Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2006, 12:04   #1
BHPian

USED Safari(diesel)or honda city?

HI guys ,
my budget is abt 4lakhs..3-3.5 lakhs for the car and rest for mods.
I know tata safari and honda city are very diferent.but i have driven NHC i dnt like it.. i have never driven an OHC.so i need opinion and help about certain issues.-

1.within my budget whats the better bet?
2.driving comfort
3.maintainance.
4.fuel economy.

my usage is about 30 kms a days.currently i have an esteem.
i am a fan of both honda city n safari.currently am at mumbai..but i would be sending the car to my home town bhubaneswar for my family usage.
Old 12th November 2006, 12:10   #2
BHPian

Well...your question is vague as Safari and OHC belong to comlpete different segments. For 4 lakhs you will get a 4-5 yrs old OHC or Safari.

According to your priorities

2.driving comfort : OHC
3.maintainance. : OHC
4.fuel economy. : OHC

So unless you are into serious off roading stuff, you will be better off with OHC. It has got a gem of an engine which goes well past 1lac km mark without any glitches. Plus, it has got great scope for mods also as compared with Safari.

On the other hand, Safari is not that FE. and is prone to niggling problems as it gets older.

Finally, Honda ==> peace of mind!!
Old 12th November 2006, 12:17   #3
BANNED

Sir! You've posted in the wrong section it seems. Ask mods to move it to What Car? Section.

Will post my opinion after it's done.
Old 12th November 2006, 17:32   #4
BHPian

Friend wrong section ....

diesel safari is very very slow....
try a OHC first ... then straight away you will buy only that....
I think you like safari because of its looks ... i know its looks are quiet deceiving
since your is for a family... safari can seat more ....
based on your priorities safari is too costly in maintainance and economy

please consider your choices....

Ranjith
Old 12th November 2006, 18:28   #5
BHPian

well mine is for family use but..only 3 in family n we already have a good old esteem..i like safari for its robust looks..i never driven an OHC ..i have driven an NHC quite a few times..its gentle..nothn more than that ..can i get a 2001+ 1.5 OHC for 3-3.5 ? in mumbai? please help bhpians..
Old 12th November 2006, 22:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Buying a used diesel vehicle is never recommended. You're better off with the City
Old 13th November 2006, 02:49   #7

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

first you need to analyse whether you need the safari or not.if your city has bad roads or if you need to seat more people,then look no further than the safari.but going by your points to be considered,i would say go for the OHC.maintanance is low,fuel efficiency and power from the 1.5ltr is exceptionall.you can even consider the OHC 1.3 DX which had a 1.3 ltr engine belting out 90bhp.it will give you more efficiency than the 1.5.
i think you have made the choice alreaady for yourself.go ahead with the OHC.
Old 13th November 2006, 19:33   #8
BHPian

ok ...may be i should consider OHC..i have been talking to people who have a safari..and yesterday i got to drive a 2003 4*2 diesel safari..it was a bit lazy..i mean comfortable..but lazy..

ok if i go for OHC in my budget i.e 3.5 what should i look for 1.3/1.5/vtech ??

please help
Old 13th November 2006, 19:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

For that budget your best bet would be a 1.3/1.5. VTEC's might be available but their condition would be pretty sad. Have the car thoroughly checked out by an experienced mechanic before any decisions.

Also do a search for tips on buying second-hand cars & what to look out for in them here on Team-BHP.
Old 13th November 2006, 19:41   #10
BHPian

any one who has an OHC 1.5 or 1.3..please enlighten me on their fuel economy and maintainance?
Old 13th November 2006, 19:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Fuel efficiency should be around 11-15kmpl depending on driving style & conditions. Regular maintenance is pretty cheap and the average service costs around 1200-1500rs.

However in the event of a crash it is not a cheap car to repair.
Old 14th November 2006, 14:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

yeah, one thing to really watch out for while you buy an used car is whether the car has been involved in an accident. for that you need to take a good mechanic with you or get the car verified with the Honda dealer or the TATA dealer as the case may be.
Old 14th November 2006, 15:57   #13
Team-BHP Support

for 3.5 L you could manage a 2001 1.5 ohc or a 2002 1.3 ohc.
In mumbai traffic i get about 9.5-10 kmpl, its a 1.5 exi.

A couple of people have mentioned about buying a safari only if you are into off-roading, only if you need it etc. Well the safari is no serious off-roader and does not have any specific purpose you could buy one for.
It is a slightly slow, but really comfortable SUV. Buy it only if you love it and can live with minor niggles here and there. Slide the beast into third and fourth and be ready for a surprise after the sluggish first and second gears.

The Safari makes for a good highway vehicle as it is really really comfortable.

And please drive an ohc for a clearer picture of what you really desire.

manson.
Old 14th November 2006, 17:11   #14
BANNED

Man!!! Any idea of a Baleno fitting in?? It sure costs less than a OHC, has a good drive and it oozes with torque!!!

If you want to be certain with a used car, just make sure you get to inspect the service history of the vehicle. That'll say a lot of the way car was used/maintained.
Old 14th November 2006, 18:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

OHC is the car. Because i can understand that the feeling for safari is just not pure love. in that case you should defnitely go for Safari. For all other purposes OHC is the vehichle. Vtec might be out of bounds. even 2002 1.5 may be out of bounds. Gurus from Mumbai can help more on the versions and prices. Myself bought an OHC 1.5 Exi recently and i am exhilerated!
NHC is a very good car but bit lazier than the OHC. I went for OHC instead of the high price and interest on the car loan. I would have easily gone in for NHC with all the pressure/cash on me. But it can never put a simle on my face!!
happy hunting.

Last edited by kutlee : 14th November 2006 at 18:08.

Most Viewed