Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which of the following will you choose?
Mahindra Scorpio 36 10.06%
Tata Safari Storme 28 7.82%
Mahindra XUV500 76 21.23%
Tata Hexa 178 49.72%
Hyundai Creta 30 8.38%
Renault Captur 1 0.28%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 2.51%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2018, 16:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio vs the competition

Have always been a HUGE Scorpio fan and have owned 3 generations of it (2003, 2006 & 2008). But must admit, competition has upped the game so badly that Mahindra now needs a "new" Scorpio to keep up, not just a redesigned one.

In this day and age, both the Scorpio and the Safari/Storme feels really dated, especially when compared to their own siblings - XUV and Hexa and more so, when compared to the Creta.

I have voted for the Hexa and not because I own one, but because I feel the competition is really between the XUV, Hexa and Creta among which the Hexa's interior feels the most premium, most comfortable and offers the best in class ride.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 00:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Sir, with all due respect :
Please don't use "Sir", makes me feel older than I am!

Quote:

Just FYI, my 2010 Xylo E6 is now ~197000 KM and turning 8 years this June'18, done many memorable trips. Engine is good, some suspension matters (again!) can be sorted out, some denting (including repairs of rusts) and regular maintenance will keep it running for more time.
That (Xylo) is such an underrated machine. Its a pity that the market did not warm up to it, despite it being utterly practical, spacious and comfortable as against the older, cramped, but better looking Scorpio.

However, what these vehicles have done for Mahindra is that, they have etched a kind of comfort with the rural buyers like nothing else. The Rural authorities swear by Mahindra (and also Scorpio) even higher than Toyota. This is what is motivating the company to even try their luck in cashing in to the already built brand name, to demand more renumeration upfront and also maintaining it through the ownership cycle. Even on the defence contract, they lost to Tata Safari mainly on price!

Kind of Toyota way of doing things but without Toyota's legendary strictness on manufacturing process adherence. What they don't realise is that, all this is going fine for them now, but when it starts to slide, the way up is not just steep, the recovery itself might be at risk. But with their current bullishness, I guess we all want them to be hit by a lesson fast and hard.

Quote:
Sad that MM pushed 4x4 to even expensive S11. Im trying to find from MM (any contacts pls ??) if any possibility to get new (previous model) S4+ or S10+ models at good discounted rates. Wish. Lets see what lies ahead for me! Wishing all happy & safe miles.

regards,
Pranav
Unfortunately, this is not the same company we knew earlier. Besides, 4WD vehicles were mostly made to order, so there's no surplus inventory.
1100D is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 18:15   #48
BHPian

Voted for Tata Hexa (close competitor was Mahindra XUV 500) because I prefer :

* Primary real-wheel drive
* Ladder on frame construction
* 6 Air-bags
* Disc brakes on rear
Old 8th January 2019, 23:50   #49
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio vs the competition

I am planning to buy a new car and Scorpio has been on the list for a while. Upon researching got to know that Scorpio comes with 2 engine options 1) M2DICR and 2) MHawk120/140.
My usage would be for all types of roads city/highways and frequent trips to the mountains. A good 12k-15k run yearly.
Want to get information about performance of both the engines which one is worth buying.

Note:
I am not a features crazy person even base model of a car with good engine performance and sustainability is sufficient for me.
Would request moderator to move the post to the right thread if this isn't the right thread.

Last edited by abhikb : 8th January 2019 at 23:52.
Old 9th January 2019, 06:43   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
I am planning to buy a new car and Scorpio has been on the list for a while. Upon researching got to know that Scorpio comes with 2 engine options 1) M2DICR and 2) MHawk120/140.
My usage would be for all types of roads city/highways and frequent trips to the mountains. A good 12k-15k run yearly.
Want to get information about performance of both the engines which one is worth buying.
If you are getting a Scorpio for personal use, then the MHawk is the engine to go for, eyes closed. I've owned the MHawk around the year 2011-12, and loved it for its grunt, as well as relative refinement.

Link to my ownership review:
Scorpio ownership review (Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home!)

Do not even bother looking at the M2DICR.

On a personal note, if you can manage the budget, do look to see if you can move up to the XUV. The Scorpio despite its positives, has seen its glory days, IMHO.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 11:57   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
If you are getting a Scorpio for personal use, then the MHawk is the engine to go for, eyes closed. I've owned the MHawk around the year 2011-12, and loved it for its grunt, as well as relative refinement.
Thanks for the inputs.

How many kms have you done in the Scorpio till date and what is your opinion on Pros and cons of the vehicle in long term?

I had given a thought about XUV500 but the W5 variant costs around Rs.14 lakh on road which is way above my budget.

Hence, I am looking at TUV300 T10 variant or Scorpio S3/S5 variant.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th November 2019 at 00:11. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 9th January 2019, 12:01   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs.

How many kms have you done in the Scorpio till date and what is your opinion on Pros and cons of the vehicle in long term?

I had given a thought about XUV500 but the W5 variant costs around Rs.14 lakh on road which is way above my budget.

Looks like you didn't go through the ownership review link I had provided.
I sold the vehicle when emigrating, when it had done just 35,000 kms or so. However, there are other ownership threads on the forum where members have covered a lot more years and kms with the Scorpio.
Old 9th January 2019, 12:14   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You may also look at this .
Old 9th January 2019, 13:28   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs.

I own a TUV300 T10, and went through this dilemma recently. I posted an ownership review about the experience. You can read it.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ete-story.html (Purchasing my RedNBlack Truck - Mahindra TUV300 T10, the complete story)

Last edited by LegalEagle : 9th January 2019 at 13:29. Reason: Excessive spacing
Old 9th January 2019, 13:37   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
On a personal note, if you can manage the budget, do look to see if you can move up to the XUV. The Scorpio despite its positives, has seen its glory days, IMHO.
Hi Benbsb29,

I have sort of formed an impression that the XUV is a softroader, with it having a unibody construction. If one is looking for a city and highway performer, it sounds like the XUV is good enough. But would you advise it to an adventurer, or someone who drives off-road or bad roads often? A Mahindra mechanic told me recently over idle chat that the Scorpio and its derivative, the TUV were built to take abuse and that the XUV will suffer damage where the other two won't.
Old 14th January 2019, 08:26   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
A Mahindra mechanic told me recently over idle chat that the Scorpio and its derivative, the TUV were built to take abuse and that the XUV will suffer damage where the other two won't.
A BoF vehicle will always be more abuse tolerant compared to a monocoque. Having said that, the XUV is more than adequate for personal use across most terrain and has proven itself well in the market.
It will serve you well as a family vehicle.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 17:30   #57
BHPian

I voted for the Scorpio. i'm using one and I'm under pressure to sell it off due to NGT's 10 year ban. My Scorpio is of 2010 vintage and I absolutely love it, but then I love the Safari/Storme too, call me old school. I'm 6 feet tall and Scorpio's seating for me is spot on. However, the reason why I voted for the Scorpio is due to the perfect seating position I could find for myself.

I'm now in the market for a new truck and have sat in Hexa, Harrier, New Scorpio, Plush XUV 500, XUV 300, Kicks, Marazzo and Creta. None of these cars but Hexa, Scorpio and the to an extent Harrier gave me that seating position. In all options I mentioned, seat was either too high or too low. Even with the seat height adjust I could not find my sweet spot.

I'm contemplating to buy the new Scorpio again. And trust me, the new Scorpio with 140 horses is even more silent and responsive than the 2010 vintage.

Last edited by desiaztec : 16th February 2019 at 17:33.
Old 19th February 2019, 11:10   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
I voted for the Scorpio. My Scorpio is of 2010 vintage and I absolutely love it, but then I love the Safari/Storme too, call me old school.
I'm contemplating to buy the new Scorpio again. And trust me, the new Scorpio with 140 horses is even more silent and responsive than the 2010 vintage.
Being an ex Scorpio owner, I totally understand the bond this vehicle creates, and while it has always had great engines and trannies, the biggest reason I would avoid it today are it's safety ratings, where the Tata cousins will fare much better.

PS: I still like the exteriors of the Storme over the Hexa, that's how old school I am.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2019, 23:42   #59
BHPian

This is an old thread and may not be relevant to many, but humor me for a bit here. I wonder why the Scorpio continues to be one of M&Ms top selling vehicles. Clearly the XUV500 is a more advanced product, and the Marazzo and TUV300 are relatively newer, and the Scorpio itself has got pricier with the updates, making it less VFM amongst the other horses from M&M stables. The facelifts/updates themselves have done little IMO to keep it relevant in terms of the competition and changing landscapes (read gizmos and essential safety features). The TUV300 does not enjoy similar numbers, inspite of being in a lower price range than Scorpio. During my recent interactions with some SA's from M&Ms, I was told that most of the Scorpios and Boleros are sold primarily in rural/village/countryside areas, where people need a strong and sturdy chassis. While I do understand the logic for Bolero numbers, having its own user base considering it is preferred as a commercial/utility vehicle, but most of the Scorpios I have come across are private cars driven mostly in the city.

If anything, the paltry sales figures of the Safari should have been an indication of how a 2 decade old design stops being a crowd puller, but the Scorpio tends to defy all logic here.

BTW I voted "other" as in the current urban SUV category, MG Hector & Kia are better options
Old 14th November 2019, 06:43   #60
BHPian

Been driving the Scorpio for the last couple of months now (Not owned).The biggest point that goes for it is the butch exterior that gives it an awesome road presence. People notice you on the road, they give way when they see you on their rear view mirrors. The interiors are pretty bad, and akin to a sub 5 lakh rupee car. But what people see are the exterior image. Kind of complements human nature - we tend to focus on a person's outer appearance and personality rather than who he or she is from inside .

If Scorpio retains the exterior style, and improves on the material quality and the interiors to match the Harrier or even Creta, it will surely have my money on it.

Last edited by TD_GHY : 14th November 2019 at 06:44.
TD_GHY is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks