Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2017, 13:37   #1
BHPian

Mahindra NuvoSport - Should I go for it? EDIT: Picked up TUV300

Dear Bhpians,
Have been pondering on this for a while.
I started my car upgrade search couple of months back, with these requirements:
1. Must be a spacious 5 seater and desirable to have atleast 2 more seats,so been looking for 5+2 occupancy
2. Must have ample leg room for middle row.
3. Diesel and atleast 15kmpl practical highway mileage.
4. Basic safety features - dual airbags + ABS (may be EBD too, if available).
5. Atleast 15" wheels with large tyres to absorb pot hole bumps between 60-80kph (had two nasty tyre burst incidents on highway potholes in the past).
6. Large enough boot space (like atleast 300 ltrs).
7. Good driving ergonomics for long drives.
8. High seating position. (bonnet to be visible)
9. Must have decent city drive-ability.(highways I cruise between 80-100kph)
10. Around 10 lakh OTR

So, with those in mind, I initially considered these:
ECOSPORT - rejected as it is not spacious enough to be atleast a comfortable 5 seater, else it ticks most other boxes. I mean the rear bench can accommodate 3 adults but not comfortably for long drives.

BREZZA - rejected outright after experiencing the squeaking build quality

NEXON - rejected on the same lines as ECOSPORT.

ERTIGA - the base variants come in my budget but the middle bench is cramped for 3 adults and I didn't like the city drive-ability. So, passed it on.

XUV 500 - out of budget but otherwise if I could stretch I would have bought it.

HEXA - didn't like the bulk besides being out of budget

DUSTER - out of budget

LODGY - middle row cramped

HONDA BR-V - I have a feeling honda's are expensive to maintain, so didn't even look at it.

SAFARI - over shooting the budget

NUVOSPORT - better equipped and comfortable than TUV but the abysmal sales figures and not so good looking design put me off.

TUV 300 - spacious 5 seater (with 2 jump seats), robust build, decent mileage, basic safety features , good drive ability, comes in my budget.

Almost zeroed in on TUV 300, took estimation and applied for loan - everything done. Then in the last minute after one more round of TD, I felt this - TUV 300 middle row legroom is a compromise when a talldriver is piloting. I know somemay disagree but its true, TUV 300 middle row legroom is better than Scorpio but not even on par with BREZZA or ECOSPORT. Besides, the middle row bench is very basic in comfort. It doesn't fold down completely for bootspace flexibility. After a detailed analysis, I resigned myself that TUV is my best compromise.

But then, during a recent long highway drive, I realised the value of cruise control. Now, it is one of the must have requirements. There may be options of aftermarket cruise control fitment, but am not too keen on altering mechanicals or electricals of a new car.

So, then came the Nuvosport N8 (MT or AMT) into discussion. It offers cruisecontrol, much more comfortable middle row (folds and even reclines), DRLs (although tad ugly) and with many other small benefits over TUV. I am ok with the looks, I care more about the cockpit than outward appearance.

But, considering it is such a low selling (around 30 units per month), is it really sane to go for it? Common people may term it as a failed model, but personally, I see it as much better proposition over TUV, except the body design. I am more concerned with availability of spares over a 7 or 8 year period.

I am willing to stretch my budget upto 13 lakh OTR, if I can find a better proposition considering my requirements (including cruise control). Any suggestions and advice is most welcome.
Old 8th December 2017, 14:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra NuvoSport - Should I go for it? EDIT: Picked up TUV300

As long as you're fine with a manual, why don't you go in for the S-Cross? It may not have 3 rows of seating but it is fairly spacious as a 5 seater with enough room, has a practically laid out cabin and boot, is built extremely well, rides very maturely, handles predictably and well, is stable, and it comes with cruise control. What more do you want?

As someone who has owned several rare vehicles, in my experience getting parts has never been a hassle whatsoever, BUT that is because all the rare vehicles I have owned are all CBU imports. Buying a locally made product that was never sold in the rest of the world yet hasn't sold well in our country, might make getting parts extremely difficult a few years down the line.
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 14:13   #3
BHPian

Considering that Nuvosport is a chopped off Xylo, parts availability should not be a concern, in my opinion. there is utter confusion in the 10L - whereabouts budget today. Every vehicle has a few plus points and a few negative ones, so one has to make compromise somewhere. Ecosport somehow ticks the maximum boxes but loses out on one of the most important factors - rear seat width.

My take is - if you liked nuvosport, go for it, if 3rd row seat is a must-have criteria. Or else, S-cross might be a good option. Even a B-RV, if it fits in your budget. Looks decent, honda space management inside the cabin is the best, quality is OK and servicing costs should not be way too extreme (again, considering a lot of parts sharing between Brio, amaze, mobilio and BRV).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 14:18   #4
BHPian

Thanks to you both. I don't know how I missed S-cross. Will check it out today.
Old 8th December 2017, 15:00   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post

I am willing to stretch my budget upto 13 lakh OTR, if I can find a better proposition considering my requirements (including cruise control). Any suggestions and advice is most welcome.
I had the same dilemma almost a year back. I noted all the pros and cons of different vehicles I test drove. But finally, it was Team-BHP which helped me make a decision. Do read my story here.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 16:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Bhpians,
Have been pondering on this for a while.
I started my car upgrade search couple of months back, with these requirements:
1. Must be a spacious 5 seater and desirable to have atleast 2 more seats,so been looking for 5+2 occupancy
2. Must have ample leg room for middle row.
3. Diesel and atleast 15kmpl practical highway mileage.
4. Basic safety features - dual airbags + ABS (may be EBD too, if available).
5. Atleast 15" wheels with large tyres to absorb pot hole bumps between 60-80kph (had two nasty tyre burst incidents on highway potholes in the past).
6. Large enough boot space (like atleast 300 ltrs).
7. Good driving ergonomics for long drives.
8. High seating position. (bonnet to be visible)
9. Must have decent city drive-ability.(highways I cruise between 80-100kph)
10. Around 10 lakh OTR
Hello, I would advise against Nuvosport. It may meet all your criteria, but I feel its not a well designed product. It is essentially a chopped Xylo which has been in existence for a decade now and as far as I remember was always been criticized for its ride and handling.

Also your criterias may just be met by a sedan. The only two point missing would be: 1) no 5+2 seating and 2) high seating position (but bonnet would be visible). In which case you may look at Ciaz.

Since you are willing to stretch till 13 lacs OTR, I would recommend evaluating Hexaagain. With the year end discounts, Tata Hexa XE should fall in your extended budget.

Last edited by rrsteer : 8th December 2017 at 16:05.
rrsteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 16:39   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I would advise against the Nuvosport.

Feel that in the real world the Nexon would be more comfortable. I have tried the rear bench of the EcoSport that I own and the Nexon and found the Nexon to be bigger in the rear.

Further the S-Cross entry variants too can be considered.

NuvoSport is nowhere as well engineered as the competition, further it is a ladder frame construction and will not be as stable. It will have a rocking motion that will nullify the space gains. It will also have poor resale value.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 20:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Like the experts have already advised, very little to add anything significant to this thread apart from mentioning the low quality of plastics used for interior - you will regret later if you’re a person who spends more time sitting inside the car traveling. Because I see you’ve given up on Brezza for the squeaking plastics. I believe the Nuvosport will suffer the same after few thousand kms.

I remember reading your budget is 13L - why not try the new Scross? It’s premium and spacious for a crossover with a relief of a good customer service support of Maruti! It’s feature loaded and you won’t be disappointed with it.
gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 20:50   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

@deetee, one input from my side - if you are looking for a 5 seater, which is comfortable for all on long drives, then most will cancelled. The rear middle seat in any car that has split rear seat is not very comfortable. Hence if comfort of the 5th passenger is important ( on par with the 3rd & 4th) then suggest you re-evaluate the cars.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 21:53   #10
BHPian

Your criteria are way too broad. I think you should put your needs and weightages in a plain sheet of paper and evaluate what best suits you.

If you're looking for good rear seat comfort, legroom, large boot and highway stability then it takes you to Sedans. In this case, you should probably check out the new Verna.

But you also prefer a higher seating position. A higher stance would mean more body roll or stiffer suspension and this will compromise your other criteria "rear seat comfort".

7 seater criteria: even proper SUVs and MUVs have poor comfort at the third row. The additional two seats of these pseudo SUVs are a pain for passengers.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 8th December 2017 at 21:56.
Thermodynamics is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 00:30   #11
BHPian

Nuvosport!! Shoud I go for it?

Dear Deetee I wouldn't suggest Nuvosport. It's ride and handling isn't great and on highways you will feel the fatigue. You can also check out the Honda Jazz and the S cross. If you have zeroed on to SUV/MUV and are willing to stretch your budget a bit then give a thought to Safari Storme as well. You can get a great discount at this time of the year. Negotiate hard with the dealer and you may bring the price down to your desired budget and it fits into most of your criteria as well.

Last edited by rajamuneeb : 9th December 2017 at 00:32.
rajamuneeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 00:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
HONDA BR-V - I have a feeling honda's are expensive to maintain, so didn't even look at it.
They are not. I have owned 3 Honda's in my family and expensive to maintain has never been a thought that has gone to my mind. I suggest you check it out thoroughly.

Quote:
As suggested to you, check out S-Cross. You can definitely get features like cruise control for around 11 lakhs on road. You would miss 7 seater though.

Amongs 7 seaters, you could have a look at new Scorpio. The S7 variant is quite well kitted and should serve most of your needs, but you would have to stretch to 13 lakhs or thereabouts.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 00:47   #13
Team-BHP Support

TUV is a better buy than Nuvosport. But if the budget is up to 13 lacs then I feel Hexa is the best fit : ample space, extraordinary ride quality and should be pretty safe. Not sure about after sales service.
BlackPearl is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 01:03   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

For a moment i got confused that which product is NUVOSPORT, but then i remembered its the new but renamed Quanto

Instead buy the new facelifted Scorpio as it starts from around 9.97L ex-showroom as you are willing to stretch your budget to 13L OTR
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 08:15   #15
BHPian

Thank you all for the valuable inputs. I checked out S-Cross and WR-V . Both are compelling options had it not been for the missing third row.
Family is keen on having two additional seats option even if it is for occasional occupancy only. So considering the options with 5+2 as high preference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks