Team-BHP - Volkswagen Tiguan vs the others
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Volkswagen Tiguan vs the others (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/190760-volkswagen-tiguan-vs-others-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj_koova (Post 4457448)
Since you had a polo, you know the VW ASS well.

Yeah, apart from ASS my polo is doing exceptionally well. I heard that 2018 versions have a new infotainment system. Is there any other updates other than that? How about the maintenance costs?

I voted "Other", the Skoda Kodiaq.

Its a great car (and I use the word "car" instead of SUV because it drives better than the Body-on-frame SUVs such as the Endeavour and the Fortuner), and its loaded to the gills with features. Its a premium offering, and it feels that way. Ingress and egress are not hampered, even to the elderly, and it appears to possess the same off-roading abilities as the Tiguan and the Tucson. I wouldn't pit the Compass against the aforesaid cars; even if I were to, the Kodiaq would fare better, IMO.

I do, however, wish the Kodiaq offered more power for the price it commands. For a car that costs upwards of ₹40L on road, a 145BHP output is unscrupulously chucklesome. That said, it would make a great highway cruiser, and a perfectly maneuverable daily-driver over the pot-holes that make up city roads these days. The Tucson simply doesn't feel premium. The BMW is fine, but take away the badge and what do you get? An above average car with just about adequate space for 4 (don't get me wrong - the Skoda's third row seats are a joke, but they can ferry children around comfortably in the city). You can be driven around in the Kodiaq, but I can't say the same about the Fortuner and the Endeavour, because it is not a comfortable ride in these cars for the second row passengers. The Tiguan just doesn't cut it for me. Its interiors are just about okay for me, and it doesn't look that great. There is difference between looking understated and lacking character, but the Kodiaq looks good without going superficial. The Tiguan doesn't even try to be anything, in IMO.

So yeah, I'd take the Kodiaq over its VW sibling.

Voted for the Ford endeavour (3.2 4x4 AT Titanium) simply because I have it and find it better than the others, keeping in mind all the positives and negatives.

2nd choice is the Toyota Fortuner for its positives, resale value and reliability + service of Toyota.

Among all, I find the Endeavour more value for money as it contains many features, good off-road capabilities and feels more premium.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nidhinsarath (Post 4457453)
Yeah, apart from ASS my polo is doing exceptionally well. I heard that 2018 versions have a new infotainment system. Is there any other updates other than that? How about the maintenance costs?

Just picked up a new tiguan HL today. Got a net net discount of ₹3.4L (3L cash discount + 40k loyalty as I didn't have udhyog Aadhar registration for my company which would have added further 60k and also missed out on exchange bonus of 60k as I'm selling my car outside).
2018 only gets a full touch infotainment system but everything else remains fine.

Regarding service and maintenance - I've spoken with ex-VW sales and service people who had the same concerns, so picked up the 3 year extended warranty package too (5 years total) for ₹94k approx.

Infact post discounts the tiguan seemed surprisingly decent VFM compared to tucson (31L for AWD variant which is equivalent to comfortline tiguan pricing and features), kodiaq (42L but better sound system, more spacious 2nd row and 3rd row, better ride quality but not as easy to pilot in city and felt more underpowered), and X1 (42L for X-Line which felt a size smaller and tougher ingress and egress though the best to drive).

Given how much your car has run, it could take time to find a buyer so selling it to VW could save some hassles.
At the same time approach an couple of brokers to get alternate quotes. VW gave me the lowest quote for my Etios compared to brokers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 4457752)
Just picked up a new tiguan HL today. Got a net net discount of ₹3.4L (3L cash discount + 40k loyalty as I didn't have udhyog Aadhar registration for my company which would have added further 60k and also missed out on exchange bonus of 60k as I'm selling my car outside).
2018 only gets a full touch infotainment system but everything else remains fine.

Great deal I think! What was your final on road price? Also, did you get insurance from outside or from the dealer? I am considering the Tiguan strongly as our next car, but I hope that the discounts only increase post the launch of the CRV. Wishing you a great time with your new prized possession!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdiSolEn (Post 4470688)
Great deal I think! What was your final on road price? Also, did you get insurance from outside or from the dealer? I am considering the Tiguan strongly as our next car, but I hope that the discounts only increase post the launch of the CRV. Wishing you a great time with your new prized possession!

Sorry for the late reply buddy!

Finally got the car for 35.30 on road Mumbai Corporate, which is a fair deal. Insurance was taken from outside at around 70,000/-

Hi,

We are planning to buy another in the next 6 months or so. Budget is about 30L (flexible) and this car will primarily be driven by my FIL who currently self drives Jetta.

Currently we have a Jetta HL TDI (2016), Jazz CVT (2016) and i10 auto. i10 to be waved good bye, jazz to take the place of i10 and Jetta will take the place of Jazz. Except i10, the other two cars are self driven.

Jetta's current usage - daily driven and the only car that does outstation trips with family.

Requirements:
  1. Should be an automatic
  2. Sunroof/Panoramic roof
  3. Diesel preferably - the car will run for about 20-25k kms a year
  4. Minimum 6 airbags
  5. Good A.S.S - We have a good reputation with VW in Chennai so we are ok with it

The problem is we don't have much options to be a actual replacement for Jetta (though it's not being sold).
  1. Passat out of question for this year and dealers say it'll be back next year.
  2. Love the Tiguan but doesn't look like an SUV - but I personally love the way it drives.
  3. Endeavor is too big and pricey, Fortuner rejected for back seat comfort, Alturus we are a bit skeptical as it's handled by Mahindra

The only other option with AWD is Tucson and Compass Trailhawk. Technically, we don't need a SUV/Crossover so when we look for sedans, we don't have an option either. Again skeptical to go to Skoda after all the horror stories to even look at Superb.

I'm leaning towards Tiguan HL as of now. Any other cars we should look at? Open to options on lower budget too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astonite (Post 4642266)
The problem is we don't have much options to be a actual replacement for Jetta (though it's not being sold).

As a fellow Jetta owner who has been in the same boat for a while, I can commiserate - there isn't really a great replacement/upgrade option that ticks all the boxes and justifies the bump up from the Jetta.

Among sedans, the Octavia or Superb would be the worth considering, assuming that you can establish a decent rapport with Skoda service in Chennai and get extended warranties/service packs to give yourself additional peace of mind. I had a Laura DSG earlier and service experience in Bangalore was decent, if not great.

The above view is echoed by others too. See here

I've resolved to now wait for the BS 6 roll out and hope/pray in the meantime for hybrid options that don't skimp on performance. Good luck with your search!

Go for the Tiguan if you feel it suits your requirements BUT I would caution against going for a diesel. Please watch the first episode of a show on Netflix called "Dirty Money" it covers the dieselgate scandal and reveals that nearly every single manufacturer makes diesel engines that pollute between 3x to 6x more than regulations allow apparently making diesel engines clean and still affordable enough was never really possible. German manufacturers still do this because of a clause in the German governance that states that modifications can be made to ensure engine life and these modifications mean cheat devices that recognize test parameters and alter the engines performance to ensure that emissions are in check for the brief period of the test. When in reality, diesel engines have not really progressed in terms of emissions for over a decade :Frustrati

The Alturas is actually quite good and Mahindra's service is ubiquitous, you'll find it even in small towns across India. There seem to be several satisfied customers on TBHP, so give it a try.

Octy / Superb are good buys indeed, but Gurudev Motors the Skoda dealer in Chennai has an interesting reputation. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ev-motors.html

Thank you all. This weekend we will be test driving the Tucson. And maybe Alturas too. Keeping Tiguan last for the family test drive (wife and myself have tried it already).
Kodiaq feels expensive with that unusable 3rd row though we might never use it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astonite (Post 4642266)
Hi,
We are planning to buy another in the next 6 months or so. Budget is about 30L (flexible) and this car will primarily be driven by my FIL who currently self drives Jetta.

Its quite difficult to upgrade from a Jetta indeed! My company lease got over and I just quite couldn't get one that hits neither my head nor heart!

If I was in the market, would look at the Endy 2.2 Titanium+ its got all the bells and whistles and grunt in the city and enuf on highways... but if you good with sedans, here is an interesting choice - why not the sweet looking Superb Sportline TSI DSG (at 30L OTR)? Its now got good discounts on offer and haven't lately heard issues with the DSG after they started replacing the synthetic oil to mineral.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirWind (Post 4646149)
Its quite difficult to upgrade from a Jetta indeed! My company lease got over and I just quite couldn't get one that hits neither my head nor heart!

If I was in the market, would look at the Endy 2.2 Titanium+ its got all the bells and whistles and grunt in the city and enuf on highways... but if you good with sedans, here is an interesting choice - why not the sweet looking Superb Sportline TSI DSG (at 30L OTR)? Its now got good discounts on offer and haven't lately heard issues with the DSG after they started replacing the synthetic oil to mineral.

Exactly. So here is the problem - I love the Endy and would get even the 3.2 but the problem is with its size. We live in an apartment where the driveways are pretty tight with trees on one side and cars on the other - taking Endy in that path will be scary everyday (having said that, when I had the X5 for a week, I did navigate through these tight places and turns).
Coming to superb - yes sedans are fine, Skoda service is what I'm worried about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astonite (Post 4646168)
Coming to superb - yes sedans are fine, Skoda service is what I'm worried about.

Honestly, Skoda India has better support from VWAG than even VW & Audi.

We owned a Skoda Laura, and presently own an Audi A6 & VW Tiguan.
Audi has made us wait weeks for an appointment and Audi India hasn't been very proactive with customer complaints (we had an issue with rear child lock, and sunblind motor just a few weeks after EW expired).

VW - we had an issue with the Tiguan brakes, where the rear brake pads had chipped in a year and 6Kkm.
Wrote the VW India as the dealer was saying it's a wear and tear part so cannot be covered under warranty. Fair enough, except it was an issue mentioned by us during the 6 monthly check up as well and with the low running (50% or more was highway runs) it made no sense.
Wrote to VW who then forwarded the complaint back to the dealership - as though that was an option we didn't explore only. lol:
Finally resolved it at dealership level with help from a friend who knew the MD of said dealership.
Note : this dealership also works with other manufacturers as well, and I have received great service from them for those vehicles.

Skoda on the other hand was surprisingly more responsive when I raised an issue with the dealership.

If you've lived with a VW Jetta, the Skoda shouldn't be an issue and the Superb is a brilliant vehicle overall!
Of course, this is subjective to the actual dealers in your city as there maybe teething problems but that is the case with any VWAG / European vehicle.

Alternatives at a higher budget:
1) 320D F30 you will get a great discount.
2) Toyota Camry Hybrid - reliable, comfortable, with superb service.

You will get used to the XXL size fairly soon, also (like the Jetta) it gets both front and rear parking sensors which helps navigate thru tight spots and heck, it can even self park... what more do you want?

Given the state of the never improving roads and traffic, I am leaning to an SUV over a sedan, you glide over pot holes, minions give way to the gargantuan, you hop (not squat) onto the seats and not worry about the unscientific speed breakers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astonite (Post 4646168)
Exactly. So here is the problem - I love the Endy and would get even the 3.2 but the problem is with its size. We live in an apartment where the driveways are pretty tight with trees on one side and cars on the other - taking Endy in that path will be scary everyday (having said that, when I had the X5 for a week, I did navigate through these tight places and turns).