Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2017, 13:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Does it make any sense to buy a used Tata Aria?

My in laws in Coimbatore own an Aria for the last 5 yrs clocking 60K KM's without any troubles despite their abuses, my FIL is a contractor, so he carries pretty much everything in it and its a charm to drive to the farm in it!

+Ve's
spacious, plush ride, will glide over the crater filled roads of BLR, powerful motor, Hexa is still based on the same platform, fairly reliable, abuse friendly (vis-à-vis Innova), massive road presence (will scare the yellow boards away), well built and put-together for a TATA

-Ve's
clutch is very hard (lower variants came with a single mass fly wheel), larger turning radius, TATA service (though improving cannot hold a candle to Maruti), wider gear throws, will give you a 8~10 KMPL in City / 10~12 in H'way
AirWind is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 13:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
I recently sold my 6 year old Ritz and have been on the lookout for a 7 seater. I saw a few deals for the Aria on Olx. One owner quoted 6 lakhs for a 2012 model(Pure) that has clocked around 60k on the odo.

Now that the car has been discontinued, should I pick up a used Aria? Will spares availability be an issue?
Personally, I would say yes if you manage to find a good example at good price.

Recently another BHPian brought a pre worshiped Aria--this post may help you to decide: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4148677

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 20:47   #18
BHPian

I have picked up a Dec'14 Aria 4wd Pride this January.

Base your decision upon facts, investigation and experience. Online you will get lot of tips but at the end of the day you are the one checking out the car and you are the one planning to purchase it.

Hopefully the below should help you
- Single Owner/Multiple - Accident history, insurance validity
- Recency of purchase (2014 had the facelifted version)
- Service History, what has been the last 2-3 service costs like, has the previous owner serviced it regularly, was it always at the same place or multiple places. These things usually give a lot of clues especially if the owner is not willing to share or trying to hide stuff.
- Look and Feel of the car - worn out seats, quality of interiors, AC effectiveness - shows how well or badly was it kept
- Test Drive ( a very long one) - to pick up any mechanical issues that might be there. Do it with the windows open, to listen to sounds. The insulation by the way is mind blowing and should still be.
- Since its a +5yr old car, spend a good amount of time, maybe if you are keen, hire and experienced mechanic or take the car to a known service station for a thorough check-up.

It wasn't selling then, it isn't selling now, if the owner is looking for a resale, usually he would comply with your requests.
But lack of sale does not mean that there is something wrong with the product itself.

I see plenty of Arias here in Pune, quite a few with tour operators and have personally seen mileages of 4 of them (over 2lacs) and still running strong.

At the end of the day, if you are satisfied with the vehicle - go for it. The price will be mouth watering and a good Aria specimen is an awesome vehicle to live with.

Cheers and happy shopping.
Trojan
Trojan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 22:36   #19
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Prefer only refreshed ARIA. i.e; from 2014 march onwards.
Clutch is super light.
I have one Pure LX. clocked 54K as of now. No major issues. Never breakdown anywhere
Had 25 day trip to Leh from Bangalore without any issues.
Spares are cheaper and easily available. Hexa and ARIA interior exactly same except for dashboard. Basic mechanical parts are also same
rkg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 14:43   #20
BHPian

Thank you BHP-ians for your valuable suggestions. Really appreciate the inputs.

Is there a website where I can check the service history of a used Tata Car? I found a link to one from the older posts http://www.tatamotorsassured.com/ind...l&view=tmasell

But this resource seems to be inactive.

I found a 2016 Aria for sale(21K kms) for 8 lakhs. I wanted to check if the odo reading has not been tampered with.
Old 17th October 2017, 09:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Stay away from a discontinued, unsuccessful car. If you want 7 seaters, check out Mobilio. They are going at pretty good prices in the market, though, finding one may not be easy. You can also look for petrol versions as your running is roughly 1000 km/month
I'm sorry, but isn't the Mobilio, pretty much, a discontinued, unsuccessful car as well?
da_lowrider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 09:38   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
I found a 2016 Aria for sale(21K kms) for 8 lakhs. I wanted to check if the odo reading has not been tampered with.
Ask TASS for service history. For a small fee, you could get full details too
Old 17th October 2017, 09:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
I'm sorry, but isn't the Mobilio, pretty much, a discontinued, unsuccessful car as well?
Yes, Mobilio is a discontinued, unsuccessful car with a lot of part sharing with a lot of its siblings, and one that has reincarnated as BR-V, has an engine and a gearbox that also powers one of the most popular sedans in the country, and is from a manufacturer that is still able to support 12-13 year old models quite well.

Tata service has sketchy for their selling models, I have no confidence in their service and parts availability of their failed models.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 09:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Yes, Mobilio is a discontinued, unsuccessful car with a lot of part sharing with a lot of its siblings, and one that has reincarnated as BR-V, has an engine and a gearbox that also powers one of the most popular sedans in the country, and is from a manufacturer that is still able to support 12-13 year old models quite well.

Tata service has sketchy for their selling models, I have no confidence in their service and parts availability of their failed models.
Similarly, Aria is a discontinued, unsuccessful car with a lot of part sharing with a lot of its siblings, and one that has reincarnated as Hexa, has an engine and a gearbox that has been around in various models for a decade now and is from a manufacturer that has never shown issues with regards to availability of spares of any sorts (based on personal experience & the long term reviews of other users).

Yep, that's your opinion & it's completely fine, can't comment on that.
da_lowrider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2018, 13:46   #25
BHPian

I have been running the Pure LX (refreshed model) for close to 4 years now. I traded my Innova for this one. It has 40k on the ODO and i just got back from a 1200km trip in Tamilnadu. Most of my comments below are in comparison with my earlier Innova. Not to mistake, i owned the Innova for 7 years and had a trouble free ownership all along. I was in tears when i gave it away.

The Aria has never let me down and as someone has already mentioned above, it has one of the finest suspension setup. The AC can get bone chilling and is very effective even in peak summers in Tamilnadu. I have VCool films (widnscreen grade all over) and that aids in retaining the chillness and cuts off some of the additional heat from outside

I get about 11-12kmpl in the city (Bangalore) and usually get close to 16kmpl on the highways. I am not not known to floor the pedal and i usually do speeds between 90-110. I have seen much higher milages on the highways (18+) but that is when the AC is off and speeds hovering around 70-90kmpls (Hard to achieve these numbers on a sustained basis). I also have a racedynamics kit which i suspect is aiding the additional milage and smoothness.

Compared to the Innova, the seats are lot better in terms of stiffness and the overall support to the backs and underthighs. The engine is lot more refined and responsive compared to the Innova. Aria also has a service interval of 15k kms. The clutch on the refreshed model is super light and is also self adjusting as it wears and tears

I have had absolutely no issues in terms of reliability, service and availability of parts. The service advisers have been extremely cordial and i seem to get preferential treatments in KHT and Prerana motors (@Bangalore). Overall i have done several long highway runs and have had absolutely no issues so-far.

Regarding re-selling, it is inconsequential to me. I buy a car for retaining it, ofcourse i did my bit of research regarding the service and spares. Re-sale value is very subjective. You buy a car for 20l and sell it for 7-8-lacs seems similar to buying a car for 12L and selling it for 3L. I save 8 lacs upfront (This is purely my opinion).

In summary - if you get a good deal on the refreshed model, go ahead for it.
Shiwik is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 15:21   #26
BHPian

Hi just want to share my bit, I bought a Tata Aria Dec 2011 manufactured and 2012 registered. Its a 4x2 Pure Variant, I bought it at ~ 85K KM and now it is around 93K KM.
The clutch was hard and was never changed in its life and hence I got it changed from dual mass flywheel to single mass flywheel, post that the clutch became very soft and hence easy to drive. Entire cost was around 24 K Rs (part of which was borne by the seller).
Secondly the power steering pump failed, entire oil got drained, I could have tried to repaired it but chose to get a new one, shortly thereafter the new pump also malfunctioned but Tata Motors changed it free of cost, it costed around 12K.

Rest the service costs are okay. Service interval is also large i.e 15K KM.
The Aria has loads of space and is easy to drive. I bought the car because a known person was selling it, so you may call it quite impulsive.
I drive mostly in city and the FE is 11.3 KMPL. Did not get a chance to drive it for a long trip.
If you ask me honestly sometimes I regret buying this big car because of parking issues, sometimes I am happy because I don't have to worry about pothholes etc and Aria also drives pretty well and have a powerful engine.
StallionAmit is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 08:00   #27
BHPian

Going through all the above posts has motivated me to go for an Aria. I have a low budget and looking for a reliable car. I am getting a 2011 Pleasure model for around 4 lakhs with 67k on the odometer , single owner car. Is it a good deal, shall I go for the same. I have owned Tata cars in the past and have been very happy with their safety and reliability.

Last edited by Dushie : 10th February 2019 at 08:01.
Dushie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 22:41   #28
BHPian

More inspiration in the link below.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/tata-aria-mod...exa-video/amp/
prram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2019, 23:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, does buying a used 2012 Aria Pure 4x2 make sense in today's time and age, considering that parts are shared with Hexa and Storme, and Hexa is going to continue post BS6 implementation also? I am getting a single person used, 60K kilometers run vehicle for less than 4 lakhs. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I have no problems with my nearby Tata Motors Service Center. Have asked them for their suggestion also in this regard, as they will responsible for it's service and spares.

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 27th July 2019 at 23:45.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 00:57   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Hi all, does buying a used 2012 Aria Pure 4x2 make sense in today's time and age, considering that parts are shared with Hexa and Storme, and Hexa is going to continue post BS6 implementation also? I am getting a single person used, 60K kilometers run vehicle for less than 4 lakhs. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I have no problems with my nearby Tata Motors Service Center. Have asked them for their suggestion also in this regard, as they will responsible for it's service and spares.
Everything depends upon spares and service availability. If you are known to dealer, it is big plus.
One of my acquaintance bought it used and traded for Hexa. He was happy albeit partially with reliability.
It makes sense to get it checked from service center on key components which have aged and need replacement in future.
procrastinator is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks