Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2007, 13:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

The TATA Lottery or the FORD Pocket Drainer!!

After much of my research i really think that buying a TATA vehicle is just like buying a lottery. I have gone through lots of reviews at various sites/blogs over the past few months in search for a good vehicle within the 5-8 lakh mark.

The options that attracted my attention were (in alphabetic order)
Accent(Hyundai)
Aveo(Cheverlet)
Baleno(MArutiSuzuki)
Fiesta(Ford)
Fusion(Ford)
Safari Dicor LX(Tata)
Verna(Hyundai)

The Accent and Baleno could easily be dropped out since they are almost retired (Though the Baleno is a really wonderful underestimated car)

My research gave me a feel that there seems to be some problem with the Gears of the AVEO. The Verna did not look good to me(i think its a corolla with its sides being beaten up). and the Fusion is one car that i my dad already owns(the best vehicle at that price range. if you can manage the high spare casts)

So now i am really confused over the DICOR LX and the FiestaZxi(Diesel).

Though they are uncomparable in terms coming from an entirely different category. I think it would always come into comparison for anyone practically looking to buy a vehicle within the range. The Safari seems to be a lottery to me (you might get only small problems attached to it but you are sure to get some). And the fiesta also seems to have a simmilarly high maintainance cost as the fusion. So Should I go for my Dream car 0 The DICOR or should i decide to let loose my pockets over the Fiesta (though i might be able to compensate a little on the higher mileage).

Oh! i forgot to mention. My travel will mostly be on the highways with very little city driving.
help me in taking a sound decision. You guys must know how desperate you feel when you start searching for options, and all the ones have its pros and cons.
Also do you know about any contacts at tata so as to speed up things in case of any problems with the vehicle(someone who does care for customers!!)

Thanks in advance to all. HAve a Rocking New Year.
Old 8th January 2007, 15:18   #2
BHPian

On the highways, the Fiesta diesel really loses out due to its weak engine. It is quite good for the city, but lacks legs for highway-driving.

The safari, on the other hand, is a true blooded highway beast, that keeps on munching miles, and provides great comfort as well.
Old 8th January 2007, 15:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

Right now Balenos are available with amazing discounts. But if you are not comfortable with a model about to be replaced, better skip it. However, spares won't be a problem for few years.

Somebody is going to mention Fiat Adventure any time now. That depends on the Fiat A.S.S quality near your place. It is a safe bet in Pune/Mumbai/Bangalore. But no resale value, spares could be a problem.

Since your needs are mainly highway, I say forget cars, take the SUV route. Check out Bolero GLX-7S if you are not into fast driving. Any reason why you are not considering Scorpio?
Old 8th January 2007, 15:57   #4
Team-BHP Support

Baleno may retired... But, at 5.5L ON ROAD, its is fantabulous vale for money.... Hey... I guess its better to wait for the new baleno before buying any of the other cars in the list...

Fiesta is really small for a car of its price range... My friend's dad bought the 1.4 petrol, and has been crying about the poor FE...
Old 8th January 2007, 16:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Did not even think about a fiat since i've had a UNO. Have gone through the very interesting way of "customer service" that the TVS guys have provided. Now though tata is providing service, not very sure on how well they know about the Italian's. Some of the Best Cars though were from FIAT. right from the 118NE. BUt its the *** (After sale service) that has spoiled all of them including the incredible Palio.
Old 8th January 2007, 16:13   #6

Go for a safari.Its the best vehicle for highways plus Safari is cheaper to maintain compared to Fiesta.
I would also suggest to check with TATA dealers if the 2.2ltr Safari is going to be launched any time soon.
Old 8th January 2007, 16:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

@gemithomas,

you haven't clearly specified your priorities and needs. Till you do that, you'll get lot of feedback and opinions on various cars, but little of substance and relevance for you. I suggest, you chalk down your priorities/wish list first, so others can help you better.
Old 8th January 2007, 16:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

Agree with both Goldie and Crazy driver. The Fiesta looks too small for that price. and i'm not sure how a 1.4 diesel would perform on the highways. But my Biggest concern is will the TATAs leave me stranded on the highway. Since i've read all sorts of reviews of the vehcle just refusing to start; Light going out all of a sudden and the vehicle showing the engine check indicator at high speeds; new vehicles suspension being faulty; engine requiring overhauling etc etc and majority of them complain that the TATA guys take a hell lot of time even to diagnose the problem.
Old 8th January 2007, 16:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
But my Biggest concern is will the TATAs leave me stranded on the highway. Since i've read all sorts of reviews of the vehcle just refusing to start; Light going out all of a sudden and the vehicle showing the engine check indicator at high speeds; new vehicles suspension being faulty; engine requiring overhauling etc etc and majority of them complain that the TATA guys take a hell lot of time even to diagnose the problem.
If you have such concerns you shouldnt really be considering that vehicle. Good highway car - you could consider the Elantra CRDi which is very good for highway travel (except for low rear seats), is powerful and provides diesel economy.
Old 8th January 2007, 16:29   #10
Suryam

Quote:
Agree with both Goldie and Crazy driver. The Fiesta looks too small for that price. and i'm not sure how a 1.4 diesel would perform on the highways. But my Biggest concern is will the TATAs leave me stranded on the highway. Since i've read all sorts of reviews of the vehcle just refusing to start; Light going out all of a sudden and the vehicle showing the engine check indicator at high speeds; new vehicles suspension being faulty; engine requiring overhauling etc etc and majority of them complain that the TATA guys take a hell lot of time even to diagnose the problem.
I donot think Tata's vehicles are so bad condition as you are specifying(or taking few select stories/reports) -- how people trust Tata's is being shown by by number of Tata vehicles on Indian Roads.

Regarding Safari, it is more tested in timewise and fantastic vehicle for highways.

Old 8th January 2007, 16:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey Gemi,

What a co-incidence.

I am facing a similar dilemma, only in my case, it is the Dicor LX/Scorpio DX/ and Verna CRDI

Just checked with teh tata dealer in Bangalore and they are offering 50K cash or 55k Accessories as discount. that makes the Dicor a great buy.

However, with the DIcor, one has to be ready for an odd niggle here and there but nothing major. ALso, Tata dealers really give good suppot ot at least Safari owners- Instructions from Tata motors- this was told to me by a guy at Manipal motors).

between your choice, I would say go for the Dicor-

As for the others, please help me out as well guys! Dicor, Scorpio or Verna crdi.

The usage will be about 1500 kms per month in Bangalore primarily with an accoassional (once in six months) out of town trip.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 8th January 2007 at 16:35.
Old 8th January 2007, 16:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

samurai, i did not consider fiat since i've had a UNO and i have got enough experience with the unique "Customer CAre" that the TVS guys used to provide. In fact those guys have spoiled or rather murdered some of the best cars we had right from the 118NE. Now that tatas have taken over i think it should improve but i still really doubt how well the tatas can understand the italians.

You've asked the question of the Year "WHy not Scorpio?"
Infact i started off with Scorpio as the only vehicle in mind but as i proceeded woth my researching i realised (i dont intend to offend anyone out here including scorpio owners) that this was one of the most stupidest vehicles that is being sold in india. and that too the most selling vehicle in its category brings to my mind the fact that we dont do our homeworks before we make a purchase.

The vehicle fails to meet the basic requirements that needs to qualify being called an SUV. Talk about handling at high speeds to body roll to braking!!!(the brake takes a very neat double distance than the innova and nearly 20 meter more than the safari for 100-0) I feel these are BASIC things. and i feel the scorpio fails miserably in all these departments. Of course it is a bloody good looking car (the old model. the new one more or less looks like a toy from a childs wardrobe!!!) and has got a really powerful engine. But i dont think its worth the price they are asking.

Common man who wants to buy a vehicle at close to 9 lakhs which does not even optimally satisfy its basic functions. After all kno needs all these ABS and other stupid things in a country where you cant drive at above 100 for more than 3-4 minutes continuously.

and moreover who want to go to the TVS guys and hear experiece their *** (After Sale Service) after paying that much money.
Old 8th January 2007, 16:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
But my Biggest concern is will the TATAs leave me stranded on the highway. Since i've read all sorts of reviews of the vehcle just refusing to start; Light going out all of a sudden and the vehicle showing the engine check indicator at high speeds; new vehicles suspension being faulty; engine requiring overhauling etc etc and majority of them complain that the TATA guys take a hell lot of time even to diagnose the problem.
If you are so concerned about the build quality/reliablity of the Safari, why not take a look at the Scorpio as well. It is a bit cramped compared to the safari, and there are some concerns over the longevity of its engine/transmission. But it has a very zippy engine, and has a better build quality and high speed maneouverability.
Old 8th January 2007, 16:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
As for the others, please help me out as well guys! Dicor, Scorpio or Verna crdi.

The usage will be about 1500 kms per month in Bangalore primarily with an accoassional (once in six months) out of town trip.

Verna CRDi followed by the Scorpio. You can always rent an MUV when you go out of town once in six months.
Old 8th January 2007, 16:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But it has a very zippy engine, and has a better build quality and high speed maneouverability.
Scropio has better high speed maneouverablility than Safari? Somehow, I doubt that, unless M&M have improved the 2007 version drastically. ( I have not driven the "new" scorpio so far)

Most Viewed