Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which SUV / MUV would you choose?
Tata Hexa 526 53.08%
Mahindra XUV500 187 18.87%
Toyota Innova Crysta 217 21.90%
Mahindra Scorpio 8 0.81%
Tata Safari Storme 29 2.93%
Other (please specify) 24 2.42%
Voters: 991. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2018, 11:53   #181
J D
BHPian

XUV or Hexa - help me decide

Hello,

NOTE TO MODERATOR:
LET THIS THREAD LIVE - THERE ARE MANY WHO WOULD LIKE A DEDICATED THREAD ON THE TOPIC.

This thread is dedicated to help prospective buyers make a decision based on the decision making and buying experience of the members who bought an XUV or a Hexa. Others are welcome to contribute too.

I will be taking delivery of my XUV this week and would like to keep this thread alive with discussions and debates from fellow members passionate about their XUV or Hexa. I understand there are a few threads out there which do a similar task, but I would like to dedicate this one to the enthusiastic Hexa and XUV fans who will constructively discuss the pros and cons - helping new buyers.

Being in the market from the Aria days, I waited expectantly for the Hexa to be released and boy did they take their time in getting it out - finally, Jan 2017, the car came out and was an instant hit with the media (probably was supposed to be), but I don't think it got the traction they would have expected in terms of sales, while the XUV just went about its usual routine, selling about 2500-3500 per month, month on month - I think the sales of the XUV from release would be in the 200,000 range? Can we say the Aria/Hexa combination would have sold about 35k until now? Just that there are more XUVs on the roads, IMO, it has a better chance of getting better after sales and support - in terms of spares/service.

Of note, the first gen XUV was the first car I test drove when I started looking for a replacement for my WagonR - that was way back in 2012. If the XUV had a more functional boot space, I would have gone for it back then, but no - I waited until I decided to go for the W11 (O) AWD, 2 facelifts hence, more powerful, much more refined, a few more bells and whistles attached, but with the same boot-less version ()

It wasn't an easy decision to make for me - having liked the Aria quite a bit and definitely feeling the massive upgrade from Aria to Hexa - both in terms of look, quality and ride - but the various misses, though minor drew me back to XUV. Imagine, for almost the same price, for the top version, there are quite a few features the Hexa is missing - no, wait, don't start all over again, these are not important, see the ride quality, don't need large screen, you can get an aftermarket sunroof, why do you need an electric driver seat adjust, the brake energy regeneration is nonsense, we don't need flat folding seats (joke, in fact the luggage doesn't slide - haha, the TML engineers didn't know the outcome of the overly contoured seats perhaps?).

There is a lot more waiting to roll from many members out there. Who will draw first blood, let me see.

HEXA OR XUV ?

I guess this is enough spark to rekindle the fire.

Let us discuss with renewed enthusiasm and vigour.

GOT BHP? Come on lets see it.
J D is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 12:22   #182
Senior - BHPian

Re: XUV or Hexa - help me decide

XUV is a great car but a bit long in the tooth now. Hexa is still based on the Aria and has some quirks carried forward from that older platform. Both of these cars might come with new leds, features and lashings of chrome but that does not hide the fact that they are both coming of age now. Tata's H5X based on the new modular land rover platform, looks all set to blow everythung in the segment, and the segments below and above it, out of the water. I think this will do what the XUV did years ago except even better, and it's already being tested and is due for launch sometime next year so I don't think there is much point in discussing the XUV vs Hexa IMO
IshaanIan is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 13:34   #183
BHPian

If you need one immediately, then my choice is Hexa and reason is ride quality. AT and space. Have back to back rides on different terrains, trust me, that alone would help you in deciding which one to buy.
Old 10th June 2018, 13:56   #184
BHPian

Was afraid someone would think of starting a thread and behold, here it is!
Why afraid? Because owners of either cars are passionate about their rides. The answer is: no one wins!

This debate has been summed up pretty well in all the other threads and i would request the mods to simply merge this with a relevant existing discussion.

Am not sure how much deep you've gone in this topic but the summary is always the same: those who value features and quirky looks with a peppy engine with all bells and whistles can go with XUV.
Those who like subtlety with premium ride and build with a refined engine but can live without all the bling and features can go with Hexa. I don't think there is any other conclusion that anyone can come to.

And there's no point comparing sales numbers. If TATA opens up commercial registrations, the figures will undergo a huge change. Also Hexa is a new brand than XUV. Frankly speaking, all the dealers are quite satisfied with the sales. Do note that the numbers are steady despite launch of a newer XUV.
If you ask me why i picked up Hexa over the other, its because of oodles of space, dashboard quality, audio, looks, engine and ergonomics. All of which are important whereas features can be bought after market!
Much better features too. For eg you can get a good TPMS. Tiretronics doesn't show you figures.
Amother reason why i would recommend hexa is lack of niggles, be it electrical or mechanical.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 10th June 2018 at 14:03.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 14:09   #185
BHPian

Ah! The question that has troubled many prospective buyers, and Hexa/Xuv owners.

I just bought the new Xuv W11 Automatic. I loved the Hexa XTA, and was close to finalizing it, but decided against it for just one reason. The lack of Esp & Tc in the automatic version. Witheld my urge to book it and waited for the new Xuv launch. It is pretty much the same car with a good interior upgrade and i went for it.
Raghav_K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 14:46   #186
J D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Was afraid someone would think of starting a thread and behold, here it is!
Why afraid? Because owners of either cars are passionate about their rides. The answer is: no one wins!
Agreed, each one is a winner, especially after making a decision and shelling out huge bucks, every one wants to stick with it, even if it is not the best sometimes, retrospectively.

I can assure you I have gone through most of the content on the Hexa and XUV threads on TBHP, at least once if not many times... Again, I wouldn't want to conclude XUV is the best choice, and would like owners to please type a few lines and summarize what led to their choice.

Hexa guys seem to be more enthusiastic and active on the forum; even if TML shared half of it, they should have thought about H7X during Hexa launch. Now the wait is on... I am sure Mahindra guys are not asleep and will make a compelling product for an XUV upgrade! 🙏

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
Ah! The question that has troubled many prospective buyers, and Hexa/Xuv owners.

I just bought the new Xuv W11 Automatic. I loved the Hexa XTA, and was close to finalizing... .
Add one to that Dr. Raghav, I would have fallen for the XTA when the GST changes initially brought down the Hexa price significantly, but more than the rate the missing features did weigh in on my decision tilting towards XUV.

No offense, but the XUV auto did not measure up to the XTA... So my decision to go for a manual XUV, and also because the XZA did not materialize. Still dreaming of XZA with a 4x4 may be? Oh what a combo that would have been. Having an option would have been great, why talk about cost when people not interested can just opt for a lesser version?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th June 2018 at 15:10. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
J D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 15:24   #187
J D
BHPian

Awaiting their masters!
A busy delivery area at a dealership.
The Crimson Red waiting for me, awaiting RTO process completion.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others-xuv.jpg  

J D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 15:54   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Awaiting their masters!
A busy delivery area at a dealership.
The Crimson Red waiting for me, awaiting RTO process completion.
Zulaikha Velachery Showroom? Looks like XUV500 is selling in all colors. Almost all colors lined up.

Regarding autobox, I'm switching from manual so even an AMT would've been an upgrade. I did not take an extensive TD of Hexa to fully assess its autobox, but i felt it was better than XUV500 at city speeds. XUV500 needs to go above 2500rpm to upshift in gears 1 & 2. On highway, I guess i would be happy with either of those autoboxes.

Last edited by GTO : 11th June 2018 at 10:16. Reason: Poorly typed post
Raghav_K is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th June 2018, 16:24   #189
Team-BHP Support

My comments on these two cars after driving them extensively would be -
1. Hexa has better ride quality than XUV
2. Hexa has more space than XUV
3. XUV looks better than Hexa from the side. Hexa is too van like.
4. Xuv has more gadgets than Hexa, so appeals more to some people
5. Mahindras have historically been more reliable than Tatas, so long term reliability of Hexa has to be looked into
6. Hexa feels more safer than XUV, it might just be a perception
7. Xuv is faster than the Hexa
8. Hexa 4x4 seems to be more capable than XUV AWD, at least under a few conditions
BlackPearl is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 17:01   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
8. Hexa 4x4 seems to be more capable than XUV AWD, at least under a few conditions
Not under a few but every condition. Yet to see a situation where a Hexa is stuck and the XUV manages it. Would definitely not buy an AWD auto when the Hexa's auto is far more refined and the RWD itself seems equivalent to XUV's AWD!

Coming to reliability, weren't the previous gen XUVs plagued with niggles initially during launch? I don't remember any such issues with Aria and hence confident that same would be true for Hexa as well.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 10th June 2018 at 17:03.
abhi7013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 17:46   #191
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others

I am in the market for comfortable, safe(6 air bags must), fun to drive AT SUV (not necessarily proper offroader but with high ground clearance that can take me to hard to reach resorts and coffee estates and also not necessarily 7 seater) with all comforts and features and my budget is 30 lakhs ex show room (Company lease limit). My drive will be primarily in the Bangalore city traffic (in some bad patches of road) with occasional high way drives (may be 10 per year)

I have zeroed on the following:
1) Jeep compass Trailhawk - I also pre-booked Trailhawk with a deposit of 50K and now I am taking the deposit back since the launch is delayed until 2019. Compass ticked of most of the boxes but with Bangalore city traffic, I am not ready to compromise on missing AT which is expected to come only in Compass Trailhawk.
2) Hyundai Tucson - In the test drive, this was the best I liked in terms of AT driving experience. But the interiors are let down, common people find it hard to differentiate from Creta and the impending face lift in late 2018 or 2019 are the primary reasons to reject it.
3) XUV W11 AT (0) AWD - On paper ticks all the boxes. But driving refinement is not on par with above 2 but still I have decided to go for it. I liked it in the test drive and my family loved the acres of space in second row.

I ruled out Tiguan as I felt it is not VFM. I did not even test drive HEXA XTA as it is body on frame, misses ESP etc and felt that it would not be good for my primary need of city commute.

Could you please let me know your advice? Should I go for XUV W11 AT(O) AWD or do you have other recommendation? According to what I can see, only Tucson is expected to get a face lift in late 2018 but other than that the choices for AT SUV under 30 lakhs ex show price are restricted to above 3.
Acelerar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 22:39   #192
J D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav_K View Post
Zulaikha Velachery Showroom? Looks like Xuv is selling in all colors. Almost all colors lined up.
Yes, same place!

All colours in there; in fact, an AT in white and a Silver Manual for TD!

The XUV AT did not excite as much as the XTA at slow speeds, though the XUV is lighter and the engine feels more peppy, the XTA seemed more eager to move on in lower gears, revs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
It has the gizmos …..
Is it so difficult to fix these "gizmos" in the Hexa, not sure why a lot of Hexa supporters get so defensive whenever we talk about this. I say, would you like a Hexa with or without the gizmos? Will ride quality change if they added a few more bells and whistles? Cars half of Hexa's price are better appointed...

Let me confess, I would have bought the XTA if it had TC and ESP - forget the gizmos - you can't fit these aftermarket? A big miss for a car about 20L.

"I guess the advertisements convey … Those who're more concerned about actual vehicular capabilities, refinement and quality, like the Hexa." -
and don't forget the undercover agent AD of the Aria

Quote:
Not under a few but every condition...Hexa's auto is far more refined and the RWD itself seems equivalent to XUV's AWD!
This is one comment a lot of the Hexa supporters pride on.

Did I read it wrong that the AWD system on the XUV is from the same manufacturer?

Can anyone clarify on this? Yes, even if it is same, how it is integrated with the powertrain will make a huge difference, but?

""Coming to reliability, weren't the previous gen XUVs plagued with niggles initially during launch? I don't remember any such issues with Aria and hence confident that same would be true for Hexa as well."""

Aria was a good car, many termed it ahead of the times, and our market was not ready etc, but I don't think it is true that Aria did not have "such issues", lot has been said about it all over the internet, but no doubt the Hexa is a much better car than the Aria.
J D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 07:17   #193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Would definitely not buy an AWD auto when the Hexa's auto is far more refined and the RWD itself seems equivalent to XUV's AWD!
Hope you drive more up to the mountains and steep inclines. And the hotel ramps at few places are such that any RWD will hopelessly spin wheels. At this place, a FWD will move forward with screeches and wheelspins, but it should move forward.

Hills are barely 150 kilometers from where I stay and on most weekends, I do go there, so if I had to choose between a FWD and a RWD, I will prefer a FWD. This weekend I was here and any RWD couldn't climb the ramp if coming from the opposite direction, believe me.

I personally prefer a vehicle with a 4L, but we don't get that here. And as far as the reliability debate goes, I would rather be quiet. There are ample threads to conclude, while none is the hallmark, one manufacturer's reliability score [at least in my books] is better than others.

Last edited by Sheel : 11th June 2018 at 07:30.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 08:42   #194
J D
BHPian

Quote:
Yes you read it wrong. Although i doubt its the only thing you got wrong!... We can't start discussing and debating which one as it links directly to the preferences of a buyer!

The "Driving experience" of the XTA is indeed great, but I can't agree the other versions come close, the clutch feel/travel, gear shift, heavy steering, are some reasons I decided against the Hexa.

Thanks for the inputs, but, as mentioned, very quickly, on talk of deficiencies defensive, aggressive and personal...anyway let me say this, I will buy the XUV again over Hexa if I have to - absolutely right, personal choice!
Old 11th June 2018, 10:10   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
My comments on these two cars after driving them extensively would be -
1. Hexa has better ride quality than XUV
2. Hexa has more space than XUV
3. XUV looks better than Hexa from the side. Hexa is too van like.
4. Xuv has more gadgets than Hexa, so appeals more to some people
5. Mahindras have historically been more reliable than Tatas, so long term reliability of Hexa has to be looked into
6. Hexa feels more safer than XUV, it might just be a perception
7. Xuv is faster than the Hexa
All statements are true & mutually exclusive. Find the car that suits you best based on the above statements.
BlackPearl, your statement reminds me of the CAT exam from the early 2000s. Nevertheless well put together. If I am add the following points based on my drive of both these well put together, value for money SUVs.

9. Hexa auto is miles ahead of the XUV auto
10. Seats of the Hexa are firmer than the XUV, some people thus find it dis-comfortable on short trips.
11. Hexa may be slightly more expensive to maintain over 3/5 yrs, given those rare 19" tyres.
12. TASS is a hit or miss depending on your city, but they are trying to get there act together & go out of the way if you land up in a Hexa.

Last edited by goswami.j : 11th June 2018 at 10:11.
goswami.j is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed