Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2016, 14:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which SUV should I buy? Budget = 60 lakhs

If hard core off-roading is not something you do maybe a Honda CR-V might fit the bill for you. It's not very common due to it's petrol engine only Avatar and will be a reliable companion.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 29th September 2016 at 15:09.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 10:49   #17
Team-BHP Support

I would have to suggest you look at the X3 and the GLC. Let me tell you why. The Santa Fe is a monocoque, and is less SUVish to drive but more car like. The handling, stability, etc cannot be matched by body on frame SUVs. It also shows that you do not do much offroading, but more bad roading (if there is such a term).

The GLC is brand new, and looks great. The CKD version now misses on some features (seat memory is my main grouse) but overall is still a good package. Only issue is I doubt Mercedes will give you much of a discount, maybe just insurance for free.

The X3, even I thought it was small until I sat in one and saw its not really small. And then ended up buying one. The X3 is due to be replaced next year with an all new model, not sure how you feel about that. But I would definitely suggest a test drive before ruling it out. In fact there are good discounts on the X3, you might even be able to get the 30d maybe a few lacs above your budget.

Now in your budget, you may also get a 1 year old X5 which would have done some 10-15k kms. This again is a very good buy, its comfortable and great for long drives.

In terms of reliability, my personal opinion is that BMW is best, followed by Mercedes and then Audi in terms of the Germans. Land Rover is nowhere close.

Also to put some doubts to rest, there is a couple (whom I know personally) who bought a brand new X5 and drove to London from Mumbai, and are driving back in a couple of months. You can read about it here - http://www.thelifetimejourney.in/

Do note the X5 gave them ZERO issues on the way.

Now if none of these are appealing, I'd say look at the Endeavour which is a great package. Its robust, powerful, and loaded with features.

Leaving out the XC60 because I find the interiors dated, and also the AWD variant is available only with the 6 speed (if its still offered) which isn't that great in terms of driving experience.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 12:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
... the Endeavor is a whopping 10mm wider and 13mm lower ..
Well, what do you know? Shows how prejudice screws up one's analytical capability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
I see you leaning towards the Fortuner, and hence i suggest you put in a booking amount ASAP.
Yes, shall do that.
Quote:
Also, the XC60 is a good option.
Read the thread of Mr Narayan. Seems happy with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I personally feel a 2-3 year old well kept Audi Q7 might be a good choice
Well, i used it when i was working and was not enamoured of it.
Quote:
You can also look at nearly new ML class or a slightly older GL/X5
I have not thought about buying a used car, but considering the fact that many BHPians have suggested it, shall keep my options open. Availability may be an issue in A'Bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, before you sell it, please read..
Yes, read that and am now thinking about whether i want a new car. I may not need it, that is clear.
Quote:
.. (don't) replace it with a Land Rover.
Shall not touch it now, that i can promise you. The earlier urge, impetuous as it seemed, was due to a mistaken sense of belief that due diligence by the concerned, in the company i used to work for, had been done. ( They had bought 3 of these)
Quote:
Would strongly recommend the Endeavour 3.2. You could also wait for the Fortuner and Kodiaq.
Shall look at those afresh, assuming that i would go in for a new car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Alternatively you can consider a used Toyota Landcruiser. You can get a 2008-10 model in your budget.
Umm. Pay Rs 40-60 Lacs for a nearly 6-9 year old car? Don't think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Plenty of examples available under 60L and nothing like a LC200 on the road.
The LC 200 is a great car. Drove it in New Zealand when on holiday. But second hand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
If hard core off-roading is not something you do maybe a Honda CR-V might fit the bill for you.
I am not into off roading per se, never mind the 'hardcore' part, but would like a 4x4 since i do go off the beaten path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
I would have to suggest you look at the X3 and the GLC.
Yes, the GLC looks great, and i was trying to get my friends to agree for a group buy. Amdavadi to the core!
Quote:
... you may also get a 1 year old X5 which would have done some 10-15k kms.
I like the X5. Drove it in the USA. Seems quite a car.

Thank you, guys, for your responses.
Old 30th September 2016, 18:37   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
It seems a trifle small in size. Though at best there would be 4 in the car and more often just 2, i would still like a car with some presence.
As Akshay mentioned the X3 is deceptively spacious on the inside. Both legroom and headroom at the back is quite good and even the boot is quite large. Although BMWs are known for mostly enthusiast appeal, the X3 is a very well rounded product. The 30d variant is very well equipped and with current discounts will cost similar money to a Merc GLC 220d. The 30d engine is special and don't think its all about the power. The six cylinder engine is more refined and adds luxury appeal. It sounds great for a diesel when pushed hard. In conjunction with that eight speed ZF gear box it is truly outstanding.

The X3 comes with adaptive suspension which not only adjusts firmness based on the drive mode selected, but also constantly adapts to road conditions giving you a comfortable ride and assured handling. I may be wrong, but I don't think the GLC comes with adaptive dampers. RWD bias + X drive + adaptive dampers + six cylinder engine + BMW DNA make it a really fun SUV to drive yourself.

The sport seats on the 30d variant are majestic and offer great thigh support via the thigh support extenders and the adjustable side bolstering virtually hugs you in place and are super suportive. Rear seats have good legroom, headroom and width, but you sit a bit low and tall people (6ft +) may not like it too much. Its in its last year of production so you should get decent discounts and reliabilitywise its quite sorted.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 30th September 2016 at 18:40.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 20:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
... the X3 is deceptively spacious on the inside.
i just saw the comparison. There seems to be very little difference in size. Negligible, in fact. Just a few cms here and there. Hope the data is reliable since another site gives different figures.
Name:  Screen Shot 20160930 at 20.34.33.png
Views: 2712
Size:  122.0 KB

source: carwale.com

Last edited by earthian : 30th September 2016 at 20:40. Reason: added source
Old 30th September 2016, 20:55   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i just saw the comparison. There seems to be very little difference in size.
GLC is the newest and the one that should fit your budget/ requirements. Try to find CBU import unit. X3 is in the final year of production and does look dated in comparison with GLC. I test drove Petrol GLC and was impressed. Do back to back drives of your shortlisted cars.

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th September 2016 at 21:00.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 17:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

You seem to have a 'heavy' usage pattern and your driving is not limited to the city.
Considering this, I would suggest a 'common' reliable SUV like the Fortuner or Endeavour. They have enough power and should be cheaper to maintain.

If you can wait, check out the new Fortuner (already reaching showrooms) before deciding.

I can tell you that the Endeavour is one imposing car on the road and the 3.2 L diesel flies.
landcruiser123 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 16:35   #23
BHPian

Update:
  1. Have checked out the new Fortuner. Have not driven it yet. Not so enamoured with the looks.
  2. Have test driven the Endeavour 3.2 4x4 AT. Felt a slight lag as compared to my manual Santa Fe or the Mercedes 250 GLE or 220 GLC. (Media) Electronics are A-one. SYNC 2 worked perfectly. However the car seems or rather is narrower than my existing Santa Fe and the rear seats (2nd row) are not as comfortable.
  3. Test drove the Mercedes 220 GLC and 250 GLE. Liked the GLE since it was wider and more spacious.

So the GLE is way above my budget ~ 70 lacs whereas i do not want to spend above Rs 60 lacs. I do not want to go in for a second hand option, if i can help it. The new Fortuner misses out on quite a few goodies, as compared to the rest of the pack. Secondly the 3rd row of seats occupying quite some space in the boot is not to my liking. Yes, these seats can be removed and discarded.
In the GLC, there is very little space in the boot with the spare occupying most of it. Again a deal breaker. The sales man was confused as far as the spare in the GLE was concerned. he said that the spare would occupy space in the boot similar to the GLC, but when we opened the boot it was nicely tucked away beneath the under board. When i pointed it out, he still maintained that the spare would come above the board. ??

So am at cross roads again.
Old 24th November 2016, 17:49   #24
BHPian

Re: Help required to finalise SUV buy.

Folks:
As mentioned earlier, my inclination is towards the GLE 250 D, and maybe, just maybe, a deal can be had due to the sudden lag in sales. The GLC has far better interiors and electronics but the spare taking up half the boot is a deal breaker. My questions:
  1. Is the GLE, in general, a good SUV for self driving (mostly on road)?
  2. Is there any option to upgrade the electronics, particularly media, in the GLE 250 with that of the latest offerings from Mercedes?
  3. There are very few reviews about the GLE 250 d and hence i have no inkling about reliability.
  4. Is there any risk about diesel engines being banned by NGT in the foreseeable future in other parts of India?
Would appreciate if you guys can share your views on these.
Thanks.
Old 24th November 2016, 18:25   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

How about the Volvo XC60. Fits your budget. Has AWD and quite reliable. Only shortfall would be lack of service stations all over India.
Old 24th November 2016, 19:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
How about the Volvo XC60. Fits your budget. Has AWD and quite reliable. Only shortfall would be lack of service stations all over India.
Yes, i had read your review. And you seem to be a satisfied customer. Well, it is good, reliable, safe. Yes, shall check it out before committing. Well, off to Udaipur for 3 days. Shall check the X5, X3 and the XC 60 after i am back. The GLE is quite spacious and good looking, though.
Old 25th November 2016, 16:16   #27
BHPian

Re: Help required to finalise SUV buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Folks:
As mentioned earlier, my inclination is towards the GLE 250 D, and maybe, just maybe, a deal can be had due to the sudden lag in sales. The GLC has far better interiors and electronics but the spare taking up half the boot is a deal breaker. My questions:
  1. Is the GLE, in general, a good SUV for self driving (mostly on road)?
  2. Is there any option to upgrade the electronics, particularly media, in the GLE 250 with that of the latest offerings from Mercedes?
  3. There are very few reviews about the GLE 250 d and hence i have no inkling about reliability.
  4. Is there any risk about diesel engines being banned by NGT in the foreseeable future in other parts of India?
Would appreciate if you guys can share your views on these.
Thanks.
The GLE is a fantastic car to drive on road. I have the 350 d and a GL350. If you can stretch your budget some more (+ 10L) then the GLE350 is far superior to the 250. The engine is fantastic and the airmatic system makes the car far more comfortable and also gives you a sport mode in the suspension.

Answering your questions:
1. The GLE is a fantastic car to drive, its very stable and can comfortably cruise at high speeds on the highway. It also handles well when chucked around corners and ghats but it's not a sedan, it's a big SUV and its shows.
2. You cannot upgrade the electronics, unless you are willing to get it done at some third party garage. (Also if you have the budget to spend big bucks on electronic upgrades, instead just get the 350)
3. The GLE is a reliable platform, so the 250 with lesser electronics and no bells and whistles should be super reliable. Also you can takes Mercs new starcare plans (The compact plus plan) which can cover your car for 10 years.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2016, 14:30   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting thread. I am currently in an almost identical evaluation process and any inputs would be appreciated. I am based in Bombay, and focussed on ex show room Bombay prices with Octroi (my company will register the car).

Have test driven the X3 20d, GLC 220d and the Disco Sport HSE Plus (190 BHP) so far. I self drive in city traffic on most occasions, but do go for the odd road trip, and will occasionally have 4 adults plus a rapidly growing 9 year old on board. Given my usage (my Superb has done 55500 km in 6.5 years), I don't really need a diesel - my only concern about the petrols in this segment (GLC 300/DS Petrol) is that they seem to be rare, and I have not been able to test drive them. Am getting good discounts on the X3 20d, limited discounts on the Mercedes, and JLR is yet to get back with an offer. The price spread between the X3 20d and X3 30d seems to have widened - discounts on the 30d are less than on the 20d - hence it does seem to be moving out of my consideration set.

Feedback from the test drives:

The X3 20d xline is remarkably quiet for a diesel, got to 80 mph in no time at all on the sea link, was very stable and reasonably spacious. The ride was somewhat harsh. Music system was mediocre, and my one big dislike was the lack of a proper MID were I can see data without taking my eyes off the road. The other concern is the lack of a spare (should I buy a space saver) and the relatively small boot.

The GLC220d seemed to match the X3 on interior room almost identically, except that the seating position was slightly lower (I did not have back to back tests - so a little tough to be sure). Surprisingly, I felt that it accelerated faster than the X3 in Sport mode (felt a push back that was absent on the X3). But I did not run it on the sea link - so it may not be an apples to apples comparison. The ride quality seemed better. I liked the fancy MID - but disliked the fact that the off-road traction control modes have also been dropped from the locally assembled version. However, it does seem to have all the feature such of the X3 bar leather seats. The big spare in the boot is an issue. There was some confusion on the type of tires used - the sales guy told be that it was an Extended Mobility tyre which is similar to a run flat. Some Googling suggested that may be the case (Mercedes uses Extended Mobility tires that offer just 20 miles of run flat capability (vs 50 miles for normal run flats) with full load in some markets), but I am a bit confused here. Am trying to get a petrol test drive but have not yet succeeded.

The DS felt much larger than the X3 or GLC, boot space is much larger, rear seat room is greater and the seating position is much higher. But the aircon was mediocre (albeit at 12 noon), the engine much, much gruffer, and acceleration materially worse (even with the 190 BHP HSE Plus). Add the fact that the price of the HSE Plus is significantly higher than the HSE (can't compare like for like as I don't have a quote with discounts yet), and I am seriously considering if it should stay in the set.

Has the XC60 been upgraded yet?

Anything else to be considered? What kind of discounts should one push for? Inputs appreciated.
Old 26th November 2016, 14:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Feedback from the test drives:

The X3 20d xline is remarkably quiet for a diesel, got to 80 mph in no time at all on the sea link, was very stable and reasonably spacious. The ride was somewhat harsh. Music system was mediocre, and my one big dislike was the lack of a proper MID were I can see data without taking my eyes off the road. The other concern is the lack of a spare (should I buy a space saver) and the relatively small boot.
Being an X3 owner myself in its 20d avatar I'd say go for the X3 use the yearend as an opportunity to squeeze the maximum discount from the dealer in the 20d version. The car is remarkable in terms of driving and reliability till now. Switching to normal tubeless will improve the harsh ride immensely and since 90% of your drive is in the city you will have no hassle in attending to a puncture in no time. The X3 on normal tubeless takes on another character trust me. Ya the music system is not at par to be honest but it never bothered me. Even the MID wasn't an issue for me but the driving pleasure of the car is in itself worth it. If you get a great discount I'd say go for it.
abs182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2016, 15:56   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Anything else to be considered? What kind of discounts should one push for? Inputs appreciated.
Reminds me of the situation I was in last year, except that the GLC was yet to be launched and I did not have too many alternatives. Plus the fact that I was keen on a 6 cylinder did not leave me much choice. Ended up with the X3 30d and one year down the line, I couldn't have been happier. .

X3 rides pretty well actually and its only the run flats that give the ride a certain harshness at slow speeds. At higher speeds you won't feel any difference and the adaptive suspension does a phenomenal job in balancing comfort, body control and handling. After 15,000 kms I am not sure whether I will be switching to normal tubeless after my current set wears out as the advantages of run flats are weighing more than the disadvantages as of now.

I believe the X3 is the only one in its class that adjusts damper firmness based on driving mode. The others only work on the engine mapping, GB, Steering and throttle response with their various driving modes. This is one of the best things I love about my X3.

One negative about the X3 which I've experienced is the gear box behaviour in slow stop and go traffic. It seems a bit too 'leapy' for loss of a better word, from standstill and you need to be very precise with your throttle inputs. This nature of the GB makes you keep a larger gap than normal from the vehicle in front. Once on the move the gear box is simply flawless. I am not sure if its the gear box or the super torquey straight six that causes this behaviour in my car.

Regarding discounts, I managed to squeeze out about 6.50L from the OTR last year. Discounts on the 20d were upto 10L. This is actually misleading. They give you a pricelist with a very high insurance quote, unreasonable handling charges and also add secure premium and jack up the on road cost. Secure comes from the factory and is included in the Ex Showroom. If I look at my invoice, I actually got a discount of only about 4 lakhs on the Ex showroom. Due to pro rata reduction in road tax and insurance the final OTR also came down.

Do consider the X3 30d since pricewise, after discounts, it won't be that much off the mark compared to the GLC and DS. Its much better equipped than the 20d, (sport seats, HUD, 600w HK sound system and upgraded cluster) and the big 3L engine is special.

The new Audi Q5 looks good and is getting rave reviews. You can add it to your consideration set if you can wait a few months. Happy hunting!
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks