Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which petrol AT would you choose?
Jeep Compass 86 34.54%
Hyundai Tucson 65 26.10%
Hyundai Creta 45 18.07%
Mahindra XUV500 15 6.02%
Toyota Innova Crysta 22 8.84%
Other (please specify in your post) 16 6.43%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2017, 14:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Petrol AT Battle: Jeep Compass vs others

The Petrol AT Battle: Jeep Compass vs others-petrol-.png

Jeep Compass

What you'll like:

• Handsome Cherokee-inspired styling & loads of character
• Solid build. Feels very robust, just as a Jeep should
• 1.4L turbo-petrol makes 161 BHP! Offers fast performance
• Smooth 7-speed dual-clutch Automatic
• Mature suspension setup, nicely-tuned EPS & rock-solid stability
• City-friendly size & higher seating make the Compass AT incredibly easy to drive
• Structurally safe, all-wheel disc brakes and a whole host of electronic aids (including ESP)
• We think the Compass is well-priced for what it offers

What you won't:

• 1.4L Petrol motor simply isn't as impressive as the all-rounded 2.0L Diesel
• No sport mode, no paddle shifters and no cruise control for this AT
• Petrol AT is unavailable in the lower variants. No AWD or 6 Airbags like the Diesel either
• Complex dual-clutch ATs have usually been troublesome in India
• Small size for the price! Also, narrow cabin is suitable for 4 adults, not 5
• Tiny dealership network. After-sales quality & long-term reliability are unknown factors as well
• Turning radius of 5.65m is more than the Safari Storme's. Further, 17Ί approach angle is too low
• Missing goodies (blanks on the steering, auto-dimming IRVM, auto wipers & headlamps, lumbar adjustment, reclinable rear seats)

Link to Official Review - Jeep Compass Petrol AT (Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review)

Hyundai Tucson

What you'll like:

• Contemporary styling that is universally appealing
• Comfortable ride quality & car-like dynamics
• Cool features such as the hands-free tailgate, LED headlamps, electric parking brake, ECO / Sport driving modes & more
• Top-notch safety kit: 6 airbags, ESC, VSM, all-wheel disc brakes, hill-start assist etc.
• Hyundai's reliability, competent after-sales, 3 year unlimited km warranty & 3 years of free servicing!

What you won't:

• No w-o-w factor on the inside. Interior simply doesn't feel special enough for a Rs. 30 lakh car
• Expensive, especially the top trim. Full-size 7-seater SUVs are priced in the same ballpark
• Some features are conspicuous by their absence (sunroof, auto-wipers, ventilated seats)
• 2.0L petrol motor is strictly average. Doesn't impress like the diesel

Link to Official Review (Hyundai Tucson : Official Review)

Hyundai Creta

What you’ll like:

• Very smooth, incredibly refined & effortless to drive
• 2 lakhs cheaper on-the-road than the Diesel AT! That's quite a difference
• Well packaged interiors have sufficient legroom & headroom
• Balanced suspension offers a comfortable ride & neutral handling
• Hyundai's reliability, competent after-sales & 3 year unlimited km warranty
• AT-only features such as 60:40 splitting rear seats, child seat anchors etc.

What you won’t:

• Unavailable in the top SX(O) variant! Merely one trim level for the Petrol AT
• Single-digit urban fuel economy. Diesel AT is a lot more efficient
• Creta AT needs stronger brakes. Braking ability isn't confidence inspiring
• Several missing features, big & small. Disappointing at this price point
• Rear seat is suitable for 2 adults, not 3 (due to its width)
• Some competitors offer you 3 seat rows for the same money

Link to Official Review - 2016 Creta Petrol Automatic

Mahindra XUV 500

Link to Launch Thread (Scoop! Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Engine pics. EDIT: Launched at Rs 15.49 lakhs)

Toyota Innova

Link to BHPian VKumar's Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT Review (Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT)
blackwasp is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 16:19   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Petrol AT Battle: Jeep Compass vs others

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the What Car Section. Thanks for sharing! My money is on the Tucson here (Creta if budget is restricted).

Sharing my post from the Official Review:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While the Compass diesel is my pick of the segment, it's not the case with the petrol DDCT. I found this engine + gearbox combination to be very 'meh'. In the Compass diesel, that lovely 2.0L brings a lot of driving pleasure; the petrol AT isn't a patch on it. If I was looking at a Petrol AT crossover, I'd spend a little more and get the Tucson, or save big bucks and be happy with the Creta. Somehow, the Compass Petrol AT just didn't pull at the heartstrings as the Diesel did. For all the tech that this DDCT has, it's merely average. I know some torque-converter ATs that are superior.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 16:23   #3
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I'd choose the Tucson over the Compass be it petrol or diesel. The Compass is a great car no doubt, but if budget is no bar, then I'd stretch and get the Tucson. So Tucson it is.
AYP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 16:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

I'll give the Compass petrol AT a miss as well, though the diesel is my choice for the car of the year. I wouldn't choose the Tucson either - its a sinking ship and I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai pulls the plug soon as it did with the Santa Fe.

Creta Petrol AT however is a very competent choice. I'm really really impressed by their recent petrols which I rate as among the best NA petrols out there (Over the likes of the 1.5 iVTec) and the TC gearbox does a decent enough job and should be reliable as well. My vote goes for the Creta 1.6 VTVT AT.

That said- I might not pick a big petrol automatic if i were to buy one at this point. A cheaper Compass petrol manual or a Compass diesel manual makes more sense for my particular usage. Hence this situation of a petrol AT is purely hypothetical.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 16:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

From a petrol AT perspective, none of them seem really appealing. None of them come in AWD variants and apart from the Tuscon, none of them even come in the top variant and hence miss critical things like side/curtain airbags and a lot of other stuff. From this list, I guess Tuscon will be the best compromise choice.

But if I had the Tuscon level budget and wanted a Petrol AT, considering the choices, price and variants of these SUV's, I would rather stick to a sedan and buy the Octavia 1.8TSI or even the vRS.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 16:57   #6
Team-BHP Support

Creta is the obvious choice for me among the options - it's the most VFM.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd December 2017 at 10:27.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 17:42   #7
BHPian

Tucson is the best in this lot. Super silent engine packed with 6 speed torque converter does the job well. BTW waiting for the diesel Compass AT as rumors suggest 9 speed ZF to be plonked there.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 22:00   #8
BHPian

Amongst these I would pick the Tucson.It is super smooth although fuel efficiency will be in single digit.

If I could stretch,I would go for the Tucson Diesel AT.The engine with 190bhp and 400 nm is very powerful.

I have heard Creta brakes are not upto the mark.If thats the case,why does it sell in huge numbers?I thought braking is a very critical area
joy_swift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 08:22   #9
BHPian

Voted for the Creta. I have the petrol auto and for my daily commute it is a godsend. My uncle has the petrol manual but he has a driver so its all good for him. Have driven it as well but would still prefer the auto.
Tried the Tucson but it doesn't feel like a 3 mil vehicle.
Price barrier not withstanding, a Jeep SRT perhaps?
N33raj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 08:28   #10
Team-BHP Support

The Compass misses my vote in the Petrol AT avatar due to some obvious misses. The whole package looks lackluster; as I mentioned in the official review, the diesel had enough oomph to mask/overlook some of the shortcomings of the Compass, but this variant makes it looks like a very ordinary effort.

I would have voted for the Creta petrol AT but unfortunately Hyundai messed up with the feature-list for this variant. So my pick of the lot is the Tucson. It may not feel very special, but it works very well as an easy car to drive and live with. And it’s loaded with all the key safety and comfort features.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

In terms of sheer pleasure & cult brand pull - its Jeep. Hyundai may be offering a better product but somehow Jeep makes the heart miss a beat or two !

Few things are missing, hopefully FCA will address this at the earliest; still on this side of 20 Lac and if Petrol is the only available choice - I will go for Jeep ! Definitely JEEP.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:17   #12
BHPian

All the candidates are 2WD versions. (We still do not know if the XUV will be offerred in AWD!).

In such a case I would prefer the new Ford Ecosport AT. Compact, safe and a hoot to drive.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:19   #13
BHPian

I have gone against the tide and voted for the BRV. Yes it has negatives - van look, poor build, spartan interiors. But having owned one ( V-cvt) as a second car for a more than a year with 16k kms, it's core strengths come to the fore : smooth petrol automatic, fuel efficient, smart space management with 8 seats, high GC ( 210 mm). The narrow width comes in handy driving in narrow city lanes and hills. And with the discounts on offer, it's a good vfm Package to consider.
Old 22nd December 2017, 12:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

I had driven B-RV CVT sometime back and thoroughly enjoyed it. 1.5 petrol complimented CVT very well and paddle shifters were a joy to use. My only concern is about the nonexistence of rear bumper. But overall my perfect auto choice. But saying so the new 1.5 Dragon from Ecosport is also in the radar. Need to test drive it first to reach a conclusion.
Old 22nd December 2017, 12:23   #15
BANNED

My money is on the Crysta.

Creta is overpriced. Tuscon is a decent fit but will depreciate considerably. I'm not convinced with the FCA's dual clutch transmission and turbo+direct injection petrol engine's reliability. XUV is not my cup of tea. Too low to the ground.

Crysta will hold its value well and will be a more trouble-free companion. Space, comfort, styling are also good with the Crysta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks