Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Rs. 25 lakh SUV would you choose?
Toyota Fortuner 173 29.73%
Ford Endeavour 378 64.95%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 3 0.52%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 24 4.12%
Hyundai Santa Fe 4 0.69%
Voters: 582. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2017, 22:15   #46
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Have a look at what Toyota offers in Canada - check loadings on the Limited variant. At around 50,000 CAD it translates to about 25 Lac, even if we add 45 % towards Excise & Sales tax, one will realise how much Toyota makes up here. This has surely to do with limited competition. Things will change gradually once we start having more models. I hope Isuzu can dent a lot of Toyota sales if they are able to price new MU7 around 20 lac or so.

https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehi...erview-gallery
My comments were limited to the Endeavour/Everest. Infact if we look at reviews of Ford Everest, there are comparisons with LC Prado, Land Rover discovery...etc just because of price point.

Toyota enjoys a premium in India because of the reliability and the trust they have built up over a period of time which Ford, Mitsubishi, Chevrolet were not able to do. As long as customers are willing to pay the premium, I dont see a reason why Toyota should bother about reducing the prices. Its not that there is demand for whatever toyota sells/manufactures, Fortuner is a very competent product and Toyotas perceived value is much better than any of these SUV makers in India and rightly so.

OT : Isuzu has long way to go, It will be a game changer for them if they can manage to price MUX under 20L and make sure they get us the most of their international features/specifications.
Old 13th February 2017, 23:48   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
FORD has priced Endeavour aka Everest very competitively in India. Everywhere else Fortuner is considerably cheaper than FORD unlike India.

But I will agree with

Have a look at what Toyota offers in Canada - check loadings on the Limited variant. At around 50,000 CAD it translates to about 25 Lac, even if we add 45 % towards Excise & Sales tax, one will realise how much Toyota makes up here. This has surely to do with limited competition. Things will change gradually once we start having more models. I hope Isuzu can dent a lot of Toyota sales if they are able to price new MU7 around 20 lac or so.

https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/vehi...erview-gallery
If Isuzu manges to price the MU7 at around 20 lakhs,it is sure to kill the Fortuner, Endeavour ,Tucson,Santa fe etc within a month of launch.

They seem to be getting serious about the Indian market after the success of V cross.

Lets hope for the best
Old 14th February 2017, 17:17   #48
BHPian

Voted for Ford Endeavour. Best in class with almost all features with pricing lower than Fortuner.

Toyota is definitely going on a wrong track if you see their horrible pricing strategy with Fortuner and Crysta.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 21:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

I have used (abused) my Fortuner 2.7 Petrol almost everywhere in the UAE, It has NEVER disappointed and never got stuck in sand, beach, rain water, river beds, wadis etc.

Now im planning to buy an used 4.0 Petrol first generation for more power and better the performance of the 2.7.

Oh yes, i voted for Toyota Fortuner.
Old 18th July 2017, 10:08   #50
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Fortuner. No MT on top-end 4x4 Endeavor is a deal breaker for me. Yes, I am old school.

-BJ
Old 3rd August 2017, 15:56   #51
BANNED

Voted for endeavour and purchased one too @26.7L onroad gurgaon.
Old 28th October 2017, 14:57   #52
BHPian

Friends, in a big dilemma now. I am totally a manual transmission guy.. but my family has fallen for that sunroof in the Endy.

I am not an offroading type of person. However will be visiting hill stations very frequently and also planning a trip far north east in the near future. Damn confused between the two. My budget is 30-35L.. My previous car was XUV and I did a trip to Ladakh from Chennai and I must admit I loved every bit of 1st Gen XUV W6 FWD. Never felt the need for AWD in the XUV except in Ladakh.

Now in a big confusion. My head says TFort 4*2 or 4*4 (more inclined towards 4*2). My heart clearly longs for the Endy 3.2 despite the AT which I hate to the core.

Any suggestions?
Old 28th October 2017, 15:42   #53
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Friends, in a big dilemma now. I am totally a manual transmission guy.. but my family has fallen for that sunroof in the Endy.

I am not an offroading type of person. However will be visiting hill stations very frequently and also planning a trip far north east in the near future. Damn confused between the two. My budget is 30-35L.. My previous car was XUV and I did a trip to Ladakh from Chennai and I must admit I loved every bit of 1st Gen XUV W6 FWD. Never felt the need for AWD in the XUV except in Ladakh.

Now in a big confusion. My head says TFort 4*2 or 4*4 (more inclined towards 4*2). My heart clearly longs for the Endy 3.2 despite the AT which I hate to the core.

Any suggestions?
Between the sunroof and the choice of transmission, I feel that higher priority should be given to the choice of transmission. Convince the family to hold it out for a few more years after which they will get a car with sunroof. Also if you decide to upgrade your ride from Fortuner, you will only get automatics, as in India you don't get manual transmission option in the luxury segment. So, you might want to go for an AT car now itself unless you specifically hate the automatic transmission present in the Endeavour.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2017, 17:10   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My heart clearly longs for the Endy 3.2 despite the AT which I hate to the core.
You will surely start enjoying AT on either Fortuner or Endeavour once you buy. There can be different reasons for buying a Fortuner over Endeavour but Transmission is not something I will fret about. As the population ( both humans & cars) is growing and simultaneously we age, you will be happy with AT as time passes. Not that I am trying to debate on Manual vs AT, just sharing my views given the practicality.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 10:55   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly, the sunroof is a novelty that is seldom used in India! Hence, I guess it is better to try and convince your family that it is something that will hardly be used.

Quote:

Any suggestions?
IMHO Ford should have continued with the manual variants. If you love manual transmissions, just go for the TFort. All the creature comforts in the world cannot replace the connection one feels when using a manual gearbox!But do check the ride quality of the Toyota beforehand though.Also, an AT can be a blessing if this will be your daily drive car, as the manual will be more cumbersome to use in traffic.
AdiSolEn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 19:31   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Go for the Fortuner 4*2 or 4*4 MT if your head says that. The iMT in the manual fortuner is fun to drive around with
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 19:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

A Suv should feel comfortable to travel in for the passengers. It should have a plush feeling. Fortuner with its harsh ride truly sucks. Ford endeavor is plush, compliant, feature loaded and trendy.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 13:14   #58
BHPian

Toyota Fortuner vs the competition

Maintenance seems to be cheaper for Endeavour compared to Fortuner. Was enquiring with respective dealers and got to know the approximate maintenance cost.

Fortuner - approx Rs.4K for every 5000 kms interval and Rs.8k for every 10,000 kms interval.

Endeavour - approx Rs.10k for every 10,000 kms interval.

Also got to know that timing belt change for Fortuner is only at 1.5 lac kms and for Endeavour around 70-80k kms.

The cost excludes any other spare replacement during periodical maintenance.

Ford Service is cheaper is not a myth.

Last edited by couswheels : 25th November 2017 at 13:23.
Old 25th November 2017, 20:14   #59
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Please check Fortuner owner reviews for service costs.

Here is Karan's Fortuner 10K service review

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4307401

Cost - Rs 2891/-
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 20:29   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Please check Fortuner owner reviews for service costs.

Cost - Rs 2891/-

The maintenance cost mentioned in my post was excluding initial free service offered by manufacturers till 10k kms or 1 year whichever is earlier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks