Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which Rs. 25 lakh SUV would you choose?
Toyota Fortuner 145 27.67%
Ford Endeavour 351 66.98%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 2 0.38%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 22 4.20%
Hyundai Santa Fe 4 0.76%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th May 2019, 21:14   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Fortuner vs the competition

So round 2 has happened and I also took a TD of the Innova AT ZX. That was a revelation. More on that later.

Another important point now is that round 2 with my wife as passenger didn't have the Endeavour as a contender because of the lax attitude of not one but 2 dealers in Dehradun.
One doesn't have the courtesy to inform me that whether they have the vehicle for TD or not or if they are going to be late for the TD. They have no respect for a person's time.
The other dealer which had provided the vehicle for TD the first time now does not have time for a second TD.

The vehicle is available only on confirmed order basis. And with a waiting period of 1.5 to 2 months. Kudos to thecompany who's endeavour is selling less than half the numbers of the fortuner month on month.

Anyways. The Toyota dealership was very courteous. Had extensive TDs of the Innova and Fortuner. Included an offroad track that we frequently go on. We meaning my wife, I and our storme.
The vehicles are available readily with stock available in a few colours. We prefer while and silver till now. We saw the new interiors as well. While they look bright, both the innova and fortuner will be a pain to maintain as pointed out by my wife.

So first the Innova. This vehicle truly was a revelation. What a super comfy vehicle. It is a no nonsense travel partner. It is comfortable. It is quick. It a spacey. It is simple. What a brilliant vehicle. Infact it is so comfortable that my wife initially proposed we should buy an innova and a thar for my offroad jaunts. Ofcourse it changed later.

The back seat is a true revelation with humongous space and comfort. Overall a must buy for anyone needing a mile munchery be it self driven or chauffeured. And we're getting one for sure.

Now the fortuner. We drove it on the exact circuit we follow when we take a break and enjoy driving. It covers the whole city from the outside. With fast stretches as well as congested roads and an offroad section as well.

On the outset the ride on the fortuner is firm. Much more than the comfy innova. At low speed the road undulations are transferred. The speed breakers are felt but are muted/softened by the suspension. Now the good part was that I had read on multiple ownership reviews that it flattens the roads at speed. I tried this and this is actually true. It truly is a flat ride at speed. It doesn't sway, doesn't pitch too much and ride flat on undulating and roads with patchwork and broken patchwork. Very interesting this was getting. There are a set of idiotic speedbreakers on this circuit. Each is a set of around 10 bumps and bad ones. Went slow and it was uncomfortable. Went fast and it was excellent. Best part is that the rear doesn't loose out when going fast over these speed bumps which I have felt on the storme some times.

The offroad section was what we were waiting for. It was comfortable offroad. Confident and flattened the fast offroad section with aplomb. The mechanical grip is amazing and overall the vehicle is a confidence booster in offroad sections. The steering conveyed the grip levels very well and I simply loved the heavy steering and its feel.

The eco mode makes the vehicle very smooth for an easy driving experience. I tried the S mode with the paddle shifters and the driving experience was very good in a relatively fast moving traffic area with next to zero lag in the driveline.
The power mode makes the throttle very responsive and in S mode it makes the fortuner a point and shoot car in the mountain roads.

Overall I felt the vehicle very capable and responsive to all kinds of driving I wanted to experience be it calm and relaxed or responsive.

The fortuner got a thumbs up from the wife in the offroad section itself. Rest she was very happy with the overall drive and has given a go ahead for the purchase.

She too was very annoyed by the behaviour of Ford. It was a bit behind the fortuner in the first time and the behaviour of the dealerships has been very unfavourable.

I know a number of you will say that I shouldn't let go off a vehicle due to the dealership behaviour but trust me i know how important dealership behaviour is when it comes to maintenance of vehicle over years of service. Toyota has been sturdy and dealership response till now has been pretty standard and acceptable whether I would have bought a fortuner or an ecosport. Infact 2 ecosport buying families were at the dealership when we went to check out the new interiors and they were being attended equally well.

In the absence of a TD vehicle I showed the endeavour of a courteous neighbor. Didn't drive it but my wife didn't like the exterior shape of the car and neither the interiors. Maybe due to the negative feelings which have now developed due to these 2 erring dealers.

I hope someone from Ford is reading this and the dealers are made to learn to handle customers. Especially in this downturn where each vehicle sale counts. Trust me. I know. My staff runs after each 2 wheeler customer and here I am asking for a TD of an endeavour and they aren't interested. not one but two. Maybe this behavior and attitude runs in the company itself.

So finally the decision is made.

On another note what is the standard air pressure recommended for the fortuner. The staff says some 36 and 35 rear and front. Maybe this was the reason for the harsh ride.
What do the fortuner owners here generally keep the pressure at?
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 22:11   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
We prefer while and silver till now. We saw the new interiors as well. While they look bright, both the innova and fortuner will be a pain to maintain as pointed out by my wife.
So finally the decision is made.
Congrats, You can opt for Pearl white, it looks good but if it's too common then do check the grey colour. I have not seen the light colour interiors but can imagine. Tan looks nice and with White exteriors, it should look good.

Quote:
what is the standard air pressure recommended for the fortuner. The staff says some 36 and 35 rear and front.
30-32 should be good. I hope you have gone through ownership threads, like

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ich-t-ko2.html (The Brute-Fort: My 2016 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 M/T, Now upgraded with BF Goodrich T/A KO2)
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 22:50   #93
Senior - BHPian

So in all probability the ride will be better than what we felt yesterday. Maybe I'll take round 3 while I go to do the documentation.

And yes colour confirmation will have to done. That's another task. I'm opting for the removal of options approach. So super white, black and brown are out. Rest need to be evaluated.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2019, 09:00   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On another note what is the standard air pressure recommended for the fortuner. The staff says some 36 and 35 rear and front. Maybe this was the reason for the harsh ride.
What do the fortuner owners here generally keep the pressure at?
IIRC Toyota recommends 29 psi for Fortuner.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2019, 10:42   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
IIRC Toyota recommends 29 psi for Fortuner.

Revelation!!

Don't know why the dealership had made it 35 front and 36 rear. So I had them set the tire pressure first thing yesterday morning and then asked them to come over in the afternoon.

And the ride is much more relaxed. Took it to some hilly terrain to check any loss of handling. Nope, non so ever. And it has become a more pliant steam roller when driving slightly fast over broken roads.
So I'd really suggest all to keep a close eye on the pressure you're running in your own or the TD fortuners. This vehicle is very sensitive to air pressure.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote