Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which SUV / MUV would you choose?
Tata Hexa 526 53.08%
Mahindra XUV500 187 18.87%
Toyota Innova Crysta 217 21.90%
Mahindra Scorpio 8 0.81%
Tata Safari Storme 29 2.93%
Other (please specify) 24 2.42%
Voters: 991. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2017, 09:53   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others

Well, despite its higher pricing, the Innova delivers so much on reliability and driving comfort that its worth all the extra bucks. While all these cars vary in terms of features (3rd row space and entry, music systems, urban performance and handling, looks and fancy tech), my way of judgement is simply to see which car I can drive for 10 hours a day in a mix of urban roads and highways. The Innova would truly deliver then, the XUV might come close but with such a long list of niggles and the generic Mahindra post sales unreliability, it loses out in my books.

Interestingly, I have been to Tata showroom twice to test drive the Hexa, and surprisingly, they had no one in the showroom at 11:00 am to tell us about the car or allow a test drive. There were 3+ customers on each occasion who just checked out the car in their parking lot and went back disappointed - the interiors were full of dust marks and looked like a 5 year old unattended car. I have started to believe what was earlier talked in this forum about how Hexa could be a big flop, but the car may not be entirely responsible for it.
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:05   #47
BHPian

There are many ways an individual evaluates a car in our country. Factors like fun-to-drive, head v/s heart (vice-versa), after-sales are one part of it whereas there is another part (for individuals like me) who decide on their next car based upon the vehicles already at home and also keeping in mind the family priorities. I am yet to come across a person in real life who would decide on buying any of these vehicles with only an 'I' in his mind. Purchasing of these kind of vehicles is often a family matter in our country and rightly so. After-all, why buy a 7-seater if it's only you and your partner travelling in it unless you are moving your house once every three months (Lighter note)

We already have 2 two-wheelers (both used by me) and two cars - FIAT Grande Punto (Brother's) and a FIAT Linea TJet (Thanks to my wonderful wife). So if I were in the market for such a vehicle, then family will be a top priority.

TATA Safari Storme: I still love this vehicle. Will I buy it? Yes and No, YES if I have money to spare then this is one vehicle I wish to own but NO coz I am not that filthy rich and also how can I ever convince my family to buy another 5-seater!

Mahindra Scorpio: Whenever I think of this vehicle, the SINGHAM scene comes to my mind. Will I buy it? No, both the FIATs in our family have spoiled us with their ride and handling characteristics and also, Scorpio on the inside feels cramped. Not a perfect vehicle to keep my parents comfortable on the longer drives.

Tata Hexa: Great reviews, huge leap in quality, Best TATA ever, superb ride quality, Long safety features, awesome equipment levels? Will I buy one then? Frankly no again. even though the car comes loaded with safety features especially, I would not consider this plainly due to TATA's bad reputation when it comes to after-sales. Tata Aria too promised a premium experience but then we all know how TATA actually ended up handling it's Aria customers.I am not even taking my experience with the TATA showroom personnel on my visit to their showroom to check the Aria, If I did then I would possibly harbour only hated towards Tata. Before am punched hard for being a FIAT loyalist of sorts and talking about TATA after-sales, let me clarify that this being a family vehicle to me with my parents using it, I would not want to be left stranded in the middle of nowhere waiting for assistance and then longer waits for procuring the necessary replacement parts. FIAT's too have this concern but then I wouldn't buy a FIAT's MUV for the same very reason.

Mahindra XUV5OO: This is one car which made sure Mahindra too is associated with the term PREMIUM. XUV5OO and HEXA reflects the major differences between their respective manufacturers. When TATA's were just thinking of going premium, Mahindra were already in the market with the product and by the time TATA actually comes out with a Premium product, the Mahindra XUV5OO is already a cult of sorts and the benchmark for the TATA product! Will I buy one? Aah it's a painful no. Even though all my showroom visit experiences with the Mahindra have been between good to awesome, I hate the way the new XUV5OO looks and also the non-existent luggage space. After-sales - Though not as big a concern as with the TATA's - is still a factor. However, if I had to end my search here then it would be the XUV5OO (with some idea to manage the luggage space though). Also, am very sure that being the more pro-active manufacturer compared to TATA, HEXA launch would directly mean improvements and new features being pushed onto the XUV5OO. Ratan Tata is one of my inspiration but then in this fight, I trust Mahindra more.

Toyota Innova Crysta: Not a Toyota fan, hate Toyota for the exorbitant pricing, Not a great looker (I hate the way all cars are turning SUV-ish nowadays) but then frankly no other car here can guarantee the peace of mind and the level of premiumness associated with the Innova. Toyota's service is in a league of it's own. This would definitely be my pick even though it's expensive as my buying would obviously involve the EMI way and the additional cost is manageable at my end. Big concerns with the Innova though is the extremely short service intervals. I prefer a 15k or 1-year service interval - Again spoilt by the FIATs.

Also, with the Innova people would not be asking me the "Why innova?" question like the way they ask me currently "Why FIAT?"

Now coming to the 'I' part - we all have it, don't we - 'I' would obviously buy none of these and would prefer waiting till I could afford the Ford Endeavour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by power_slave77 View Post
I voted for the Hexa because
2. Expensive spares (Cost of the one headlight is 57000 INR)
Add this to my concerns with the Innova Crysta. 57k seriously

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd February 2017 at 15:12. Reason: Merging consecutive posts...
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:26   #48
BHPian

Test drove the Hexa (XTA) and Crysta (G) automatic variants last weekend. The Hexa felt much better. It felt like a sedan to drive, ride was supreme, handling great for a two and half tonne vehicle, premium look and feel inside out, the 10 speaker setup is something a layman like me can only praise. And that transmission is just so good.

The barebone Crysta G Automatic costs at least a lakh more than the Hexa XTA. I feel, often the concerns about after sales support comes from some pre-conceived notions and history. I know more than one Hyundai customers who are unhappy about their after sales support. When I say that I am "happy Fiat customer" both in terms of their product as well as support, people think its an oxymoron.
devansn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:38   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
When I say that I am "happy Fiat customer" both in terms of their product as well as support, people think its an oxymoron.
I don't . Both the FIATs at our house are reliable to the core. Smaller quality issues aren't an issue to be breaking head for as long as they can be fixed with a feviQuik But then with the Toyota, the service is leagues apart in a way that the Toyota personnels are so damn competent that their customers rarely report the same problem again. When you are puting around 20 lakhs, that's a huge plus point I must add.
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

For me, it has to be the Innova Crysta. All the three engines on offer are brilliant and powerful. The PWR mode as I have experienced in the diesel engines is superb. It looks amazing with those LED headlamps on. The interior layout of the V & Z variant feels upmarket. The ride quality and handling felt decent for its size. And most importantly it's a Toyota. It will go on and on for lakhs of km's. Also, whenever I plan to sell it later it will fetch me a decent resale value when compared to the other in the segment.

Coming to the XUV, I have never liked the overdone design but one thing that I like about the car is the way the engine has been tuned. Tata should definitely learn about engine tuning from M&M. The variants and combinations on offer in the XUV are brilliant. But the sad part is the M&M service experience, niggles and the long term reliability. Someone in the family had a replaced aircon unit within 2 months of the ownership of their XUV. That's ridiculous in today's era. The forum is also filled with many such stories.

Coming to the Hexa, the only thing I liked about that car was the ride quality. It's heavy with a lot of turbo-lag. The last row of seats doesn't tumble down properly. The Concorde experience has been horrible with our Nano so TML sure has a long way to go with their own dealerships. Aria had issues with the DMF and the usual suspension issues. I hope they haven't been carried over. The Hexa sure is a looker but those 19-inch rims are useless in India. Just can't wait to get a ride in the lower variants which are going to have a better ride quality.

The Hexa and XUV are decent packages with a fair share of compromises. To me, the Innova Crysta feels complete. People complaining about the price should also factor in prices of the other segments. The Innova was always priced along with the D1 segment, today the Crysta does the same with features and better engine options. For those who want a proper people's mover like the old Innova can always consider the GX variants.

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 3rd February 2017 at 10:43.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:54   #51
BHPian

Already have a Storme in the family and would go for it in a heartbeat as it suits my requirements. I am not a fan of having too many gizmos in the car and Safari being an outdated design is not a negative in my book.

Having worked at a Mahindra dealership in the past, I have dealt with XUV's niggles and even if the company claims to have fixed them now, I don't like XUV's plasticky feel. Scorpio, while being a nice and sturdy vehicle would be a downgrade from Safari, at least in terms of interior space and ride quality.

However, if I suddenly needed a vehicle with 7 seats, Hexa would be my choice. Much has been said about Toyota's reliability but what price does one pay for this reliability? I personally find Crysta's design too bland for such an expensive car. Even the minivans in the US have more appealing and balanced designs (talking only about design and not the image that they convey). I don't buy a vehicle only for reliability, looks do matter. This is where the Hexa steps in. Even though it is in the league of soccer-mom-mobiles, it does what it does in style.
CarCynic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

This poll reminds me of another poll in the lines of which is the best C category Sedan and Fiat Linea was victorious with a very healthy margin against the likes of Honda City. As we just have to vote by our mouse and not by our wallet, choice seems easy. Tables turn when you actually stand in the showroom with a chequebook in your hand. As can be seen from the actual sales numbers of Linea.

I don't 'wish' history to repeat itself with Hexa but the segment in which it operates is a serious money. So Hexa leading the polls means nothing wrt sales if someone takes Linea as an example. Can someone see a pattern Fiat with Uno, Tata with Aria, Skoda, VW and M&M XUV5OO were welcomed with open arms by our public but they took it for granted save for Mahindra and the rest is and are history.

As of today I would buy XUV5OO as we already have one in my extended family which we got in that allotment lottery and I am itching to get it replaced with XUV5OO AT after reading the good reviews about the transmission.

But my vote could change to Hexa if the mood turns positive if we start getting positive ownership reviews especially with regard to A.S.S. Its completely alright to have small niggles but more importantly the proactive approach in addressing them separated XUV5OO from the rest and laid a strong foundation for M&M. Launching it in Australia also helped matters wrt desirability. But kindly note that it also suffers from not so decent resale value but apart from Toyota all others cars do be it Honda or Ford in this segment.

Innova doesn't have that desirability factor to me personally but it may have one if I convince myself to take a test drive.

P. S. - Can someone enlighten me as to whether Tata has some dedicated service executives like M&M introduced them with XUV5OO which created massive positive vibes.

Last edited by carwatcher : 3rd February 2017 at 11:04.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:11   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted for Hexa.

My personal opinion:

Innova Crysta- Did not like the space(compared to my Safari/Hexa), price tag and the stupid 5000km service interval. Who wants to visit the dealer every 45-60 days?

XUV500- Does not feel as plush as the other two. Ride quality isnt on par with hexa.

Hexa- Because I am a Tata fanboy, with half a dozen tatas in my life so far. I trust the brand, and Hexa is one wonderful product. My 1.2 lakh km run safari will be replaced by an Hexa sometime soon.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:12   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post
I don't . Both the FIATs at our house are reliable to the core. Smaller quality issues aren't an issue to be breaking head for as long as they can be fixed with a feviQuik But then with the Toyota, the service is leagues apart in a way that the Toyota personnels are so damn competent that their customers rarely report the same problem again. When you are puting around 20 lakhs, that's a huge plus point I must add.
I have a Punto too, that has run for more than 1.15 lakh kms in the last 6.7 years. No major issues at all. And I have always got great service from Fiat and their warranty replacement policy is so good that they have replaced some parts even when I was just out of the warranty period.

With Toyota, I completely agree with you on the service quality part. Cost may be higher though. They proactively replace components - even if they can last till the next service, they may replace.
Old 3rd February 2017, 14:56   #55
BHPian

Voted for Hexa as it looks the most VFM product out there.

Crysta is also a solid product but it charges a lot premium for its brand name and also is a MUV and not a SUV.

XUV comes with cheap quality interiors (for its class at least) but drives quite well with great power delivery. Its also feature rich and a proven product.

Safari is a comfortable cruiser but lacks features as well as looks. It does look intimidating and has a great street presence but there is some disproportion felt when seen from the front and the rear. The Hexa is spot on at this.

All in all the Hexa looks like a great product which lies somehwere in between a MUV and SUV, as far as looks are concerned, is priced well, is feature rich and comes with great quality interiors. Lets hope its sales numbers do justice with its attributes and current votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
This poll reminds me of another poll in the lines of which is the best C category Sedan and Fiat Linea was victorious with a very healthy margin against the likes of Honda City. As we just have to vote by our mouse and not by our wallet, choice seems easy. Tables turn when you actually stand in the showroom with a chequebook in your hand. As can be seen from the actual sales numbers of Linea.
+1. Same case with the hot hatch thread, where Abarth Punto won the poll by 3/4th majority over the GT

Last edited by Aditya : 5th February 2017 at 15:28. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 15:00   #56
Team-BHP Support

If I were to buy today, I'd buy an XUV over the Hexa. Buying a Tata v1 car is a big risk in my books.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 15:40   #57
BHPian

For me, it's XUV 500 over Hexa any day. I love the masculine butch looks of XUV. Hexa is a facelifted Aria which is primarily a people mover/chauffer driven car. In fact, that was the reason I stayed away from Innova crysta too (though I liked the car) as I would look like a driver if I'm driving a Hexa or an Innova

After giving a lot of thought, I decided putting 22 lacs on XUV W10 AT model is not worth it. Hence, I got an XUV W6 AT for myself 5 days back and I'm very happy with the car. Agree that the interiors are not that plush, but the features & VFM factor it provides at that price, ease of driving in city compared to Hexa and that beautiful engine mated to an excellent automatic transmission puts a smile on my face everytime I get into the car.

Voted for XUV 500.

Last edited by madhav14 : 3rd February 2017 at 15:41.
madhav14 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 16:26   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
In fact, that was the reason I stayed away from Innova crysta too (though I liked the car) as I would look like a driver if I'm driving a Hexa or an Innova
Driver.

Yes Innova is a perfect cabbie vehicle. I am also stuck between Hexa and XUV but more inclined towards Hexa due to its fresh design and rear luggage space. I will still wait for Hexa next update or at least 5-6 months to check some ownership reviews here or maybe we have next gen XUV also rolling out soon from Mahindra.

My vote goes for Hexa.
roby_dk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 17:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

I would choose the Hexa, but still wait a few monts to see what the initial users report.
Recently had an Accident, first in about 24 years and 11 lakh km of driving, and my Polo is most probably a total loss.
To avoid the Version 1 issues some Tata's face I'm planning on a second hand car for a year or so before going in for a new Hexa.
I sincerely hope that Tata's re establis themselves in the market with the Hexa and Tiago.

Rahul
Old 3rd February 2017, 21:47   #60
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Hexa.
Going by all the reviews, seems like the Tata Hexa is a wonderful product. I hope it remains niggle free and only then can Tata claim to have delivered on it's promise.

The only real drawback of the MPV is it's weight. The penalty of the additional weight shows in the low power to weight ratio in the segment. People indicate that the MT is cumbersome to use in the city. I wouldn't care too much because I'm sure most people would buy AT and the chauffeur driven would buy the MT. If you want a 'sporty' MPV, buy the Innova Crysta 2.4.

Unless I really need a AWD or a AWD+AT, I'm not looking at the XUV500. I'm eager to see the next gen XUV500. I think it's 4 years away though.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th February 2017 at 08:31. Reason: Acronym (PWTR)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks