Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which SUV / MUV would you choose?
Tata Hexa 526 53.08%
Mahindra XUV500 187 18.87%
Toyota Innova Crysta 217 21.90%
Mahindra Scorpio 8 0.81%
Tata Safari Storme 29 2.93%
Other (please specify) 24 2.42%
Voters: 991. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2019, 16:34   #241
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others

Quote:
Originally Posted by balderash_12 View Post
A person I know well has purchased the Innova Crysta 2.8 ZX AT as a replacement for their Hyundai Verna SX CRDi. Speaks volumes about the sheer brand attraction. One of the key influencing decisions behind voting for the Crysta. The Indian customer has an elephant’s memory (I don’t though, can’t seem to remember from where I stole this particular line from ) and they will not forget the Aria’s issues.
@balderash_12, This is a significant input. I happen to be in the same position at this time. My Hyundai Verna SX has reached retirement age (7 years old) and I am in the market for a Rs 21-23 lakhs MUV (need min 7 seats and optionally at least 600 liter luggage carrying capacity).

I am vacillating between Crysta VX and Tata Hexa. The other candidates in @Aditya's list have been dissected enough on this thread by forum members, but I would like all to comment on my two fundamental doubts -

1. Crysta reliability and manufacturer's engineering excellence has no comparison, if that is so why need 5000KM service calls? I mean is it because they keep cleaning up inside that the car shows little/no failure? Its very inconvenient though!

2. Hexa is a amazing package but, a brilliant car with a dodgy service experience does not work well. Specially after spending Rs 22-23 lakhs (ORP in Bangalore for Hexa). I have heard hair raising stories about Tata service centers.
allinbalance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 17:08   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinbalance View Post
I am in the market for a Rs 21-23 lakhs MUV (need min 7 seats and optionally at least 600 liter luggage carrying capacity).
Wait for MG Hector's 7 seat. Hopefully they launch it soon in India after tasting success with their 5 seat one

Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others-chevrolet_captiva_interior_4.jpg

Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others-chevrolet_captiva_interior_12.jpg
Old 16th November 2019, 17:23   #243
BHPian

@gutsy My concern remains the same! MG Hector is a hit product, connected car technology, a lot of tech packed into it — true, but the company is just in —there is no service track record and even if they try hard they will need time to build a good one.

As you can guess, I am looking at an MPV which is a highway cruiser — I have long commute and luggage to move. A good service assurance is a key concern.

Last edited by allinbalance : 16th November 2019 at 17:23. Reason: Typo
allinbalance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 17:31   #244
BHPian

Quote:
@gutsy My concern remains the same! MG Hector is a hit product, connected car technology, a lot of tech packed into it — true, but the company is just in —there is no service track record and even if they try hard they will need time to build a good one.
They do have GM experience and legacy. As you may know MG Hector is nothing but Chevy Captiva. So, they may build the network fast and quick in India.
Old 17th November 2019, 11:26   #245
BHPian

Quote:
@balderash_12, This is a significant input. I happen to be in the same position at this time. My Hyundai Verna SX has reached retirement age (7 years old) and I am in the market for a Rs 21-23 lakhs MUV (need min 7 seats and optionally at least 600 liter luggage carrying capacity).

I am vacillating between Crysta VX and Tata Hexa. The other candidates in @Aditya's list have been dissected enough on this thread by forum members, but I would like all to comment on my two fundamental doubts -

1. Crysta reliability and manufacturer's engineering excellence has no comparison, if that is so why need 5000KM service calls? I mean is it because they keep cleaning up inside that the car shows little/no failure? Its very inconvenient though!

2. Hexa is a amazing package but, a brilliant car with a dodgy service experience does not work well. Specially after spending Rs 22-23 lakhs (ORP in Bangalore for Hexa). I have heard hair raising stories about Tata service centers.
I bought Hexa 4x4 after evaluating most of the options. Hector was not considered due to its Chinese origins and they will take at least a couple of years to get the product quality right. Hexa, as a stand alone product, is a brilliant offering. Even for 4x2, I would have picked Hexa over Innova. Option of 4x4 was icing on the cake. Steering and gearbox stiffness is hugely overstated in the online reviews of auto mags. Coming from XUV, I find it fairly comfortable to drive. Did a 5 hour drive in Delhi during Diwali traffic. Gearbox is notchy in first two years but getting better as I put the miles on her.

Service experience for Tata is not bad. I owned Manza for 1.25L KMS. It needs effort to extract service but it is good enough. I can assure you that Tata responds when customer has trouble. Have had a minor issue with my car registration and raised it on Twitter. Mail with right folks from Tata and dealership was initiated by the company and issue resolved.

Toyota sales experience with MGF Toyota in Gurgaon was sickening. I think their service experience comes out great because their cars need so little service or repair & maintenance.

Last edited by 5kmiles : 17th November 2019 at 11:30.
5kmiles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2020, 17:28   #246
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Friends need your help. I am planning to buy an SUV in the range of around 15-20 lakhs and take advantage of the BS IV discount. Which one should I consider buying and how much discount should I expect (can be a range).

I have these cars in my mind as of now but open to suggestions.
Mahindra Scorpio, Mahindra XUV 500, Toyota Innova, Tata Harrier

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd February 2020 at 19:33. Reason: typo corrected
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:39   #247
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygupta2 View Post
Friends need your help. I am planning to buy an SUV in the range of around 15-20 lakhs and take advantage of the BS-IV discount. Which one should I consider buying and how much discount should I expect (can be a range).
Would be great if you can give us some pointers as to what you are looking for in the SUV that you decide to buy?
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:51   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Friends need your help. I am planning to buy an SUV in the range of around 15-20 lakhs and take advantage of the BS IV discount. Which one should I consider buying and how much discount should I expect (can be a range).

I have these cars in my mind as of now but oepn to suggestions.
Mahindra Scorpio, Mahindra XUV 500, Toyota Innova, Tata Harrier
With the amount you have decided on spending on the car, I suggest you to go for a BS VI compliant car.
Since you would be keeping the car for atleast the next 5 years a BS VI car will be peace of mind.

Last edited by jigar : 22nd February 2020 at 19:00.
Old 23rd February 2020, 10:47   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Would be great if you can give us some pointers as to what you are looking for in the SUV that you decide to buy?
The first thing I am looking for is a big discount. I just want to get a car for the sake of discounts. Secondly, I owned an XUV from 2013-15 and was very satisfied with the performance of the car so I am biased towards it.

My driving is mostly on the highway, so I want a powerful car with great safety features. Driving pleasure and comfort is also something that I value the most.

Also, I want to know if I buy a BS-IV car what are the problems that could come in the car after 4-5 years. My average holding period for any car is around 8-10 years with the exception of XUV which I sold soon as I upgraded to C class from there. Would request your response. Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 20:02   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The first thing I am looking for is a big discount. I just want to get a car for the sake of discounts.
My driving is mostly on the highway, so I want a powerful car with great safety features. Driving pleasure and comfort is also something that I value the most.

Also, I want to know if I buy a BS-IV car what are the problems that could come in the car after 4-5 years.
Tata Harrier is your best bet.
But if you can stretch for a Tucson or CRV - nothing like it!

Scorpio is a segment below the others you've listed, xuv soon to be replaced, innova won't give you a great deal today but you'll have great resale 8-10 years later if you get the 2.8AT, and the Harrier otherwise has some amazing deals - and is comfortable and decent to drive as well + safe!

Regarding BS4 to BS6 - the main addition is DPF in BS6 vehicles - which requires replacement over time and can be expensive to fix. Also until BS6 fuel is available throughout the country there could be a few teething issues IMO.

In comparison - if you buy a BS4 diesel : it could require injector replacement sooner than later due to lower sulphur BS6 diesel fuel.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 09:23   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Tata Harrier is your best bet.
But if you can stretch for a Tucson or CRV - nothing like it!

Scorpio is a segment below the others you've listed, xuv soon to be replaced, innova won't give you a great deal today but you'll have great resale 8-10 years later if you get the 2.8AT, and the Harrier otherwise has some amazing deals - and is comfortable and decent to drive as well + safe!

Regarding BS4 to BS6 - the main addition is DPF in BS6 vehicles - which requires replacement over time and can be expensive to fix. Also until BS6 fuel is available throughout the country there could be a few teething issues IMO.

In comparison - if you buy a BS4 diesel : it could require injector replacement sooner than later due to lower sulphur BS6 diesel fuel.
Thanks for the wonderful reply, just 2-3 add on queries:

1. Does it make sense to buy a BS-IV for 10 years? What is the extra cost that I will have to pay maintaining it vs BS VI (a ball park per year figure would suffice). You also said that DPF is expensive to fix. How expensive?
2. I really love CRV but the price is way above what I want to spend.
3. How much discount could I expect on Harrier? (The company is saying a total discount of Rs. 1,00,000.) How much can they stretch?

Thanks a lot again. Your reply clear a lot of doubts and created more
Old 25th February 2020, 09:31   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Quote:
1. Does it make sense to buy a BS-IV for 10 years? What is the extra cost that I will have to pay maintaining it vs BS VI (a ball park per year figure would suffice). You also said that DPF is expensive to fix. How expensive?
Please check this post on why BS6 diesel won't adversely affect BS4 vehicles:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4757704 (Why I think BS6 / BSVI diesel won't harm BS4 / BSIV engines)
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 16:43   #253
Team-BHP Support

Re: The "I Booked my Car" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Finances re-adjusted. We are now ready to pick up our family car.

Make : Mahindra
Model : BS6 XUV500
Variant : W7
Fuel : Diesel
Booking Date : 08/06/2020
Color : Mystic Copper
Expected Delivery Date : 45 days from today
Freebies : Not negotiated yet
Accessories Planned: None for now
Price : Rs 16.80L OTR (tentative)
Booking Amount : Rs 5,000/- (online booking, through Mahindra SYOUV)
Any reason to change from the Harrier last month to XUV500? Last time you mentioned priorities had changed and you couldn't get the Harrier since finances needed adjusting.

Now with XUV500, isn't that same price band?

And really in 2020, buying a 10 year old model about to get discontinued and all new gen expected in months does not make a lot of sense. Not seeing any value in spending close to 18L on a 10 year old model.

You can even get the MG hector + coming next month for similar price. Both cars have equal amount of chinese components as well for all you know.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 8th June 2020 at 17:24.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 16:55   #254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Finances re-adjusted. We are now ready to pick up our family car.
Agree with Vidyut.

And you already had the XUV once earlier, right? Does it make sense to spend 17 big ones on the same vehicle again?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 21:34   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Any reason to change from the Harrier last month to XUV500? Last time you mentioned priorities had changed and you couldn't get the Harrier since finances needed adjusting.
First, I am in need of a 7-seater since I have 70+-year-old parents at home who are quickly becoming chronic patients and will need constant visits to medical centers 300 kms away in the near future. With at least 1 other member of our family in tow for support, plus a wife and child, it's better to have a 7-seater option available and not use it, rather than have a 5-seater and regret the need of an extra seat or two.

This is why I disposed off my EcoSport.

Third, the local Tata dealership has been very indifferent in their behaviour towards me ever since the Nexon & Tiago service fiascos. I was really mad at them back then when they had put all blame on me and absolved themselves of all the forced stuff they did on my Nexon! Still, I had given them another chance but I was forced to re-evaluate my relationship with them after I felt they were showing little interest in me or my booking every time I tried to contact them or visit them since February, plus my Ma & Pa getting increasingly sick with old age problems from mid-March, I ditched the Harrier booking.

Now, after getting some returns from my finances since May-end, I have now saved enough for the future and have some additional dough. In my revised range, the options I have is the XUV500 W7 (at 14.48), Creta SX (at 14.51) and if I stretch to the max, the Harrier XM (15). (The Seltos is out due to the dealership being 300 kms away and it being a 5-seater)

I have no interest in the 5-seater Creta at all, it doesn't meet my requirements and in fact I am wary of the car ever since the brake failure issue of my older one. The Harrier XM has 2 things going against it now - the local Tata dealership's aloofness and plus it's a 5-seater (again) with plenty of lesser features.

Quote:
Now with XUV500, isn't that same price band?
Nope, it's not. The Harrier booking was for the top AT variant, which would come to around 21.5 lakhs OTR. It was a selfish, personal booking I had done for myself only, without thinking of others in my family.

Quote:
And really in 2020, buying a 10 year old model about to get discontinued and all new gen expected in months does not make a lot of sense. Not seeing any value in spending close to 18L on a 10 year old model.
It's 16.8L OTR. I haven't negotiated on insurance and other factors yet, but I am confident of knocking off at least 50K from the quoted OTR.

Frankly, there is no 7-seater in the sub-15 lakh range. I have to think of the future now. And I don't want to tow my parents in ambulances or used private taxis to hospitals 300 kms all 4 ways (Raipur, Visakhapatnam, Hyderabad or Bhubaneshwar) when the emergencies arise.

It doesn't bother me that the model will receive an overhaul - the overall utility of the older XUV still cannot be denied. Also, the all-new gen which will come out at least a year later, is expected to get pricey by at least 1.25-1.50 lakhs across variants, which would take the new middle W7 variant (if they continue with the same variant nomenclature), out of my range. Then the pricing will get over 19 lakhs OTR, as you pointed out.

Quote:
You can even get the MG hector + coming next month for similar price. Both cars have equal amount of chinese components as well for all you know.
MG dealership is 300 kms away. Not interested in the Hector anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And you already had the XUV once earlier, right? Does it make sense to spend 17 big ones on the same vehicle again?
Yes, I did.

My earlier XUV500 had a gear-shifting issue which the dealership couldn't resolve, though they did their best every time I brought it in and worked patiently with it. I had to sell it off in 7 months due to that one problem.

Reports of the new 155HP engine and overall since then has been generally positive, specially in our colony and community. Plus it's a tried and tested vehicle, plus the behaviour of the local Mahindra dealership and service has been excellent with me, hence went ahead.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 8th June 2020 at 21:36.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed