Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which petrol AT would you choose?
Jeep Compass 86 34.54%
Hyundai Tucson 65 26.10%
Hyundai Creta 45 18.07%
Mahindra XUV500 15 6.02%
Toyota Innova Crysta 22 8.84%
Other (please specify in your post) 16 6.43%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2017, 12:33   #16
BHPian

Re: The Petrol AT Battle: Jeep Compass vs others

While I have driven only Creta and Compass Petrol AT cars in this list, my vote would go for Tucson purely because it is a practical and safe vehicle with car like dynamics. Others are either too bulky (Innova/XUV) or isn't loaded with all the safety features (Compass/Creta).

From my Tucson diesel ownership experience, it seems to be a well built no nonsense car that is easy to drive in the city (tight turning radius and lag free engine response) and highway as well (lots of reserve power, safety, good suspension and reasonable driving dynamics). On top of this, I am sure it would offer a better peace of mind during a long term ownership period (~10 years) compared to Jeep.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 22nd December 2017 at 12:36.
Old 22nd December 2017, 13:54   #17
BHPian

Voted for Creta, as compared to others I find it VFM propostion , comes in petrol and diesel and has been best seller for years.
Old 22nd December 2017, 14:29   #18
BHPian

Would vote for Creta AT and save money. It's a super smooth ride and luxurious enough (if slightly overpriced) in the segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
Amongst these I would pick the Tucson.It is super smooth although fuel efficiency will be in single digit.

If I could stretch,I would go for the Tucson Diesel AT.The engine with 190bhp and 400 nm is very powerful.

I have heard Creta brakes are not upto the mark.If thats the case,why does it sell in huge numbers?I thought braking is a very critical area
OT: Tucson brakes are equally uninspiring - don't have progressive action. But on the diesel engine performance, it's a champ & beats others easily. AT gearbox could have been much better (DSG takes the cake here, even City CVT is better/smoother)
Old 22nd December 2017, 15:06   #19
BANNED

Since I have no need for a 7 seater, my money would be on Creta, inspite of my hate for hyundai. For the simple fact that other than the Driving dynamics, and some performance there is no way to justify the extra 6 lacs that the Compass AT costs. Not even a full complement of 6 airbags. The Creta is overpriced, yes. But the Jeep is barely any larger and its price is somehow more comparable to the Tucson.

The MT petrol compass looks more exciting to me.
Old 22nd December 2017, 15:29   #20

Even though I've voted for the Compass, I wouldn't buy it. It's an excellent car as per me, very well packaged too. However, I think it's a tad bit overpriced. I love the gearbox, I like the engine and the interiors.

I really wish other manufacturers (are you listening Hyundai?) start using dual clutch transmissions. It's one thing to not have them in cheaper cars, but to cheap out in terms of the gearbox for Indian version of premium priced cars, is just downright debauchery.
Old 22nd December 2017, 16:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Compass and Tucson are going neck to neck! Very interesting comments by members here.

Personally though, I will choose the Innova for it's captain seats, superior comfort and getting more car for the same price. Though the Compass is an amazing vehicle, when seeing the competitors and their prices, I wonder if the Compass could have been priced slightly lesser. Or perhaps FCA introducing the mid variants for the AT and top variants for the MT?
Old 22nd December 2017, 16:20   #22
BHPian

For a second I thought of voting for Hyundai but quickly that idea was shelved as there is no way I am voting for Maruti or Hyundai ever. Not until they improve their quality parameters.

Voted for only good quality products here Compass!
Old 22nd December 2017, 17:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Drove the Compass AT recently. Just does not have the same appeal of the diesel.

Voted for the Tucson. Though underpowered compared to the diesel Tucson, it just has more space, more features and just feels a lot better to drive, maybe the gearbox.

I would prefer the diesel Compass over the Tucson diesel any day.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 21:17   #24
BHPian

Voted for "OTHER".

IMO, the Petrol and AT don't go hand in hand for me save for the DSGs. Be it in terms of maintainance and fuel costs, the Petrol AT isn't a practical choice for me atleast. Plus Petrol ATs depreciate like hell a couple of years down the line.

For me it's the diesel which makes sense and then there are exceptions though (the Octavia 1.8 TSI and vRS) in petrol as well.

Since all the cars in this segment aren't that cheap w.r.t to it's diesel counterparts, I'd rather buy a diesel AT or Stretch a bit and make a purchase which satisfies my heart completely (read as buying a Octavia vRS or 1.8 TSI).

For me it's got to be a full-hearted or full-hearted purchase or maybe even both of them together but the petrol ATs neither satisfy my head nor my heart. The Compass DCT disappointed me big time! A missed opportunity for FCA IMO!
Old 22nd December 2017, 22:25   #25
Team-BHP Support

Petrol AT may have their market requirements. But agree that for the pricing we are looking at, 1.8 TSI + DSG woul be a much more compelling package in terms of driving pleasure.
Old 22nd December 2017, 22:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Personally though, I will choose the Innova for it's captain seats, superior comfort and getting more car for the same price.
I have been driving a petrol Innova since 2005. I would love to upgrade to an auto box.
Alfresco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 23:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

NOTA!!
My choice would be Honda CRV! Ticks everything handsomely although the price is higher but it will stay intact for a decade or two (this matters to me)
Old 23rd December 2017, 07:51   #28
BHPian

It's not in the same price bracket as these cars but given the Jeep Compass AT's poor showing in the official review and given my limited budget anyway, I'm glad I chose the Ford EcoSport automatic instead. It's significantly superior to the Hyundai Creta on most aspects, particularly the drive quality and the fact that it's available in the top-spec trim.

Most Viewed