Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Which of the following petrol ATs will you choose?
Mahindra XUV500 13 7.56%
Toyota Innova Crysta 38 22.09%
Hyundai Creta 31 18.02%
Jeep Compass 63 36.63%
Honda BR-V 10 5.81%
Hyundai Tucson 10 5.81%
Other (please specify in your post) 7 4.07%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2018, 09:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Petrol AT Showdown: Mahindra XUV500 vs the others

Petrol AT Showdown: Mahindra XUV500 vs the others-xuv500-petrol.png

Mahindra XUV500

What you'll like:

• 6-speed AT is smooth & capable. Superbly mated to the mHawk petrol
• Turbo-petrol has good driveability & can be quick too
• As expected, refinement levels are better than the diesel (although just okay by petrol standards)
• 1st & 2nd seat rows are very spacious
• Balanced ride & handling package
• Safety kit includes ESP with rollover mitigation, all-wheel disc brakes, hill descent control & more

What you won't:

• Big engine, heavy kerb weight & torque-converter AT mean single-digit fuel economy
• Not a revv-happy or high-revving petrol, if that's what you're looking for
• Available in a single trim. You'll miss the 6 airbags, sunroof, reversing camera, AWD etc.
• Ordinary interior quality. It's out of tune with expectations of the current time
• Absolutely no luggage capacity with all the seats in place
• Cramped 3rd seat row is best suited to children or short adults only

Link to Official Review - XUV500 Petrol AT (Mahindra XUV500 Petrol Automatic : Official Review)

Toyota Innova Crysta

Link to BHPian VKumar's Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT Review (Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT)

Hyundai Creta

What you’ll like:

• Very smooth, incredibly refined & effortless to drive
• 2 lakhs cheaper on-the-road than the Diesel AT! That's quite a difference
• Well packaged interiors have sufficient legroom & headroom
• Balanced suspension offers a comfortable ride & neutral handling
• Hyundai's reliability, competent after-sales & 3 year unlimited km warranty
• AT-only features such as 60:40 splitting rear seats, child seat anchors etc.

What you won’t:

• Unavailable in the top SX(O) variant! Merely one trim level for the Petrol AT
• Single-digit urban fuel economy. Diesel AT is a lot more efficient
• Creta AT needs stronger brakes. Braking ability isn't confidence inspiring
• Several missing features, big & small. Disappointing at this price point
• Rear seat is suitable for 2 adults, not 3 (due to its width)
• Some competitors offer you 3 seat rows for the same money

Link to Official Review - 2016 Creta Petrol Automatic

Jeep Compass

What you'll like:

• Handsome Cherokee-inspired styling & loads of character
• Solid build. Feels very robust, just as a Jeep should
• 1.4L turbo-petrol makes 161 BHP! Offers fast performance
• Smooth 7-speed dual-clutch Automatic
• Mature suspension setup, nicely-tuned EPS & rock-solid stability
• City-friendly size & higher seating make the Compass AT incredibly easy to drive
• Structurally safe, all-wheel disc brakes and a whole host of electronic aids (including ESP)
• We think the Compass is well-priced for what it offers

What you won't:

• 1.4L Petrol motor simply isn't as impressive as the all-rounded 2.0L Diesel
• No sport mode, no paddle shifters and no cruise control for this AT
• Petrol AT is unavailable in the lower variants. No AWD or 6 Airbags like the Diesel either
• Complex dual-clutch ATs have usually been troublesome in India
• Small size for the price! Also, narrow cabin is suitable for 4 adults, not 5
• Tiny dealership network. After-sales quality & long-term reliability are unknown factors as well
• Turning radius of 5.65m is more than the Safari Storme's. Further, 17Ί approach angle is too low
• Missing goodies (blanks on the steering, auto-dimming IRVM, auto wipers & headlamps, lumbar adjustment, reclinable rear seats)

Link to Official Review - Jeep Compass Petrol AT (Jeep Compass Petrol AT : Official Review)

Honda BR-V

What you'll like:

• A 7-seater SUV, unlike its direct competitors. Front & rear styling is nice
• Spacious, practical interiors. Excellent legroom and headroom in the 1st and 2nd rows
• Fast petrol, efficient diesel & smooth CVT - take your pick
• Compliant ride quality & neutral handling. 210 mm of ground clearance!
• Effortless to drive: light controls, sorted ergonomics & easy maneuverability for the city
• Airbags standard across the range. ABS + EBD on every variant, except base petrol
• Practical 223 liter boot with all seats up. 691 liters of capacity with the last row folded away
• Equipment includes projector headlamps + LED pilot lamps, leather upholstery, keyless entry & go, roof-mounted rear air-con, paddle shifters etc.

What you won't:

• Hit or miss design. MPV-like appearance from certain angles
• Interior part quality is ordinary. Also, build quality is very light
• Limited cabin width. Middle row good for 2 adults, not 3
• Low 3rd-row seat is best for kids or occasional usage only
• Poor rearward visibility. No parking sensors or reversing camera either
• Priced above the City which is a more premium car overall
• Missing essentials (seatbelt height adjustment, modern head-unit, auto-dimming IRVM, telescopic steering adjustment, phone controls on steering, proper dead pedal)

Review Link

Hyundai Tucson

What you'll like:

• Contemporary styling that is universally appealing
• Comfortable ride quality & car-like dynamics
• Cool features such as the hands-free tailgate, LED headlamps, electric parking brake, ECO / Sport driving modes & more
• Top-notch safety kit: 6 airbags, ESC, VSM, all-wheel disc brakes, hill-start assist etc.
• Hyundai's reliability, competent after-sales, 3 year unlimited km warranty & 3 years of free servicing!

What you won't:

• No w-o-w factor on the inside. Interior simply doesn't feel special enough for a Rs. 30 lakh car
• Expensive, especially the top trim. Full-size 7-seater SUVs are priced in the same ballpark
• Some features are conspicuous by their absence (sunroof, auto-wipers, ventilated seats)
• 2.0L petrol motor is strictly average. Doesn't impress like the diesel

Link to Official Review (Hyundai Tucson : Official Review)

Last edited by blackwasp : 9th April 2018 at 09:30.
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 14:06   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Petrol AT Showdown: Mahindra XUV500 vs the others

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the UVs Section. Thanks for sharing!

This poll is simple. If I needed a 7-seater Petrol AT UV, I'd pick the Innova Crysta anyday over the XUV500. The Toyota has an engine + gearbox combination that is way superior to the diesel-derived petrol mill under the XUV500's hood.

If I didn't need that 3rd row of seats, it would be the Creta or Tucson (depending on the budget).

I didn't like the Compass Petrol's engine + gearbox, and find the BR-V to be too much of a compromise in terms of quality. Would never consider these two.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 14:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

Given what serious guzzlers these cars can be, actual FE figures (at least ball park city / highway) would be very useful as a specific line item against each car. At least for me that would be one of the key factors while making a choice.

Also, not sure if my browser is acting up but is the pros / cons list for the Crysta missing? It only has a link to an owner's review thread.

Last edited by Axe77 : 9th April 2018 at 14:30.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 14:43   #4
Team-BHP Support

All the options we have for 7-seater UV are not really appealing for me, in the 5-seater variety there’s the Creta, but lacks in full safety kit. The other Hyundai in the mix – the Tucson is a bit too soft and plain Jane. It would have been ideal if the Kodiaq got a petrol option.

Considering all the above, I voted for others – my choice in the Petrol AT crossover will be the Ecosport AT Titanium+!
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 14:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This is actually a tough poll because none of the options really jump out as a good choice. All of them are compromised in some way or the other, especially because they mostly don't come in the top variant. So either safety or other important features are compromised.

The XUV, Innova, Tuscon and even the Compass, the petrol options exist purely targeted at a niche audience. Diesels are the USPs for these and will be the case for a majority of the customers too. So, if I had to buy one of these, I would definitely buy the more accomplished diesel variants. The Compass would still have been a good choice, but from the reports, the Dual Clutch is not as good as it should be and Dual Clutches in India are always a tricky proposition.

Which is why my vote is for the Creta. The Creta Petrol AT is a variant that is considered as a worthwhile option for anyone looking to purchase a Creta. It is not there to make up the numbers or as a fallback option for the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Considering all the above, I voted for others – my choice in the Petrol AT crossover will be the Ecosport AT Titanium+!
Edit: Completely forgot about the Ecosport AT. I think I would prefer it over the Creta.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 9th April 2018 at 15:00.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 11:16   #6
BHPian

I would pick Innova petrol over all the options if I need a genuine 7 people mover. If my requirement is for 5 people plus luggage then I would pick tucson petrol or a Honda CRV.

All the cars th mentioned cars are:
  • Comfortable for long journeys
  • Reliable and easy to live with
  • Have good (if not best) engine and gearbox
  • Have sorted road manners
  • Well built and qualify on safety parameters too

ShubhamGhute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 15:37   #7
BHPian

Voted for "Other".

Frankly, if I was in shopping for an SUV in this segment, it has gotta be a diesel. Why so? Simple. Because none of the petrol mills offered in the above said cars can't match up to their diesel counterparts in anyway.

If a Petrol becomes a must, then the Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi or the vRS is my pick (it's a different ballgame altogether). If it has to be an SUV, then it's something between the Tucson and the CRV. The CRV has started to show its age. Honda has really gotta do something about it. The Crysta 2.7 Petrol is also an option worth considering. But, I'd give my preference to the Octavia at the first place followed by any thing else. On another note, The XUV500 Petrol seems like a joke to me. A big no for me atleast!

Varun
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 19:09   #8
BHPian

Voted for other, As it absolutely makes no sense in going for a Petrol SUV, which will have no real advantage over Diesel (in terms of power/torque/comfort etc.).

What if I have to choose one, well my choice would be what I currently have, a Toyota Prado V6 in pristine condition, have power and performance of V6, low of maintenance, have oodles of space and have refinement of a petrol sedan. You can easily find some really good examples at dirt cheap price and will give you hasslefree ownership experience and amazing driving pleasure for years to come.

Petrol AT Showdown: Mahindra XUV500 vs the others-d50f853fb50c47109c73d29e9bbd661a.jpeg
Turbo Head is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 21:11   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
All the options we have for 7-seater UV are not really appealing for me
Meanwhile, I don't think I will ever go back to sedans or hatchback as a primary car ever again. I think every household should own a 7 seater UV (S or M type). I cannot count the number of times I have said -

Um, I think we can carry this in the car. (moving around stuff)
Hey, we can drop you on the way. We have a lots of room (at a family function)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun_HexaGuy View Post
Voted for "Other".

Frankly, if I was in shopping for an SUV in this segment, it has gotta be a diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Head View Post
Voted for other, As it absolutely makes no sense in going for a Petrol SUV, which will have no real advantage over Diesel (in terms of power/torque/comfort etc.).
In this price range (Rs. 10 to 20 Lakhs), I think the primary consideration for choosing a petrol automatic SUV over diesel is basically price (budget). Remember that these are not AMTs but proper 6 speed ATs or CVTs or DSGs which have a premium of Rs. 1 to Rs. 1.5 Lakhs over manual variants. Now if you add a diesel engine (usually has a premium of Rs. 1 to Rs. 1.5 Lakhs again) to the mix, you are looking at Rs. 2 to 3 Lakhs extra over petrol manual.

Now, 2 to 3 Lakhs is not much on a Rs. 40 to 50 Lakhs car, but a significant 10% to 20% higher on cars in this segment. Many customers would already be stretching their budgets when looking for a new car.

Last edited by SmartCat : 11th April 2018 at 21:14.
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 08:17   #10
BHPian

Since I recently purchased the innova crysta petrol I did this analysis a few months back. A 7 seater with loads of features, then the Crysta stands out. A good 5 seater that carries 5 in real comfort and luggage is the Tucson. Except it's not readily available. Compass petrol doesn't have the features , neither do the others mentioned.
Old 12th April 2018, 09:30   #11
BANNED

Out of all the options mentioned above, it has to be Innova Crysta 2.7 any day and every day for me. The comfort offered by the captain seats of Innova Crysta is simply unmatched and couple that to a petrol motor's silent operation - it simply makes for the most comfortable cruiser out there in the list.

Secondly in spite of being a 2.7l motor coupled to a TC gearbox, it is still surprisingly frugal and had offered me a decent fuel efficiency of 11 kpl on over 1000 kilometers of drive with 25% city and 75% highway, this is when at times I made all the horses available inside the block to come out and give their full output. Impressive, seriously I was impressed with the overall driving experience of this big block.

Right now I am owning Ecosport petrol, have driven BR-V CVT frequently; I can surely say that the fuel economy advantage of these puny 1.5l kids is hardly 10-15% compared to the proper big bore boy under the Crysta's hood - and look at how much extra it lugs.

Comparing to diesel? Well, if my running is under 1000 kilometers a month, I will any day buy a Crysta petrol over a Crysta diesel. Why so? Well, 1.5 lac initial price difference and a 15 years of registration life, with a running as low as say 1000 kilometers a month; I would like to keep my car for a long term and not scrap it after 10 years.

Mathematics:
Running cost per kilometer for Crysta 2.7 = Rs. 10 (I have taken 7 kpl FE for Delhi)
Running cost per kilometer for Crysta 2.8 = Rs. 6.5 (I have taken 10 kpl FE for Delhi)

Difference = Rs. 3.5 per kilometer

With a price difference of 1.5 lac (Count EMI interest too), the break even comes around 50k kms or say after 4 years with an average running of 1000 kilometers per month. Makes sense to spend on the petrol car there.

Tucson will be my second choice for that super refined motor
Compass is out of my lists, it deserved a better motor
VKumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 09:35   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Meanwhile, I don't think I will ever go back to sedans or hatchback as a primary car ever again. I think every household should own a 7 seater UV (S or M type).
Absolutely! That said, the options we have in the 7-seater space is very skinny – just the BRV and Hexa in the reasonably priced bracket, and then the SUVs/Crossovers which cost close to 40 lakhs (or above).
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 10:07   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, I don't think I will ever go back to sedans or hatchback as a primary car ever again. I think every household should own a 7 seater UV (S or M type).
Agree. Once you are accustomed to a bigger car and all that space, it is difficult to downgrade. You learn to appreciate all the advantages of the car. But another day, you drive a small nimble hatch and then wonder how easy is it to squeeze through the traffic or park it at will.

Everything has some pros and cons.

Quote:
I cannot count the number of times I have said -

Um, I think we can carry this in the car. (moving around stuff)
I have done this quite a few times in my WagonR. Have carried variety of stuff, even over 1000 kms, have helped a couple of friends shift their homes.

Quote:
Hey, we can drop you on the way. We have a lots of room (at a family function)
Unfortunately, this is where my car sucks and I think of a 7-seater.

Quote:
Now, 2 to 3 Lakhs is not much on a Rs. 40 to 50 Lakhs car, but a significant 10% to 20% higher on cars in this segment. Many customers would already be stretching their budgets when looking for a new car.
Agree. But I believe, as on this date, a major portion of this premium will be recovered when the car is up for resale. This market perception might change with the NGT ban, rising fuel prices, need for AT box, and other factors.

All the above won't make sense if we hold on to the vehicle for long time (atleast 7-8 years), have lower running and would love to own a smooth petrol.

Coming to XUV petrol, I think it will find quite a few takers for Govt. officials and corporate users. Petrol is a must for these users and they have started moving away from the sedans towards SUVs. Since there is a budget cap for such vehicle purchases, XUV might fit in where Crysta would be a stretch.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 12:35   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Meanwhile, I don't think I will ever go back to sedans or hatchback as a primary car ever again.
Because your primary car doesn't need to do office duties.

Drive around a big seven seater in Bangalore for a couple of hours every day - and one might end up in serious need of counselling. Getting parking slots being the most challenging task at hand for every outing.

If a third row is unavoidable - Innova petrol makes sense.

For all the city dwellers - Better to choose space wisely. Given the fact that most families don't need the third row - I would suggest better five seater options like the Creta instead of XUV and BRV petrols.

As for the relatives - Let them call an Uber.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 10:40   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Because your primary car doesn't need to do office duties.

Drive around a big seven seater in Bangalore for a couple of hours every day - and one might end up in serious need of counselling. Getting parking slots being the most challenging task at hand for every outing.

As for the relatives - Let them call an Uber.

I agree . Bangalore traffic gets loonier every day. Regarding the point on relatives. True. My relatives take cabs over to meet and then suggest a joy ride in the middle seats. And then promptly ola back. Also so far the car has served it's utility not bcoz we have taken our relatives in it but for school car pooling.

Most Viewed