Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Does it make sense to go with Renault Duster in 2019?
Yes 33 23.57%
No 58 41.43%
Better wait for next generation Duster 49 35.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:23   #46
BHPian

Re: Should I buy the ageing Renault Duster in 2017?

Thank you, everyone. I'm yet to do a PDI but open to move the booking to the latest make if there's any sign of trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The Creta has been a best seller across all its variants and it is hard for me to digest that they have one lying around unsold. It might be a TD vehicle or display vehicle that they are trying to pass on.

BTW which AT variant did you opt for and what was the final OTR. I was evaluating the Creta recently and honestly speaking the petrol AT makes more sense for an expected monthly running of 1000 kms.

Its a very capable vehicle and the new car will cost you around 11L OTR.
Have booked the SX+ Diesel. No other variant makes much sense over the Duster which is loaded with more features than the Creta
It's probably lying unsold due to black and AT combo. I think of all the colours, black and red sell the least for Creta.

Final OTR is 15.75 for 2016 model. The same dealership has a petrol AT 2016 model and it's going for 14 OTR. But the mileage keeps me away from it. Even if the current usage is 1000 kms/ month, it can be a lot more later on.

ES is a fantastic package but neither of us liked its looks. We considered Baleno for a while but never the ES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Simply make a counter offer and stay in good touch with the salesman and dealership manager. They should know that you are a persistent but solid buyer simple.
Have been doing that but the salesman hasn't budged at all. He cites the strong demand and looking at Feb's figures, can't blame him much!

Last edited by Nonstop-driver : 3rd March 2017 at 10:32.
Old 14th March 2017, 10:15   #47
BHPian

Hi All,
This is probably my first post on Team BHP. I am super confused in making a car decision and the issue I face is similar this thread. Car to be finalized by end of march.
Car that I currently own: Honda Brio S variant.
Reason for change: The boot is terrible, the ride quality not so good. Long drives in a petrol hatch is getting expensive.
Fuel choice: Diesel: My average travel has increased to nearly 40Km/day without the long drive factored in.
Cars under consideration : EcoSport Trend+ or titanium, Renault duster RXL/RXZ
The car will most probably be financed through company car lease.
Intend to keep the car 4-5 years minimum. Have test driven both the cars.
Requirements:
1. This is going to be the only car. So city/highway flexibility most important.
2. Currently its me and my wife. No plan for kids for atleast one year.
3. My parents are above 60 and her parents are approaching, car should be easier to get in and out
4. Budget 10-11L max stretch upto 12.5L no more.
5. Brio has a good handling but not so good ride quality. Ride quality should be acceptable if not outstanding atleast.
6. Chances of carrying 5 people will be 5% of the time. 4 people will be using it mostly, and me and wife will use it 80% of the time.
7. Both of us like to travel so good highway cruiser preferred.
Confusion:
1. Is duster 85 RXZ or 110 RXL which will come in my stretched budget a decent option. The duster is an old model, may be discontinued with Kaptur.
2. Resale value of duster.
3. I have heard that ford maintenance is cheaper than duster, but by how much. Owners can help.
4. As is see it EcoSport is sufficient for our need, but the duster has a better ride more space with more SUV looks. Will I miss out anything if I go ahead with EcoSport.
5. Duster has no dead pedal and no space to keep your feet, does this create an issue.
6. Is it worth the extra over the titanium trim which is better loaded than duster, both dealers have 2016 stock so I can expect to squeeze out some discounts,
Owners and experts need your help.
Regards,
Aditya

Last edited by aniyo : 14th March 2017 at 10:27. Reason: Addutional information included
Old 14th March 2017, 12:43   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Have booked the SX+ Diesel.
Canceled the earlier booking and got the 2017 make for 16.05 on road from a different dealer instead

But the waiting period for black colour is over a month. The dealer says that the AT gearbox is imported from Korea and the last shipment has been delayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Owners and experts need your help.
I'm neither but I'll share my experience.
We didn't consider the Ecosport at all for its looks but it's a fantastic vehicle nonetheless. The peace of mind that you will get inside ES' cabin will be much more than Duster's. I applied the same logic before picking Creta over Duster.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 12:49   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Canceled the earlier booking and got the 2017 make for 16.05 on road from a different dealer instead

I'm neither but I'll share my experience.
We didn't consider the Ecosport at all for its looks but it's a fantastic vehicle nonetheless. The peace of mind that you will get inside ES' cabin will be much more than Duster's. I applied the same logic before picking Creta over Duster.
Congrats on your new Buy.
As far as looks are concerned my wife is ok with the Ford EcoSport. She said that she felt the EcoSport better build than Duster without me asking about it.
My only worry was will I miss anything significant if I chose the Ford EcoSport over the Duster.
Old 14th March 2017, 15:59   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cars under consideration : EcoSport Trend+ or titanium, Renault duster RXL/RXZ
Was in a similar boat.

The Duster is a very tough vehicle with excellent ride and handling balance. But that is about it - features, design, interiors, etc. are nothing to write home about.

The ES on the other hand had a lot of virtues, only losing out on space (and boot space) and low speed ride quality owing to it's stiff suspension.

However, we ended up picking up the S-Cross 1.6 given it's features, easy to service and maintain, build quality, fantastic ride and handling (though a little bumpy at low speeds but flat at higher speeds), etc.
Yes, the boot space is small, but the main selling point was how my parents can walk into the car unlike the Duster and Creta and others.

Check out the 1.3 S-Cross and if it will fit your needs.

Dad didn't like the EcoSport's looks much so did not consider it.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 16:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Was in a similar boat.

Check out the 1.3 S-Cross and if it will fit your needs.

HI Lamborghini,
I thought about the S-Cross, but if it is S-cross then it has to be the 1.6.
I feel the 1.3 will start feeling strained on the highway. So chose to pick either EcoSport which is decent esp. after the bump in power or Duster with great city driving and decent highway performance.
I will check the 1.3 S-Cross over the weekend.
Old 14th March 2017, 16:57   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
HI Lamborghini,
I thought about the S-Cross, but if it is S-cross then it has to be the 1.6.
I feel the 1.3 will start feeling strained on the highway. So chose to pick either EcoSport which is decent esp. after the bump in power or Duster with great city driving and decent highway performance.
I will check the 1.3 S-Cross over the weekend.
The 1.6 is definitely a beast, but check out the 1.3.

It should be adequate and in line with the Duster IMO.

If you like the car, can always explore tuning possibilities with the engine to bump up the power a little.
Old 15th March 2017, 20:27   #53
BHPian

My dealer has offered titanium variant of 2016 MFG.. month Nov/ Dec.. for a discount of 20k.
1. How much more can I push the dealer
2. Is there a way to find out if the vehicle is TD car or not
Old 15th March 2017, 22:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My dealer has offered titanium variant of 2016 MFG.. month Nov/ Dec.. for a discount of 20k.
1. How much more can I push the dealer
Most likely you wont get more than 30-40K off at this stage.
What other deals were you offered in addition to 20K?

Try to get insurance, AMC etc free of cost, if no further cash discounts.
Old 15th March 2017, 22:25   #55
BHPian

As I am going through company car lease the insurance will be done by our leasing partner
I am planning to ask for few accessories and extended warranty.
My only concern is they should not give a TAD car.
Old 15th March 2017, 22:34   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Check the ODO, anything over 30-50 kms should raise a red flag.
Old 26th April 2017, 10:27   #57
BHPian

As a proud owner if a Duster, can only say that it may have been sometime since it has launched, but even today remains peerless in the Compact SUV segment.

- The Best Ride quality upto even a couple of segments above.

- The best handler in its segment

- Reasonable Running Costs

- Ample power and High Speed manners

I mst hav abused its suspension like no other, but the ride remains fantastic even after 3 years. Every other car I automatically brake for the bad roads. Never the Duster. The way it flattens surfaces without losing composure is mind boggling.

I sincerely feel this is one of the greatest cars to be released for our Indian Roads with a perfect blend of Power/Ride/Handling/Running Costs.

Ofcourse there are negatives like Bland Interior, Bad Noise Insulation, slightly heavier clutch, Turbo lag in the regular models etc. But most of these have been rectified with AMT or AWD.

If you still feel age is showing, jst wait for the Kaptur which is based on the same platform as Duster, has the same brilliant suspension and engine and looks much more modern inside out.
Flash777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2017, 21:24   #58
BHPian

Quote:
As I am going through company car lease the insurance will be done by our leasing partner
I am planning to ask for few accessories and extended warranty.
My only concern is they should not give a TAD car.
Not sure if you have already got your ride. Do update, which one entered the home finally. If still in contentions, my 2 cents - pen down the two most important things you will 100% need in your car. If one of them is space (read backseat for 3 most of the time), avoid Ecosport. S-Cross or Duster it will be.
If power and grunt is one of them, avoid S-Cross 1.3, lean over to ES.

This might help your choices. I was in the same dilemma and finally booked ES Trend+, for the styling, good dynamics, price and build quality. If I had the moolah, might have bought Duster AWD, but sadly, I ain't an "Ambani" (just a metaphor )

Do update about your final choice.
Old 10th May 2017, 20:37   #59
BHPian

Dear friends,
I am currently out in the market shopping for a new car where my running is around 75 KMS / day for daily office commute from Faridabad to Noida. And also would make once a quarter highway trips. Most of the times it will be driven alone and weekend getaways in a quarter with family. I got an offer from the dealer for 12.4 Lacs OTR faridabad for Vento TDI DSG Comfortline and 13 Lacs OTR for Skoda Rapid Ambition DSG. Do you think this is a sweet deal?

Other cars under consideration are Scross 1.3 Alpha (OTR 11.9), Ecosport Titanium TDCI (OTR 10.7), Titanium+ (11.40) and Duster RxZ AMT (OTR 14.1). I am in a big fix what to choose and very confused.
I need to finalize in next 2-3 days. Can experts help please?
Old 10th May 2017, 22:43   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
I got an offer from the dealer for 12.4 Lacs OTR faridabad for Vento TDI DSG Comfortline and 13 Lacs OTR for Skoda Rapid Ambition DSG.

Other cars under consideration are Scross 1.3 Alpha (OTR 11.9), Ecosport Titanium TDCI (OTR 10.7), Titanium+ (11.40) and Duster RxZ AMT (OTR 14.1).
Not an expert by any stretch of imagination, but please stay away from the Duster/Terrano. It's a structurally weak car, scored zero in global NCAP and even the airbag variant gets a smaller airbag than in other markets. It's just plain dangerous and unsafe, however comfortable it may be.
Divya Sharan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks