Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2017, 14:40   #16
BHPian

Re: MUV or SUV for 13 lakhs? A conflict between the head & heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Thanks a lot for your suggestions, guys! the overwhelming majority suggestion is S-cross 1.3 although it was not in the fray
So duster is out of the contention, its Ertiga vs Scross now.

I totally agree with your view, GTO. But my family members are adament on getting a new car on the occassion of my son's first birthday (next month). I am not able to convince them :(
I hope you have considered Scorpio S4+ intelli-hybrid also before finalizing any car. The full size SUV will fit your requirements. It has ABS+EBD, 2 Airbags, Adequate space on 2nd row, high GC etc. The ride quality is somewhat harsh but not too much.

Thanks
Ry_der is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 15:04   #17
BHPian

GTO's comments are very practical and makes a lot of sense. In fact for our last two new car purchases, I followed exactly the same kind of logic, kept our old cars longer by a couple of years or so, and then went for new cars. But in your case, I see there is an immediate necessity popping up, and and the family emotions with a new born baby around are easily understandable. Therefore, I would say, your decision to buy a new car is also justifiable .

In addition , for reasons related to hygiene, a new car would be better. Babies of that age tend to put everything in their mouth, and your own car would be far better in this aspect than any rented car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
In fact I'd not even consider S-Cross 1.3 because without the 1.6 engine I personally don't see anything great about it, not to mention we're putting it against Creta.
Creta looks like a smallish SUV, and no doubt is a good car. However, according to many (including me), it is over-priced. The S-Cross does look more like a bigger hatch with a raised stance. Apart from this very apparent difference, in almost every functional aspects, the S-Cross appears a greater value for money, at least to me. Its build quality, driving dynamics at all speeds, and safety features (with all wheel disc brakes) are not easy to match in its price range. In addition, there are many user reviews of the S-Cross 1.3 in our forum, and one can easily see the joys of the happy owners. Agreed, the 1.6 would be more fun to drive, but judging by OP's initial post on his driving style and preference, the 1.3 would serve him very well, I think. In my opinion, the 1.3 is no slouch (sans the excitement of the 1.6) and is effortless to drive.

I do not dislike the Ertiga, but it will not have the build of the S-Cross, as has already been pointed out. Moreover, that 3rd row would be of no use in 99% of the time, if I understood OP's requirements well enough.
asitkde is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 15:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

After going through you query, I can complete suggest the Ertiga for your needs.

It is well within your budget & satisfies all your requirements.
It does not feel like tin-can also. (That was one of your requirement. )

Since, space is one of your paramount requirement, I would suggest this over the S-cross. There is nothing which come close to an MPV in terms of an airy cabin.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 15:45   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
An update from my side : I have paid a token advance of Rs.10000/- to my Maruti dealer towards Ertiga Zdi+. Paid the amount as he was giving me max for my old car. Today afternoon or tomorrow I'll pay a visit to nexa and hopefully get a test drive of S-Cross 1.3.
Although I'd still recommend waiting & buying a better car, if it comes down to these two models, please choose the S-Cross. It's superior in every way to the Ertiga - build, quality, road manners, braking and IMHO safety. Yeah, the S-Cross is weird looking, but the Ertiga is no Katrina Kaif either.

The only area where the Ertiga scores is that last row, but I don't think that's a top priority for you. 99% of the privately owned 7-seater UVs I see have the 3rd row empty 99% of the time. Different matter if you had 6 in your immediate family.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 15:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

I would highly recommend Ertiga over S-Cross as you need more practical layout as well.
With the third row of seats, most of the things that might be required for your kid during your road trips will be accessible easily without stopping.

I would recommend taking a test drive of both Ertiga and S-Cross with you family in tow. This will help you seal the decision.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 17:19   #21
BHPian

Unless, you really really need the third row (which I doubt considering other shortlisted cars), I don't se any reason to go for Ertiga over S-Cross. Its a much more refined car, with arguably the best quality bild and interior produced by Maruti yet. The Zeta variant is very well priced and has more than what Ertiga ZDI+ priced similarly has. In addition, its much further from the taxi image than Ertiga.

If you do have a need for the third row, then you may also look at BR-V. It has more space the Ertiga, more SUVish looks and more handsome IMHO.
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 11:56   #22
BHPian

I am expecting a test drive today afternoon; the nexa salesperson is scheduled to visit my place. Over the phone, he mentioned that the TD vehicle is a 2015 model and the new model is a facelift. Is there any significant changes between these 2 models? Also, the salesperson was not sure when I asked him the headlamp rating. Existing owners, kindly share the info.
Old 11th April 2017, 11:57   #23
BHPian

I would suggest a 7 seater and in your case the Ertiga because it can fit your requirement of 1 baby seat+4 adults+1 kid in decent comfort and still have one seat in 3rd row empty which can be folded and used as luggage space. Ertiga's 50:50 split 3rd row and 60:40 split sliding 2nd row will be at your advantage.

As for your queries on the Ertiga:
1&2.The 1.3 diesel manages to do the job well when you are on right gear and right rpm. Highway cruising is effortless.
3.Though the beige interior plastics are to live with. A dark color or grey color (to match the dashboard) seat covers will help.
4.The GC is better than most hatchbacks and sedans. Except for a couple of insanely huge speed breakers on broken rural roads down south, our Ertiga has not scraped with 6 people onboard.

Last edited by Torino : 11th April 2017 at 12:03. Reason: add point
Torino is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 12:16   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

When the budget and car of choice don't add up, my input will be to go pre-owned. Not many folks are ok to upgrade to a pre-owned car, and from your post on family's insistence to get a new car by your little one's birthday, I assume they won't be ok for pre-owned.

But with your budget of 12-13L , a pre-owned creta will fit in your budget ( may be difficult to get but worth trying) or even an XUV ( should be much easier to get). Several other choices will also come into the picture if you go pre-owned.

Also, I feel you are rushing a bit to meet the birthday deadline. Maybe worthwhile to take a step back and reconfirm that the car your are getting ( Ertiga in this case as of now) is the one you really want or are you unknowingly compromising in order to meet a deadline your family has put.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 12:26   #25
Team-BHP Support

I drove the S-cross a few weeks back and it is a way better vehicle than Ertiga in almost all departments. The build quality is one of the best from the Suzuki stable and comparable to the European vehicles sold here. Regarding the looks, a white S-cross with black alloys and black roof will look mean

Last edited by BlackPearl : 11th April 2017 at 12:27.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 14:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Since you are looking for a family car, go for Ertiga. It may not be a driver's car; It may fail to hold a candle to S Cross in terms of build quality. But the second row of seats are second to none in comfort and space. They can be adjusted for leg room and the the backrests are reclinable. The third row seats can seat children comfortably or can be folded to accomodate extra luggage.

The engine is well tuned too and unless you are looking to drive really aggressively, there isn't any lag. Right speed at the right rpm is the key to extract both power and mileage in an Ertiga diesel.

Even when your child grows up, Ertiga will be a far more sensible option for him than the S Cross. The bane of beige interiors can easily be overcome by using seat covers.

Alternatively, you can look at the limited edition Ertiga available in Vdi trim with sufficient bells and whistles.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...eview-199.html
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 15:06   #27
BHPian

I own an S-cross Zeta(have covered around 23K KMS) and these are my points why you should consider S-cross over Ertiga if third row is not necessary for you

1) The front seats are extremely comfortable, the back seat is wider with very good leg room. In short drives I even had 4 adults squeeze at the back with less discomfort.
2) You can easily cruise at 120KM in 4 & 6 lanes roads (I travelled with 4 adults and a kid).
3) It comes with premium features like ACC and Cruise Control. Cruise control is really useful if you drive sedately. I had set it at 95-100 in Bangalore-Chennai, Bangalore - Pune highways, the drive was very relaxing and I got excellent mileage too.
4) Boot is very well designed and is very practical. You can actually pack more than what the official boot size suggests.
5) Drive side arm rest is very useful on long drives.

The negatives I see are
1) no SHVS
2) no AC Control or Accessory sockets in the second row.

Last edited by GTO : 11th April 2017 at 23:00. Reason: Strictly no mention of illegally high speeds on Team-BHP
jaganpec2002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 15:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Even when your child grows up, Ertiga will be a far more sensible option for him than the S Cross.
See the way I look at it, I feel the S-Cross is the more sensible option among the two and here's why:

1. The better build quality of the S-Cross means in the case of a fender bender (which is inevitable when the child grows up ) damage will be less and consequently the cost of repairs too.

2. Then you've got the more robust suspension which means one won't have to replace suspension linkages like lower-arm ends half as many times and in the long run the chassis will be prone to less flex which inevitably means the car will last longer.

3.Having 3 rows of seats is nice if you constantly have 7 people travelling in the car otherwise the lower center of gravity of the S-Cross and added stability at high speeds makes it more capable of high speed emergency maneuvers which adds to the safety advantage in terms of build and braking that it already poses over the Ertiga.

I am curious to know, is it just the extra row of seats (suitable only for small children) the reason why you believe the Ertiga is more practical? Curious to understand, what constitutes a " far more sensible" option according to you? I don't mean any offence just trying to open a discussion on the topic.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 11th April 2017 at 15:24.
IshaanIan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 15:54   #29
BHPian

I would consider smartcat's opinion. I too am in a similar situation; My little one has changed the equation for the way we travel in a huge way. I am still holding on to my Fiesta. The boot absorbs most of the luggage thankfully and generously.
The child seat takes up a lot of space and with that in place there will be hardly any space for 2 adults behind. With the kid, we would need to pack up a lot of clothes, so its her clothes that occupy most of the space.

In my opinion, you should either consider a 7 seater or a 'proper' sedan with a good enough boot space. The additional 2 seats from a 7 seater would greatly help in moving the additional luggage or people.
If I were you, I would be choosing between Ertiga. BRV, Lodgy, pre-owned Innova or a pre-owned XUV.

Good luck with your choice!

BTW, the following video at TED had got me thinking on child seats.

Last edited by glenmz : 11th April 2017 at 15:59.
glenmz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 16:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Let us understand that this is a not a thread discussing whether S Cross is a better car than Ertiga. It invariably is. What is of interest here is the choice of a car for an individual who wants to:
Quote:
carry a lot of things whenever I go out. An infant car-seat is fitted in the rear bench. I need to carry a folded stroller in the boot and lots of bottles, flasks, water-heater, sterilizer etc. After fitting the infant-seat, the rear bench is effectively half occupied. And there is hardly any boot space left after keeping the stroller. There is no space for my parents or friends to accompany us in the car on long drives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
See the way I look at it, I feel the S-Cross is the more sensible option among the two and here's why...The better build quality of the S-Cross means in the case of a fender bender (which is inevitable when the child grows up ) damage will be less and consequently the cost of repairs too.
When I say grows up, I don't mean grown up enough to drive his father's car! I am pointing just a few years ahead when he could be sitting alone in the back seat. At this point, and of course in the immediate present when he would have his mother by his side, the second row seats of Ertiga are a boon. Lots of space, options for finer adjustments, easy access to the third row and of course the 60:40 split make them ideal for long journeys.

Quote:
Then you've got the more robust suspension which means one won't have to replace suspension linkages like lower-arm ends half as many times and in the long run the chassis will be prone to less flex which inevitably means the car will last longer.
Frankly, the cost of replacement of suspension parts and chassis flex in the long run are too abstract and unclear at this stage and hence I will refrain from commenting on them.

Quote:
Having 3 rows of seats is nice if you constantly have 7 people travelling in the car otherwise the lower center of gravity of the S-Cross and added stability at high speeds makes it more capable of high speed emergency maneuvers which adds to the safety advantage in terms of build and braking that it already poses over the Ertiga.

I am curious to know, is it just the extra row of seats (suitable only for small children) the reason why you believe the Ertiga is more practical? Curious to understand, what constitutes a " far more sensible" option according to you? I don't mean any offence just trying to open a discussion on the topic.
I regularly travel in an Ertiga and a Xylo. Sincerely speaking, high/low CG comes into play only if you are a reckless/careless/over enthusiastic driver. For normal city driving and relaxed highway cruising, Ertiga is a more than capable steed. Also noteworthy, in the present case, is the fact that the OP is upgrading from a Ritz. So, he can easily climb up the learning curve of driving a high CG car- if required.

The third row is comfortable for children. But that doesn't mean it cannot accommodate adults for short runs. Anyhow, I am looking at Ertiga as a luxurious (for the budget) five seater which can also be used as a seven seater occasionally.

And, as far as fender benders are concerned, I will just say that though the structural integrity of a car plays a major role in protecting its occupants, it is the protectee himself who is to be blamed for an accident. A moron is as likely to die/kill in a RR Ghost as he is while driving a humble Alto.
dailydriver is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed