Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Hyundai Creta AT 119 37.54%
Honda BR-V CVT 51 16.09%
Ford EcoSport DCT 147 46.37%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2016, 16:32   #46
Team-BHP Support

Re: Petrol AT SUV shootout: Creta vs BR-V vs EcoSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Here's my problem. I know my 4 year old won't agree to sit alone in the last row. She gets very jealous that baby brother gets to sit next to mummy.
With some creative/imaginative talk, I can she can be cajoled to get into the third row.

- It's your own room, nobody is allowed here - not even the baby. Only you!
- It's like your own big house! You can read books or play games here!

My 6 year old son was apprehensive about taking the 3rd row (he was worried that we would leave him behind, because he is always the last one to get out of the car) - but now nothing much can separate him from his den.

I suggest you hire a XUV 500 or Toyota Fortuner from Zoomcar, and see if the family likes the setup.

There is not much choice in 7 seater monocoque chassis AT space - its just XUV500 and BRV. Ertiga AT production has stopped, from what I heard. Also, you will immediately find that XUV500 AT is not suitable, because there is no bootspace with the 3rd row up. However, you have lots of choices in the 7 seater body-on-frame chassis space (Hexa, Fortuner, Innova Crysta, Endeavor, Pajero etc)

Last edited by SmartCat : 7th September 2016 at 16:34.
Old 18th September 2016, 01:46   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
It is also a matter of practicality for the end consumer. Not owning any of these cars - I would say that in terms of safety (with 6 airbags) and VFM the EcoSport should win the shootout. The only flipside is that it is beginning to look dated. In terms of fit and finish, the Hyundai is head and shoulders above the rest. The BR-V only has the brand going for it and I feel it looks very similar to the Mobilio from numerous angles.
Two weeks ago, I posted the above message and I wasn't even in the market for a car. Now I am seriously considering one of these since my Linea has pretty much communicated to me that it is on its last legs in the last 3-4 days. My driving is limited - to put things in perspective my 7 year old Linea has less than 39,000 kms on the odometer. So a petrol AT suits me to a T.

I am not at all keen on the BR-V but shall check it out nonetheless.

I have an Elite i20 Asta Option pack bought earlier this year and from a driving vantage (correct me if I am wrong) - the Creta's interiors while driving are exactly the same except for the elevated seating - this is a bit of a downer. If I am driving a car which is almost double the price, I don't want to get the feeling of driving the same car albeit in an elevated position. But on the bright side, the wife also drives a Hyundai Grand i10 and we really like both these cars for city driving.

That leaves me with the Ford EcoSport. About 10 years ago, I had the 1.6 Ford Ikon and it was fantastic to drive but every now and then had some niggle or the other. Are the newer Fords more - ahem - well screwed together? I had tested the pre-facelift version and honestly, even then while it drove well - it had begun to look a touch dated from the inside. So while the EcoSport ticks more boxes for me and is at least 2.5 lacs cheaper OTR - I wonder if an update is around the corner.

Another option I am awaiting (but is not part of this poll) is the S-Cross AT. I really liked its understated looks and black interiors. I understand that the launch is around the corner. Any inputs on that too will be appreciated.

Last edited by invidious : 18th September 2016 at 01:56. Reason: Added a para
invidious is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 11:32   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Two weeks ago, I posted the above message and I wasn't even in the market for a car. Now I am seriously considering one of these since my Linea has pretty much communicated to me that it is on its last legs in the last 3-4 days. My driving is limited - to put things in perspective my 7 year old Linea has less than 39,000 kms on the odometer. So a petrol AT suits me to a T.
One irritating issue you will face in your search -> the availability of test drive cars in petrol + AT configuration.

- Do a test drive of Creta MT petrol to get the feel of the engine, and Creta AT diesel/Verna AT/Grand i10 AT/i20 AT/XCent AT to get the feel of the transmission. Yeah, these are 4-speed ATs, but you will still get an idea about Hyundai's torque convertor transmission.

- Do a test drive of Honda BRV MT petrol and Honda City CVT (almost always available for test drive).

- Ford Ecosport MT Petrol and Ford Figo/Aspire DCT.

Quote:
Another option I am awaiting (but is not part of this poll) is the S-Cross AT. I really liked its understated looks and black interiors. I understand that the launch is around the corner. Any inputs on that too will be appreciated.
There are conflicting reports about the engine of upcoming petrol S-Cross -> 1 litre boosterjet engine OR a new 1.5 litre petrol engine (to be shared with Ciaz). Meanwhile, the facelifted S-Cross does NOT look understated.

Petrol AT SUV shootout: Creta vs BR-V vs EcoSport-2017marutisuzukiscrossfaceliftfrontquarterrightunveiled.jpg
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 12:07   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
One irritating issue you will face in your search -> the availability of test drive cars in petrol + AT configuration.

- Do a test drive of Creta MT petrol to get the feel of the engine, and Creta AT diesel/Verna AT/Grand i10 AT/i20 AT/XCent AT to get the feel of the transmission. Yeah, these are 4-speed ATs, but you will still get an idea about Hyundai's torque convertor transmission.

- Do a test drive of Honda BRV MT petrol and Honda City CVT (almost always available for test drive).

- Ford Ecosport MT Petrol and Ford Figo/Aspire DCT.

There are conflicting reports about the engine of upcoming petrol S-Cross -> 1 litre boosterjet engine OR a new 1.5 litre petrol engine (to be shared with Ciaz). Meanwhile, the facelifted S-Cross does NOT look understated.

Attachment 1555523
Thanks for all this - I didn't realize it might be difficult to get TD cars. And yes, the updated S-Cross looks hideous. They have launched the Indian-manufactured 1.5 S-Cross Petrol AT in Indonesia - so I am hopeful. I am also hoping one of these soon gets Android Auto.
Old 23rd September 2016, 16:45   #50

After a lot of brainstorming, TDs & sleepless nights;
I finally booked the Hyundai Creta Petrol AT in July with a tentative delivery date of Sep-Oct '16.
But on being informed that the delivery might be pushed to November, I'm back to the drawing board to weigh my options on the lines of this post.
I just met the NEXA S-Cross Sales personnel who had put up S-Cross Sales Deck below my office but they're unable to "officially" confirm the Automatic variant launch. The Sr. Sales Rep did mention the launch of a "NEW Variant" in Oct though.
So, fingers crossed...
Old 24th September 2016, 15:55   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruprasadR View Post
After a lot of brainstorming, TDs & sleepless nights;
I finally booked the Hyundai Creta Petrol AT in July with a tentative delivery date of Sep-Oct '16.
But on being informed that the delivery might be pushed to November, I'm back to the drawing board to weigh my options on the lines of this post.
I just met the NEXA S-Cross Sales personnel who had put up S-Cross Sales Deck below my office but they're unable to "officially" confirm the Automatic variant launch. The Sr. Sales Rep did mention the launch of a "NEW Variant" in Oct though.
So, fingers crossed...
November isn't too far away so maybe it's best to wait. You've obviously done enough TDs/homework so I'm sure you've chosen the best option to suit your priorities. I would counsel patience.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 20:03   #52
BHPian

The ECO-Sport seems to be the most value for money, along with its DCT tranny it seems like the wiser choice. Creta comes in second and the BRV is just not in anyone's sights.

I personally hate the Creta and would never give the top dollar they are asking for it. But it seems I am different from the masses as they are being lapped up by the hour.
Old 24th September 2016, 20:58   #53
Senior - BHPian

I chose Ecosport. The best value for money and best looker among the three. The compact size is also a boon in city traffic. And it has DCT box which sips less fuel and performs better. And at almost 6 lakhs less than Creta AT, it makes tremendous economic sense to pick this one over others. And from the money saved, one can buy a hatchback for spouse.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 16:21   #54
BHPian

Creta in place of Duster

We have been driving a Duster 110 PS Diesel RxZ for 3 years and 10 months; largely for highway drives between Bengaluru-Chennai/Coimbatore and occasional hill station drives to Kerala. ODO is just 34K and the vehicle has absolutely no issues; we love the highway drives. Typically after every 4 years we change the vehicle and now we are looking at Hyundai Creta SX+ Petrol. The main reason is that we find that after retirement our long distance driving is becoming lot less and we see no reason to have a diesel SUV. We are not looking at a Sedan mainly because of low slung seating making it harder getting in and getting out. Also we still love slightly larger boot space, road presence and then have 2016/17 interiors.....All ideas and suggestions most welcome Cheers
Old 2nd October 2016, 18:09   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: Creta in place of Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
We have been driving a Duster 110 PS Diesel RxZ for 3 years and 10 months; largely for highway drives between Bengaluru-Chennai/Coimbatore and occasional hill station drives to Kerala. ODO is just 34K and the vehicle has absolutely no issues; we love the highway drives. Typically after every 4 years we change the vehicle and now we are looking at Hyundai Creta SX+ Petrol. The main reason is that we find that after retirement our long distance driving is becoming lot less and we see no reason to have a diesel SUV. We are not looking at a Sedan mainly because of low slung seating making it harder getting in and getting out. Also we still love slightly larger boot space, road presence and then have 2016/17 interiors.....All ideas and suggestions most welcome Cheers
2017 may see a few more options in the form of Renault Kaptur, the CUV from Jeep, the new Ecosport etc. So perhaps waiting a while could give you better options.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 20:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
2017 may see a few more options in the form of Renault Kaptur, the CUV from Jeep, the new Ecosport etc. So perhaps waiting a while could give you better options.

Yes thanks, that's what we decided after test driving Creta petrol, vtvt. The first impressions - rear seats thigh support less, clutch lot lighter, the dash looks awesome, glove compartment less space, handling potholes less comfortable....all these just in very short drive and in comparison with Duster 110 ps diesel RxZ. Cheers
Old 31st August 2017, 19:31   #57
BHPian

Best Petrol Automatic SUV for City Use?

• Cars Shortlisted: Ford EcoSport, Honda BR-V, Hyundai Creta and Renault Duster.
  • Price Range: Rs. 8–12 lac, ex-showroom.
  • Maintenance and After Sales Service Expectations: It needs to be cheap and hassle free.
  • Average Distance Traveled Per Month: 1,250 kilometres.
  • Where Car Will Be Mostly Used: The mid-size and extremely congested city of Siliguri, on rough roads.
  • Chauffeur or Self Driven: 80% chauffeur, 20% self.
  • Whether the Vehicle Will Be Shared By Other Members of Family: Yes, by my parents, spouse, kid and two siblings.
  • Any Specific Requirements from Car: I have a thing for the latest whiz bang gadgetry, so I want a car that is up to date with them. It should be fun to drive, for the times I have to drive it myself. It should have high enough ground clearance to take on the rough roads of Siliguri as well as occasional trips to the nearby hills of Bhutan, Darjeeling and Sikkim. The rear seat should easily accommodate three people, and generally be a comfortable place to be in. The interiors should be a class apart.
  • How Long You Intend on Keeping This Car: Till it breaks down beyond repair.
I suspect that the default answer to my requirement will be the Hyundai Creta (though it is just a shade over my budget) but please hear me out. I have been delaying my purchase for the past two months hoping that either Maruti Suzuki will release a petrol automatic variant of the S-Cross (which I think would be far superior to the Creta) or that Renault will pull a rabbit out of its hat by launching a very desirable Captur/Kaptur with automatic transmission.

I was happy to wait for the launch of both cars before making my decision, but given the impending price hike due to the 25% cess on GST, the Creta is about to become about ₹50,000 – ₹1 lac dearer, which would suggest that now would be the ideal time to make the decision.

Having followed the S-Cross and Renault threads for a while now, it looks like MS does not have a plan to launch an automatic or petrol variant of the S-Cross, and the Captur/Kaptur will be shod with the same pedestrian quality of interior furnishings as the Duster, both of which would be deal breakers.

I would hate to have to pay 7% - 10% extra for the Creta (or any of the other cars in my shortlist, except the EcoSport) if MS and Renault disappoint me with their launches. What should I do? Should I bite the bullet and buy a car today (and which one if so) or do I wait for the other two?

Last edited by aryayush : 31st August 2017 at 19:37.
Old 31st August 2017, 20:46   #58
Team-BHP Support

Re: Best Petrol Automatic SUV for City Use?

If seating 3 at the back is a deal-breaker requirement, you'll probably not find Ecosport (relatively narrow) or Duster (intrusive rear A/C vent) meeting your needs. I've never been in the Creta's back bench personally, so no idea there.

Try to take an extended test drive with the intended regular passengers before your decide.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st August 2017 at 20:48.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 21:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If seating 3 at the back is a deal-breaker requirement, you'll probably not find Ecosport (relatively narrow) or Duster (intrusive rear A/C vent) meeting your needs.
The CVT variant of the Duster does not have rear AC vents. It's the most comfortable in the back among these, by a wide margin.
aryayush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 22:06   #60
Senior - BHPian

Seating three in comfort on the rear seat rules out everything except BRV and S cross.

Most Viewed