Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2006, 20:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Thanx a lot guyz for your wishes,

I have serviced my car coz it was not running smoothly,
I have change couple of things here goes the list

1) I bought the populer shaft (the main 4*4 joint)
2) Replaced Water Pump
3) Replaced Alternator
4) New Brake Liners
5) Changed the Oil
6) Petrol filter, Oil Filter Changed
7) Timing Belt And Timing nanda Kit Changed
8) New Clutch Plate and Pressure Plate
9) NGK Plugs
10) Changed the Plug wires

And now the car is running very smooth but still i have to check 4*4 once again coz its getting stuck and as soon as i shift into 4*4 mode the car is kinda halted & steering is jammed so i have to check it once again.

and remaining work which is planned for my car is
1) Paint
2) Hood
3) Free Flow
4) K&N
( I may Change the Rims depends on the cash flow)
BTW its already running on a nice set of alloys and radials.
I will try to post the pictures in a day or two. ( Bit busy with friends wedding)

Ciao
Devang

Last edited by pdev29 : 11th December 2006 at 21:00.
Old 11th December 2006, 22:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post
And now the car is running very smooth but still i have to check 4*4 once again coz its getting stuck and as soon as i shift into 4*4 mode the car is kinda halted & steering is jammed so i have to check it once again.
You may be accidently shifting to 4L. Also please make sure that all 4/5 of your tyres are the same type/ same aspect ratio etc. Otherwise you will end up with a broken transfer case and/or differential.
And by the way its a propeller shaft.

Last edited by jyobeb : 11th December 2006 at 22:24.
Old 12th December 2006, 10:10   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does it happen only when you turn the steering wheel more than one lock i.e. the steering getting very hard? This has to be on tarmac and is a regular instance with old school 4x4s.
Old 12th December 2006, 11:48   #34
Senior - BHPian

Gypsy 4WD problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29 View Post

Hi Devang,
Kindly Check the following.
1) Do you engage the 4WD while the steering in turned.
2) Do you engage the 4WD while the vehicle is rolling/Moving

If so do not engage the 4WD in the following situations.

Kindly Check the following
1) Front and rear tyres sizes. if all the 5 are the same size then
2) Check the Front and Rear Propellor shafts to ensure thats they are "in phase" i.e that the Universal Joints (Star & Cups) at the Tcase end and the Pinion end (diff) are aligned + ----- + and not + ----- X.
3) Check the differential ratios in the front & back i.e Crown gear : Pinion Gear.

Hope this help.

Regards,

Arka
Old 12th December 2006, 17:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

I stopped the car on the old pune ghat shifted the car in 4*4 (4L) the car was jammed steering was hard and then the car got stuck between 4L and 4H and i was not able to shift the car in 2wheel, so what should i do now ? ( anyone knows a good mech. who knows 4*4)
Old 13th December 2006, 12:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Gypsy Hi- Lo problem

Hi Devang,
What you have encountered is a common Gypsy 4WD problem.
It cannot be remedied mechanically but you have to adopt a different technique to engage the 4WD.
when the vehicle is stationary and wheels are straight. Also before disengaging the 4WD reverse the Vehicle in a Straight Line, bring i to a stop and disengage.

The problem that you have encountered can occur anytime and is easily rectified.
1) Try pushing the vehicle front and back and then try to engage. if not
2) Remove the rubber boot cover the 4WD Lever.
i) once removed you can see the T-Case and the T-Case "top"
ii) Try to gently pry out the lever "top"
iii) rotate the gear lever & top to match the 2 U shaped notches
iv) once they are aligned pull out the lever.
v) You will see 2 parallel Shift Rods with notches (this is where the 4WD lever sits)
vi) pry the shift rods so that the notches are perfectly aligned i.e T-case neutral (put the G-Box in neutral)
vii) once that is done select the T-case reduction i.e 2H-4H-N-4L and continue driving.

If you vehicle is pre 1995 it will have free wheeling hubs on the Front Axle make sure they wrok properly Lock -Unlock.

Regards,
Arka
Old 13th December 2006, 18:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Thanx a lot guyz i will check all the details and i will update you about the same.
Old 21st December 2006, 18:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

here are the pics.

]

Full size Pic
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6249/1ag4.jpg

Last edited by pdev29 : 21st December 2006 at 18:27.
Old 21st December 2006, 20:50   #39
BHPian

Pdev ur gypsy looks sexy, and i am sure u don't want to keep just the bonnet black in colour..so what type of modifications are in the pipeline ??
Old 21st December 2006, 22:51   #40
Senior - BHPian

ya man you are rite i will not keep it like this it will be kinda stock look but little bit here and there, paint it and interior first (its kinda urgent) after that a free flow and a K&N and i may change the rims and tyers if i get a good deal.
Old 10th January 2007, 11:02   #41

Dear Rudra Sen
i just bought a brand new gypsy king. want to do the delhi-leh route.
also, would like to modify suspension and enhance power. pls advise

a
Old 11th January 2007, 12:15   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I am Dwarak from Bangalore. Been seeing lot of gypsy lovers here. My first four wheeler was Gypsy and I sold gypsy to buy another gypsy. This time it is DC modified, hardtop.

I loved gypsy for its versatility and ruggedness. I have done more off roading than on-road in my gypsy. Its 1995 model MG410 4 WD without free wheeling hubs. Been trying to make gypsy lovers off-roaders too.

I have been participating in Off-roading in bangalore along with Jeeps. Not to boast, where jeeps get stuck , gypsy comes out easy, becuase of its lightweight and swift movement.

I have travelled from Bombay to Bangalore 1000 kms in 16 hrs, with almost 40 minutes break for food and fuel. Max speed touched is 135 kms between pune and mumbai. Although is gives jolts, driver won;t feel much , left to the passangers . Fortunately no body want to be passangers in gypsy. Put a sand bad in the back, you can take passangers without giving them jumpy ride.

Dwarak
Old 11th January 2007, 13:07   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not to boast, where jeeps get stuck , gypsy comes out easy, becuase of its lightweight and swift movement.
You bet. We used to off-road a lot with varied machines and the gypsy was darn agile! Butttttttttttttttt you have just got to see Jongas and Trax Judos offroad. They are untouchable.
Old 11th January 2007, 16:53   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guyz just an update about my car,
Its with painter, Completely Stripped down, i wasnt able to believe that was my car, some of the pieces are rusted very badly so we are changing it. the paint job will be done within 7-10 days. I will try to get some pics tommorow and i will keep you all updated.

Offtopic,

@ Dwarak are you from yahoo groups (Gypsy) ???
Old 15th July 2008, 01:17   #45
AKS

Maruti Gypsy

Hey dudes am planning to modify a gypsy or willys jeep. pls suggest me as what tyres, what extra fittings can b added?
i want my suv to be a unique ride

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread merged. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th July 2008 at 10:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks