Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which SUV / MUV would you choose?
Tata Hexa 526 53.08%
Mahindra XUV500 187 18.87%
Toyota Innova Crysta 217 21.90%
Mahindra Scorpio 8 0.81%
Tata Safari Storme 29 2.93%
Other (please specify) 24 2.42%
Voters: 991. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2017, 10:36   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others

Tata Hexa sold 1498 units in January against 2144 XUV500 sold.
First month sales do not give real figures, as launch was late in the month, and Tata had stock piled some vehicles too. They have not given a model wise figure for February as yet, but the 2% growth in passenger vehicle numbers is probably due to Hexa.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 22:56   #92
BHPian

Hexa or Innova Crysta

My grandfather is a big toyota fan since we had our innova 2008 V for about 8 years. He was very happy about it and since it wasnt being run much he had to sell it. Now he is very much interested in the new crysta. However it doesnt feel as well built or robust as the first gen and the price tag on it seems to be way more than it is worth. Since the only car on the market which offers the same or more is the tata hexa. Should he really consider the hexa over the innova or just go for the crysta?
Old 17th March 2017, 23:28   #93
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hexa or Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTROD View Post
My grandfather is a big toyota fan since we had our innova 2008 V for about 8 years.
Toyota, the world over is revered for its reliability and in India the Innova is simply one of their best offerings and is so easy to maintain. Toyota's service backup, part quality and even VFM part pricing is not something that can easily be ignored when making comparisons before a purchase decision.

That said, the Hexa is the new kid on the block and very competent too but not yet proven and Tata's service backup, part quality and availability have not been great in the past, mostly a hit or a miss depending on who you ask.

Historically, the Innova has enjoyed great resale value but not the Tata offerings.

I would say take test drives of both and then decide based on the impressions and also other factors like the ones I mentioned above.

Last edited by NPV : 17th March 2017 at 23:29.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 23:42   #94
BHPian

Our innova was very reliable till the day we sold it. It had a few niggles.. I test drove both the cars and both had its plus and minuses. I felt the hexa to be a little more comfortable and spacious compared to the innova. Still waiting on the hexas long term review, but thank you very much. Your advice was really helpful and made things a bit more clearer
Old 18th March 2017, 06:04   #95
Senior - BHPian

Innova Crysta is not reliable/niggle free as the old Innova. There is a thread dedicated for Crysta niggles and issues. Please check http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...va-crysta.html for details.

Hexa looks like a competent package comparing to Crysta. Take extended test drives of both the vehicles and decide. There are many Hexa owners here on TBHP, and we will have few 10K report if you can wait for 2-3 months.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 08:44   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Should he really consider the hexa over the innova or just go for the crysta?
One thing that most reviews have mentioned is the heavy steering in the Hexa coming to fore while turning. So make sure that your grandfather is comfortable with it before finalising. Below is quote from official review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
What you won't:
• Heavy steering (low speeds), long travel MT shifter, big size & wide turning radius are annoying in the city
Old 18th March 2017, 08:56   #97
KMT
BHPian

I believe that the most important material difference between the two will be resale value.
Tatas depreciate badly from what I see.

Toyota really shines in this regard.
KMT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 09:18   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
One thing that most reviews have mentioned is the heavy steering in the Hexa coming to fore while turning. So make sure that your grandfather is comfortable with it before finalising. Below is quote from official review.
When i TD the things that I found was like you said the steering while making u turn, the engine was audible in the auto and seats were a bit hard. Since my grandpa would be spending most the time in the middle row and occasionlly in the front, i dont think this will be an issue. The hexa gave me a secure feeling unlike the innova did. I have asked the Sales person to get the manual home. Let me wait and see how it compares with it
HOTROD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 10:53   #99
BHPian

Quote:
When i TD the things that I found was like you said the steering while making u turn, the engine was audible in the auto and seats were a bit hard. Since my grandpa would be spending most the time in the middle row and occasionlly in the front, i dont think this will be an issue. The hexa gave me a secure feeling unlike the innova did. I have asked the Sales person to get the manual home. Let me wait and see how it compares with it
Having driven Hexa for about 2700kms, and having read that your grandfather would be in the middle row most of the time, i would say, just buy it. The issues few people faced like stiff steering and notchy gear are for the drivers to worry about. The passengers in the middle row are very comfortable thanks to the superb suspension and seats. And as you said, it's more spacious with bigger Windows which adds to the airy feel of the cabin. Else, to make an informed decision, you could wait for a few months for a 10k ownership review from one of the owners.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 10:21   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Having driven Hexa for about 2700kms, and having read that your grandfather would be in the middle row most of the time, i would say, just buy it. The issues few people faced like stiff steering and notchy gear are for the drivers to worry about. The passengers in the middle row are very comfortable thanks to the superb suspension and seats. And as you said, it's more spacious with bigger Windows which adds to the airy feel of the cabin. Else, to make an informed decision, you could wait for a few months for a 10k ownership review from one of the owners.
Is there some reason that you did not consider the innova? Being driving the hexa do you find steering and rubbery shifts are something to complain about?
Old 21st March 2017, 12:30   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Is there some reason that you did not consider the innova? Being driving the hexa do you find steering and rubbery shifts are something to complain about?
Hi. We are a family of just three with friends and relatives who accompany us once in a while but not too often. Innova was not at all in our option as we had decided we needed something on the lines of an SUV and not just a people mover. It was obviously the XUV as our choice before Hexa was launched. And when it did finally come out, we just took one look at the interiors and bought it. And for me, its a good SUV/crossover.

Speaking of gear shifts, shifting between 1st and 2nd was rough in the starting days. But right now, shifts are way smoother. Switching to higher gears however was way easier then and even now. For the reverse gear, there's actually a difference felt in the play of the lever which helps you a lot. Overall, i would say, gear shifts are not as smooth as in sedans and hatchbacks. Its a bulky car which gives you a good feel when using the lever!
Also, the feedback from the steering feels great in city and highway. But, making u-turns or aligning the car while parking is slightly difficult. But, since i have come from a santro, i feel this steering is way smoother to me and am completely ok with it. Again, not as smooth as the sedans and hatchbacks that you find now!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 21st March 2017 at 12:32.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 15:05   #102
BHPian

Hello

Innova - don't like vans. For me, this is the worst of the lot.
XUV - overall great shape, stance & engine, but unbearable design elements inside and out.
Scorpio - abysmal ride and ugly design elements.
Hexa - awesome ride, wheels & AT, but a van.
Storme - Clean design language, no gizmos, nothing outstanding, everything is just right. My vote.
lazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 19:18   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Hi. We are a family of just three with friends and relatives who accompany us once in a while but not too often. Innova was not at all in our option as we had decided we needed something on the lines of an SUV and not just a people mover. It was obviously the XUV as our choice before Hexa was launched. And when it did finally come out, we just took one look at the interiors and bought it. And for me, its a good SUV/crossover.

Speaking of gear shifts, shifting between 1st and 2nd was rough in the starting days. But right now, shifts are way smoother. Switching to higher gears however was way easier then and even now. For the reverse gear, there's actually a difference felt in the play of the lever which helps you a lot. Overall, i would say, gear shifts are not as smooth as in sedans and hatchbacks. Its a bulky car which gives you a good feel when using the lever!
Also, the feedback from the steering feels great in city and highway. But, making u-turns or aligning the car while parking is slightly difficult. But, since i have come from a santro, i feel this steering is way smoother to me and am completely ok with it. Again, not as smooth as the sedans and hatchbacks that you find now!
Thank you so much.. You just gave me more points to insist on the hexa. Does the driving modes make a big difference? Or else i would just settle for the auto
HOTROD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 20:16   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much.. You just gave me more points to insist on the hexa. Does the driving modes make a big difference? Or else i would just settle for the auto
Dude, the driving modes is what gives this car character! In my review i have highlighted on the same.
It feels like driving four different cars, trust me. While the comfort mode promises decent mileage with very less feeling of inertia during gear shifts (impossible to cross 120-130kmph in this mode), the dynamic is totally opposite. You can clearly feel the punch coming in as soon as you change to it (takes about 3seconds to switch modes) and the turbo lag is very minimal. Also, few safety features go into sleep mode so that you can easily drift or go into that turn with screeching rubber (there's a video of the same on YouTube). You cannot however do this in other modes.
In the rough road mode, there's minimal slip which helps in off-roading to a certain extent.
As i said, it feels like driving four different cars!

The AT on the other hand is the best in class! There's no denying it. Makes your decision even more tough to make!

Ps: here's the link to my review:-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184562

Last edited by abhi7013 : 21st March 2017 at 20:23.
Old 21st March 2017, 20:42   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Dude, the driving modes is what gives this car character! In my review i have highlighted on the same.
It feels like driving four different cars, trust me. While the comfort mode promises decent mileage with very less feeling of inertia during gear shifts (impossible to cross 120-130kmph in this mode), the dynamic is totally opposite. You can clearly feel the punch coming in as soon as you change to it (takes about 3seconds to switch modes) and the turbo lag is very minimal. Also, few safety features go into sleep mode so that you can easily drift or go into that turn with screeching rubber (there's a video of the same on YouTube). You cannot however do this in other modes.
In the rough road mode, there's minimal slip which helps in off-roading to a certain extent.
As i said, it feels like driving four different cars!

The AT on the other hand is the best in class! There's no denying it. Makes your decision even more tough to make!

Ps: here's the link to my review:-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184562
Thank you very much abhi for patiently answering every question if mine.. You have been very helpful

Most Viewed