Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Rs. 25 lakh SUV would you choose?
Toyota Fortuner 173 29.73%
Ford Endeavour 378 64.95%
Chevrolet Trailblazer 3 0.52%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 24 4.12%
Hyundai Santa Fe 4 0.69%
Voters: 582. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2020, 00:18   #106
BHPian

Re: Buy the Toyota Fortuner or wait?

Apologies for the incomplete info. My uncle is into large scale farming and currently owns a Baleno and last gen Creta. He requires high ground clearance and 4×4/AWD for the farms and the car will be used mostly on highways for long trips.
A friend of his told him to get an ARB suspension kit for the Fortuner as it would make a world of difference . He took test drives of Endeavour and Tiguan Allspace but somehow didn't like them, the VW was out for being available only in diesel and he doesn't like the sober looks of the Endeavour and prefers a manual.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th August 2020 at 00:50. Reason: Typos fixed. Please run a spell-checker. Thanks!
Old 16th August 2020, 09:37   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buy the Toyota Fortuner or wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
He requires high ground clearance and 4×4/AWD for the farms and the car will be used mostly on highways for long trips.
Is he trading in either of the two existing cars for this upgrade?

If this is an impulsive buy (looks like one) let him also check out the new Thar. However he will have to retain either Baleno or Creta for those times when more than 2 people have to travel long distances.

Otherwise Fortuner and Endeavour are the default choices with a 40 lakh budget. If he doesn't necessarily want to spend big bucks on these two, get him a top-end Harrier. Ride quality isn't as plush as Hexa (which is segment benchmark) but as a product it feels one generation ahead.

Also I'm against the idea of getting a car if you don't like how it rides. A suspension upgrade will not make a day and night difference. It's better to pick a car that you genuinely appreciate in stock form even if it comes from a lower segment.

Last edited by self_driven : 16th August 2020 at 09:54.
self_driven is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 10:24   #108
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Fortuner vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
A friend of his told him to get an ARB suspension kit for the Fortuner as it would make a world of difference .
A far simpler fix would be swapping to 15" wheels with comfort-oriented tall sidewall tyres. Not a popular remedy in India, but it's the easiest + makes a world of difference to ride comfort. This is what I would do.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 10:35   #109
BHPian

@ MODS kindly edit the poll question to Rs 35/40 Lakhs SUV and remove the competitors which are no more available and add new competitors like Alturas, CRV etc.
Old 16th August 2020, 19:36   #110
BHPian

Thanks a lot everyone for the suggestion, I forwarded him the link and my Uncle agreed with GTO's idea of getting smaller wheels with tall comfort oriented sidewalls. He'll be booking the car in a week and will swap the tyres for 16 inchers.
Old 20th August 2020, 17:10   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A far simpler fix would be swapping to 15" wheels with comfort-oriented tall sidewall tyres. Not a popular remedy in India, but it's the easiest + makes a world of difference to ride comfort. This is what I would do.
Concur with you on that one, Rush! Not sure what's with the constant increase in wheel size of SUVs these days. My SFX rides on 15 inch wheels and tires with an aspect ratio of 70 - amazingly plush ride to say the least!

Last edited by cool_dube : 20th August 2020 at 17:12.
Old 12th October 2020, 14:49   #112
BHPian

Advice on Best vehicle for Long road trips (e.g BLR to LEH)

Hi

Need help with buying a used or new vehicle that I intent to use for loooong trips. I have the following criteria:
  1. Has to be automatic transmission (easy to drive)
  2. Has to 4x4 or AWD to take care of hilly tracks, not extreme off road but at least chikmanglur level stuff.
  3. Has to be largeish as there will be solo or two people with video and photo gear, tent etc.
  4. Dont want to spend too much (under 20L?).
  5. This is not going to be my regular car thus can be upgraded with any off road mods (e.g. roof top carrier, tent, bumper winch. etc.)
I have been looking at the new Thar and not 100% convinced. Also the other end of the spectrum Im thinking of the MG gloster. I have to complete plans by Jan 2021 (or sooner).

What say, folks.
vkiran_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 17:46   #113
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advice on Best vehicle for Long road trips (e.g BLR to LEH)

Are you open to pre-owmed vehciles? If so a nice Toyota Fortuner would be a perfect fit. Reliable as hell, can take the terrain that you intend to use, has ample space and comfort. Last but not least Toyota support across country.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 18:26   #114
Senior - BHPian

Isuzu V cross all the way, it fits all your requirements. BS 6 model is due to arrive soon.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4905257 (Scoop! Isuzu D-Max BS6 teaser live on website)

Quote:
The launch of Isuzu's BS6 range had been delayed due to the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic. Dealers have been selling BS4 vehicles which they had registered in their names before the deadline. These vehicles are being offered with heavy discounts along with a free 3 year / 1 lakh km maintenance package
Excellent in bad roads/no roads. You can later even look to build a toilet, tents too which would be helpful in these covid times and beyond. With cargo bay and passenger cabin separated, it would be more practical too to make a toilet.You can as well look for a pre owned one or almost new one from BS 4 stock in automatic version(quoted above).

Related news below on making it a camper vehicle. Convert Isuzu D-Max V-Cross to a Moving Home For Rs 2.05 Lakhs
https://www.news18.com/news/auto/con...s-1603365.html

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 12th October 2020 at 18:54.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 18:28   #115
BHPian

The beauty of buying a Pre owned vehicle, it opens a whole new dimension for the buyer. Fortuner/Endeavour is the default advice considering your requirements.

However, I'd also suggest you to look at the hexa, the money you'll save can be channelled towards the maintenance, fuel expenses and unprecedented hiccups if it throws any. Although the mod potential is limited but you'll get the comfort/ride quality better than fortuner and on par with the endy. Also if you're okay with a 5 seater than please glance a look at the Compass, it's fairly reliable with great ride/handling, better creature comforts and fairly reliable.
Abhi5868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 20:31   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkiran_2000 View Post
Hi
[*]Has to be automatic transmission (easy to drive)[*]Has to 4x4 or AWD to take care of hilly tracks, not extreme off road but at least chikmanglur level stuff.[*]Has to be largeish as there will be solo or two people with video and photo gear, tent etc.[*]Dont want to spend too much (under 20L?).[*]This is not going to be my regular car thus can be upgraded with any off road mods (e.g. roof top carrier, tent, bumper winch. etc.)[/list]I have been looking at the new Thar and not 100% convinced. Also the other end of the spectrum Im thinking of the MG gloster. I have to complete plans by Jan 2021 (or sooner).
A pre-owned Ford Endeavour ticks all the boxes, except the price.
You can get a pre-owned 2016 3.2L 4x4AT Titanium Endeavour for about 23 lakhs. This model which is the top model comes with all the bells and whistles like sun-roof, 7 airbags and the more powerful engine. In 2016, Ford also launched the Trend in the 3.2 litre engine without sun-roof. Mechcanically the SUV is the same. The only drawback is that this model came with only front airbags. This model is even rare in the used market and can be bought around 20 lakhs.
At present the 3.2L Endeavour is in demand in the used market and getting hold of one may be a challenge. Take a test drive and feel it.

On the other hand, the old Fortuner is outdated and too bouncy. The new Fortuner is good but will be expensive in the used market due to brand name of Toyota.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 12th October 2020 at 20:42.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 21:09   #117
BANNED

I think a Thar suits your requirements perfectly since you have mentioned your journey will be 2 people with luggage. Had it been 4 people with luggage, I would have recommended any of the following (in no particular order):
Fortuner
Endeavour
Alturas
MU-X / V-Cross
Innova Crysta
turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 22:43   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi5868 View Post
The beauty of buying a Pre owned vehicle, it opens a whole new dimension for the buyer. Fortuner/Endeavour is the default advice considering your requirements.

However, I'd also suggest you to look at the hexa, the money you'll save can be channelled towards the maintenance, fuel expenses and unprecedented hiccups if it throws any. Although the mod potential is limited but you'll get the comfort/ride quality better than fortuner and on par with the endy. Also if you're okay with a 5 seater than please glance a look at the Compass, it's fairly reliable with great ride/handling, better creature comforts and fairly reliable.
A new one or a used? I giess a bs6 is about to be launched.

Tx
Old 12th October 2020, 22:52   #119
BHPian

The Thar is no long distance tourer but more of an offroader.

I can't imagine doing a Bangalore to Leh in a Thar! It'll handle tough terrain well but won't thrill you on the highways. IMO a Thar is a big No for such long distance trips.

A used Fortuner fits your needs perfectly. A good second option would be a used endeavour!
Shreyas_H is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 03:10   #120
BHPian

I am not an expert but from your expectations, I see any 7 seater SUV with AWD and auto transmission will work

One thing to keep in mind is those bulk SUVs tend to guzzle a lot of fuel, so get a car that runs atleast 9-10 kmpl, there is nothing frustrating that searching for fuel stations in remote locations. been there
cmani0000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks