11.2 seconds
Old 6th September 2016, 14:22   #36

Quote:

0 to 100 kmph Overdrive Timings:

Hyundai Creta AT: 12.6 seconds
Honda BR-V CVT: 11.2 seconds
thanks smartcat, may I clarify, is the Creta AT timing for the petrol or the diesel variant?
Old 6th September 2016, 14:29   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranay J Pandya View Post
thanks smartcat, may I clarify, is the Creta AT timing for the petrol or the diesel variant?
Petrol obviously.

Diesel Creta AT clocks 11.53 seconds & MT clocks 10.8 seconds (Autocar India). Now Autocar does not have Creta petrol AT timings but they do have it for petrol MT (12.7 seconds). So assuming that AT adds 0.7 sec to Creta's timings, Creta petrol AT might clock 13.4 seconds.

There is significant difference between Overdrive and Autocar timings for some reason. Maybe Overdrive guys do all their testing downhill

Last edited by SmartCat : 6th September 2016 at 14:36.
Old 6th September 2016, 14:49   #38
BHPian

@smartcat, other BRV owners : For me, the real USP of the BRV is the 3rd row seats.
My Q is: is it any usable though?
My mom sat in it for a short city ride over tarmac and found it too bouncy+ the coolling from the 2nd row AC is also pretty sad there.

So net net , is the only USP of the BRV- the 3rd row; of any practical use??
Old 6th September 2016, 15:26   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
@smartcat, other BRV owners : For me, the real USP of the BRV is the 3rd row seats. My Q is: is it any usable though? My mom sat in it for a short city ride over tarmac and found it too bouncy+ the coolling from the 2nd row AC is also pretty sad there. So net net , is the only USP of the BRV- the 3rd row; of any practical use??
Dude, why would you ask your mother to move into 3rd row? Mother-in-law, I understand (but only as a joke). With the BR-V (and all other 7 seaters), the standard rules apply -

a) Getting in/out not as easy as 2nd row.
b) Bouncier than 2nd row (sitting on the rear axle)
c) Knees up position (floor is 15 cm higher)
d) Best for kids only on long drives
e) Adults will find it bearable on short city drives.

So far, out of the 3000 km done so far, only 300 km was a full house (4 adults + 3 kids). Remaining 2700 kms was with just 2 adults + 2 kids, mostly on highways. But passengers have much more personal space than a normal car, and that's what makes all trips less tiring and more fun. For a small family, a BR-V (or any other 7 seater for that matter) is like "business class" air travel, as compared to economy class or at best "premium economy" class of normal cars - in terms of personal space and comfort.

When it's time to upgrade, I don't see myself going for a normal 5 seater car ever again.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 14:54   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So far, out of the 3000 km done so far, only 300 km was a full house (4 adults + 3 kids). Remaining 2700 kms was with just 2 adults + 2 kids, mostly on highways. But passengers have much more personal space than a normal car, and that's what makes all trips less tiring and more fun. For a small family, a BR-V (or any other 7 seater for that matter) is like "business class" air travel, as compared to economy class or at best "premium economy" class of normal cars - in terms of personal space and comfort.

When it's time to upgrade, I don't see myself going for a normal 5 seater car ever again.
When you are travelling with 2 adults and 2 kids only how does the 7 seater SUV add to your comfort compared to a 5 seater SUV? When you say 5 seater, I assume you mean 5 seater SUV.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 15:16   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
When you are travelling with 2 adults and 2 kids only how does the 7 seater SUV add to your comfort compared to a 5 seater SUV?
As you know, children (infant, pre-schooler, pre-teens, teenagers) can be cranky and whiny on long distance drives. But when you give them personal space, this drastically goes down. If the kids are old enough, put the elder child in the 2nd row and younger one in the 3rd row.

If the younger child is still an infant on a car seat, put her in the 2nd row seat with Mom giving the baby company. The older child can occupy the 3rd row seat (since you can't ask a child to sit in the front passenger seat because of airbags).
Old 7th September 2016, 15:36   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As you know, children (infant, pre-schooler, pre-teens, teenagers) can be cranky and whiny on long distance drives. But when you give them personal space, this drastically goes down. If the kids are old enough, put the elder child in the 2nd row and younger one in the 3rd row.

If the younger child is still an infant on a car seat, put her in the 2nd row seat with Mom giving the baby company. The older child can occupy the 3rd row seat (since you can't ask a child to sit in the front passenger seat because of airbags).
I know how it is with 2 kids . My kids are aged 4 and 1. Both of them sit on their own car seats. Since the 1 year old gets restless without his mother, my wife also occupies the 2nd row with the kids and it gets tight widthwise. Can the third row of the BRV accomodate a child with a car seat? I know my 4 year old struggles with legroom (with car seat) when I put her behind me in my Polo.

Also for long drives we tend to carry a lot of luggage. My X3's boot almost gets filled up. With seven seats up, your luggage carrying capacity isn't that great.
Old 7th September 2016, 15:53   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I know how it is with 2 kids . My kids are aged 4 and 1. Both of them sit on their own car seats. Since the 1 year old gets restless without his mother, my wife also occupies the 2nd row with the kids and it gets tight widthwise. Can the third row of the BRV accomodate a child with a car seat? I know my 4 year old struggles with legroom (with car seat) when I put her behind me in my Polo.

Also for long drives we tend to carry a lot of luggage. My X3's boot almost gets filled up. With seven seats up, your luggage carrying capacity isn't that great.
You in the drivers' seat obviously. 4 year old in the 3rd row on a booster seat, along with a few toys/books/gadgets perhaps? Wife in the 2nd row, next to the one year old in a front facing child seat. The BR-V's boot can fit three full-sized bags. If I have more luggage, I place them in the front passenger foot-well. Gives you a BMW like 50:50 weight distribution

Petrol AT SUV shootout: Creta vs BR-V vs EcoSport-p_20160813_060755_1_p.jpg

All the baby stuff (food, clothes, diapers, toys etc) in another bag, placed on front passenger seat - but with a seat-belt tied around it so that it doesn't move about.

Your wife will love this setup because:

1) She can instruct you to drive slowly/carefully etc, sitting diagonally behind you.
2) Easy access to baby stuff in the front passenger seat
3) She will be sitting right next to the infant in case (s)he gets cranky.
4) She can yell at and warn the 4 year old in the 3rd row, when (s)he gets too boisterous

Last edited by SmartCat : 7th September 2016 at 16:01.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 16:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

I'm actually pretty surprised by the votes on this poll thus far. I thought the Creta would just obliterate the opposition (yes I know this is a petrol AT shootout but still). By its sheer looks, the plushness factor, the space... Of course, it may still emerge the winner but it seems like a lot of Bhpians are willing to look beyond those pluses and bet heavily on factors like build and safety equipment.
I sure hope some of the automakers take a look at this poll.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 16:17   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All the baby stuff (food, clothes, diapers, toys etc) in another bag, placed on front passenger seat - but with a seat-belt tied around it so that it doesn't move about.

Your wife will love this setup because:

1) She can instruct you to drive slowly/carefully etc, sitting diagonally behind you.
2) Easy access to baby stuff in the front passenger seat
3) She will be sitting right next to the infant in case (s)he gets cranky.
4) She can yell at and warn the 4 year old in the 3rd row, when (s)he gets too boisterous
Ah, that empty front seat! How you could I forget that?

You really have got all bases covered, don't you? . Here's my problem. I know my 4 year old won't agree to sit alone in the last row. She gets very jealous that baby brother gets to sit next to mummy. I am just waiting for the baby to grow out of his mummy obsesssion, so that he can sit next to his sister and mummy can occupy the front seat. But yeah, I agree seven seats are a big boon for large families and going back to 5 from 7 will never make sense.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 7th September 2016 at 16:47.

Most Viewed