Team-BHP Support

Skoda Kodiaq vs the others

Skoda Kodiaq vs the others-kodiaq.jpg

Skoda Kodiaq

What you'll like:

• An all-rounded luxury SUV! Classy styling, solid build & superb quality
• Cabin offers space, practicality and lots of intelligent features
• 3rd-row of seats is a crucial advantage over its many 5-seater competitors
• Impressive equipment list (panoramic sunroof, handsfree boot opener, auto parking...)
• 2.0L diesel is mated to a smooth 7-speed DSG automatic
• Car-like handling & road manners. Also, the AWD will get you out of tricky situations
• 5-star safety rating & equipment (9 airbags + a host of electronic aids)

What you won't:

• Power is 'adequate', but nothing 'special'. Should have gotten the 188 BHP & 400 Nm tune
• Overpriced by Rs. 5 lakhs. Priced at a serious premium over the Tiguan & Fortuner
• Cramped 3rd row of seats is strictly for children. A 5+2 SUV, not a 7-seater
• Styling is very understated. Doesn't have much street cred or presence
• Just one variant; no cheaper FWD or MT options either
• Should've gotten the Superb's ventilated seats & 12-speaker ICE
• Skoda’s ill-famed dealers & long-term reliability issues remain matters of concern

Link to Official Review

Toyota Fortuner

What you'll like:

• Contemporary styling & imposing street presence
• Tough build. Toyota body-on-frame UVs are known to have very long lives
• Powerful diesel and smooth petrol, with user-selectable driving modes too
• Interiors are much improved. Cabin is practical & user-friendly
• Loaded with features like Bi-beam LED headlamps, powered tailgate, paddle shifters & more
• Impressive offroad capability (by big SUV standards)
• Top-notch safety kit. 7 airbags, ABS, ESP, TC, hill assist, ISOFIX & 3-point seatbelts for all
• Toyota's excellent after-sales quality, fuss-free ownership experiences, low service costs & up to 7 years of extended warranty coverage

What you won't:

• Pricey! More expensive than the better-equipped & equally-competitive Ford Endeavour
• Missing sunroof, auto-dimming IRVM, lumbar adjustment, front parking sensors, auto-wipers etc.
• Ride quality – although improved – is still far from plush. You’ll feel the bumps
• Cost-cutting in a couple of areas; some interior plastics, ICE audio quality, camera display…
• Diesel’s short service interval of merely 5,000 km! Inconvenient for those with high usage
• Petrol variant is a guzzler. We saw merely 6 – 7 kmpl on the AT
• No longer a full-time 4x4. Also, 4x4 carries a Rs. 2.5 lakh premium on the MT (3 lakhs on the road)
• No cheaper / smaller diesel variant like the Endeavour 2.2 & ol’ Fortuner 2.5 for the mass market

Link to Official Review

Ford Endeavour

What you'll like:

• A big all-rounded SUV with no real deal breaker. Fantastic pricing as well
• Macho styling packs appeal. Solid build quality matches the butch presence
• Cabin is a nice place to be in. Likeable design, comfy seats & lots of storage
• Competent range of diesel engines. The 3.2L, especially, is very impressive
• Great balance between ride & handling for a body-on-frame SUV. Sweet steering too
• Offroad ready - Terrain Management System, rear diff lock, 225 mm GC & 800 mm of water wading
• 5 star safety: all wheel disc brakes, ESP & TC, 7 airbags, roll stability control, hill launch assist etc.
• Loaded to the gill with features! Panoramic sunroof, 8" touchscreen ICE + 10 speakers, parallel park assist, powered tailgate, xenon headlamps, triple-zone climate control & more

What you won't:

• Fortuner's cabin is roomier, offering more headroom & space at the back
• Missing essentials such as steering reach adjustment, satellite navigation, passive keyless entry & go, tumbling middle row seat & third row seat recline
• 2.2L engine feels lethargic over 120 kph. Not a fast highway express
• Mediocre fuel economy due to the fat 2,200+ kilo weight, AT & big diesel (3.2L)
• Ingress is difficult for the elderly / short folk. 3rd row access is terrible!
• No manual gearbox with the 3.2L. Fortuner 3.0L is available with an MT

Link to Official Review

Volkswagen Tiguan

What you'll like:

• A well-built European SUV with classy styling
• Spacious, high-quality cabin. Big 615-liter boot too
• Smooth 7-speed DSG automatic. Lightning quick upshifts
• Impressive highway stability & handling for a Crossover
• AWD is standard. Good for touring & tackling rough terrain
• Loaded with features & technology (including a beautiful panoramic sunroof)
• 5-star NCAP rating & top-notch safety kit

What you won't:

• Overpriced by a couple of lakhs! Heavy premium over the Hyundai Tucson
• Many will find the design too bland & understated. Lacks street cred
• Engine feels adequate, but isn't exciting. You'd expect more power at this price
• Stiff ride quality, especially on the back seat (our test car had the 18" rims)
• Despite this being a new wet clutch DSG, we have our finger's crossed on its reliability
• No cheaper MT or FWD variants
• VW's sub-par dealership & service experiences

Link to Official Review

Hyundai Tucson

What you'll like:

• Contemporary styling that is universally appealing
• Punchy 2.0L diesel engine mated to a smooth automatic transmission
• Comfortable ride quality & car-like dynamics
• Cool features such as the hands-free tailgate, LED headlamps, electric parking brake, ECO / Sport driving modes & more
• Top-notch safety kit: 6 airbags, ESC, VSM, all-wheel disc brakes, hill-start assist etc.
• Hyundai's reliability, competent after-sales, 3 year unlimited km warranty & 3 years of free servicing!

What you won't:

• No w-o-w factor on the inside. Interior simply doesn't feel special enough for a Rs. 30 lakh car
• Expensive, especially the top trim. Full-size 7-seater SUVs are priced in the same ballpark
• Some features are conspicuous by their absence (sunroof, auto-wipers, ventilated seats)
• Manual transmission gets step-motherly treatment; poverty-spec base variant only
• 2.0L petrol motor is strictly average. Doesn't impress like the diesel.

Link to Official Review
Omkar is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 09:11   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Kodiaq vs the others

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the SUVs Section. Thanks for sharing!

Came down to between the Ford Endeavour 3.2 & Skoda Kodiaq for me. The Endeavour is a big, butch SUV with an excellent engine, cabin, suspension & offroad skills (for a large barge). On the other hand, after taking the Kodiaq for a highway drive, it left a lasting impression on me. It's clearly the pick of the segment if someone is looking for a luxurious monocoque SUV. An all-rounder that can match even what 60-lakh rupee SUVs have to offer.

In the end though, the lure of the macho Endeavour is too hard to resist for me. Ford gets my vote.

Last edited by GTO : 5th January 2018 at 09:13.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 09:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking at the list purely from my perspective, I voted for the Tiguan. For those whose usage is going to be confined to a purely urban environment with a bit of touring thrown in, I don't see the need for big body on frame trucks. Statistically a very small number of SUV owners are into offroading.

The Tuscon is a the value option in the list. I have never been in one so won't pass any judgement on it. Maybe just a case of blocked mindset against a high priced Hyundai!

I am not a fan of seven seaters either. So I would pick the Tiguan over the Kodiaq. Also helps that the VW is quite a bit cheaper compared to its Skoda cousin. So I'll take the VW Tiguan - Thank you.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 5th January 2018 at 09:30. Reason: spell check
Santoshbhat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 09:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

I applied a simple benchmark to my listing - in what order would I be inclined to put my money if I were to buy. Of course some of these I simply wouldn't buy but if I had to get it down to order:

1. Ford Endeavour
2. VW Tiguan
3. Skoda Kodiaq
4. Hyundai Tucson
5. Toyota Fortuner

The only reason Fortuner is 5 is because the Endy exists. Otherwise it would have featured higher up.

Given these are very different (monocoque vs body on frame the biggest difference), I may pick a monocoque over a higher choice Endy if that was a more compelling criteria.

The Tiguan and Kodiaq is almost a joint second to me. The third row option value is indeed appealing but I would weigh that closely and principally against comfort in the 2nd row and ride quality, latter I'm told the Kodiaq is better at.

What I like about the Endy is that despite being body on frame, its a little more driver friendly than a T Fort. Nowhere in Tiguan / Kodiaq zone I'm sure but still better than what one expects from a body on frame. Now if only they had paddle shifters to boot, that'll make it darn near perfect to me.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th January 2018 at 09:53. Reason: Full names please
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 10:15   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This poll is incomplete without the BMW X1 and Mercedes GLA as options. Audi Q3 can be discounted as it is too old and will be replaced soon.

For me, it's a toss up between the X1 and the Endeavour. Despite having 3 rows, the big Ford is pretty tight as a 7 seater. Middle row bench can't accommodate 3 healthy adults comfortably either. Otherwise, it would have been my pick. It lost out for this very reason when I went car shopping last year.

My vote goes to the X1. The lure of 185 thoroughbred German horses is too hard to resist. It drives very well, is fairly spacious and comfortable, feels properly premium and not to mention, has the most desirable badge. It's the quintessential premium urban 'SUV'.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th January 2018 at 09:54. Reason: Full names please
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 10:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for the Fortuner. Despite me not liking the looks of the new model - I prefer the butch looks of the older one - I have never heard any bad experiences with the Toyota Service. This is one car that I will choose for its service over anything else.

I have assumed that since its a 4x4, I (owners as well) would prefer to take it to places unexplored. Incase something goes wrong at such a remote location, will a Skoda service centre even bother?

However, for city usage and for travel between big cities, I will choose the Kodiaq. It is a feature packed vehicle with lots of nice and thoughtful touches.
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 10:57   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote is for the Kodiaq. The overall package appeals to me immensely. Elegant looks, urban friendly size, 7 seats, extremely well kitted, feels at home in the city as well as highway. The Tiguan and th Tuscon also meets many of these criteria, but the flexibility of the 7 seats sealed my vote for the Kodiaq. The price is a big negative though.

In a semi urban or non urban environment, the Endeavour would be a strong contender. Find it to be too huge and bulky for a city like Bangalore.
Rajeevraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 11:54   #8
Team-BHP Support

Voted for the Kodiaq!

If I am looking at a vehicle with an off-road bias, definitely the vote would go to the mighty Ford, but for an urban crossover which is good to drive, safe and comfortable, the Kodiaq will be my pick. Its well-loaded with features, got the advantage of those extra seats, and somehow feel to have more character than the likes of Tiguan or Tucson.

Infact I would pick the Kodiaq against the likes of a BMW X1 or Mercedes GLA.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 11:56   #9
Team-BHP Support

If I don't consider price, service and reliability, then Kodiaq would be my choice. But then I live in the real world, and have to be practical. Even Tiguan has similar issues.

I wouldn't consider Endeavour/Fortuner because they are too big. I won't be able to get big enough parking slot whenever I visit my Bangalore apartment.

That leaves me with Tucson (voted for it), which would not have made my list until they added the AWD. It checks all my boxes, on ride comfort, 4WD, service, reliability, features and size. I hate sunroofs and it conveniently misses them.

Not sure why Jeep Compass is not in the list. Even if it was, I wouldn't have picked it. The service and reliability is a big question mark.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th January 2018 at 09:55. Reason: added full name
Samurai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 12:08   #10
BHPian

There are literally only two things going against the Kodiaq here.

1) it’s a Skoda
2) 35 lakhs at a showroom price with a 148bhp engine? Makes me LOL

If they provided a stronger pot, I’m sure there would be more takers. After looking at the T-BHP review, I was sold that Kodiaq would be the next SUV we buy. But at 34.50 ex showroom price for an engine we can find in 15-20 lakh SUV’s? Like I said, wanna LOL

I do agree it’s “quicker” than the Creta and the Scorpio and the likes but paying over double for a Kodiaq which is just marginally quicker? Not too sure

If we get the stronger engine, this is the best SUV in the market right now. Which could happen in a year or two but with a 3-5 lakh premium over the current premium.

Overpriced Skoda, add to the top when service costs and reliability is factored in. People may regret buying this beautiful machine before long.

Last edited by mijnoirhammer67 : 5th January 2018 at 12:17.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 12:27   #11
Team-BHP Support

In the real, practical world, I'd chose the 3.2 Endeavour AT simply because it has everything you'd want in a car for this segment, and then some. Styling of the current Fortuner just isn't up to my taste.

However, in the less practical and more wishful world, I'd go for the Tiguan. Price and the VW badge being the two reasons why it doesn't make the realistic cut. The car looks delightful!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th January 2018 at 09:56. Reason: Full names please
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 12:32   #12
BHPian

Voted for the Kodiaq (but with some hesitation.) My reasons for the same below.

Reasons for choice:
1) Its not overly huge like the Endeavour or Fortuner. A definitely boon over the other 2
2) Lot for cool features (good ICE, Sunroof, etc.)
3) Superb build quality
4) Overall well-mannered car. Anyone can drive it.

Reasons for hesitation:
1) Skoda dealer and service network
2) Price

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th January 2018 at 09:57. Reason: Full names please
naturaldisaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 14:05   #13
BHPian

I would put my money on the Fortuner and voted for it too. As a package (the car and the service/maintenance) it seems way better than most others to me. Looks butch and is very capable too. So if I ever have that kinda stash, surely the fortuner would be sitting in my garage
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 15:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

I voted Endeavor as I feel it is THE car to have at the moment. Just like how back in the day people were proud to own a C-Class or even the first lot of the XUV500, the Endeavor is a statement in itself just by the way it looks and feels both on the outside and inside. Also if I wanted a car, I'd just buy a car instead of the Kodiaq which I must say would have got my vote had the Endeavor not existed. The Endeavor simply knocks the ball out of the park in terms of butch SUV looks, dimensions and proportions are spot on, it truly can go off-road (personally experienced it in the hands of a professional off-roader in his private playground, the sales man wanted to take a video so badly so that he could show prospective customers it's capabilities even with stock tyres) in comfort, has the grunt (3.2) and Ford seems to be very enthusiastic about the after sales service so what more can one want I feel. How can one go looking for an SUV in that segment, and resist the Ford? It simply looks the part.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th January 2018 at 15:57.
IshaanIan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 16:09   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

As an SUV for myself - I would love the Endeavour. It's a very heart over the head matter and the butch looks + Ford brand do it for me over the Kodiaq.

However, if it was dad buying an SUV - it would be the Kodiaq. He won't take it off-road, and for him comfort (including ingress and egress) and manoeuvrability is key. Plus it'd probably fit in the parking spot comfortably unlike the Endy

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th January 2018 at 09:57. Reason: Full names please
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks