Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which of the following will you choose?
Mahindra Scorpio 36 10.06%
Tata Safari Storme 28 7.82%
Mahindra XUV500 76 21.23%
Tata Hexa 178 49.72%
Hyundai Creta 30 8.38%
Renault Captur 1 0.28%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 2.51%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2018, 20:31   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio vs the competition

Voted for others = Jeep Compass

1. Scorpio - dated, no excitement left.
2. XUV 500- niggles galore, fit and finish not up to the mark.
3. Safari - probably if the year was 2002.
4. Creta - too common, not even a soft-roader.
5. Captur - Renault trying to shove 3rd world products as European. Nah!
6. Hexa - not a bad car. The Tata badge is however, a deal breaker.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th February 2018 at 23:26. Reason: Post edited for readability. Please limit smileys to 2/post.
Old 20th February 2018, 21:00   #17
BHPian

Hexa anyday! Loved the safari in ride quality and the presence it commands. Hexa takes it only forward with much refinement in overall quality in every aspect, and that Harman tuned audio system! Among the limited number of cars I have driven so far (including 2012 Scorpio vlx) hexa was probably the longest, but I could handle such a big car with confidence. It is a car where even the base variant is value for money. If I had anywhere between 13-20 big ones to put, I'd place it on the Hexa, any variant that fits in the budget!
Old 20th February 2018, 21:27   #18
BHPian

Voted for TATA Hexa.

Had it been 2015s, people would have surely picked up either a Scorpio or a Safari or any other old body-on-frame SUV. The XUV was just a new up-comer then and the Aria(older Hexa) turned out to be a flop-product for the TATA owing to its MUVish design and heavy chassis and frame. During those times, Scorpio was the benchmark vehicle in the SUV category.

Fast forward to the current year and you see TATAs coming back in business with their new design philosophy and improved underpinnings in most of the higher-volume segments. The Hexa is a really great example of how TATA is shaping up the SUV segment.

It is my belief that even XUV will start showing its age in a couple of years(max ), and hence my vote goes to the new comer which intends to stay strong in the segment for the coming years, the Hexa.
Old 20th February 2018, 22:55   #19
BHPian

If the poll was done in 2002, my vote would have been for the boxy Scorpio.

If the poll was done in 2011, I would have voted with my eyes closed for XUV 500.

In 2018, we have several choices. Since the list doesn't have Compass and Innova, my vote goes to the Hexa. It kind of feels fresh compared to XUV 500.

If the poll will be done in 2019, maybe, H5X will be a serious contender.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 20th February 2018 at 22:58. Reason: Grammar
Old 20th February 2018, 23:34   #20
BHPian

I always felt Safari to be better than Scorpio throughout its generations. Storme looks way better in all aspects and carries the Iconic Safari flag. But looking at the current generation launches both doesn't stand anywhere close to the market standard and customer expectations. If I have to strictly choose between these two it will be Safari storme.

But considering the list my vote goes to Hexa which is definitely a big leap from Tata. I hope Safari will be getting the same treatment as Hexa in near future.
Old 21st February 2018, 01:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Tata Hexa for me.

I have my reservations about TATA as a brand but this time around, I have to give them credit for how far they have gone with the Hexa. I don't think there is any car in this list that has the street cred or interior appointments like the Hexa does. Those US sourced doors panels ooze quality. Unheard of for a TATA. The engine maybe old but is a proven motor and is supposedly very refined.

OT: What took me by surprise today was when I was going through the Official New Car reviews. 4/5 cars of the top selection were TATA. Goes to show that a "difficult to please group" are also showing interest in a brand that nobody cared about once.
Old 21st February 2018, 02:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Safari Storme. It has the underpinnings from the Hexa so its not “old” and I dont care much about the toys inside especially for a utility vehicle that is going to be used and abused. While all the other options are diluted when it comes to the SUV look, Storme still looks like a proper SUV. I quite like the styling too. Infact talking purely from a styling point of view, I still prefer it over any of the Mahindra’s in the poll, XUV included.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 03:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the UVs Section. Thanks for sharing!

It's either the XUV500 or Hexa for me. Not the Scorpio nor the Safari - both are way past their sell-by dates and feel too outdated today. Unless you need a body-on-frame 4x4, there is no reason to pick a Scorpio over the XUV500.

Same here. But wouldn't a used fortuner be a better choice for a proper rugged 4x4 SUV?
Old 21st February 2018, 05:09   #24
Team-BHP Support

I've been a fan of the Scorpio, which also explains why i owned one a few years ago. I've had some really awesome trips in it, and it was highly dependable.
Link to Ownership thread : Mahindra Scorpio Ownership

My summation of the ownership experience and associated sadness when i sold it is described here, the last post on my ownership thread : Bye dear Scorp!

However, fast forward to the current date, and it's quite obvious the game has moved on, as the competition has caught up, and made massive strides too! The Scorpio with its flaws was tolerable earlier, but it really needs a new lease of life, and more modern underpinnings. The facelift on the current version still irks me, and makes me think the silver tooth on the refresh version was much better in comparison.
Old 21st February 2018, 07:48   #25
BHPian

Voted for my choice, the Hexa.

Having owned both the first generation (pre-facelift) XUV500 and the Hexa, I can vouch for one thing that the Hexa is superior to the XUV in terms of quality and finesse and what not! Save for the performance. Given a chance, I'll put in the XUVs heart under the Hexa's hood. The 2.2 MHawk is so torquey and so responsive that I miss it at times. That said the 2.2 Varicor 400 is no slouch. The engine has oodles of torque post 1,800rpm. You'll enjoy driving it and the AT+powertrain combo is something what I'm in love with.

The Scorpio and the Safari Storme would be on my list only when I venture into serious off-roading. For me, the XUV and Hexa are a no-brainer choices over the Scorpio and Hexa.

Coming to the Captur, it's positioning and a lack of AWD is more than enough to reject it outright. After all it's a car with the underpinnings of the duster which was a good car in its hey days. But the Captur feels dated when it was launched. Had it been a couple of Lacs cheaper, I would've considered it over the Vitara Brezza or even the Ecosport.

Varun
Old 21st February 2018, 10:14   #26
BHPian

As a (happy ) Scorpio owner, if I had to buy today I would probably go for the Hexa. For all its positives, the price of Scoprio has climbed up too much. It is no longer VFM and the competition has upped the game significantly.
Mahindra really needs to rethink the next gen Scorpio to justify their pricing.
timuseravan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 10:35   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, a lot of questions on why we don't have the Innova or Compass in the list. These aren't direct competitors to the Scorpio. That said, it's precisely the reason we have the 'other' option in the poll as many would cross-shop across segments.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 10:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hexa with the autobox is my choice in this list. Value for money, nice real estate, decent engine and interiors.

Not sure if we should have called the thread Scorpio vs competition. The Scorpio is long past it's age.
Old 21st February 2018, 11:25   #29
BHPian

I own a previous gen Scorpio AT. To be honest, it feels cramped compared to the new gen vehicles available, especially when compared to the HEXA. Even the ergonomics are a total mess.
I have sat in the Hexa but not driven it. It is miles ahead compared to the rest of the vehicles here. Hence my vote for the HEXA.
Old 21st February 2018, 11:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

I was faced with this conundrum exactly a year back, and at the end of it, plonked my money down on an XUV 500 AT. One year and over 15000 kms later, thus far have no reason to regret my decision. It was a close fight between the Heta XTA and the XUV 500 AT but at the end the XUV was my pick for the following reasons:

(i) Looks more like a proper SUV as apposed to the van like looks of a Hexa esp from side on.
(ii) Having owned a couple of Safaris in the past, Tata's A.S.S. was not something i was really relishing experiencing again. Im a bit of an adrenaline junkey, but am certainly no masochist.
(iii) Resale of the XUV is in all likelihood higher than Hexa
(iv) Try as I may, I just couldnt find a comfy driving position in the hexa. the center console kept fouling with my left knee.
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks