Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 16:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: MUV or SUV for 13 lakhs? A conflict between the head & heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Let us understand that this is a not a thread discussing whether S Cross is a better car than Ertiga. It invariably is. What is of interest here is the choice of a car for an individual who wants to:
The Ertiga definitely offers excellent boot space with the 3rd row folded down but the S-Cross should not have any trouble carrying the items OP has listed. All things being the same, the Ertiga would be a better bet in this case however the S-Cross does trump the Ertiga in several more aspects which I have already mentioned so I guess it all boils down to how much extra luggage space is required and whether it is worth the losses incurred in terms of build quality, dynamic ability and safety.

Quote:
I regularly travel in an Ertiga and a Xylo. Sincerely speaking, high/low CG comes into play only if you are a reckless/careless/over enthusiastic driver.
HUGE mistake to make that assumption especially considering we live in India; a place where cows cross highways, villagers ride on the wrong side of the highway sometimes even on the fast lane (encountered one on the right lane of a curve when travelling from Bangalore to Hyderabad and had I not been driving my Friend's Fiesta, we would have turned to muck), speed-breakers pop up randomly without markings etc. Anything can happen to you regardless of whether or not you are driving carelessly.

Quote:
Also noteworthy, in the present case, is the fact that the OP is upgrading from a Ritz. So, he can easily climb up the learning curve of driving a high CG car- if required.
The Ritz may seem like a tall boy but it is actually a very well mannered handler and its CG is not as high as one might think. Trust me I own a WagonR which is more like what the Ertiga would be to drive.

Quote:
And, as far as fender benders are concerned, I will just say that though the structural integrity of a car plays a major role in protecting its occupants, it is the protectee himself who is to be blamed for an accident. A moron is as likely to die/kill in a RR Ghost as he is while driving a humble Alto.
In all cases it is the "protectee" who is to be blamed? Again a very blind statement that you are making here IMO for the reasons I have listed above. Besides, apart from outright crashes where occupant safety is in question, by fender benders, I meant small accidents in traffic for example being rear-ended or rear-ending someone the Ertiga would crumple a lot more in such cases which means more panel damage and potential axle damage as well.

All said and done I agree that the Ertiga does hold the advantage when it comes to bootspace and also rear seat comfort. The cushioning in the Ertiga's rear seat seems a lot more ergonomically sound to me than that in the S-Cross.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 11th April 2017 at 16:43.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 16:58   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Let us understand that this is a not a thread discussing whether S Cross is a better car than Ertiga. It invariably is. What is of interest here is the choice of a car for an individual who wants to:
Yes. Since he was considering Creta, Duster, i20 Active etc., it gives an impression that the 3rd row of seat isn't a necessity for him. He needs a wider rear seat that can accommodate two adults along with a child seat and a bigger boot. Though S-Cross has 353 liter boot on paper it is very well shaped and can accommodate more than similarly sized boots in other cars. Thus the comparison came between S-cross and Ertiga and which would suit his requirements better.

Is it having 2 Adult sit comfortably in the back seat of S-cross along with a child seat or having an Adult sit in the 3-row of Ertiga? People have general opinion that 3rd row of Ertiga is not suited for Adults and I don't think he will put the child seat in 3rd row.

Is it having a extra row of seat that he may not use at all than having features like ACC, Cruise Control and better ride on broken roads?

S-Cross now comes with ISOFIX mount as standard as well but not sure about Ertiga.

If the third row is a necessity to him then no need to discuss about S-Cross at all
jaganpec2002 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 17:32   #33
BHPian

If the OP is open for a 5-seater, then the Toyota Etios VX is a great choice as well.
Safe, reliable, can seat 2 adults and a child seat in the back, huge boot to gobble stroller and luggage bags, bottle holders in all doors.
It is decently feature-loaded and with sufficient ground clearance and comfortable ride quality.
Any reason why Etios isn't the right choice?
aamateen46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 18:32   #34
BHPian

Dear Ankan,
I would suggest that you go with S-cross.
In December I went shopping for a new hatch and landed up in Nexa for TD of a Baleno. They had a long waiting period of 6-8 weeks for delivery, and quite frankly I found the car overpriced and not really up to the hype. When I pointed this out to the sales executive, he suggested I consider S-cross. Though it was way out of my meagre budget, I still gave it a once over.
The car is very un maruti like in build quality it feels solid and well put together. Coming from Ritz you can appreciate it as the Ritz is another such un maruti like car from same stable.
The interiors are nice and roomy and I dare say much more premium than the Ertiga.
Also engines being the same in both Ertiga and S-cross 1.3 that becomes a moot point. I have driven Ertiga for a few 80 odd km runs between my hometown and Kanpur and I can very well say that apart from additional row of seats neither comfort nor ride quality or handling are outstanding. It checks a lot of boxes but is strictly a jack of all trades.
S-cross on the other hand feels premium, is more comfortable and safer with better handling. Also with the new facelift it becomes something of a looker as well. I would suggest you go for it if third row is not an absolute requirement.
It will suit your budget and be more in Creta's ballpark than the Ertiga.

Last edited by Cool_leo_guy : 11th April 2017 at 18:44. Reason: Grammatical error
Cool_leo_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 19:00   #35
BHPian

Why Not the Honda WR-V ?? I just test drove it, and it's an excellent product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
  • Safety :: Check
  • Rear seat space::Loads of it
  • Ride Comfort:: Good Enough
  • Build quality & Reliability:: It's a Honda !!
  • Boot space: Awesome Again !!!
  • Highway Performance : 100 BHP !!! Good Enough
  • Servicing : 1 year - 10k KMs - Honda is customer centric.
  • City Performance : Excellent (based on my TD)
  • Ground Clearance : Good Enough
  • Fuel : Diesel. Yup !!
  • Fuel Efficiency : My friend got 24 on highway with light foot according to break in period
Driving habit: Suits You i would say

Budget:
I have fixed a budget of on-road 12-13 L in Bangalore. - Check
BB311 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 19:14   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamateen46 View Post
If the OP is open for a 5-seater, then the Toyota Etios VX is a great choice as well.
Safe, reliable, can seat 2 adults and a child seat in the back, huge boot to gobble stroller and luggage bags, bottle holders in all doors.
It is decently feature-loaded and with sufficient ground clearance and comfortable ride quality.
Yes it is a great choice as well. But when the choice is between Etios and S-Cross which one would you go for? Apart from the bigger boot what it offers over S-Cross? During my own car search(in 2015) my wife rejected Etios right away saying she doesn't like the dash at all.
jaganpec2002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 19:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The primary reasons would be the Interiors & exteriors.
The materials used may be fair, but the design inside out is just too utilitarian & 90s.

P.S. My personal opinion. OP may chose based on his needs.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 11th April 2017 at 19:50.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 00:36   #38
BHPian

Quote:
As I have mentioned in my first post, sedans were not really in the contention.
I have great respect for all toyota cars because of their legendary reliability. But Etios has such an Ola/Uber image (no offense meant to private Etios owners), that I never actually thought specifically about Etios. I will surely check out the VX trim you mentioned, even though I have only Maruti in my mind now.
Old 12th April 2017, 03:26   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
In fact I'd not even consider S-Cross 1.3 because without the 1.6 engine I personally don't see anything great about it, not to mention we're putting it against Creta.
The Creta is a great car. But a lot of its goodness ends with the aesthetic appeal and road presence. The OP is aiming for practicality over aesthetics or performance. I went through the dilemma of getting either the S-Cross or the Creta back in 2015. I compared S-Cross 1.3 to Creta 1.4 and then the 1.6 to the 1.6 too with back to back test drives. I could not associate even a single significant advantage of getting the Creta over the S-Cross apart from their aesthetics (the Creta didn't even have the Navigation back then). I saved myself about 2~2.5 lakhs and have been a very happy owner of a 1.3 Zeta since.

To the OP, I strongly recommend getting the TD of the S-Cross as soon as you can. Drive it through traffic, on open roads, test the suspension and braking dynamics. A good 20-30 minutes of driving and I am sure you will not look at any other car in your list. I let go of my 2010 Ritz Vxi too for the S-Cross! 😁
sunejarahul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 19:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
If the OP is open for a 5-seaterhumongous, then the Toyota Etios VX is a great choice as well.
I agree with aamateen46 here. Etios is the best car to seat 2 people + child seat at the back and Etios also has ISOFIX mounts. The boot space is humongous and can carry the famliy's luggage + stroller + any other misc luggage. The ride + handling will surprise you in Etios, infact the Etios 1.5 petrol is powerful and fun to drive car. All toyotas have proved to be reliable, durable and super low maintenance costs involved.

There are brilliant ownership reviews of Etios here at the forum, pointing to couple of them below:The only other car is Logan (Verito) which can seat 3 people abreast without comprising shoulder space. But this is a too old a car and Mahindra service quality isn't no where near to Maruti or Toyota. All other pseudo SUVs, crossovers and smaller MUVs cannot comfortably seat 3 at the 2nd row, its always a squeeze.

The next best option would be Ertiga, if high seating position is a must.
Although Maruti service costs are no more cheap, I observe that it costs more than twice of how much it costs in a Toyota.
Herbie98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 00:08   #41
BHPian

Update: After taking a short test drive of 1.3 Scross today, my wife liked the ride quality especially on a short broken stretch. She is now inclined towards the Scross. Now I need to check whether it is possible to transfer the booking for Ertiga to that of Scross without inviting any cancellation fee.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 01:02   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now I need to check whether it is possible to transfer the booking for Ertiga to that of Scross without inviting any cancellation fee.
If your Maruti dealer has a Nexa outlet, I am sure they will help you out and do internal transfer of the booking amount without any cancellation charges.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 02:05   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Update: After taking a short test drive of 1.3 Scross today, my wife liked the ride quality especially on a short broken stretch. She is now inclined towards the Scross. Now I need to check whether it is possible to transfer the booking for Ertiga to that of Scross without inviting any cancellation fee.
Please do not let your dealership impose a fine or fee for cancellation of your booking. The booking amount is just a small advance token money used for buying the vehicle. If there is no sale, they do not have any right to deduct any advances thay you have paid. Back in 2015, I cancelled the booking for a Honda Jazz in favour of the S-Cross and the Honda people were adamant on charging a cancellation fee of ₹5000 from my booking amount of ₹50,000. I refused to take the ₹45,000 cheque and shot an email to Honda and within one hour got a call from the dealership for 100% refund cheque. I had cancelled this booking merely 50-60 hours before scheduled delivery.
sunejarahul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 08:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I need to check whether it is possible to transfer the booking for Ertiga to that of Scross without inviting any cancellation fee.
There's no cancellation charges even for SCross, forget alone Maruti!! If they charge, then they're taking you for a ride as simple as that. Which outlet did you book? If you're from Bangalore, no need to think anything beyond Suraksha Motors. They do their best & beyond any Maruti in Bangalore.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 10:11   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Update: After taking a short test drive of 1.3 Scross today, my wife liked the ride quality especially on a short broken stretch. She is now inclined towards the Scross.
How many km did you drive? It will be good if you elaborate your experience about ease of driving, slow speed and high speed ride quality, turbo lag issues in the city etc.

As a side note, as per your requirement, SCross seems to be the most logical choice if you do not need the 3rd row of seats.
sups is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks