Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2018, 00:09   #1
BHPian

Advice on buying a used Renault Koleos?

Koleos owners and former Koleos owners please do weigh in and help with your advice!

My 2012 Thar is now very long in the tooth, its 100k km down and it has served me well and the service centers around me even better! Now, having done that much hill driving, where the Thar resides, I am thinking of retiring it and using the funds and some top up to get something a little easier to drive, new or second.

In the ideal world scenario, it would be a small SUV, automatic, with AWD. An EcoSport AWD, which unfortunately we don't get would be fantastic.

My options currently

1. Used Fortuner AT 4x4 2013 onwards - too large, and the second market is overpriced I think.

2. Used Endeavour AT 4x4 2013 onwards - decently priced used ones, but too barebones and too long for narrow hill roads

3. Koleos 2013 AT 4x4 - decently priced, but parts can be a nightmare I heard

I really do like the Koleos for its size and feature set over the TFort and the Endy, can Koleos owners share their experience and tell me the downsides of getting a used one?

Also, I considered the Scorpio too but I just don't like the ride quality and its tight interior space.

My requirement is nothing urgent, I plan to ride out the winters and the snow with the Thar, and would only do a change sometime spring of 2019, are there any upcoming launches with an AWD and an auto transmission under 15-16 lacs that one needs to watch out for?
Old 5th December 2018, 01:13   #2
BHPian

re: Advice on buying a used Renault Koleos?

Why are you not considering Tata Safari 4x4 or Hexa 4x4? They fit your needs well and will be be in budget too!

Also, why didn't you consider Duster AWD, when you were looking for a Crossover AWD like Ecosport-AWD?

You can also try Scorpio 4x4 albeit the ride will be bumpy.

Ps. Why are you keen for Koleos?

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 5th December 2018 at 01:15.
Rshrey22 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 01:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for the Fortuner AT 4x4 eye's closed. It has bullet proof reliability and if anything goes wrong Toyota will take care of it.

The same cant be commented on the Koleos. Plus Renault service centres are a hit or a miss. Some of them even fail to stock parts of a Duster. So with a Koleos you may face issues in after sales service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Also, why didn't you consider Duster AWD, when you were looking for a Crossover AWD like Ecosport-AWD?
Actually going for a Duster AWD, be it a new one or a pre-owned one will make good sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillyThar View Post
I plan to ride out the winters and the snow with the Thar, and would only do a change sometime spring of 2019, are there any upcoming launches with an AWD and an auto transmission under 15-16 lacs that one needs to watch out for?
The Duster AWD is excellent in snow! You can find tons of video's on this in Youtube. Plus it's not as big as the Fortuner or the Endeavour, so driving it on narrow roads wont be that tough.

Last edited by Samba : 5th December 2018 at 01:43.
Samba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 01:43   #4
BHPian

I agree these are all very good options in the 4x4 and AWD space, and I have considered them, and may even end up with one from the ones you listed, I really do like the Hexa 4x4, and am also waiting to see if Renault brings in the new Duster here next year.

However, I am keen to have both an AWD and an Automatic transmission, hence the shortlist of these three at the moment!

I have an attraction to the Koleos as its a compact SUV, with a lot of creature comforts, a decent CVT transmission and an AWD that should serve well in mild snow. I wouldn't have gone for a new one given the sale price, but there are some good 2013 model second-hand ones below 9 lacs in the market.

I read long term reviews and reports from other countries and the 2013 Koleos has held up well since then with no major issues. Given the fact that its a discontinued vehicle domestically, I want to check if current owners have managed to get their vehicles serviced, and how long is the wait for spare parts, and any other major issues before I consider it seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Why are you not considering Tata Safari 4x4 or Hexa 4x4? They fit your needs well and will be be in budget too!

You can also try Scorpio 4x4 albeit the ride will be bumpy.

Ps. Why are you keen for Koleos?
HillyThar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 04:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

AT + 4x4 combo at the 'right price' in the used market is going to very hard- owners keep their cars till death, and those who sell would wait for the right buyer to milk him out.

As an owner of a Koleos, you don't want to be without your car because parts aren't available in the service center. Looks like you'll have heavy usage and the car is going to be driven hard compared to many of us city dwellers- so you're best off trying to get a used fortuner which will be reliable and offer the easiest ASS.
landcruiser123 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 09:52   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Advice on buying a used Renault Koleos?

Better to avoid the Koleos. Parts remain expensive, part supply will be scarce & few dealers will understand the vehicle well.

Because you're keen on an AWD AT, the Santa Fe should be your top pick. Simply superb SUV. There are many on sale (here is a sample). Other options are the Fortuner (bumpy ride is the main problem) or XUV500 AWD AT. The Tucson also has an AWD AT variant, but it'll be a couple of years before they get to your price range (here is a sample). If you're okay with RWD only, then the Hexa AT is fantastic.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 10:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:

I have an attraction to the Koleos as its a compact SUV, with a lot of creature comforts, a decent CVT transmission and an AWD that should serve well in mild snow. I wouldn't have gone for a new one given the sale price, but there are some good 2013 model second-hand ones below 9 lacs in the market.
Please visit a Renault ASS, and check for the availability and price of following items:

1. Power steering pump.
2. Power steering assembly.
3. Windshield wiper assembly.
4. AC compressor.
5. Headlights & Tail lights.
6. Regular service consumables like oil filter, brake pads, etc.

Compare them with the rest of the options listed. After a fair comparison IMHO you will consider buying anything except Renault Koleos. Though it's a very good car but as advised by GTO, avoid it.

Last edited by wrongturn : 5th December 2018 at 10:17.
wrongturn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 18:09   #8
AYP
Senior - BHPian

If you are okay with a compact SUV, then Duster AWD should be the ideal choice for you. However, if size and the lack of AT is a factor, then don't you consider the Santa Fe? You should try to find the early 2014 models which should comfortably fall within your budget.

Buying a Koleos will surely be a decision from heart and not the mind.
AYP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 19:27   #9
BHPian

As an owner of Koleos myself i would like to give the following feedback:

Pros:
1. Koleos AWD AT is a fantastic car loaded with a lots of creature comforts and attention to details like split tail gate, rear window curtains, etc., superb Bose ICE and very high quality interior, safety, etc. (expect proper europian design and built standards here). I often jokingly call it a poor man's Q5, such is the quality and the features! (since we also own a previous generation Q7 in the family, i am in a good position to compare here, i suppose)
2. Excellent ride quality with predictable and enjoyable handling provided by the monocoque chassis (a lot better compared to the Fortuner and Endeavour)
3. A lot friendlier on pocket than the Q5 to run (even though the user experience is comparable apart from the brand value)
4. Very versatile to use and can play a variety of roles like comfy and safe family car, decently capable offroader, luxury car, fast and comfy highway cruiser, city friendly size, etc.
5. Car is extremely reliable, maybe not as much as the Japanese cars but a lot more than the Germans.
6. Extremely refined compared to the Fortuner and Endeavour (i prefer it over my Pajero Sport anyday for the plush, refined experience and needless to say, the AT)
7. Full electronic safety package which is also very reliable.
8. Better fuel efficiency (20-30% more than the fortuner, endeavour)
9. Cheaper to acquire as a used car, especially given the luxury experience and specifications on offer
10. Superbly insulated cabin with great NVH standards compared to fortuner and endeavour

Cons:
1. Regular service, wear and tear parts (like brake pads, filters) are easily available but uncommon parts are not readily available; need to wait for a week or two for those.
2. Parts are expensive (but very reliable at the same time hence not susceptible to frequent replacements either) if you compare to the Fortuner and other SUVs in the segment but a lot cheaper than the germans (again comparing here because it provides quiet similar luxury/user experience as the germans)
3. Being a less successful car, resale value is poor but this will turn out to be a benefit during your purchase.
4. Doesnt have intimidating road presence like fortuner, endeavour or even your Thar, but personally i like it's sophisticated and discrete looks.

So to conclude, i will say it depends on your preferences:

1. Reliable, readily available parts, cheaper to maintain, relatively expensive to acquire - Fortuner
But you will have to live with harsh ride, no luxury/convenience features, poor handling (body on frame) and overall truck like crude experience, etc.

2. Luxury SUV experience with all the Pros mentioned above, a versatile vehicle which can do it all in style, comfort and safety - Koleos
But, at the cost of Cons mentioned above.

I dont recommend previous generation Endeavour 4x4 AT, as it is too truck like, expensive to operate with low fuel efficiency and its neither here or there.

Your requirement of diesel 4X4 AT doesnt leave you with many options here, but if you can live without either AT or 4X4, Hexa is the ideal choice.

If you decide to go for the Koleos, drop me a PM as i might be selling mine soon...

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 8th December 2018 at 19:33.
46TheDoctor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 20:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Koleos owners and former Koleos owners please do weigh in and help with your advice!

My options currently

1. Used Fortuner AT 4x4 2013 onwards - too large, and the second market is overpriced I think.

2. Used Endeavour AT 4x4 2013 onwards - decently priced used ones, but too barebones and too long for narrow hill roads

3. Koleos 2013 AT 4x4 - decently priced, but parts can be a nightmare I heard

I really do like the Koleos for its size and feature set over the TFort and the Endy, can Koleos owners share their experience and tell me the downsides of getting a used one?

Also, I considered the Scorpio too but I just don't like the ride quality and its tight interior space.

My requirement is nothing urgent, I plan to ride out the winters and the snow with the Thar, and would only do a change sometime spring of 2019, are there any upcoming launches with an AWD and an auto transmission under 15-16 lacs that one needs to watch out for?

Any reason you are not considering a Nissan X-trail auto??

To the best of my knowledge the car was sold in auto tranny and it comes with 4*4 as well. The local chandigarh dealer is pretty decent (a rarity!) and should be able to support you well.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 9th December 2018, 12:44   #11
Team-BHP Support

The Koleos is a good high speed cruiser but the turbo lag and terrible gear box do not make the cut. It is dated and parts will be a nightmare. Avoid unless you are looking for a beater.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 21:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The Koleos is a good high speed cruiser but the turbo lag and terrible gear box do not make the cut. It is dated and parts will be a nightmare. Avoid unless you are looking for a beater.
As a Koleos owner i would like to disagree over a few points here.
1. The car is extremely underrated compared to what it offers.
2. Yes the turbo lag is there but in AT car it's not as much of a problem as in a MT. Yes the automatic gear box isnt fast either like the current market options but the acceleration is in the same leagues (if not better) as the previous generations of fortuner and endeavour which are the OP's other choices here.
3. Yes it is little expensive to maintain, i have done 1,30,000 km till now and my upkeep costs are as follows (always maintained at authorized workshops):
A. Regular services at 10k intervals : Rs 15-20k
B. Major services at 60k intervals : Rs 35-40k
C. Brake Pads (for all 4 discs) : approx. 23k for a set
D. Entire suspension replacement including the subframe: approx Rs 2L (i did at around 1L km odo to restore it to
original ride quality which is just great)
But, given the kind of luxury and versatility it offers, i dont feel too much pinch to shell out that much money. Like i
jokingly said in my previous post, the car is like a poor man's Q5 with a ride quality even better than a Q5!
4. Non service/accidental repair parts take 1-2 weeks to arrive here in Pune. Not sure what is the scene at OP's location. Technical competency of Pune workshops also has been good so far.
5. I find my car to be very reliable and robust compared to the other non japanese/expensive options. Built quality and engineering feels good enough to go for another few lakh kilometers with regular maintenance for wear and tear. Only unexpected break downs that my car had was A. When few of the automatic gearbox sensors needed to be replaced (due to which car used to shift into safe mode/ limp mode but never got me stranded on road even once) which took a couple of weeks to arrive at the workshop B. AC compressor stopped working which i got fixed at a AC repair agency for a fraction of the replacement costs.

As i have said in my previous post, the Hexa is the best bet for OP if he can let go of either AT or 4X4, but otherwise Koleos 4X4 AT is worth considering (especially due to bargain prices it goes for in a used car market) over his other shortlisted options keeping in mind all the pros and cons that are mentioned previously.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 12:47   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
2. Yes the turbo lag is there but in AT car it's not as much of a problem as in a MT. Yes the automatic gear box isnt fast either like the current market options
I guess we need to agree that we disagree. My impressions during the our official test drive can be found here (Test Drive: 2014 Renault Koleos Facelift)
Old 14th December 2018, 23:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I guess we need to agree that we disagree. My impressions during the our official test drive can be found here (Test Drive: 2014 Renault Koleos Facelift)
And now i see the reason why....

Facelifted Koleos 4X4 AT (2014) gets a bump in power to 170+ PS at the cost of bigger turbolag. My car is pre facelift (2012) with 150 PS and doesnt have as much turbo lag as the facelifted version.
Old 19th December 2018, 23:59   #15
BHPian

Hello HillyThar,

I was about to post the same query about Renault Koleos.

At present, I own a Nissan Terrano manual transmission and very satisfied with it. However my left leg is not so happy with Terrano in Bangalore traffic, so I have to move to an automatic and this time a pre-owned as I may get bored anytime.

I was impressed by Koleo's quirky unique looks, just about right size for city, 4x4 AT, safety features, excellent ride quality and the host of other features it offers.

It was priced close to 30L at Bangalore and now pre-owned ones are available for less than 10L for 2011 models.

I did some preliminary inquiries, I was told to keep away due to below reasons:

- Cost for a typical service is Rs.25000 for every 10000 kms
- High cost of spares (comparable to BMW X1 and AUDI Q3- why not X1/Q3 then)
- Long wait for spares
- Mostly no takers after II owner

So I almost dropped Koleos with a heavy heart.

But what next, I don't want a 4x4 AT but an automatic SUV with decent size with good safety features is all I need. My budget is ~8L for a pre-owned one.

I love Honda JAZZ CVT (Orange color), it gives a special feel, but worried about ground clearance. Ecosport AT is not bad either. Duster is a bare bone truck.

Mitsu Outlander and Honda CRV are great lookers, but mileage kills.

I don't want Marutis (No offence).

What options do I have?

Last edited by hummer : 20th December 2018 at 00:04.
hummer is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks