Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Does it make sense to go with Renault Duster in 2019?
Yes 33 23.57%
No 58 41.43%
Better wait for next generation Duster 49 35.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:42   #31
BHPian

Re: Should I buy the ageing Renault Duster in 2017?

I was in a same dilemma a year ago, and was also very concerned about the NCR traffic. The reason I chose Ecosport over Duster was simple, I can buy a Nano for that cost difference, or even better fill my long standing dream of owning a RE Standard 500. But after spending a year and a half, I still feel I should not have gone with the logic of saving those extra 2.5 Lakhs. I never bought that bike, and I miss that extremely good ride quality of Duster. If I were you, I would listen to my hear, buy an 85ps manual Duster (VFM, Excellent drive ability in city traffic in comparison to 110 Manual). Listen to your heart.

On a side note, do not reject Creta just because black is tough to maintain - It isn't, and you can always get it rubbed, polished and detailed. It will never be poor in terms of resale value, is the "most" refined and Fuel efficient car in that price range, and ride is second only to Duster. It's overprice - agreed, but their is no competition either at the moment and you might need to wait for it.

I would rather buy a white scorpio for 16 Lakhs OTR (S4 4x4) and write Pradhan Ji (for Noida specific snob value ) on its rear window than buying a Duster. It's the real work horse and most vfm SUV(and very true at that) in India.
BB311 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Well, folks are buying a Gypsy in 2017 . Get the drift?
You have got to be kidding me comparing a niche product like the Gypsy, to the Duster? One is engineered with a single predominant focus on being light and easy to offroad in, and the other is positioned as an overall family kind of vehicle. World over cars like the Gypsy have been recognized as having a MUCH longer product lifecycle, take the LR Defender for example. Besides, you pay a huge premium for the Duster as well (more than a million rupees).
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 18:38   #33
BHPian

Hello teammates,
I am new to community and came across this thread while browsing.
IMHO the vehicle which aspires to be a SUV should also offer an experience of SUV.
Duster though having a ground clearance of a sport ute and the ride quality offers little else.
The interior space and the seating matches a sedan and it is also getting a bit long in the tooth now.
S-cross may not have the killer looks but it is a very good car in my opinion, offering good ride quality, good ASS, nice seating position and good interior.
The 1.6 engine also has enough grunt to keep you up to speed on highways.
Maruti is about to launch a facelift of S-cross soon which may solve the looks issue.
Also, though you are least bothered, a good resale may give you enough to just make your next upgrade sweeter.
Cool_leo_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 20:39   #34
BHPian

If you are sold on Duster and only concerns are cheap interiors and dated looks, why don't you buy one and give it to DC?
DC's Duster really looks cool IMO. You will have exclusivity with all other problems addressed!
Attached Thumbnails
Should I buy the ageing Renault Duster in 2017?-renaultdusterdcdesign.jpg  

Last edited by StepUP! : 2nd February 2017 at 20:42.
StepUP! is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 20:57   #35

I was in similar situation last week and ended up buying Duster.

Wife wanted Creta but I was blown over handling and ride quality of Duster. Creta is far behind Duster on these fronts.

Top Creta was close to 18.5 lakhs OTR in Bangalore while I managed Duster top end (85PS) for around 13.75 lakhs.

Even after spending so much moolah Creta doesn't offer speed sensing auto locks which is a safety hazard. Basic things like mileage indicator, DTE indicator etc. are missing. While top end duster had everything including touch screen, SAT NAV, cruise control, reverse camera, speed control etc.

Looks are subjective. Duster has classy design and it will remain classy even after 3-5 years. All box type designs have initial snob value which erodes within 6 months.

Bottom line is if you are concerned about modern-age interiors, go for Miss Korea (aka Creta). If priority is ride and handling, go for Duster. Listen to your heart, go ahead and book the Duster!
prabhatmilan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 22:54   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
You have got to be kidding me comparing a niche product like the Gypsy, to the Duster? One is engineered with a single predominant focus on being light and easy to offroad in, and the other is positioned as an overall family kind of vehicle. World over cars like the Gypsy have been recognized as having a MUCH longer product lifecycle, take the LR Defender for example. Besides, you pay a huge premium for the Duster as well (more than a million rupees).
Well, you clearly didn't get the drift.

Anyway, it would be interesting to know what ultimately transpires in our OP's mind.
Old 3rd February 2017, 17:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
..Listen to your heart...
Your post brought a smile to my face, thanks for sharing an honest feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
If you are sold on Duster and only concerns are cheap interiors and dated looks, why don't you buy one and give it to DC?
I'm happy with the exterior but the interior and its ageing concerns me. But spending 300k+ on a DC modification is definitely not on the agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhatmilan View Post
Bottom line is if you are concerned about modern-age interiors, go for Miss Korea (aka Creta). If priority is ride and handling, go for Duster. Listen to your heart, go ahead and book the Duster!
The ride is why we wanted to upgrade in the first place but if I'm to keep the vehicle for the next 10 years, will I be better off enjoying the convenience features (better NVH, keyless entry & go, follow me home headlamps, rear AC vents, a better MID, Hyundai reliability) that Creta AT petrol can offer for the same set of 14 big ones?

I use a 5.5-year-old i10 and 90k on the ODO, I can feel its ageing, but gracefully. Will the Duster maintain its USP after 5 years? It will rattle for sure, but how much?
From Hyundai experience, I know the Creta will be a workhorse, but until the ageing happens, it cannot match the smile on my face every time I'll get through a big bump on the road and the occupants won't even notice it

And that's the dilemma I'm in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Anyway, it would be interesting to know what ultimately transpires in our OP's mind.
The OP plans to TD Creta AT petrol and Duster AMT next week and book one of them as a Valentine present to the missus!

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th March 2017 at 12:16. Reason: Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 17:57   #38
BHPian

I am somehow inclined to suggest that S cross 1.6 would be ideal for you , my only concerns is your speed breaks that you have to navigate on daily basis . Did you test drive 1.6 and check for turbo lag in city driving . I think you should least consider 1.6 for test drive . If I am going to buy a Maruthi S Cross 1.6 would be the one only choice .
csnanjappa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 15:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Why not check out the TUV300 AMT?It is a boxy design, selling quite well, has a powerful Diesel and comes with AMT. Handling is not its forte but it is newer and cheaper. You also get to choose with Mahindra NUVOSPORT (if you like that car).

IF you feel that the Duster is dated inside out, why not look at the Nissan Terrano? A touchpanel system can be had aftermarket. I personally like the Duster's simple boxy looks but then looks are subjective.

Incase you are unsure of spending 14 lacs on a duster, why not look at a pre-owned Duster AMT?

There is not much on offer in this price range as of now but a lot of new cars are coming in the same segment in the near future.
devarshi84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 18:53   #40
BHPian

Thank you, everyone, for your responses and apologies for keeping the thread hanging.

After much thought and reading, we have booked the Creta AT Diesel. I know it's expensive and wayyyy out of the initial budget, but the benefits on Duster ended with December and old stock is sold out in my city. The difference between Duster AMT RXZ and Creta Diesel AT is about 1 lakh in my city. (For Dec '16 model, it was 2.75)

Besides, we considered that at the time of resale, the Creta will run a premium and make up for the difference.

Regarding the vehicle and performance, the more we TD'd, the more we realized that the Creta is a better product and while Duster has its USP, Creta makes for happier miles over long years of ownership.

Now we're in another dilemma

My local dealer has a 2016 Creta in black colour which he is offering at a cash discount of ~50k. The dealer says it's Dec '16 make but I'm yet to do a PDI. If all looks okay, should we go for it or get the latest model?
Also, how should I bargain more for the old model if I should? I've walked off on his best offer twice but he hasn't given a counter offer. Should I try to negotiate for accessories?
Old 2nd March 2017, 20:53   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post

My local dealer has a 2016 Creta in black colour which he is offering at a cash discount of ~50k. The dealer says it's Dec '16 make but I'm yet to do a PDI. If all looks okay, should we go for it or get the latest model?
Also, how should I bargain more for the old model if I should? I've walked off on his best offer twice but he hasn't given a counter offer. Should I try to negotiate for accessories?
That should not be a problem in my opinion.
2 Months old manufacturing date, with 50K discount is a good deal.
However, be sure to check the VIN.
Old 2nd March 2017, 21:05   #42
BHPian

Quote:
T.
After much thought and reading, we have booked the Creta AT Diesel.
Congrats on Booking the Creta AT Diesel.
With regards to the Manufacture date, it would only make a difference if you are selling it within the first 3 years in my opinion. Reason being many buyers will just minus current year from 2016. If you are planning to sell it is after 5 years or more it should not matter.

The 50K discount is good as there is no change in the 2016 and 2017 models.

I would use the 50K to upgrade the Speakers add an amp and sub.
Old 2nd March 2017, 22:20   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on booking the car. I just read your thread and was about to suggest you the same i.e. to move away from the Duster as a new car should make you all excited and not start with a frown or regret.

Do check the car before proceeding. The Creta has been a best seller across all its variants and it is hard for me to digest that they have one lying around unsold. It might be a TD vehicle or display vehicle that they are trying to pass on. The car has a waiting period otherwise if I am not wrong. If the vehicle looks clean then there is no reason to not buy the 2016 make. 50k discount is good enough for a December,2016 model.

BTW which AT variant did you opt for and what was the final OTR. I was evaluating the Creta recently and honestly speaking the petrol AT makes more sense for an expected monthly running of 1000 kms. The initial price difference is close to 2L and in NCR region you will not be able to run it for more than 10 years in case of diesel and hence resale will take a hit. Do consider the maths logically once for your intended usage and decide accordingly.

Lastly I had booked the Ecosport AT a few days back although the deal didn't materialise in the end. But do take a look at it too. Its a very capable vehicle and the new car will cost you around 11L OTR. What you get is a lot of equipment, excellent safety features including 6 airbags, great looking car and high GC. The Creta doesn't really offer anything extra in comparison instead of slightly more space but then how many times will you need to fit in 5 people? You were able to manage with the i10 for your highway trips and hence the Ecosport will easily be sufficient for those trips too. The extra 5L that you pay for the Creta diesel are really not worth it IMHO. Sorry if I added to the confusion.
Old 2nd March 2017, 23:24   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The difference between Duster AMT RXZ and Creta Diesel AT is about 1 lakh in my city. (For Dec '16 model, it was 2.75)

Regarding the vehicle and performance, the more we TD'd, the more we realized that the Creta is a better product and while Duster has its USP, Creta makes for happier miles over long years of ownership.

My local dealer has a 2016 Creta in black colour which he is offering at a cash discount of ~50k.
Congrats ! If PDI is ok, then take that Dec-2016 piece. AT's are not the top sellers, which could be the reason for it being unsold yet. Try to take a TD of this before booking. If it works out, then your difference between the Duster AMT & the Creta AT would be like 50k ? Good bargain there - the Creta's features make it feel more premium than the Duster. Though, the Duster's ride is definitely better.
Old 3rd March 2017, 01:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Go for the December 2016 model unless there are new updates that are worth it. Walking off on an offer isn't my style. Simply make a counter offer and stay in good touch with the salesman and dealership manager. They should know that you are a persistent but solid buyer simple.

Most Viewed