Mahindra XUV500 57 9.44%
Tata Hexa 134 22.19%
Volkswagen Tiguan 33 5.46%
Other (please specify in your post) 22 3.64%
Voters: 604. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th September 2017, 22:58   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Jeep Compass vs the others

The Compass for me. If nothing else, the excellent diesel engine and fairly compact dimensions for city traffic should make it the choice for today's nuclear families. Add to it, the good safety rating. Except for the airbags and maybe, the cruise control, most of the other missing features are gimmicks at best, nothing else. Can the absence of rain sensing wipers, auto dimming IRVM, etc. really be deal breakers ?

The only question mark I foresee is the " after sales and service. "

Having said that, have booked the Compass limited and expecting delivery in the next few days. So, consider this a biased view !
RedRaider is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 23:24   #77
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Isuzu MU X is missing here which has the capability to beat each and every vehicle listed here at this price point. Its an SUV of a segment higher with price tag competing with the above listed SUVs.
drbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 07:33   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Are such polls ever correct? Whenever a new launch takes place, we tend to vote for that. The compass is the flavour of the season in the SUV segment and hence I am not surprised that it is easily winning in this poll. A few months back the Hexa might have enjoyed the same success and Creta before that and so on. Honestly we should wait atleast a year before voting on such matters.

Lastly why not also add Innova into this mix. It can do everything that most of the cars listed above can, has equal or more features than the cars listed above, more space, brand loyalty and now also comes with AT options. It might just change the results quite a bit.
drmohitg is online now   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 13:19   #79
A M
BHPian

I feel XUV and Hexa should not be included in this poll. The are 7 seaters while the others are 5 seaters. The target audience is different even though cross-shopping will happen for sure.
I might be more interested in Hexa as I have 8 people in the family who like to travel together. But someone looking for a daily driver will look for a more compact option.
A M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 15:20   #80
BHPian

I voted for XUV500. Not just cause I own one but cause in the 2.5 years I have it, it has not disappointed in any way. Its my daily ride on bangalore's choked roads and I pretty much take it into every nook and corner of the city. Size has never been a disadvantage and as a 5 seater which is my regular weekend use, the car is the most spacious. I recently sat in hexa which was pretty good as well but felt short on space on middle row compared to XUV. Compass is certainly most desirable of the lot but off my list due to smaller size.

My order would be XUV -> Compass -> Hexa -> Tuscon ->Creta -> Tiguan
supertinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2017, 23:53   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Lastly why not also add Innova into this mix. It can do everything that most of the cars listed above can, has equal or more features than the cars listed above, more space, brand loyalty and now also comes with AT options. It might just change the results quite a bit.
I second this . If XuV & Hexa are in the contest then We should add the Innova as well . At that price point it can change the equation .

Took a short test drive of Compass , Though it drives well and has a very good ride & build quality , it may not be able to manage the volume as others.

My Vote is towards the Innova Crysta.
ansumaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2017, 10:40   #82
BHPian

I was a little surprised that the Duster was not mentioned in the contender List. Hence voted "Other".
Own a Compass 4x4 Limited. Owned a Duster 110 FWD.
Am in the process of deciding between the Hexa XTA and the Xuv 500 W9, as a replcement for our Ford Ecosport.

Surprisingly, I find that the Duster AWD 110 still is the best value for money. Drab interiors, yes. But still feels more premium than the more expensive XUV500. The ceapest to buy in the 100bhp+ category, adequate space, strong perfomance, AWD, adequate features for it's price, butch looks, and that awesome ride.For the city, the Duster is the car.

The Hexa would come second for me. It lacks the feature list of the XUV 500. But still has a premiumness that the XUV cannot match. Add to that, class leading space and class trumping ride quality. For the highway, look no furthur if you can ignore the bad reputation that Tata has earned. But with my recent interaction with the Tata dealership, I am convinced that they are doing all they can to wash off their bad image.

The Jeep and the Creta come 3rd. With the Jeep, you do feel a little shortchanged due to the lack of creature comforts and the lack of space. But a driver's car it is, through and through and the brand name too puts a smile on your face. As for the Creta, this is the best all rounder with the right mix of features, price, premiumness, performance, ride and space. It's just that the car is too ubiquitous

The Xuv 500 is an excellent car, in that you get more and even more for what you pay. But when you are done fiddling with the bountiful features that the car has to offer ( the sunroof, power seats and the like), there is nothing strikingly special about the car.

The Tiguan, Tuscon and the Crysta, I would relegate to the Horizon. They just do not justify the price that you pay. Among these three, the Tiguan is the most justified for the asking price.

Last edited by igp_79 : 30th October 2017 at 10:49.
igp_79 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2018, 15:44   #83
BHPian

any news about timings around automatic diesel launch?
saurabhb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 05:48   #84
BHPian

I don't understand how come a product like Jeep compass is getting this much response in India. I am telling this after driving a rental Jeep compass here in US which is brand new and it was one awful car. It is neither spacious not enjoyable to drive. My colleague who is owning this also faces lot of issues with the car and it is not reliable. Only thing I like from Jeep stable is the Wrangler with a manual tranny.

With that said, I would take Hexa or XUV 5OO from current stable if I am looking for one in that budget for 8 seater or wait for Harrier or take Creta in 5 seater version.
hema4saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 11:34   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
I don't understand how come a product like Jeep compass is getting this much response in India. I am telling this after driving a rental Jeep compass here in US which is brand new and it was one awful car. It is neither spacious not enjoyable to drive. My colleague who is owning this also faces lot of issues with the car and it is not reliable. Only thing I like from Jeep stable is the Wrangler with a manual tranny.

Maybe in the USA there are better options available in form of other worthy competitors but when we talk about India, the Compass has created a segment for itself. Hope you have driven the Indian Compass. For me the Compass is the most fun to drive compact SUV with proper car like handling, brilliant ride, one of the best EPS, swift gearbox, powerful engine and excellent built quality. Yes it might not be as big as its true competitors (Tiguan / Tuscon) but then it undercuts them on price and excels on other attributes.
Waspune is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2018, 21:50   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Maybe in the USA there are better options available in form of other worthy competitors but when we talk about India, the Compass has created a segment for itself. Hope you have driven the Indian Compass. For me the Compass is the most fun to drive compact SUV with proper car like handling, brilliant ride, one of the best EPS, swift gearbox, powerful engine and excellent built quality. Yes it might not be as big as its true competitors (Tiguan / Tuscon) but then it undercuts them on price and excels on other attributes.
I agree this to some extent. I didn't drive the Indian Compass yet. But the price it was launched is exactly to US equivalent price which is one major differentiating factor from other competitors. Tucson/CRV/Tiguan are more expensive in India even though they all fall under same category here in US. Hope Kia creates a segment for itself when they launch their models next year like Jeep.
hema4saran is offline   Reply With Quote