Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which SUV / MUV would you choose?
Tata Hexa 526 53.08%
Mahindra XUV500 187 18.87%
Toyota Innova Crysta 217 21.90%
Mahindra Scorpio 8 0.81%
Tata Safari Storme 29 2.93%
Other (please specify) 24 2.42%
Voters: 991. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2017, 08:06   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Hexa is a facelifted Aria which is primarily a people mover/chauffer driven car. In fact, that was the reason I stayed away from Innova crysta too (though I liked the car) as I would look like a driver if I'm driving a Hexa or an Innova
One more thing, Crysta and Hexa are just too large. I wouldn't prefer self driving it for that one reason as well.

Plus, the wheelbase is pretty long [liberating space] but minimizing/restricting rampover angle. They just might scrape small humps when fully laden.
Old 4th February 2017, 12:48   #62
BHPian

Test drove the automatic top end. I have to say, highlight was the ride quality. I own a 2014 xuv w8 and in comparison, hexa was light years ahead. Wife and kids too loved the ride. I loved the sheer power and the race mode too. The tranny was wonderful as well. Good quality speakers and usable third row along with some space for luggage with all 3 rows up. As other threads mentioned; storage space to put your wallet and cell phones was a bummer. But, am I ready to pay the Tata badge 22 for this is doubtful.

Sure would love to pay that kinda money to Mahindra but Would love to see how Mahindra responds to this. My only request to Mahindra would to meet or beat the ride quality. I care less about the interior quality etc. If Mahindra just addresses that one area; with the AWD, AT, push start, smart key, ESP and all such features, numbers will for sure increase.
Old 4th February 2017, 14:43   #63
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Plus, the wheelbase is pretty long [liberating space] but minimizing/restricting rampover angle. They just might scrape small humps when fully laden.
Fully loaded or not, it does not scrape speed brakers. Bangalore speed brakers are notorious. They are just like small wall on the road. About 10'-12" in height in general. My ARIA never scraped any of them. With GC being the same as that of ARIA, there is no way Hexa will scrap small humps
Old 4th February 2017, 23:53   #64
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
60% of the folks picking up a Hexa over XUV/Innova/Storme/Scorpio?

The problem with these "opinion" polls (that TML seems to win all too often), is, they aren't really reflected in the real world.
The informed enthusiast's world is different from the layman's real world. Sales will be the exact opposite.

Current Poll

Hexa
XUV500
Innova Crysta

Real world sales

Innova Crysta (ahead by a mile)
XUV500
Hexa

I think the fresh Hexa is going to give the ol' XUV500 a fair fight, at least in the initial period. Whether it's able to sustain or not depends on Tata's muscle. I don't think it'll enjoy the euphoria that the XUV500 did at the time of its launch though.

Jan Sales

Innova = 5013
XUV500 = 2144
Hexa = 1498
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 02:52   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The informed enthusiast's world is different from the layman's real world. Sales will be the exact opposite.

I think the fresh Hexa is going to give the ol' XUV500 a fair fight, at least in the initial period. Whether it's able to sustain or not depends on Tata's muscle. I don't think it'll enjoy the euphoria that the XUV500 did at the time of its launch though.

Jan Sales

Innova = 5013
XUV500 = 2144
Hexa = 1498

Hexa's Achilles heel is the Tata badge and the mental block that goes with it. The product itself is complete. As such, there is a good chance that numbers increase a bit with time with positive word-of-mouth feedback. What goes without saying is that the vehicle must be absolutely niggle free. Any tiny bit of bad publicity will scare away already wary buyers.

If even a basic minimum level of goodwill is built, Hexa can realistically sustain 1500-2000 units every month.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 03:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Hexa's Achilles heel is the Tata badge and the mental block that goes with it. The product itself is complete...
Post 2014, Tata had re-introduced Aria with a higher tune, a newer self adjusting clutch and AFIAK it was made with utmost importance to quality in the Pune factory. Aria was a brilliant product post 2014, so much so that I often feel (mechanically) they've probably just stiffened the chassis, overhauled the interiors, used new coil springs to the same old advanced 5-Link suspension setup, and programmed it with selectable ECU maps. They've not changed the floorboard or even seat design (viz why we still see the bench seats hitting the rear center AC vent, or even the captain seats not being designed to tumble down properly).

EoD its a 6 year old design, post the Hexa experience events, neither is there any euphoria around the product (media-promotions) like when XUV was launched, not even to sufficiently express that "the old days are gone", nor is there any serious assurance of long term reliability (long term warranty) and if they're expecting to sell in 4 digit numbers with just a rare advert here & there, along with a price tag similar to XUV, then it'll be interesting to see if they actually achieve 4 digit numbers, with no introductory launch offer (at a time when markets are down due to demonisation).

Moreover, Tata Motors themselves seem to have already moved on to promote the next brand, TaMo.

Something makes me feel they're under no pressure to ensure that the Hexa sells in very serious numbers. Do note that they did mention these are all stop gap products and they're planning to have a whole new lineup by 2019 (IIRC).

Anyway, nevermind. Until they come up with something significantly different, I don't believe the masses are going to pay much attention. And it doesn't seem like Tata Motors is asking for any too, else we would've seen some serious media promotions like during the Zest launch.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 5th February 2017 at 04:00.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 12:26   #67
Senior - BHPian

There is fair opinion of the missing 'Euphoria' and rightly so. There is absolutely ZERO excitement, advertisement or announcement from Tata Motors.

To think from their perspective, they know that the layman would immediately think about Aria and will not be enticed however hard they may try, so they are approaching like Fiat i.e. advertisements targeted at matured customers who appreciate the suspension, ride quality, etc.

To me the biggest factor that created the Euphoria for XUV5OO was the Dedicated Service Relation Executives (or whatever they are called) which cleared the apprehensions regarding Mahindra A.S.S. (atleast on paper) & Purple Club, etc. Tata's Achilles heel is complete communication break down as they have sarkaari kind of set-up even at the dealer levels which I am still experiencing whenever I get my Linea serviced. Maybe, we will hear some announcement when deliveries start but as of now I have not read or heard anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't think it'll enjoy the euphoria that the XUV500 did at the time of its launch though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Hexa's Achilles heel is the Tata badge and the mental block that goes with it.

If even a basic minimum level of goodwill is built, Hexa can realistically sustain 1500-2000 units every month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
EoD its a 6 year old design, post the Hexa experience events, neither is there any euphoria around the product (media-promotions) like when XUV was launched, not even to sufficiently express that "the old days are gone", nor is there any serious assurance of long term reliability (long term warranty) and if they're expecting to sell in 4 digit numbers with just a rare advert here & there, along with a price tag similar to XUV, then it'll be interesting to see if they actually achieve 4 digit numbers, with no introductory launch offer (at a time when markets are down due to demonisation).
One more thing I am noticing is that Aria was launched with a proper advertisement explaining what is Crossover Utility Vehicle X-UV, still XUV and Hexa are referred to as SUV, it speaks a lot about how we see things. Heights is when they are compared with Innova Crysta which is a MUV. Creta is also referred to as SUV makes me
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 17:39   #68

I have voted for Safari Storme just because I am a fan of safari else Hexa makes lot of sense in today's world. Also, it will be interesting if we get interiors of hexa in Safari Storme.
Old 5th February 2017, 22:24   #69
BHPian

I've voted for XUV500

If it is a SUV, it needs to have AWD/4x4.
That puts Innova crysta out of contention.

Living in city AT is highly desirable.

Tata Hexa: Even thought being new kid on the block, it goes out of contention because 4x4 does not have AT
Tata Safari: No AT

That leaves out
Scorpio S10 4x4 AT and
XUV500 AT/AWD

XUV500 being Better handler/ride of the two would be my pick
Old 6th February 2017, 01:29   #70
BHPian

After selling my Safari dicor in early 2016 I upgraded (so called upgrade) to an XUV 5OO W8 AWD. Soon we were on a road trip to himachal Pradesh. That trip was an eye opener and I parted ways with it in the coming 6 months. Reasons: pathetic suspension, braking that actually has no pedal feedback, ride quality even on the highways is too bouncy very unexpected of a monocoque. I found mahindra no better in service than tata. In fact both are the same. You spend 18 lacs and your cars are serviced sharing bays with 3 wheelers/pick ups.

Upgraded (in real sense) to the Safari Storme few months back and I'm lovng every moment with it. Awesome ride quality, suspensions that can gulp craters, decent interiors and that solid feel!

Got a chance to test drive the hexa XTA for quite a long distance and I must say it ticks all the boxes for me.

* Comfortable seven seater - yes
* Usable boot space - yes
* Good ride quality - yes
* One of the best shifting auto boxes - yes
* Good interiors - yes
* A robust body on frame construction - yes
* ICE that can shame cars from one or two segments above - yes
* Decent asking price - yes

My vote surely goes to the Hexa!

Innova doesn't even come into consideration after that humongous pricing by TKML.
Oranger is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 10:36   #71
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranger View Post
After selling my Safari dicor in early 2016 I upgraded (so called upgrade) to an XUV 5OO W8 AWD. Soon we were on a road trip to himachal Pradesh. That trip was an eye opener and I parted ways with it in the coming 6 months. Reasons: pathetic suspension, braking that actually has no pedal feedback, ride quality even on the highways is too bouncy very unexpected of a monocoque. I found mahindra no better in service than tata. In fact both are the same. You spend 18 lacs and your cars are serviced sharing bays with 3 wheelers/pick ups.

Upgraded (in real sense) to the Safari Storme few months back and I'm lovng every moment with it. Awesome ride quality, suspensions that can gulp craters, decent interiors and that solid feel!

Got a chance to test drive the hexa XTA for quite a long distance and I must say it ticks all the boxes for me.

* Comfortable seven seater - yes
* Usable boot space - yes
* Good ride quality - yes
* One of the best shifting auto boxes - yes
* Good interiors - yes
* A robust body on frame construction - yes
* ICE that can shame cars from one or two segments above - yes
* Decent asking price - yes

My vote surely goes to the Hexa!

Innova doesn't even come into consideration after that humongous pricing by TKML.
Plus One to whatever you said. I was in same dilemma, while upgrading from Indica Vista. Foe two years test drove different vehicles. Finally settled on ARIA. My recent trip to Tawang from Guwahati in self drive Scorpio justified my decision to buy ARIA. Wife was complaining by second day to cancel the trip. This is when she was seated in the front passenger seat. She never complained during several trips undertaken across the country, with and without roads in both VISTA and ARIA and was always eager for road trips
Old 6th February 2017, 10:50   #72
BHPian

HEXA is a great product , People are appreciating in every forum but fact is that based on previous TATA cars reputation and service center quality is pushing people to stay away from it and even they are opting the tried and tested Innova or XUV500 . It takes a lot of time to build the brand reputation. TATA surely need to work on this if they want to succeed with new products otherwise great products will die because of wrong perceptions .
Old 6th February 2017, 12:40   #73
BHPian

It is Hexa to me purely on desirability factor. I have no experience with TM except my liking for Older safari . I am currently driving Vento 1.6 TDI and my possible next upgrade would be Hexa.
Old 6th February 2017, 13:04   #74
Team-BHP Support

I only considered my choices between Innova, Hexa and XUV, not the other options.

I picked the Innova Crysta. Very simple given what I would want it for.

IF I pick a 7 seater, it is less to move around 6 - 7 people most of the time but more to do with moving a combination of 3 - 4 people + luggage including odd size luggage (read bikes, bike bags etc).

For me, the must haves in such a vehicle would be:

1. A/T (even if I drive it only 20% I still want the convenience of A/T available to me).
2. Best possible flexibility for luggage & people combo.
3. Personally, pt 2 means that AWD (or lack of it) is NOT a deal breaker for me and I could still make a case for a MUV / SUV instead of a sedan without requiring AWD as well.

- The XUV has no boot space once the three rows are up. That just doesn't work for me.
- The Hexa is the best to carry 6 people but probably the worst in how the seats turn over. The last row doesn't fold enough and the middle row doesn't really flip over completely. Overall if I had to (for instance), put a couple of bicycles and retain 3 seats for passengers, this would be a non starter in this car.
- The innova although reporting some niggles is I am assuming still not inferior to Hexa / XUV on the reliability charts so I wouldn't hold that against it.

PS: If the Hexa seats operated with exactly the same sort of flexibility that the Innova does, I would have seriously considered taking a punt on the Hexa. I am really impressed with what they've put out there from what little I've read and seen.
Old 6th February 2017, 13:19   #75
BHPian

Hexa all the way! Was looking for a car since 2-3 years. Wanted something on the lines of the XUV, but not XUV itself. Cause it looks yuck (to me) and i felt that the interior quality was deliberately compromised to bring the price lower. The middle row seats simply were not comfortable and the plain footboard increased the bland feelings of the cabin.
However, the touchscreen and instrument cluster were the only two things that kept xuv in my list.
When waiting no longer was an option, i had to book it. But, two days before making what would have been a big mistake, i learnt about hexa's launch. Though it was a tata and the family was against it, i waited. Now, after multiple test drives with many friends and family members, am confident hexa will serve us for atleast a decade! Aria and safari owners will readily agree with this! Also, though it might take time, if xuv managed such huge numbers with the quality it offers, it should be easy for hexa to do the same. And hexa does drives like an SUV, nowhere near innova! So feeling like a driver in Hexa, for me, is out of question!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks