Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2017, 19:47   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Tucson or VW Tiguan?

Hi! I am currently driving a Jetta 2.0 tdi and needs replacement as it is over 5 years old and have done 115000 kms. We have decided to have a crossover and not a full blown fat SUV as 80% of the drive is in the city and keeping this in mind we have shortlisted Hyundai Tucson 2.0 crdi GLS/ VW Tiguan Comfort line. The car will be driven by chauffeur 70% of the times.

After having test driven both of them, here are the pros and cons of both of them. To my surprise, Hyundai provided me with a test car for 2 days.

Hyundai Tuscon
Pros:
Good styling
Decent space for 3 in the rear
Nice powerful engine
Good features in GLS
Great sales & after sales
Warranty
Price after GST ( GLS costs 25.4 on road ahmedabad)

Cons:
Ride & handling
Doesn't feel premium inside

VW Tiguan
Pros
Build quality
Premium interiors
Handling and braking stability
Ride Quality
Big boot space
Black interiors

Cons
Price ( Comfortline costs 29.5 on road ahmedabad)
Feels low on power
Question mark on after sales service

Please help me to decide on what i should get.

Last edited by GTO : 7th August 2017 at 00:15. Reason: Typos
bhavit46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 19:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Hyundai Tucson or VW Tiguan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavit46 View Post
Hi! I am currently driving a Jetta 2.0 tdi and needs replacement as it is over 5 years old and have done 115000 kms. We have decided to have a cross over and not a full blown fat SUV as 80% of the drive is in the city and keeping this in mind we have shortlisted Hyundai Tuscon 2.0 crdi GLS/ VW Tiguan Comfort line. The car will be driven by chauffeur 70% of the times.
Since the Jetta is going very strong, I would suggest to wait for a month or so till the Skoda Kodiaq is launched in the market. It might offer the premium feeling of the Tiguan along with the value proposition offered by the Hyundai. (I expect it to be priced near the Tiguan, but with more car on offer for the same price!).
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 20:33   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Since the Jetta is going very strong, I would suggest to wait for a month or so till the Skoda Kodiaq is launched in the market. It might offer the premium feeling of the Tiguan along with the value proposition offered by the Hyundai. (I expect it to be priced near the Tiguan, but with more car on offer for the same price!).

There are no issues with Jetta and it could still go a long way. I feel skoda would be overzealous with the pricing and would price it out of my budget of 25-28 lakhs. Also, as the car would be used mostly in the city, wouldn't Kodiaq be cumbersome to drive.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th August 2017 at 08:10. Reason: Typo
Old 6th August 2017, 23:07   #4
BHPian

re: Hyundai Tucson or VW Tiguan?

I am also soon going to be in a conundrum but mine will be more of Compass vs Tucson. I don't really want to spend as much as a GLS (though I thought it was 26.5 on road in Ahmedabad).

Between the two if budget is not an issue I would say go for the Tiguan, a VW will be more well built and will give you the premium factor. One of the biggest things holding me back in the Tucson is the petrol engine (which won't apply in your case) and the Creta like interiors. Would have suggested the Compass but if it is 70% chauffeur driven, I wouldn't suggest it.

I would suggest you to look at the X1 as well. I have test driven it and its a great car for great value when you at look at 30L for a VW.

Also, while you are at it could you PM me the Tucson and Tiguan price list from Ahmedabad. Thanks !

Last edited by GTO : 7th August 2017 at 00:16. Reason: typos
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 00:23   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Tucson or VW Tiguan?

Quote:
Hi! I am currently driving a Jetta 2.0 tdi and needs replacement as it is over 5 years old and have done 115000 kms.

The car will be driven by chauffeur 70% of the times.
Quote:
There are no issues with Jetta and it could still go a long way.
Frankly, none of them.

1. The Tiguan won't feel like an upgrade at all. It's just like the Jetta, only taller. That's the first thing my brother (a Jetta owner) commented after driving the Tiguan.

2. After living with a Jetta, you'll feel that the Tucson is missing something.

Agreed with CrAzY dRiVeR. Hold onto your Jetta for a while since it's serving you well. 1.15 lakh km is nothing for today's cars if maintained well.

If you are still keen on swapping, as the car will be chauffeur-driven 70% of the time, I'm going to recommend the Superb diesel to you. An outstanding luxury sedan, especially when the intended use is on the backseat. Also check out the Camry (awesome for chauffeur-driven usage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
I would suggest you to look at the X1 as well.
Agreed. Among the crossovers, the new X1 makes for a compelling choice. An all-rounder, and within an arm's length of the Tiguan (after discounts).
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 08:47   #6
BHPian

Hyundai Tucson or VW Tiguan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post

I would suggest you to look at the X1 as well. I have test driven it and its a great car for great value when you at look at 30L for a VW.

Though BMW X1 would be stretch for my budget, i am really worried about the cost of ownership over a period of 5 years with high mileage.

Also, while you are at it could you PM me the Tucson and Tiguan price list from Ahmedabad. Thanks !

Will send you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Frankly, none of them.

1. The Tiguan won't feel like an upgrade at all. It's just like the Jetta, only taller. That's the first thing my brother (a Jetta owner) commented after driving the Tiguan.

Its the same thing my brother commented while driving Tiguan.

Quote:

The thing is we felt something missing in Tucson but even did not felt special in Tiguan. Hence the dilemma.

Quote:
Agreed with CrAzY dRiVeR. Hold onto your Jetta for a while since it's serving you well. 1.15 lakh km is nothing for today's cars if maintained well.

If you are still keen on swapping, as the car will be chauffeur-driven 70% of the time, I'm going to recommend the Superb diesel to you. An outstanding luxury sedan, especially when the intended use is on the backseat. Also check out the Camry (awesome for chauffeur-driven usage).

I thought of Superb but dad needs something higher to sit on.

Quote:
Agreed. Among the crossovers, the new X1 makes for a compelling choice. An all-rounder, and within an arm's length of the Tiguan (after discounts).

I had a good look at X1 but felt half a size smaller with less features though it is a riot to drive. The only concern is to stretch the budget and still have higher running costs in the long run.

Last edited by bhavit46 : 7th August 2017 at 09:02.
Old 7th August 2017, 08:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

With the pricing, Compass should definitely be in the consideration set. Will save you upto 5 lakhs Atleast with all the features and quality available.
Old 7th August 2017, 09:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
With the pricing, Compass should definitely be in the consideration set. Will save you upto 5 lakhs Atleast with all the features and quality available.

I am looking for a diesel automatic which is not yet available on Jeep and Jeep also feels half size smaller than Tucson/Tiguan. Also, with the current pricing ofJeep Compass, i think diesel automatic would be near to 25-26 lakhs on road.
bhavit46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 09:49   #9
BHPian

It is Tiguan vs X1 vs Kodiaq for me too. I have been holding my decision for a while now.
I will make my decision once the Kodiaq is unveiled this week

I did test drive of Tucson too (three times in fact). It is off my list as nothing stands out in Tucson except the good looks.

Agree with all pros and cons you have listed. Here are my observations and opinions.

Where Tiguan scores
- A complete car with loaded features. Ticks all boxes.
- Excellent ergonomics. Seats were more comfortable than X1 and Tucson.
- AWD.
- Premium interiors (if you like black).
- Good space including boot.
- Decent driving dynamics and comfort.
- Steering wheel; I really liked the feel and shape.
- Worldwide success.
- Solid build quality

Where Tiguan falls short
- Looks; More like grown up hatch than a min-SUV.
- Engine and transmission; Good for regular city driving and highway cruise. Quick highway over taking and spirited driving will disappoint you.
- Paddle Shift and SPORT mode; They are useless - I do not know why they wasted money on those.
- Brand; I feel Skoda has better brand value than VW in India.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where X1 scores
- Looks and better SUV stance. Will stand out in crowd.
- Engine and transmission. This car can woo you
- Brand Value; less said is better.
- Space is good overall, but Tiguan gives bit more.
- Dealership experience and ASS would be better.
- Feels more solidly built than Tiguan.
- Optional black interiors at no extra cost (if you want all black).
- Discounts; BMW is willing to negotiate price. VW doesn't give a damn.

Where X1 falls short
- AWD is expensive.
- No Apple/Android connect features.
- Ergonomics; Run flat tires, stiff suspension and hard seating can make you a bit uncomfortable especially on poor road surface.
- Higher TCO if you plan to keep car longer. This is my guess.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where Tucson scores
- Good exterior looks; But smaller sibling CRETA has better SUV stance.
- Higher engine tune compared to Tiguan
- Transmission and gearbox is very responsive. SPORT mode actually works.
- 3 year free service and Proven ASS; Lowest TCO

Where Tucson falls short
- Interior; Though premium material used, it looks and feels like Grand i10.
- No AWD
- No sunroof
- No paddle shift
- You will never engage with this car deeply.

Kodiaq

I watched many European reviews of Kodiaq. I get a feeling that Kodiaq is not going to be as premium as any of these. Cost cutting and poor build quality was visible everywhere including plenty of hard plastics used.
So I am not keeping much of a hope.
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 10:22   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
With the pricing, Compass should definitely be in the consideration set.
A Compass isn't an upgrade for someone who was using a chauffeur-driven Jetta. The rear seat is very hatchback-like in terms of space. Low speed ride quality also has a firmness to it. There are far better options for back seat usage.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 11:02   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Frankly, none of them.

If you are still keen on swapping, as the car will be chauffeur-driven 70% of the time, I'm going to recommend the Superb diesel to you.
My 4 bits:

1. Once you have got used to a low-slung sedan, even a Tiguan may feel too 'tall'.

2. 70% chauffeur-driven + 80% city means going for the best back seat in the business while retaining the 30% weekend(?) driveability. As GTO has suggested, this combo means the Superb diesel, even though the overall size is a minus.

3. OR save the 10 lakhs and buy a Octavia TDI DSG L&K. Even though you will still be in the D segment, the latest facelifted Octy with the bells and whistles should feel more premium.

4. Camry back seat is Superb (pun intended), BUT the 30% self-drive part will make YOU look like the chauffeur.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 11:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

What not the Innova 2.8 Z automatic? It has all the bells and whistles, good power and fantastic comfort, especially in the chauffeur driven mode. Your dad will enjoy the seating and comfort.
The only downside is when you drive, you really won't enjoy the the dimensions and probably lacks the emotional connect of the Jetta.
The way the Tucson and Tiguan are priced it makes the overpriced Innova look like a great value preposition.

Also rumours of the Tucson being launched in 4*4, probably have a sunroof and ventilated seats. The downer will be an expensive sticker price.

What ever you decide be quick before the GST rates are revised by another 10%.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 11:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
My 4 bits:

1. Once you have got used to a low-slung sedan, even a Tiguan may feel too 'tall'.

Tucson/Tiguan is just right height for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
What not the Innova 2.8 Z automatic? It has all the bells and whistles, good power and fantastic comfort, especially in the chauffeur driven mode. Your dad will enjoy the seating and comfort.
The only downside is when you drive, you really won't enjoy the the dimensions and probably lacks the emotional connect of the Jetta. .

Yes, we also considered the Innova and it is a wonderful car for its price considering how Tiguan/ Tucson is priced. But for our major usage in city it is too cumbersome and the interiors didn't feel premium. And for 20% of the time when we would be driving, we would not prefer to drive solely because of the size.

I think i should wait some time for Kodiaq and then take a decision or wait much longer till VW starts offering discounts.

Last edited by GTO : 8th August 2017 at 11:23. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 7th August 2017, 12:59   #14
BHPian

Have you considered the Hexa?

It has a lot going for it and is a surprisingly good vehicle.

Ticks all your boxes - Space, comfort, ride quality, diesel automatic and cost.

I was impressed with how premium the diesel auto back seat feels.

Take a look
car.lover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 19:43   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I think i should wait some time for Kodiaq and then take a decision or wait much longer till VW starts offering discounts.
37 on-road for Tiguan is the final offer I have. This is after a nominal discount of around 50k combined on insurance and handling charge etc.. This price is without zero dep.

GST revision may play unfavorable pretty soon, so I am taking the plunge.

If Kodiaq comes at a better price, I will cancel my booking and switch to Kodiaq is what I am thinking.

Looking at this month's booking, it appears that the market has accepted Tiguan and I am not surprised at all.

X1, an excellent car, but I still feel it is seriously over priced for what it offers!
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed