Jeep Compass vs the others

Jeep Compass vs the others-jeep-compass-specifications.jpg

Jeep Compass

What you'll like:

• Handsome Cherokee-inspired styling & loads of character
• Solid build. Feels very robust, just as a Jeep should
• Powerful 2.0L diesel. Good driveability in the city, fast on the open road
• Mature suspension setup, nicely-tuned EPS & rock-solid stability
• Capable AWD available (unlike some competitors)
• City-friendly: Compact size, higher seating, smooth gearshift, soft clutch & low NVH
• Topnotch safety: Strong all-disc brakes, a plethora of electronic aids & 6 airbags
• We think the Compass is well-priced for what it offers. The driving experience & overall package feel premium

What you won't:

• Small size for the price! A sentiment echoed by most people who saw it in person
• Suitable for 4 adults, not 5. Narrow cabin
• Inexplicably, only the AWD Diesel gets 6 airbags! All other variants have 2
• Tiny dealership network. Plus, after-sales quality & long-term reliability are unknown factors
• AWD's premium is over 2 lakh rupees on-the-road. Includes 4 extra airbags, but is still too much
• Diesel Automatic is still sometime away (petrol AT coming soon)
• Turning radius of 5.65m is more than the Safari Storme's. Also, 17º approach angle is too low
• Missing goodies (blanks on the steering, auto-dimming IRVM, auto wipers & headlamps, lumbar adjustment, reclinable rear seats)

Review Link

Hyundai Tucson

What you'll like:

• Contemporary styling that is universally appealing
• Punchy 2.0L diesel engine mated to a smooth automatic transmission
• Comfortable ride quality & car-like dynamics
• Cool features such as the hands-free tailgate, LED headlamps, electric parking brake, ECO / Sport driving modes & more
• Top-notch safety kit: 6 airbags, ESC, VSM, all-wheel disc brakes, hill-start assist etc.
• Hyundai's reliability, competent after-sales, 3 year unlimited km warranty & 3 years of free servicing!

What you won't:

• No w-o-w factor on the inside. Interior simply doesn't feel special enough for a Rs. 30 lakh car
• Expensive, especially the top trim. Full-size 7-seater SUVs are priced in the same ballpark
• Some features are conspicuous by their absence (sunroof, auto-wipers, ventilated seats)
• Manual transmission gets step-motherly treatment; poverty-spec base variant only
• 2.0L petrol motor is strictly average. Doesn't impress like the diesel. No fully loaded petrol either
• No AWD on offer! All competitors offer that capability

Review Link

Hyundai Creta

What you’ll like:

• An all-rounded urban SUV. Perfect size for Indian cities...good looking too!
• Well packaged interiors offer sufficient legroom & headroom
• Excellent 1.6L petrol & diesel engines. Awesome refinement levels
• Automatic + diesel combination available. 6-speed AT is very smooth
• Balanced suspension offers comfortable ride quality & neutral handling
• Hyundai's reliability, competent after-sales & 3 year unlimited kms warranty
• Equipment such as 6 airbags, ESP, touchscreen ICE, hill-start assist, reversing camera & more

What you won’t:

• Premium pricing! Most BHPians feel that it's overpriced by Rs. 1 - 1.5 lakhs
Several missing features, big & small. Disappointing at this price point
• Petrol MT & Diesel AT are unavailable in the SX(O) trim
• Rear seat is more suitable for 2 adults, not 3
• No AWD capability like the Duster & XUV500. Adventure tourers, look elsewhere
• Some competitors offer you 3 seat rows for the same money

Review Link

Mahindra XUV500

What you’ll like:

• 6-speed AT is smooth & capable. Superbly mated to the mHawk diesel
• Available with AWD & in the fully loaded variant (unlike the Hyundai Creta)
• Well-engineered, contemporary SUV with a value-for-money price tag
• Acres of space on the 1st & 2nd seat rows
• Competent engine delivers fantastic driveability & highway performance
• Balanced ride & handling package
• Safety kit includes 6 airbags, ESP with rollover mitigation, ABS + EBD and all-wheel disc brakes
• Expansive feature list (sunroof, touchscreen ICE, powered driver's seat, cruise control etc.)

What you won’t:

• Absolutely no luggage capacity with all the seats in place
• Cramped 3rd seat row is best suited to children only. A sliding middle row is sorely missed
• Ordinary interior quality. Still has a lot of scope for improvement
• Niggles & issues, as reported by existing XUV500 owners
• Mahindra's inconsistent sales & service experiences

Review Link

Tata Hexa

What you'll like:

• Smart styling & substantial presence. Solid build & paint quality too
• Spacious, high quality and comfortable interiors. Even 3rd row is rather useable
• 6-speed AT is smooth & competent. Perfectly mated to the 2.2L diesel
• Excellent ride quality. Comfortable over any kind of road
• Features such as selectable driving modes, auto headlamps & wipers, ORVM demister...
• Awesome 10-speaker JBL audio system. Sound quality is fantastic!
• Topnotch safety kit includes 6 airbags, ESP, TC, ABS, EBD, hill hold / descent control etc.
• AWD with electronic wizardry & 200 mm of ground clearance

What you won't:

• Automatic variant unavailable with AWD, ESP & super drive modes
• Missing essentials (steering reach adjustment, smartkey entry & go, auto-dimming IRVM...)
• Access to the 3rd row is flawed in the captain seat (6-seater) version
• Heavy steering (low speeds), long travel MT shifter, big size & wide turning radius are annoying in the city
• Fat 2,280 kg kerb weight blunts performance & efficiency. Competition is 400 kilos lighter!
• Concerns over niggling issues & long-term reliability
• Tata's after-sales service remains a hit or miss

Review Link

Volkswagen Tiguan
Name:  01.png
Views: 36899
Size:  600.0 KB
Official Review is currently WIP

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2017 at 15:25. Reason: Spacing
Omkar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 12:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Compass vs the others

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 13:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

My choice -it would have to be the Compass - in the Automatic trim - if I were in the market at that price point.
For me it blends, size, looks, safety and features very well.

Last edited by wilful : 4th September 2017 at 13:15.
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 14:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

My vote goes to the Jeep Compass without doubt. I would like it to have a 4x4 AT though but I'm assuming that's just a matter of time and imminent. All these vehicles have their cons (including the Jeep) but for my requirements, the Compass' cons are the most acceptable and not deal breakers.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 14:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

For me it's an easy choice. If I need 5 seats, I'll buy the Creta AT and if I need 7 seats, I'll buy the XUV AT.

That said, if it weren't for any pressing needs from a car (usually does not happen in my case), I'd consider the Jeep.
Eddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 14:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

My heart is with Compass while head is with Hexa XTA.

Compass gains in appeal, FTD factor (from the reviews, I have not personally TDed yet), solid build quality and the familiar FIAT service, while it loses out on Diesel+Auto and space to carry luggage.

Hexa gains in the super AT box, Tata service, loads of space to put luggage (My usage pattern needs only 5 seats, so the last row will be folded down almost always), good music system and brilliant ride quality, while it loses out to Compass on the desirability factor associated with JEEP, looks, the sweet 2.0L engine and most importantly, the additional safety goodies.

I took my missus to TD the Hexa and VCross and she voted for Hexa, but I am sure her vote will shift once we TD the Compass and may trump her current favorite, the Linea 125.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 4th September 2017 at 14:15.
theexperthand is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 18:01   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Definitely the Compass for me. Superb build, excellent engine, sorted suspension, drop-dead gorgeous styling & reasonably talented AWD. From all the cars in the poll, it's also the most fun-to-drive. That is very important to me.

If I needed the extra space / 7 seats, I'd get the XUV500 or Hexa ATs. The ATs of both these UVs are better than their MT siblings. I'm not one to buy cars on backseat space though - both my personal cars suck in this area (one car doesn't have any legroom, the other doesn't have a rear seat!!). From my garage, it's only the beater Sunny that has appreciable legroom at the back.

As all-rounded as the Creta is, it somehow never appealed to me. The Tucson is fantastic, but there's no way I'd buy it over the Compass. The Tiguan is also competent, although at that price, you'd need the hand of God to keep me away from an Endeavour 3.2!

Last edited by GTO : 4th September 2017 at 18:06.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 18:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not a SUV guy at all so I'll have to do the choice simply on the basis of styling, brand appeal & value :

Tucson > Jeep > Yeti > XUV > Hexa > Creta (I added Yeti in the mix as I have experience driving it)

While in reality I may prefer the compact, easy to drive yet economical (owing to smallest engine) Creta, it really doesn't fulfill what an SUV is about, rather its a crossover for those urban runners with a family of 5.

But, nothing like a lower-slung proper car for me all day long.

BTW which of these are ladder frame? I'd assume XUV and Hexa? The rest are monocoque? When it comes to SUV's and crossovers, its better if the type of body structure is declared when comparing so that their capabilities are properly known. Monocoques handle well, ladder-frames off-road much better.

Last edited by dark.knight : 4th September 2017 at 18:17.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 18:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
BTW which of these are ladder frame? I'd assume XUV and Hexa? The rest are monocoque I assume. When it comes to SUV's and crossovers, its better if the type of body structure is declared when comparing so that their capabilities are properly known. Monocoques handle well, ladder-frames off-road much better.
The XUV is a monocoque, hence it handles better than most of the SUVs.

I understand this comapro is for SUVs, but, at this price point, my choice would be the Octavia

Last edited by arvind71181 : 4th September 2017 at 18:19.
arvind71181 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 18:20   #10
BHPian

Provided usage is city predominantly, Creta is a good enough 5-seater. Hexa and XUV 500 for the same reason if it's a 7-seater.

Others are all expensive for what they provide on top of Creta and Hexa IMO.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 4th September 2017 at 18:21.
Yieldway17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 18:46   #11
Team-BHP Support

Very tough poll, with only one choice that's easy to eliminate IMO - the Tucson. It's sandwiched neither here nor there between two better products - Compass and Tiguan. The others can be classified two ways - The mini SUV segment and the big boys. Votes will fluctuate based on this requirement of space!

Assuming space is the primary requirement, it's a tough fight between the Hexa and XUV 5OO. Hexa sure wins polls, but the XUV will win sales. If there's a gun to my head to choose between either of these two vehicles - I'd half heartedly choose the Hexa for its build quality, though it's just too much of people mover real estate for my needs. Also, I'd rather wait for the next generation JLR based SUV if it's a TATA.

Tougher choice still, between Tiguan and Compass. Tiguan sure looks like a quality product, and sure has an appeal with that massive panoramic sunroof and understated looks - but it's a bit too understated bordering on boring when it comes to some colours. The biggest issue though-surely is the price. Which leaves the Compass as my personal choice - the one I'd like to spend my money on!

Edit -

Can't believe I forgot Creta above. Oh well - it never connected well with the heart anyways!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th September 2017 at 18:52.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 18:51   #12
BHPian

My choice is Tucson if it is an AT and Compass amongst MT.

More than a car's styling and space, I prioritize safety, reliability and refinement. Being new gen global spec products, I think both Tucson and Compass are safe options. While Tiguan is also equally good, it is kind of pricey and might be expensive to own as well.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 21:04   #13
BHPian

It's actually an easy choice.

On pure engineering point of view no other car in this list stand a chance against the Jeep Compass, except maybe the Tiguan, but then it is way too overpriced and looks tasteless, like a grown up Polo.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 22:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

The Compass has got great styling and extremely good exterior build quality ( better than the VWs ), BUT the interior design ( I personally don't like it ), iffy FCA history ( The flagship Grand Cherokee did not pass the moose test even with ESP and traction control until just a few years back ), after sales service doubts and most importantly the narrow cabin all means that while it did really have me excited, when I checked it out in the flesh, I knew for sure that I was no longer interested. What a shame.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 23:16   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The Compass has got great styling and extremely good exterior build quality ( better than the VWs ), BUT the interior design ( I personally don't like it ), iffy FCA history ( The flagship Grand Cherokee did not pass the moose test even with ESP and traction control until just a few years back ), after sales service doubts and most importantly the narrow cabin all means that while it did really have me excited, when I checked it out in the flesh, I knew for sure that I was no longer interested. What a shame.
I completely agree. I also feel that Compass is living on the initial hype, no wonder its a looker but I have been driving a Fiat vehicle for 6 years now the gearshifts for manual are not good for city and turning radius is equally bad. Will wait for ownership reports on how the service fairs, in the U.S. FCA has the lowest reliability and service score.
Mindgrinder is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed