Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta AT 119 37.54%
Honda BR-V CVT 51 16.09%
Ford EcoSport DCT 147 46.37%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2016, 13:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

Petrol AT SUV shootout: Creta vs BR-V vs EcoSport

Petrol AT SUV shootout: Creta vs BR-V vs EcoSport-cretapetrolatcomparosheet.jpg

Hyundai Creta

What you’ll like:

• Very smooth, incredibly refined & effortless to drive
• 2 lakhs cheaper on-the-road than the Diesel AT! That's quite a difference
• Well packaged interiors have sufficient legroom & headroom
• Balanced suspension offers a comfortable ride & neutral handling
• Hyundai's reliability, competent after-sales & 3 year unlimited km warranty
• AT-only features such as 60:40 splitting rear seats, child seat anchors etc.

What you won’t:

• Unavailable in the top SX(O) variant! Merely one trim level for the Petrol AT
• Single-digit urban fuel economy. Diesel AT is a lot more efficient
• Creta AT needs stronger brakes. Braking ability isn't confidence inspiring
• Several missing features, big & small. Disappointing at this price point
• Rear seat is suitable for 2 adults, not 3 (due to its width)
• Some competitors offer you 3 seat rows for the same money

Review Link

Honda BR-V

What you'll like:

• A 7-seater SUV, unlike its direct competitors. Front & rear styling is nice
• Spacious, practical interiors. Excellent legroom and headroom in the 1st and 2nd rows
• Fast petrol, efficient diesel & smooth CVT - take your pick
• Compliant ride quality & neutral handling. 210 mm of ground clearance!
• Effortless to drive: light controls, sorted ergonomics & easy maneuverability for the city
• Airbags standard across the range. ABS + EBD on every variant, except base petrol
• Practical 223 liter boot with all seats up. 691 liters of capacity with the last row folded away
• Equipment includes projector headlamps + LED pilot lamps, leather upholstery, keyless entry & go, roof-mounted rear air-con, paddle shifters etc.

What you won't:

• Hit or miss design. MPV-like appearance from certain angles
• Interior part quality is ordinary. Also, build quality is very light
• Limited cabin width. Middle row good for 2 adults, not 3
• Low 3rd-row seat is best for kids or occasional usage only
• Poor rearward visibility. No parking sensors or reversing camera either
• i-DTEC diesel can get noisy and isn't high-rpm friendly
• Priced above the City which is a more premium car overall
• Missing essentials (seatbelt height adjustment, modern head-unit, auto-dimming IRVM, telescopic steering adjustment, phone controls on steering, proper dead pedal)

Review Link

Ford EcoSport

What you'll like:

• Snazzy, futuristic styling makes the EcoSport a head-turner. Solid construction too
• 3 engine options, including the impressive 1.0L EcoBoost & economical 1.5L Diesel
• Loaded to the gills with technology & equipment (SYNC, keyless entry & go, cooled glovebox, leather seats, parking display...)
• Smartly packaged interior. Adequate space for 4 adults. Lots of storage and practical features
• Dynamically sorted. Competent handling by SUV standards
• City-friendly! Great ergonomics, driving position, manoeuvrability and size for urban India
• Safety kit includes 6 Airbags, ABS + EBD, Emergency assistance phone call, Emergency brake warning etc. AT variant gets ESP and Hill-Hold

What you won't:

• Hyundai-esque light electric steering on the Highway
• Ride quality isn't as plush as that of the Renault Duster. Underlying stiffness obvious
• Narrow cabin width makes a 5th occupant unwelcome. Best for 4 onboard
• Sub-4 meter size and compact dimensions take street cred away
• Tree trunk thick A-Pillars result in severe blind spots

Review Link

Last edited by Aditya : 30th August 2016 at 17:00.
Omkar is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 15:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Petrol AT SUV shootout: Creta vs BR-V vs EcoSport

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the SUVs Section.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th August 2016 at 15:33.
Old 30th August 2016, 16:04   #3
BHPian

Creta AT all the way fam. Though I'm not a big fan of the Hyundai Creta, it certainly is the best crossover SUV in our market. I thought the BR-V would have given a run for its money, but besides the 5+2 seating option the Honda offers, the Creta trumps it everywhere else. Plus, the biggest minus point on the BR-V is no rear view camera. Add to the fact that there are no sensors either. I can't explain how important it is today, plus BR-V is rather long. Full 20cms bigger than the Creta. Whereas the Ecosport is cheaper and id say it is placed a full segment lower due to being a sub 4m car. Hence why it is 2-4 lakhs cheaper too.

Budget permitting Creta, or else the Ecosport for perspective buyers.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 16:49   #4
BHPian

This depends on the requirement of a customer. All 3 are different cars albeit under the SUV tag.

All 3 are unique in their own way. The choice would depend on need based analysis.

For me, if the need is a 5 seater then it would be the Ecosport simply because of the cost, or the BR-V if the requirement is a 7 seater.

The Creta, though is an all round package, it loses out when cost implications are considered. Also it loses out on features for the price making it less VFM, I can get buy an Ecosport AT with 6 airbags but not a Creta though I would end up paying more.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 30th August 2016 at 16:51.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 16:50   #5
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2016 at 10:08.
Doge is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th August 2016, 20:36   #6
Team-BHP Support

My Honda dealer mentioned that 30% of their BR-V bookings were for the CVT variant. Had there been a diesel CVT, it would have been 50% for the automatics - just like the Innova Crysta. Meanwhile, it looks like over 70% of BR-V bookings from Team-BHPians are for the CVT variant.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, here are some of the reasons why you might want to stay away from the Honda BR-V CVT -

1) You will probably not notice anything amiss when driving in the city. But when you try to rush things on the highway - and I'm not kidding here - the Honda BR-V CVT seems less refined than even Hyundai Creta diesel. Engine noise, tyre noise and wind noise are all way too much.

2) Honda gives you 95% of the car. You need to build the remaining 5%. One needs to set aside a minimum Rs. 30,000 for a Touchscreen HU, reversing camera, driver's arm rest and interior LED lights (absolute must). If you want GPS, decent mats, seat covers, steering wheel cover etc, set aside some more cash.

3) The BR-V looks oddly proportioned from some angles. To accommodate adults in the 3rd row, the roof is set quite high. Plus the bonnet is too small for the length of the car. For the height and the length, the width of the car should have been atleast 15% more.

4) Has trouble getting to 60 kmph quickly from crawling speeds, because of the way CVT works. This can be frustrating on highways with very heavy traffic.

5) Does not have a good image among enthusiasts, or even somebody who is remotely interested in cars. If what others think about your car is important to you, then BR-V CVT is not for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, here are some of the reasons why you might want to strongly consider the BR-V CVT:

1) Sounds strange, but BR-V CVT is a driver's car. Once you get to 40 kmph, BR-V CVT takes off like a rabbit. 0 to 100 kmph timing is the best (12.5 seconds) among the three. Both Ecosport AT & Creta AT takes 14 plus seconds to hit a ton. It's an awesome hill/ghat climber - unlike other AT's, there is no "should I downshift? should I upshift?" confusion. There is negligible "rubber-band effect" in Sports mode. The steering is the best of the three - light enough at city speeds for weaving through traffic, but well-weighted on highways. It's sharp and direct too, with no slack. Brakes are excellent. Michelin Primacy 3ST tyres are quite grippy. Handling is as good as any Honda hatchback or sedan.

2) As fuel efficient as my 850 kg Suzuki A-Star in the city. Honda BR-V gives 9 to 11 kmpl in the city and 12 to 18 kmpl on the highways, both depending on traffic & road conditions.

3) Second only to Toyota Innova Crysta AT in terms of practicality. 3 row seating + boot big enough to carry 3 to 5 bags. Even if you don't need 3 row seating, you can fold the 3rd row at get 600 litres boot space. Add 210 mm ground clearance to the mix and you have a pretty decent highway tourer. My Honda BR-V CVT is used exclusively for highway trips.

4) If image is important to you, well, atleast the common man on the road thinks its a SUV/off-roader. It turns eyes when you drive past quiet residential areas. Petrol pump attendants will point to the diesel queue and ask you to fill up there. While driving through slushy village roads, a Tempo Traveller driver was asking me if HIS vehicle could get across the slush . Also, if car enthusiasts drive the BR-V CVT, they will be impressed by the Sports mode and the paddle shifts.

5) Decent features list actually. Stock speakers and headlights are good too.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st August 2016 at 06:25. Reason: As requested
SmartCat is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 00:33   #7
BANNED

AT Comparison - BR-V vs Creta vs EcoSport

With three competitors in the market now fighting it for the market share, here's how they stand when comparing their prices, features and specifications.

With the increasing congestion in the Metro's and Smaller cities, having an AT as an option for purchase is a boon and makes life much easier.

I have put down this comparison between the 3 cars:

Honda BR-V vs Hyundai Creta vs Ford EcoSport

Have put down this comparison on the following points:
  1. Features

2. Specifications

3. Pricing

Honda BR-V
Petrol AT SUV shootout: Creta vs BR-V vs EcoSport-0_0_860_httpcdni.autocarindia.comgalleries20160411035448_hondabrvfrontindiaspecprelaunchpics.jpg

Hyundai Creta
Petrol AT SUV shootout: Creta vs BR-V vs EcoSport-silver8.jpg

Ford EcoSport
Petrol AT SUV shootout: Creta vs BR-V vs EcoSport-fordecosportcompactcrossover.jpg

SOURCE:
1) For Images: Google;

2) For the rest data compiled: Respective websites and brochures.
a4anurag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 00:45   #8
BANNED

Re: AT Comparison - BR-V vs Creta vs EcoSport

Variants:

Petrol AT SUV shootout: Creta vs BR-V vs EcoSport-variants.jpg

1) Features Comparison

Petrol AT SUV shootout: Creta vs BR-V vs EcoSport-features.jpg

2) Specifications Comparison

What has been compared in this section is:
  • Engine
  • Transmission
  • Dimensions
  • Brakes
  • Suspension
  • Tyres
  • Capacity

Fuel Type = Petrol
Petrol AT SUV shootout: Creta vs BR-V vs EcoSport-petrol.jpg

Fuel Type = Diesel
Petrol AT SUV shootout: Creta vs BR-V vs EcoSport-diesel.jpg

As Creta is the only car of the 3 here that gets AT in Diesel so just put the specifications down just for the information. And it gets the AT in two variants (S+ & SX+).

3) Pricing Comparison

I have used the following cities used for comparison:
  • Delhi
  • Mumbai
  • Kolkata
  • Hyderabad
  • Chennai
  • Bangalore

Petrol AT SUV shootout: Creta vs BR-V vs EcoSport-prices.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 11:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Thank you! It really gives us all a quick and comprehensive comparison.
I've voted for Ecosport AT (the car I use) over the other two because for me it is the ideal blend of space, safety & build Q for my needs.
Also, the maintenance costs are pretty reasonable. I've had it for close to 2 years now and I just spent Rs.4173/- for the 20000 km service - effectively that was my cost for the year since my running is around 10K kms annually.
Of course it has its downsides - like being a mite heavy on FE, stiff suspension, space (compared to the other 2) etc. Also lacks the opulence of a Creta obviously - but if I were a buyer today, I would still choose the Ecosport AT over the other 2. Maybe if there were more makes/models available, it would be a different story.
wilful is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 12:44   #10
Team-BHP Support

Useful model-model comparison.

While in the market, I looked at these cars, among others. BRV was not even considered given Honda's build quality.

Between Creta and EcoSport, given the fact that seating five adults was not a strict requirement, I found very little that Creta had over the EcoSport. Economics tilted the scale in favor of the EcoSport. In hindsight, I don't think I've erred, not getting the Creta.

Last edited by Eddy : 31st August 2016 at 13:59. Reason: Quoted post deleted
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 13:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Overall build quality is good in all three cars, yet in terms of shell strength / white body - I would rate Ecosport ahead of the others.

- Possibility of buying a fully loaded model is only in Ecosport.
- The gearbox is also best among the lot, I would rate DCT ahead of CVT. Torque convertor in Creta is plain old school
- The ASS of Ecosport is now almost at par with Hyundai offering

Where Ecosport is not making the cut is in engine department. It would have got more than 50% of votes provided the DCT was mated with Ecoboost engine, which Ford is doing for International markets.

When Ecosport was launched in 2013, this was quite a new age product and there was no competition. Things have changed in last 1 year and there is competition as well as a traction in the market toward acceptance of automatics, thanks to all the manufacturers right from the humble AMT to state of the art DSG and DCTs. It seems that with the next facelift of Ecosport, when the dashboard will be taken up for a major change to accommodate a better AVN system, the company might also decide to launch the DCT-Ecoboost combo which will again be a game changer for petrol heads.

I would still rate Ecosport ahead of Creta as its a VFM preposition; BR V serves different demand segment due to flexibility of additional row of seats.

Last edited by i74js : 31st August 2016 at 14:22.
i74js is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 14:22   #12
BHPian

It is also a matter of practicality for the end consumer. Not owning any of these cars - I would say that in terms of safety (with 6 airbags) and VFM the EcoSport should win the shootout. The only flipside is that it is beginning to look dated. In terms of fit and finish, the Hyundai is head and shoulders above the rest. The BR-V only has the brand going for it and I feel it looks very similar to the Mobilio from numerous angles.
invidious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 15:41   #13
BHPian

If you dont require 7 seats,
If you are ok with OK after sales,
If you care about driving feel, ride and handling

Go for EcoSport top end. Its well worth every penny.

For everything else, Creta should suffice.

Honda in a way has killed BR-V with its feature set/cost cutting and looks. Its quite a practical vehicle though, if you get those 2 extra seats into contention. Also, the iVTEC is the best engine of the lot, even though Creta has higher output.

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2016 at 08:33. Reason: Typos
Waspune is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 31st August 2016, 15:57   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend of mine is looking for a nice crossover with AT for primarily city driving plus maybe a monthly highway drive up to a hill station or beach. I was talking to him last night and suggested the EcoSport DCT (since he doesn't want to compromise on safety) and the Creta AT or Duster AMT in the shortlist. Just texted him to include BR-V CVT in there as well.

Great thread!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 16:04   #15
BHPian

I was recently driven around in BR-V, the thing which impressed me most was the response from Auto box, it just knows to slot into right gear all the time. The engine also sounded quite nice, the driver was pushing the car on good NCR roads and boy was it responding to his inputs.
If good auto box and engine is the priority then BR-V is best bet in my opinion.

On side note, having owned two Hyundai's, IMHO Hyundai cars age quite fast in terms of their engine, steering and suspension performance. After three years of ownership, you tend to feel that you are driving an old car.
Acharya is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed