Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which SUV / MUV would you choose?
Tata Hexa 526 53.08%
Mahindra XUV500 187 18.87%
Toyota Innova Crysta 217 21.90%
Mahindra Scorpio 8 0.81%
Tata Safari Storme 29 2.93%
Other (please specify) 24 2.42%
Voters: 991. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa vs XUV500 vs Innova Crysta vs others

Interesting and much anticipated poll.

Let me put on my buyer hat and begin the decision making process.
So I have about 20-25 lacs and need to buy a SUV/MPV/MUV. Additionally, I am inclined towards an AT for the convenience and 4WD is not required.

The options which come to my mind are Innova, XUV 5OO and the Hexa.
I would not consider the Scorpio as its simply too old. There is no 'wow' factor with it.
Safari has been my childhood crush. The masculine presence and butch looks were drool worthy a decade ago. Now, it has been surpassed. The looks are dated, the interiors even more dated.

Now, I am left with three showrooms to visit.
I go to the Toyota showroom and check out the Innova. The exterior fails to impress me. If there is one element of the design which I like, its the headlights and their DRLs. I sit inside and the space is enormous. Quite impressed, I take a test drive. The 2.8 ltr Engine pulls cleanly. I am sure it will be an effortless highway cruiser. The dashboard is too funky and not to my liking. The rear captain seats are pure bliss. I also check out the GX variant and it is sparse for the asking price. A quick glance through the feature and price list and I can feel my eyes popping out. Toyota is asking 21.39 lacs ex showroom for the 2.8 ZX AT. I remember my parents buying a decent 3 BHK apartment not so long ago for that amount.

Next, I go to the Mahindra Showroom to check out my old time favorite, the XUV 5OO. I have been a keen follower of the XUV thread on TBhp and know the vehicle well even before sitting in it. The looks are menacing. It is definitely the only true SUV in my options list. The stance is perfect and being shorter than the competition, I feel it would be easier to drive in the city. Hop in and the interiors are loud. Too many parts and designs shouting to grab my attention. The plastics quality is 2 notches below the Innova. The 3rd row is a joke and I would always have the seats folded (or even removed and kept at home). So essentially, it is a 5 seater which should be compared to Terranos and Dusters. However, I like the steering and center meter console design. The engine might be smaller than the Innova's but the grunt from this motor is terrific. The gearbox is also nice and smooth. Come back and check out the features list. Mahindra has definitely loaded the XUV. The W10 AT FWD is selling at 17.66 lacs ex showroom. That's 4 lacs down from the Innova. Brilliant package. Moves to top slot.

Finally I visit the neighborhood TATA showroom. It is tiny but has a Nano, a Bolt, a Zest, a Tiago, a Safari and Hexa on display. Also, 2 Indicas are seen near the entry gate. Not sure if these are new or not. The Hexa looks the most rugged. The front is much better than the Innova. Side profiles of the two are similar but I feel the stance to be better of the Hexa. Innova's wheel wells were too big for its tires. The rear is also neatly put together. Step in and the quality is oozing out. Before driving off, I want to put my wallet and phone in a cup holder. But there is none. Terrible planning by TATA. I don't sit on my wallet and drive. Now I have to keep it in the door pocket. Inconvenient place to reach for tolls etc. The ride is comfortable and engine always eager. Feel the autobox to be better than the XUV's. Do not feel the additional weight while driving, which has been talked about at length. Come back to the showroom and check out the feature list. Apart from the sunroof and cupholders, I feel Hexa has everything which I would need. The XTA is priced at 17.4 lacs ex showroom.

Now, the decision basically comes down to XUV vs Hexa. The Innova loses out in the looks and pricing dept. And if I have to, I would buy the Hexa.
Reasons:
Its Fresh. Too many XUVs on the road.
Its ride quality is terrific.
It can be used as a 7 seater, unlike the 5 seater XUV.
The black interiors look better.
Its interior quality is far superior.

OT: TATA should adopt a Nexa like approach for their Hexa !!

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd February 2017 at 23:18. Reason: looses -> loses
drive2eternity is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
It can be used as a 7 seater, unlike the 5 seater XUV.
I know a person who will not buy XUV for this reason alone.

I am not a 4WD person, HEXA XT AUTO is the one for me. I expect it to clock consistent 1000 sales per month.

I do not like XUV's ugly exterior, low-rent interior and cheap Chinese lights.

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd February 2017 at 14:44.
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:55   #18
BHPian

Choice of transmission: AT without a doubt.

SUV or MUV: Have lived with both. MUV serves the purpose more, at least in my case.

Crysta: If I intend to keep the vehicle for a decade or run it more than a lakh odd KMs, or this is to be used by the elderly/females who will find it a challenge to visit the service center for occasional niggles. But frankly speaking, expect a very boring experience. I avoid using the one we have and tend to pick up the Civic instead.

XUV/Hexa: Either of the two if I have to buy one for myself. Currently heavily biased towards the Hexa, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Might even visit the service center once and get a feel of things before taking the final plunge. It's a bit tricky with both of these: long term reliability is questionable, and for shorter duration the resale might be a spoil sport!

Also to add: Think real hard before deciding any of these. If the road infrastructure around you is good and there's no real need of an MUV/SUV, then a C plus or D segment sedan will give you a far, far more satisfactory experience over the years. It would seem to be a gross overestimate, but I feel that 60-70% of people buying these vehicles don't need them in the first place!

Last edited by avisidhu : 2nd February 2017 at 15:06.
avisidhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:01   #19
BHPian

As someone looking at a 7 seater automatic, the Innova, XUV, and Hexa should all have been really good options for me.

But then :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Tata Hexa
What you won't:
• Tata's after-sales service remains a hit or miss

Mahindra XUV500
What you won’t:
• Niggles & issues, as reported by existing XUV500 owners
• Mahindra's inconsistent sales & service experiences
As someone who gets easily annoyed by poor service, I am not sure I can go with these vehicles. At least not the Hexa - I have been to two Tata showrooms now, requested for a test drive on their website, but am yet to get a call regarding a test drive of the Hexa. Not sure I can live with that sort of experience post purchase.

The Innova seems like a logical purchase, but then Toyota is asking for a lot of money. Which brings me to my vote for the Maruti-Suzuki Ertiga VXi Automatic. The Ertiga, at Rs 10.4 Lacs on-road, is nearly half the price of the Innova Crysta 2.8 GX AT which costs Rs 20 lacs on-road. Given Maruti's good service, and the fact that the equipment level is nearly the same as the Innova GX, I found it hard to vote for any other vehicle in this poll.
nishsingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:05   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

60% of the folks picking up a Hexa over XUV/Innova/Storme/Scorpio?

The problem with these "opinion" polls (that TML seems to win all too often), is, they aren't really reflected in the real world. I, for one, really hope the results of this poll (as of today) are reflected this time though. Next month's sales thread is going to be an interesting read.
Dry Ice is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:12   #21
BHPian

I voted for the Hexa because

Negatives of XUV

1. Thud sound when you hit any potholes or road humps (I have to live with it every day)
2. Automatic is noisy and vibration when placed in Drive mode
3. Interior quality is not up to the mark (I have to see it every day)
4. Nose dive when brakes are applied
5. No boot space
6. Missing captain seats (My kids are locked in the last row during any long distance
travel)

Negatives of Innova Crysta

1. Very Pricey (Even after paying so much money, I do not even get a tools tray to place the tools).
2. Expensive spares (Cost of the one headlight is 57000 INR)
3. Looks more like a Van and does not have that WHOW factor
4. Ride quality is better than XUV, but lower than Hexa

Not that everything is Rosey with the Hexa, Major disappointment - AT variant does not have ESP. I needed that feature very badly. But overall Hexa makes much better sense to me. I know what I am getting for the money I am paying. So voted for the Hexa.
power_slave77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:14   #22
BHPian

I was in the same boat late last year, before Hexa came out. I put my money on the Innova crysta for the quality of interiors, the comfort that it offered and the reliability.

For me Tata has a long way to go in A.S.S for it to compete with the others. Mahdindra XUV on the other hand was a very close finish- but it lost out due to the quality of interiors..

So I vote for the innova.
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:32   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

The problem with these "opinion" polls (that TML seems to win all too often), is, they aren't really reflected in the real world. I, for one, really hope the results of this poll (as of today) are reflected this time though. Next month's sales thread is going to be an interesting read.
You sir have nailed it. There is a vast difference in a poll-result and the actual sales figure. People talk something but then when it's time to put the money where their mouth is, most start giving reasons.

Classic case being, how people I have known used to complain about India not having a hot hatch of sorts. In comes the VW GT TSi and then the argument shifts to how it misses on a manual transmission. In comes the ABARTH and then suddenly, it's the service concerns. One of my colleague with the above argument ended up buying a Hyundai Grand i10

Last edited by Vinodh_Gowda : 2nd February 2017 at 15:34.
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:45   #24
BHPian

I voted for the Hexa.

The Safari and the Scorpio were struck off the list right at the start.
-The Scorpio for it's bouncy ride and terrible crash test result.
-The Safari although has been a car that has wooed many from years have started to show it's age. Good vehicle but with a lot of fit and finish and refinement issues.

Coming to the newer gen SUVs (if you may wish to call them)
-XUV500: Fantastic vehicle overall but somehow never found it's design striking my heart. Maybe I always felt the design to be a bit overdone to my taste
-Innova: God I always wished I owned one in black. But then the Hexa came and stole my heart away
-Hexa: Enough said. First time after I saw her I fell in love with her. A Tata big vehicle after the Sierra that made me go gaga. Yes Tata has issues with after sales service. But owning a car is not just about after sales service. For once look beyond that and enjoy the car for what it is. Enjoy it's flavour. It's character. When I drive my Punto I feel my car is just an extension of me. It's a different bonding that one should connect to.

Personally a proud moment for such a lovely vehicle from an Indian manufacturer.
sub.g84 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:52   #25
BHPian

I will go for HEXA AT over XUV mainly due to three reasons .
1. Its true 7 seater .
2. Ride quality .
3. fresh design and better interior quality
Anuruddhs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 16:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

None of these are true go anyway off road vehicles in stock form, so keeping in line with my usage pattern, I will prefer a AT which can seat 6 comfortably and can much miles whole day long.

XUV is out of the equation due to its quirky styling and the interior which looks like is assembled from a mail order from AliExpress, so my choice is really between Crysta vs Hexa.

Before Hexa, Innova would have been by de facto choice, but with Hexa, I am getting better ride, plusher captain seats and dare I say, more matured styling - at a lower price point.

So, my choice is Hexa.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 2nd February 2017 at 16:17.
Old 2nd February 2017, 16:25   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

We also need to factor in the point that many us like the Hexa and have voted for it, but we are not in market for a car right now. We voted our choice; if and when we are buying.

Last edited by ashis89 : 2nd February 2017 at 16:38. Reason: Spell check
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:27   #28
BHPian

My friends could predict my choice to this poll right away, and that would be the Tata Hexa. Something about being a Tata Fan?

This time though it would be just because of the exclusivity. The aura of being an non-conformist when you drive up into a sea of Suzukis and Toyota's is just unmatched. I have this tingly sensation when I walk into my company's/ a malls parking and immediately being able to identify my car. This is just because MY car is one in a thousand almost literally.

And then when its a HEXA, which to me, looks like a butch I-will-eat-you-if-you-get-in-my-way SUV, Orgasmic!

SO combine the above, with a decently priced, feature-filled, comfortable vehicle and its the Hexa for me
nijelj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:28   #29
BHPian

Tata Hexa has more votes but lets see whether sales of Hexa can overtake XUV500 in same period and over the course of this year.

XUV gives a SUV feel whereas Hexa is more like urban MUV.

Also Power to weight ratio and Torque to weight ratio of XUV are better and this for me tilts scales further in favor for XUV.
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:31   #30
BHPian

I have different approach to this poll but one that I think is my honest opinion.

If I am in a market for 7-8 seater which most of these cars here are, space is one criteria that will supersede most of the other choices or atleast will be the first priority. Other important aspects are the plush interior feel and then moving on the heart of the matter which is the performance. I dont think with such engine sizes, we are looking at FE.

So here is my order:

5, 4: Mahindra Scorpio/Tata Safari Storme - I think these are really old offering and really don't think we need to put them in this poll. When compared to the 3 other offerings, these just don't stand up to the competition.

3. Mahindra XUV500 - Although it is a hoot to drive, I am not a big fan of the looks. I find XUV overdone in most departments. IMHO the car can look great if it can be sobered down a bit. It cannot be classified a 7 seater touring companion in anyways. If I plan a family vacation then I need another car to carry my luggage because this car practically offers you none.

2. Tata HEXA - What a brilliant package! I think TATA has gone beyond our expectations in delivering this fine car. I loved the way the interiors have been kept elegant and the way the car has been kept just right in terms of design without overdoing anything. The ride quality is again noteworthy. If this was a poll of Indian car then Tata HEXA would be my choice. But it isnt!

1. Toyota Innova Crysta - Simply the best of the lot in terms of looks/design/offering and etc etc etc. If I am buying this car, I will be happily sitting in the rear captain seat and really that is where this car offers unparalleled comfort in this class. But at this price point, HEXA makes its case loud and clear too. (I think I am confused!)

So thats my 2 paisa. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks