Team-BHP - Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/183773-tata-hexa-vs-xuv500-vs-innova-crysta-vs-others-15.html)

""Tata Harrier will be the SUV that will take on the likes of Jeep Compass and Mahindra XUV 500 head on""

people don't know what they are saying, or do they?

Hey MODs...

"" XUV or Hexa - help me decide ""

Can you please demerge the thread from this one... I have a lot to say, but don't think this thread with "Innova" inclusive is the right place.

I see the member "abhi7013" is in BANNED status...

Sorry, but I wanted to find what he knew about the XUV AWD system - My enquiries did not yield the desired result, they are protective of the sources and would like to call it Mahindra AWD system...I found some reference on the Web under an "automotive-site" which reads

"The W8 AWD gets 4×4 AWD variant gets Borg Warner, on-demand all-wheel drive system"

Can the knowledgeable TBHP members/MODs clear this for me please. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nissan1180 (Post 4309104)
It is perfectly fine if you don't like the mature looks of the car. In fact, many of us prefer things that are quirky and conspicuous ( just see the KUV100), and our sense of aesthetics is generally not aligned with the rest of the world. That's a difference betwen demographies. In the first world, a car like the Hexa would be well received. Even in India, there is a segment that is well exposed, well traveled and discerning about quality. Sadly, it is a small segment. I believe the 1000 Hexas being sold every month are going to these homes.

Well travelled and well exposed! Hmm. 😃. I think with trips to 37 countries till now, I find myself reasonably travelled and exposed.

Regards.

(Disclaimer: I am a proud owner of Mystic Copper W11 AT All Wheel Drive Cheeta now and seeing the present day sales figures of Tata Hexa, it's evident that my prediction about Hexa's performance in the market was quite accurate.)

Note from Support: Quote size edited. Please quote only relevant portions of post(s). Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by J D (Post 4427224)
Hey MODs...

"" XUV or Hexa - help me decide..I found some reference on the Web under an "automotive-site" which reads

"The W8 AWD gets 4×4 AWD variant gets Borg Warner, on-demand all-wheel drive system"

Can the knowledgeable TBHP members/MODs clear this for me please. Thanks!

Hi,

yes, you’re right, it is a Borg Warner All Wheel Drive system. In normal mode, it sends 60% power to Front wheels and 40% to rear wheels. With ESP on, it uses traction control and directs extra power if it detects slippages. It does not have MLD, so taking XUV500 on a true blue blooded off-road SUV trail is not advisable. However, this AWD would serve you very well in snow covered roads with AWD Lock on (50% power compulsorily to both forward wheels and rear wheels) and on sand with AWD Lock On and ESP Off (because ESP also uses traction control and cuts engine power to wheels which are spinning more, so in sand it is advisable to put ESP Off).

XUV All Wheel Drive variant is recommended over Hexa by me because in Automatic version Hexa comes only in Rear Wheel Drive.

However, if you are looking at Manual versions only then I would suggest you to go for Hexa’s Manual 4x4 as it is more capable than XUV500’s AWD system when it comes to true off-roading. Hexa, though less on features and some quirky cabin design issues (no storage spaces, front armrest almost non-usable for driver etc) has a more robust chasis and a better 4x4 Manual system.

So, to sum it up,
1. if looking for Automatic transmission, take XUV500 AT AWD.
2. If looking for Manual transmission, take Hexa 4x4 Manual.

regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderingwolf (Post 4428889)
Hi,

yes, you’re right, it is a Borg Warner All Wheel Drive system....
regards

thank you for the detailed response WanderingWolf.
some learned member(s) had doubts if indeed XUV had B-W AWD.

I have already gone for an XUV500 W11 (O) AWD in Crimson Red!
Having a great time...

Happy driving

From XUV500 user manual:
Quote:

Vehicle is by default in AUTO mode.Once the ignition key is turned ON, ITM system turns into AUTO mode. In AUTO mode, whenever any slippage is detected in the FRONT wheels (slippery surfaces like icy roads, wet surfaces, etc.) thet torque is transferred to the REAR wheels by the ITM system
XUV is a FWD vehicle only, even in its AWD variant. The power goes to rear wheels in a 60:40 split, only when the need arises. You can force the power split, by pressing the AWD button.

I think my query is appropriate to be posted in this thread as these are the 3 vehicles in my contention.

I sold of my 5 year old W8 XUV500 couple of days back.

Requirements :
Since my family is used to XUV space, the first requirement is a large vehicle
The reason for selling XUV is to upgrade to Automatic, so that is the second key
Budget - Max 20L ie., 10L funding from the XUV proceeds and 10L loan for 72 or 84 months tenure
To keep the EMI per month to a figure of around 17 k
Middle row - Bench seat only
Basic required safety features
A powerful Engine for comfortable long drives
Handling should be very good / stable

Not very much required :
Sun Roof
AWD
Fancy tit bits - not an issue at all

There are three possibilities for me :

1. Innova Crysta GX AT around 20L
2. Hexa XMA around 18 L
3. XUV W7 AT around 17 L

I have test driven both XUV (new) and Crysta Auto. Yet to drive the Hexa (but i am sure it will be very good). I liked both of them, but i felt more Car Like in the Crysta and with the awesome power in PWR mode, it was really good. I took the Crysta to a very undulated road and it perfomed nicely without too much sudden body rolls (both left and right deep dips !).

By taking a loan for this much, my mind repetedly says that it is wise to put that money on a Crysta instead of the other two.

With respect to service, i have had a great experience with both Mahindra and Toyota, so they are equal there. Not sure about Tata

My MAJOR concern on Tata is this --- With the perception of the people about Tata and also the sales numbers in 700+ for Hexa recently, I do not know how the Hexa will hold up, say in the next 3-4 years, if IN CASE, for some reason, i need to sell the vehicle.

When i discuss all these stuff with my wife and my grown up daughters, they say, the safe horse is the Crysta which can be kept for long without any major headaches, btw, i am 50 now.

Thought of putting it here to hear some comments, ideas and suggestions.

Thank you.

OR.. there is one another thought !

there are few 2014 Ford Endeavours (Older design, 3.0L 4x4 AT), around 45k kms done for close to 12 L - Here, financially it will be very comfortable - would this be a god option ??

Swami

Quote:

Originally Posted by J D (Post 4428998)
I have already gone for an XUV500 W11 (O) AWD in Crimson Red!

Oh Wow, that’s lovely. Welcome to the club. I too own a W11 AT AWD (O) in Mystic Copper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swami69 (Post 4429344)

2. Hexa XMA around 18 L
3. XUV W7 AT around 17 L

With respect to service, i have had a great experience with both Mahindra and Toyota, so they are equal there. Not sure about Tata

My MAJOR concern on Tata is this --- With the perception of the people about Tata and also the sales numbers in 700+ for Hexa recently, I do not know how the Hexa will hold up, say in the next 3-4 years, if IN CASE, for some reason, i need to sell the vehicle.

Since AWD isn't a hard and fast requirement, the Hexa XMA should be a good bet, purely in terms of the vehicle.
The XUV is the only one with a sunroof - the dealer installed sunroof in the Hexa doesn't count. Fortunately, this is not a big deal for you - since I wouldn't recommend the XUV as it will simply not feel like an upgrade over your current car. Depending on your tastes, it may be same old same old or reassuringly familiar. There's that to think of.

Since you are looking at the XMA, electronics shouldn't be much of a problem down the road. And Tata appear to have cleaned up their service act, especially for Hexa owners. Experiences posted here on Team BHP are a testament to that. Service and reliability shouldn't be major worries, especially for the XMA. Even Toyota isn't infallible, and the Crysta had its share of niggles - I don't think this aspect should get you worried. The Aria was eventually reliable, and major components have proven their mettle by now.

The lack of a full suite of airbags (in everything below XT variants) and the still perplexing lack of esp etc on the automatics are concerns though.

The crux of the matter though, is, if there's any chance you're going to sell 3-4 years down the line, the Hexa isn't for you. There's just no telling how badly it'll go - through no fault of the product. Even if Tata's reputation has done a 180 by then, you'll still get better resale with an Innova.

You pay more upfront for the Innova, but you make up for it in resale. And by now, I doubt that any niggles remain there - you can't go wrong with it.

In summary, I'd say that after a test drive of the Hexa, if you feel that it's at least as good as the Crysta, and can make up your mind that you won't have the itch to change the vehicle in a short time, you can save the money and get more for what you pay as well with the Hexa.
Or, if you find it much, much better than the Crysta, and prioritise the time spent everyday in the car over money lost on a depreciating asset, still go for the Hexa.
If not, the Crysta is for you.

Quote:

there are few 2014 Ford Endeavours (Older design, 3.0L 4x4 AT), around 45k kms done for close to 12 L - Here, financially it will be very comfortable - would this be a god option ??
Absolute no no. Leaf springs, low rear bench = supremely uncomfortable. In addition to not suiting your requirements, it's also a dinosaur by today's standards.

If you're looking for a less MPV-ish wildcard, I have one for you. If you're willing to wait (and slightly stretch your budget - most common piece of advice on team BHP other than prioritising safety :)) - the upcoming XUV 700 might be the best fit for a hitherto satisfied XUV 500 owner.

I personally feel the Innova and Hexa are above the XUV 500. And the Hexa the better car among the two, easily.
But I think the upcoming re-badged Rexton will be even better, provided Mahindra doesn't cheapen it out too much to keep costs down (as I suspect they will).
But then, despite it being probably reliable, I personally wouldn't be able to go for the first iteration of the vehicle - I'd wait for the niggles to be sorted out.

Which brings us back to the Hexa and Innova.

Take your pick, sir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mu009 (Post 4429439)
Which brings us back to the Hexa and Innova.

Take your pick, sir.

Thank you very much for such a detailed reply. Much appreciated. I am waiting for the Tata guys to arrange a test drive of their automatic.Till then, i would wait for few more to give their feedbacks.

**corner of my mind - While my wish and my idea is to retain the vehicle for atleast 7-8 years till my retirement, with many things changing, if i have a compulsion to let this go in the next 3 years, that is where the Crysta Scores better. This is always working in my mind i.e., the liquidity part of it

Quote:

2. Hexa XMA around 18 L
3. XUV W7 AT around 17 L

I feel Hexa might be a good car (may not be as fuss-free as the Innova, but it certainly won't be unrelaible) to own for a long time, but if you're looking to sell at 4-5 years, it might be a depreciation disaster.

If you're looking to upgrade soon, I'd say buy a used Fortuner (old gen) and sell it within 5 years. The 2.5 liter models will be a bargain.

If you're looking at the long term, I'd buy an Innova over the Hexa. Although just personal opinion, I think you should read on.

Reason: It's a brand new car.

You'll feel like you're owning the same car (XUV 500) for 5 + 8/9/10 years or the Hexa will age faster in my opinion. Compared to my old Innova, Hexa felt good, but the Crysta was a class apart IMHO.

The Innova is a quantum leap from the previous gen, and it is simply is better in every department- except the tighter handling. But then, who drives an MPV for handling prowess?

Quote:

2. Hexa XMA around 18 L
3. XUV W7 AT around 17 L

I own a Crysta 2.8 GX AT and have driven 45k Kms till now in almost 2 years. The 2.8L engine is very well refined and the power on tap is so good, that you almost dont feel that you are driving a big vehicle. Almost all the initial niggles are sorted out now, except for the front brakes. There is a irritating feel of steering vibration when braking from high speeds (> 100KMPH) and most of us owners have reported the same issue. This is mainly due to the inadequate brake pads used on Crysta (confirmed by our expert T-BHPIans). But doesnt mean the braking is any bad. Its very good and can stop easily from high speeds within a short distance.

You will need to account a little more amount ~1L for the GX variant - HeadUnit, Fog lamps and to spruce up the interiors a bit, replace the ugly dash board panel with the ZX variant Fake wood panel and that makes things look a bit better at the front. And thats about it. You will be set for a long time to come.

I wouldnt look at XUV at all, mainly due to the luggage space. Drove Hexa XTA for a bit and I felt the Crysta is better. My decision was mainly on the fact, that I am not ready to spend 20L on a Tata or Mahindra. They are good, but they are still not there and not to mention about the resale price a Toyota vehicle commands. All the best with your decision.

Quote:

I think my query is appropriate to be posted in this thread as these are the 3 vehicles in my contention.

I sold of my 5 year old W8 XUV500 couple of days back.

Requirements :
Since my family is used to XUV space, the first requirement is a large vehicle
The reason for selling XUV is to upgrade to Automatic, so that is the second key
Budget - Max 20L ie., 10L funding from the XUV proceeds and 10L loan for 72 or 84 months tenure
To keep the EMI per month to a figure of around 17 k
Middle row - Bench seat only
Basic required safety features
A powerful Engine for comfortable long drives
Handling should be very good / stable

Not very much required :
Sun Roof
AWD
Fancy tit bits - not an issue at all

2. Hexa XMA around 18 L
3. XUV W7 AT around 17 L

I have test driven both XUV (new) and Crysta Auto. Yet to drive the Hexa (but i am sure it will be very good). I liked both of them, but i felt more Car Like in the Crysta and with the awesome power in PWR mode, it was really good. I took the Crysta to a very undulated road and it perfomed nicely without too much sudden body rolls (both left and right deep dips !).

By taking a loan for this much, my mind repetedly says that it is wise to put that money on a Crysta instead of the other two.

When i discuss all these stuff with my wife and my grown up daughters, they say, the safe horse is the Crysta which can be kept for long without any major headaches, btw, i am 50 now.

Thought of putting it here to hear some comments, ideas and suggestions.

Thank you.

OR.. there is one another thought !

Swami

I wonder what you finally went with :)

I found myself in the same quandary not too long ago, and found myself inside of a Hexa XT a few weeks ago. There have been scares, yes, about the fact that we bought a Tata, in the few weeks that we have had the car for. However, I am yet to feel disappointed with the purchase, more so because of the astounding levels of service from TASS.

The car itself is magnificently comfortable (it flattens humps, irons out bumps/craters). Quirks such as the lack storage in the front have been addressed by a little digging around on Amazon.

We have a Toyota in the family, and while it is supremely reliable (leave it alone for a few months and it will still drive like a charm), Toyotas (barring the LC or Fortuner) generally don't have a soul.

The Hexa tugs at the right places in the chest cavity. It will, however, depreciate like a stone in water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swami69 (Post 4429465)
Thank you very much for such a detailed reply. Much appreciated. I am waiting for the Tata guys to arrange a test drive of their automatic.Till then, i would wait for few more to give their feedbacks.

**corner of my mind - While my wish and my idea is to retain the vehicle for atleast 7-8 years till my retirement, with many things changing, if i have a compulsion to let this go in the next 3 years, that is where the Crysta Scores better. This is always working in my mind i.e., the liquidity part of it

Hi there. I understand the state you are in. This is like a tug of war. On one hand are the innate desires of your heart and on the other hand the sense of responsibility- the urge to secure for future life, not to take much loan and consolidate your investments. And with a family reliability i think is your top priority. So a vehicle which is proven, fairly reliable and most of all doesn't depreciate like a stone in water as someone said will fit your bill perfectly. Now we all know where I am pointing at. But it's your decision ultimately. So think considering everything and then listen to that faint voice that comes from the bottom of your heart. Hope this helps

Hi Swami -

What was your final pick ?
I was in the exact same quandry 2 months ago, and i ended up picked the 2.8 AT Crysta 'G'. I also had to put in another lakh and half to spruce up the seats, the system, faux wood etc..Its been 6 weeks and 5 K KM;s and i must say i am thoroughly enjoying it

Decision making was quite simple for me now. I used to own an EX and a GX Safari those days and have had enough experience with the Tata's and their service (no complaints though i did go thru a few bumps, i guess i was so used to their Service, that the love for a Safari makes everything else irrelevant ). Though i still crave for my GX, the way both those Safari's pinched me at Resale is something i cant go through again.

In comparison, my Innova fetched me such a beautiful offer, that i exchanged that for the Crysta. I am 46, and decision making for a car reaches a different level, compared to what it used to be be for me when i was in my 30's. That said, every metre that i have driven the Crysta has been such a joy for me.