Mahindra XUV500 65 9.45%
Tata Hexa 141 20.49%
Volkswagen Tiguan 40 5.81%
Other (please specify in your post) 24 3.49%
Voters: 688. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th September 2017, 00:36   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Jeep Compass vs the others

Hyundai Creta for me. For the auto transmission, space and solid ASS. Would have been Jeep Compas but limited rear seat space, no auto transmission and unknown ASS experience are factors good enough to keep me away from it.
Old 7th September 2017, 00:39   #62
BHPian

Simply for the fact that FCA/Jeep is not treating Indian buyers as third world citizens and providing export level Build quality, and add to that the awesome 2.0 liter diesel and 5 star safety; my vote goes to Compass.

It still misses out though, on Auto gearbox/ Cruise control/ Sun roof/ Auto headlamps and Jeep should address this when they launch Diesel Auto.

Hexa XTA is 2nd in my list, purely basis VFM positioning, brilliant auto box, and awesome ride quality.

That said, if we have Creta and Hexa in this comparo, then we should have had Innova Crysta too (as it is favorite product at this price point amongst masses)!!!
Old 7th September 2017, 08:45   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
That wicked smile with which I am known for taking U turns from over the smaller medians or that feeling when you can look the road ahead from over the roof of hatchbacks or sedans, that level of confidence I get while I drive SUVs is missing in the Jeep or even XUV. That factor when you never have to search for U turns in the areas where medians are 7-8 inches or even 10 inches high, or not even think twice before planning long trips with your friends, even 6 of them - that matters a lot to me.
OT: That’s a unique perspective – to avoid searching for U-turns and climb over the medians! As a road-user when I see something like this, the immediate thought will be how unsafe driving practice is that.
vb-san is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 10:36   #64
Senior - BHPian

This is a tough one.

Tata Hexa would take the 3rd spot on my list. The Rupee for real estate is the best in segment. Stuck off only for not having the desirability to own one. My personal opinion. No disrespect for Hexa owners intended.

Though the Jeep scores high on driving dynamics fit and a 5* safety rating , the absence of the automatic( diesel), small cabin,absence of the airbags in even the top spec 4*2 and the harsh low speed ride are pushing it to number 2.

My pick here is the Tucson. Though expensive, if a AWD is not a requirement, it scores pretty high on most of the parameters.
180 bhp, 400 nm tourque, decent 6 speed auto,5* safety and more importantly a roomy cabin with reclining rear seats. Feature to feature it will trump the Compass.If they can just add ventilated seats at the same cost, it will be super cool. Literally.

I am in the market for a SUV, and waiting for the Compass diesel auto to make the decision. I will decide once I test drive it. It's a toss up between the Compass and the Tucson.
Old 7th September 2017, 10:44   #65
Team-BHP Support

I'm surpised how the Tucson is leading the poll, when compared to the Tiguan.

Tiguan has received a lukewarm response in the market, quite decent especially considering it's premium positioning - wheras the Tucson is almost a failure in sales. Even in Team-Bhp, I think we have almost as many Tiguan owners as compared to Tucson - even though the former was launched recently only. Many Team-Bhp'ians seem to have taken the decision in this GST price advantage period.

I would pick the Tiguan Comfortline over Tucson GLS AT, and if budget is not an issue - Tiguan Highline with that panoramic sunroof is such a no-brainer over the Tucson.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 11:46   #66

Voted the hexa, with the money. I bought it last week.
My last trip was 300kms with 7 adults. All of them were happy in the car.

The comfort, interiors, driving stability and drive modes are wonderful. Full marks to Engineering.

I think 2 factors weigh down the hexa.
There is no desirability factor created by TML. This is a marketing issue. Maruti is a typical case - they were able to sell premium units with the Nexa branding and wait times stretching to months.
The second factor is the production capacity. I get the impression that TML is happy with 1500 units per month sales to match their capacity. So no aggressive marketing, no ad campaigns, no talks of fleet introduction.
This could also be related to the manufacturing agreements with compass at the same plant.
Old 7th September 2017, 12:07   #67
BHPian

The Compass for me, in the 4x4 trim. If I am in the market looking for a 7 seater with an AT, Hexa it is.
Old 7th September 2017, 13:10   #68
Senior - BHPian

It's the Compass for me. This car has oodles of character which I don't find with the Hyundai's. The Tiguan would be next option, but it has been priced too far away from the others in this list.

If i wanted seven seats, my choice would be the Hexa. A colleague has recently bought one and I was quite impressed with the overall package.
Old 7th September 2017, 16:24   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
How?? We're talking about a 110 bhp engine compared to a 170 bhp engine. How can they be comparable on performance unless I'm missing something.

EDIT
Oh shoot. Sorry. I missed the all important "except". Although I'd imagine engine is most of what performance would constitute.
The BHP/Ton for duster stands at 89 compared to 111 for the JEEP and 97 for the 1.6 Creta. The rest of the SUVs in the list incl the Tiguan are lower. Hence in the power comparo itself Duster stands 3rd. Creta can never have the ride comfort of Duster and hence I did not consider it. For a 20% power difference, is the Price of Jeep + Its mileage per Km worth it? That is a matter of individual choice and I chose Duster. The Duster is not a meek creature. It is a wolf in sheep clothing. If Renault had priced it right( which must be at least 1.5 lakh cheaper) the answer would have been a no brainer. I still think Duster should have been in the list of competitors for Compass.
Neil Roy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 16:24   #70
BHPian

Voted for XUV500. Its still a head turner for me. When I gave a test drive many aspects captured my attention like plush seating, much less body roll & NVH compared to other Mahindras and also less turbo lag. Its a car with which I can drive for 1000 KMs on highway and still feel fresh.

The seating capacity of Compass was a big thumbs down. Moreover, I was expecting a surge of power which was also absent. Its a more linear kind of car. But strongly built, great presence and good to drive.
Old 7th September 2017, 19:22   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
The BHP/Ton for duster stands at 89 compared to 111 for the JEEP and 97 for the 1.6 Creta. The rest of the SUVs in the list incl the Tiguan are lower. Hence in the power comparo itself Duster stands 3rd. Creta can never have the ride comfort of Duster and hence I did not consider it. For a 20% power difference, is the Price of Jeep + Its mileage per Km worth it? That is a matter of individual choice and I chose Duster. The Duster is not a meek creature. It is a wolf in sheep clothing. If Renault had priced it right( which must be at least 1.5 lakh cheaper) the answer would have been a no brainer. I still think Duster should have been in the list of competitors for Compass.

Sure. I agree the ride quality of the duster is truly impeccable and far better than jeep. But I can't pin it with numbers although even torque is much higher for the Jeet. Somehow when I drove the compass it plastered a proper smile on my face but I've driven the duster and not had the same feeling.

Ultimately you are right that it comes down to personal preference in the context of budget as well. If price was no object I would have readily picked the Tiguan from that list. Personally the compass ticked the boxes for me.
Old 8th September 2017, 10:58   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Ratio of votes for Compass:Hexa here is around 3:1, actual sales numbers are also 2-2.5k : 0.7-1.5k (approx 3:1). Which shows common man is also giving similar kind of weightage to the products as this forum. But, given the gradual change i notice about the perception of Tata among the people, i expect that things can only improve for Tata here onwards.
Compass has a lot going for it compared to the Hexa
1. Brand: We perceive Jeep to be a luxury, macho brand but Tata is considered as a common-man brand
2. Pricing: The compass pricing took everyone by surprise while Hexa pricing is in ballpark range of expectations
3. Quality: Compass has great all round quality, same cannot be said about the Hexa
4. Relevance: The target audience is Urban crowd who wants a compact 5 seater (thats where Jeep will setup their primary network); Target audience for Hexa is a confused state of affairs. I cant really figure out who are they exactly targetting!
Old 8th September 2017, 14:37   #73
BHPian

I voted for Jeep as its well built and from reviews appears to have very less lag within city and fun to drive. Moreover looks good.

Only thing against it is that its a tight 5 seater and that may not work for some people, imagine having such a huge vehicle that can't even transport 5-6 people in comfort.

Hence as always second choice is XUV500.
Old 8th September 2017, 15:21   #74
BHPian

Need advice.

Have booked a Compass and expecting delivery end of this month. However, I'm rethinking on following points:

- Lack of six airbags, buying 4x4 is too much of a stretch
- Lack of automatic in diesel, petrol being too fuel inefficient
- Lack of lumbar support, auto headlamps and electric rear view mirror are big misses

I intend to keep a Driver but I would also be driving quite a bit.

Here, I'm now thinking about XUV 5oo because it covers the above points besides plethora of additional features. Second row seat is also decent and after sales could be better. The upcoming facelift could sweeten the deal.

However, it does not have the looks or character of the Compass and the design is also a bit dated.

Need to make a decision soon.

Mods: I wasn't sure whether this is the right thread. Please move if not correct.

Last edited by wordsworth : 8th September 2017 at 15:24.
Old 8th September 2017, 17:42   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsworth View Post
However, it does not have the looks or character of the Compass and the design is also a bit dated.

Need to make a decision soon.
How about the best of both worlds? Dunno if the model is available anymore but I've always liked the Ssangyong Rexton, in my view it looks way better than the Compass and has the Mahindra factor along with decent kit (4 airbags?) plus it looks like a proper big car and it isn't common at all.

I've sat in the Rexton, tremendous car.. good space, excellent seats, good plush ride and reasonable pricing. Don't know about reliability factor though.

The XUV is total VFM and that's the reason many people prefer it well over bigger brands. If you need the space then go for XUV, if not then Compass. If the Rexton is reliable and service is dependable then that is my straight pick.

Most Viewed