Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which MPV would you choose?
Mahindra Marazzo 23 20.35%
Toyota Innova Crysta 34 30.09%
Maruti Ertiga 4 3.54%
Tata Hexa 51 45.13%
Renault Lodgy 0 0%
Honda BR-V 0 0%
Mahindra TUV300 Plus 1 0.88%
Other (please specify in your post) 0 0%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2018, 10:21   #1
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra Marazzo vs other 7-seater MPVs

Mahindra Marazzo vs other 7-seater MPVs-mahindra-marazzo-comparo.png

Mahindra Marazzo

What you'll like:

• A clean looking Mahindra (for a change!) with a robust, abuse-friendly build
• Nice & roomy cabin. 1st & 2nd seat rows are spacious, while the captain seats are terrific
• A 3rd-row seat that can actually be used by adults
• 1.5L diesel offers good driveability & fuel economy. 6-speed MT is smooth to use
• Compliant ride quality with neutral road manners for an MUV
• Impressively refined & more carlike-to-drive than other body-on-frame UVs
• Dual airbags, all-wheel disc brakes, Isofix & ABS are standard
• Features such as 2 front armrests, adjustable lumbar support, cruise control, rear window sunshades, rest reminder, economy mode etc.

What you won't:

• With the 3rd seat row in place, the boot is rather small for a vehicle of this size
• Concerns over niggles in a freshly baked product & engine from Mahindra
• M8 variant's price overlap with the XUV500 & Hexa (especially after discounts on the latter two)
• Bench seat option is unavailable on the top variant
• No automatic variant on sale. Almost all competitors have an AT in the line-up
• Some design errors such as the cramped engine bay (try accessing the battery) & hard-to-use handbrake
• Mahindra's after-sales service quality is a hit or miss. Remains a gamble
• Many important features missing (keyless entry & go, auto-dimming IRVM, leather-wrapped steering, telescopic steering adjustment, auto headlamps & wipers etc.)

Link to Official Review

Toyota Innova Crysta

What you'll like:

• Indestructible build & durability. The Innova is known for its bullet-proof reliability
• Spacious, flexible & practical cabin. An extremely comfortable long distance commuter
• Upmarket interiors. The ZX AT variant is very plush
• Powerful diesel engines with user-selectable driving modes
• Balanced suspension & road manners. High speed stability is rock solid
• Top-notch safety kit. 7 airbags, ABS, ESP, TC, Isofix & 3-point seatbelts for all
• Feature packed! Leather seats, LED headlamps, mood lighting, cruise control & lots more
• Toyota's excellent after-sales service and fuss-free ownership experiences

What you won't:

• Hefty price tag! 2 - 3 lakhs higher than the already expensive ol' Innova
• Top ZX variant is unavailable with a middle-row bench seat (8 seater)
• Lower variant's interior looks too basic. GX doesn't even get a stereo!
• 2.8's single-digit urban fuel economy due to the hefty kerb weight, engine size and AT
• 2.4's NVH package still has holes to fill (engine clatter, dancing gear lever)
• Heavy steering at parking / low speeds. Can get cumbersome in the city
• Poor sound quality from the ICE. Cheap speakers beg for an upgrade
• Short service interval of merely 5,000 km. Inconvenient for those with high usage

Link to Official Review

Maruti Ertiga

What you’ll like:
• A 7-seater MPV at the price of a C segment sedan. The petrol variant, especially, is very well priced
• Car-like ride, handling & driving experience. Effortless to drive in the city and on highways
• Flexible seating & luggage options. Cargo capacity runs as high as 735 liters
• Competent petrol & diesel engines. The latter offers outstanding fuel economy
• ABS available on all variants, except the base petrol. Bigger brakes than the Swift & Dzire
• Maruti’s excellent after-sales service & wide dealer network

What you won’t:
• Not a spacious 5 seater if you fold down the 3rd seat row for luggage. Limited width for the 2nd row too
• 3rd row is best suited to adults for short trips, or kids over long trips. Not really a full-size 7 seater car
• Minimal 135 liter luggage capacity with all 3 rows of seats in place
• Diesel engine carries a hefty Rs. ~1.3 lakh premium over the petrol. On-road difference is ~1.5 lakh rupees
• Even the top-end ZXi / ZDi variants don't get climate control

Link to Official Review

Tata Hexa

What you'll like:

• Smart styling & substantial presence. Solid build & paint quality too
• Spacious, high quality and comfortable interiors. Even 3rd row is rather useable
• 6-speed AT is smooth & competent. Perfectly mated to the 2.2L diesel
• Excellent ride quality. Comfortable over any kind of road
• Features such as selectable driving modes, auto headlamps & wipers, ORVM demister...
• Awesome 10-speaker JBL audio system. Sound quality is fantastic!
• Topnotch safety kit includes 6 airbags, ESP, TC, ABS, EBD, hill hold / descent control etc.
• AWD with electronic wizardry & 200 mm of ground clearance

What you won't:

• Automatic variant unavailable with AWD, ESP & super drive modes
• Missing essentials (steering reach adjustment, smartkey entry & go, auto-dimming IRVM...)
• Access to the 3rd row is flawed in the captain seat (6-seater) version
• Heavy steering (low speeds), long travel MT shifter, big size & wide turning radius are annoying in the city
• Fat 2,280 kg kerb weight blunts performance & efficiency. Competition is 400 kilos lighter!
• Concerns over niggling issues & long-term reliability
• Tata's after-sales service remains a hit or miss

Link to Official Review

Renault Lodgy

What you’ll like:
• An all-rounded & practical 7 seater MPV. 3rd seat row is usable too
• Priced between the Ertiga & Innova. Top variant is 4 lakhs cheaper than the Toyota
• Robust, abuse-friendly build & construction
• 109 BHP diesel is fast, refined & fuel-efficient. 84 BHP variant has superb driveability
• Outstanding ride quality. Comfortable over any kind of road
• Car-like to drive. Balanced handling and dynamics
• Features: Touchscreen ICE, cruise control, navigation, adjustable lumbar support etc.
• Boot space of 207 - 1861 liters. Innumerable passenger : cargo combinations possible

What you won’t:
• Limited 2nd row legroom. This seat lacks the fore & aft adjustment of its competitors
• 109 BHP diesel suffers from turbo-lag below 1,800 rpm
• Boxy, unappealing styling (especially the rear end)
• Low 3rd-row seat means you sit with your knees pointing upward
• 185/65 R15 tyres of the 84 BHP variant are too small for a people carrier. Same tyre size as the Swift!
• Renault's service network isn't a patch on that of Maruti or Toyota
• Owners of the mechanically-identical Duster have reported the occasional niggles

Link to Official Review

Honda BR-V

What you'll like:

• A 7-seater SUV, unlike its direct competitors. Front & rear styling is nice
• Spacious, practical interiors. Excellent legroom and headroom in the 1st and 2nd rows
• Fast petrol, efficient diesel & smooth CVT - take your pick
• Compliant ride quality & neutral handling. 210 mm of ground clearance!
• Effortless to drive: light controls, sorted ergonomics & easy maneuverability for the city
• Airbags standard across the range. ABS + EBD on every variant, except base petrol
• Practical 223 liter boot with all seats up. 691 liters of capacity with the last row folded away
• Equipment includes projector headlamps + LED pilot lamps, leather upholstery, keyless entry & go, roof-mounted rear air-con, paddle shifters etc.

What you won't:

• Hit or miss design. MPV-like appearance from certain angles
• Interior part quality is ordinary. Also, build quality is very light
• Limited cabin width. Middle row good for 2 adults, not 3
• Low 3rd-row seat is best for kids or occasional usage only
• Poor rearward visibility. No parking sensors or reversing camera either
• i-DTEC diesel can get noisy and isn't high-rpm friendly
• Priced above the City which is a more premium car overall
• Missing essentials (seatbelt height adjustment, modern head-unit, auto-dimming IRVM, telescopic steering adjustment, phone controls on steering, proper dead pedal)

Link to Official Review

Mahindra TUV300 Plus

What you'll like:

• Brilliant 2.2L mHawk engine has transformed the TUV300! It's totally worth the price premium
• Increased length brings more seating space in the 3rd row
• A very viable alternative to the outdated Scorpio & antique Bolero
• Robust, abuse-friendly build & construction. Good road presence too
• Boot space has gone up to 696 litres (expandable to 888 litres)
• Features: 7-inch touchscreen system, 2 front armrests, adjustable lumbar support, ECO mode etc.

What you won't:

• 3rd seat row is only for kids or short adults. What's worse, 2nd row legroom has reduced in the Plus!
• Ride quality is nowhere as cushy as its car-based rivals. Can get bumpy
• Steering is on the heavier side at parking / low speeds. Requires effort to use
• No AMT Automatic. Sub-4m TUV300 gets it
• Some important features missing (rear a/c vents, seatbelt height adjustment, dead pedal, option of a 4x4 etc.)
• Mahindra's after-sales service quality is a hit or miss. Remains a gamble

Last edited by Aditya : 15th November 2018 at 16:31.
Aditya is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 14:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Marazzo vs other 7-seater MPVs

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 15:21   #3
BHPian

These MPVs are across multiple segments, eventhough their primary function is as people movers. So, this is no apple to apple.
My vote for Hexa, for the looks, the value, ride quality and the placement somewhere in the mid of the stack

Last edited by MSAneesh : 15th November 2018 at 15:25.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 15:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

I really like the Hexa for its power, the value it presents, the ride quality, contemporary styling, and the nicely done interiors. When I tried to recommend it to a family member, I realized its biggest shortcoming - its weight. It weights almost 400 kg over an Innova, and 600+ kg over a Marazzo Which is like towing a Nano along wherever you go!
That kind of a mass makes it quite cumbersome to drive around in town, and its extra-generous dimensions don't help much either.

Hence I voted for the Marazzo which is spacious, well equipped and terrific value for money too. The front-end could have styled better, but the interior design (which is more crucial in an MPV) makes up for that.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 15th November 2018 at 15:24.
aravind.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 15:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

The only thing I don't like about Hexa is its kerb weight. It affects its performance & efficiency. IMO, Barring this factor, Hexa is a winner among these MPVS. ( yes! a winner against over-priced Innova too).

Marazzo is a well equipped VFM product. However, Hexa beats it at space and power. Voted for Hexa.
SJM1214 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 15:45   #6
BHPian

Well, it was tougher than I thought to come to a conclusion. If the price point is not something that you sweat about, Innova Crysta should be your pick.

If you are looking for a VFM package, it will have to be Marazzo. And my vote went to Marazzo.

Hexa was ticked off the list for its sheer size.
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 15:53   #7
BHPian

Innova Crysta -

1. Competent engines and gearbox (2.4L / 5 Speed OR 2.8L / 6 Speed - best among the list)
2. Reliability - the best among the list (least number of issues among the list)
3. A.S.S - Toyota trumps them all.
4. Resale value - Again, the don of the lot.

Only drawback.. pricing! Most premium among the list. Does it deliver value at the price? Its a measure that is different for different individuals. For me, its worth it (if only I could afford it).
OrangeCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 16:10   #8
BHPian

Hexa (XTA) -

1. Superb ride quality and handling
2. Awesome power available (154 bhp)
3. Race car mode is really like a dose of Nitro you add when playing racing games
4. Low noise in cabin
5. Good, comfortable interiors
6. Excellent auto box (no lag, no nothing)
7. Some good features - rain sensing wipers, auto head lights etc.
8. Good value for money pricing, unlike the Crysta

Cons -

1. No keyless entry/exit
2. No push button start/stop
3. Tight steering can bother some people while city driving
4. No AWD available in the XTA
5. Seat adjustments are manual and not electrical
6. Lack of space to keep phones etc. for driver
7. No android auto support and the ICE is really small and not upto the mark
8. No cornering lights like the XUV
9. The last one - black color is not available at all!!

So, if you are mentally able to climb over the "cons" hill, go for the Hexa (or wait for the facelift, whenever it comes).

Last edited by rovingeye : 15th November 2018 at 16:22. Reason: Added point 9.
rovingeye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 18:13   #9
BHPian

Listing the traits IMHO:
Urban friendly - Marazzo
Highway Cruncher - Hexa
Brand advantage - Innova Crysta
Family/part time 7 seater - Ertiga (or New)
Commercial vehicle - TUV 300+
Lodgy, BRV - better options in Marazzo, Ertiga (New)

Overall choice is Marazzo.
anthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 10:21   #10
BHPian

It was an easy choice for me - the Hexa. Yes it is missing a few features and the weight is a big let down, but apart from that it still seems a brilliant package. Not to forget, the only one with a 4x4 option in the ones listed above. The comfort that it offers is just brilliant and that is something which even the higher priced Crysta cant offer.

If only TATA works a little on reducing its weight, plonks an AT 4x4 and keeps the feature list a bit better than whats on offer, it will surely a much better product than it is now
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 10:23   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't see myself driving an MPV ever - it's simply not my kind of car. If I were to ever buy an MPV, it would be for the family. Am not price sensitive, so would pick the Innova Crysta 2.8L AT for its all-rounded nature, long-term reliability & Toyota's ownership experience. I also appreciate Toyota's commitment to safety. Whenever I'm renting a highway car for my family, it's only the Innova. No Lodgy, no Ertiga, nothing else.

Equally, I might add that the Marazzo is an excellent MPV at its price point. Love the Hexa too, but I'd buy the Innova Crysta over it.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 10:41   #12
Team-BHP Support

If I was in the market for a MPV now, I would buy the Hexa AT - because it is the sexiest MPV (oxymoron, I know) of the lot. But that's just me saying and voting because there is no cash commitment involved.

When its time to put money where my mouth is, I wonder if I will write 'Nandi Toyota' under payee name. Crysta no longer looks ugly to me. It is likely to be more reliable than Hexa, and offer good resale value too.

Last edited by SmartCat : 16th November 2018 at 10:45.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 11:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Hexa.

The first and foremost reason for this is Looks. This is one MPV which continues to grab my attention on the road even today. And after I overcome the looks, the vehicle is pretty sorted with a list of strong points and no known issues. A few features here and there, I will be more than willing to overlook. And yes, if I had that kind of money for a new car, I would go for the Hexa XT (no compromise on the 19 inch alloys).

I am not an MPV lover and hence, the Crysta just appears like a bloated boring machine. Marazzo is a decent attempt by Mahindra but I am still not convinced by the looks (especially from behind where it appears raised and shows the underbody/suspension components).

Last edited by ashis89 : 16th November 2018 at 11:23.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 18:33   #14

Marazzo M6+ vs XUV700

Hello All

My first post here. I am proud owner of Marazzo M6+ (2020). I test drove a XUV700 (technically for the second time). Better half loves marazzo for second row comfort and more importantly for the roof AC. XUV700 from the driver seat was good (dont want to repeat details about the greatness of steering etc)

But, we found the middle seats more claustrophobic than Marazzo. The size of the windows in second seat in marazzo is much bigger giving an airy feeling

Also the boot space with 3rd row folded in Marazzo is definitely more than xuv700 due to two reasons. The boot space thats available with 3rd row up in marazzo is deeper than xuv700. Also the projections on the sides for bottle holder is lower in xuv700 leading to more cramped horizontal space

On paper xuv700 is longer than marazzo 4695 vs 4585 and also the SA told me xuv700 is wider as well

Is it because Marazzo is shaped like a shark and hence wider as it goes from front to back ?

We are a luggage sensitive family with a nice integrated roof carrier in our M6+ and so the boot space in xuv700 with 3rd row folded was a disappointment (with sunroof mahindra does not recommend roof carrier in 700)

AC in second row was also a dampener (used to the luxury of roof AC in Marazzo, not sure why Mahindra did not use this on other cars)

All in all Marazzo (most under rated MPV,IMO) fares better in second row comfort and boot space is my verdict. Better half rejected xuv hands down

Harish
hariswami is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks