Team-BHP - The definitive full-size 7-seater Premium SUV shootout
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   The definitive full-size 7-seater Premium SUV shootout (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/206124-definitive-full-size-7-seater-premium-suv-shootout-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nozzlering (Post 4603530)
Now its a tussle between head and heart. While the head says go for MUX. Buy a reliable one and Save money.The heart says nothing but Endeavour 3.2.

If it would have been between Fortuner and Endeavour I would have not replied as anyone of them will do justice with the money spent. If you talk about reliability factor then I don't see any issues with Ford either. There are members in our WA group who covered more than 1lakh kilometers without any issues. Just because Isuzu is a Japanese brand that doesn't mean you will get the same quality or to be specific the same service like Toyota.

I would not put my money on Isuzu as it doesn't have any bling factor or strong service network. If you really want to consider this segment I will advice you to stick to either Ford or Toyota. You can also check out Mahindra Alturas that might also save you some amount and Mahindra's service network might be better than Isuzu.

One last point since your family loved the sunroof while test drive why do you want to opt out and loose the panoramic view. I haven't heard of any issues with Sunroof so far and it is the most coveted feature for many in Endeavour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nozzlering (Post 4603530)
Wow. .

Now its a tussle between head and heart. While the head says go for MUX. Buy a reliable one and Save money.The heart says nothing but Endeavour 3.2.

The Endeavour is a great truck and despite it's asking price its good value for what you get. I understand the pull that the black Jap has on you and I wouldn't write it off either. It's a workhorse suv that's no nonsense and the most spacious among the lot.
+Space
+Ride I felt was super sorted
+clean ergonomic layout of controls
+Exclusivity (unintended advantage )
+Bulletproof engine plus mechanicals
+Offroads like an honest tractor

But it's dangerously close(err relatively) to the 3.2 in sticker price and offers very little kit for that and accords some stepmotherly treatment to the Indian variant

(Unless of course you are getting some fat cuts on the isuzu then you need to sit and ask yourself some hard questions because despite all rumours and /or truths about JV etc the fords value proposition is finally cementing sales and the company is maintaining demand supply balance finely so I doubt possibilities of serious discounts on the endeavour)

so though standing alone its not without it's merits, it pales against the Ford and Toyota on their respective strengths.

I assume looking at your lineup of considerations that the sophistication of the kodiaq doesn't appeal to your taste/requirement of heavy ladders. Else, I would have also urged you to look beyond the 150bhp engine excuse and seat the family in the VAG 7seater. That's a crisp car!

O.t: I have a gut feeling you'll be finally plonking bucks on that blue oval. ;P

My SUV purchase plan has deferred by atleast 6 months. So Its not happening before December 2019. Disappointed, but on a positive note, I may have better options in December or January. Harrier 7 seater is coming, but doesnt impress me. If by that time MUX makes the necessary upgrades, I will go for MUX. Else Endeavour seems more VFM.

I am in the market for a good Diesel Automatic SUV in replacement on my Toyota Fortuner (2009). Not too keen on the new Fortuner and the Endeavour because of the size.

With the CR-V discounts nearly touching 5L it looks like a very tempting deal. Just wanted to check the real world feedback from BHP'ians who are currently owning the Diesel CR-V. Also any clue why the Sales for the CR-V are so low inspite of reviews stating that it is a good car? Is price the only factor or is there something I am missing.

I had voted for Ford Endeavour when this poll started. But when it came to putting down my money, I chose Isuzu MU-X. I might have still gone with Endeavour if it was not for 9-11 lakhs on-road price difference between the two products in Andhra Pradesh. This is even before I consider the add-ons that are needed for Ford like extended warranty, maintenance package etc. I was getting MU-X for less than 30L on-road, and I did not feel Endeavour was worth the difference. I didn't even test drive the ford. I just test drove MU-X, and it was good enough for me.

After travelling 1500 kms over the weekend (Hyderabad to Lonavla and back) with four other adults and their long weekend baggage, I can say that my decision to buy MU-X is not wrong. The fifth adult in our group is short in height (may be 5'4") and preferred third row seat instead of the middle seat in second row. The feedback from the group was that the seating is supremely comfortable in all three rows, both at high speeds (120-140 kmph) and over broken roads. Acceleration is good for my driving style (neither too aggressive nor too slow) and car reaches cruising speeds (80-120 kmph) without much effort. Handling was predictable for a big suv, and I have no qualms on how the car behaved when carrying decent speeds (80-100 kmph) into highway corners. My only complain is that the engine makes too much noise during acceleration and shows some hesitation when accelerating from 0 to 40 kmph. Did I miss the 6th gear? Yes, for the few times that I was cruising at 120 kmph, and felt RPMs could have been lower; but majority of the drive, I was perfectly fine with the 5-speed gear box, and really liked that there is no lag when accelerating from 60/70 kmph to 120 kmph.

I do miss some niceties in MU-X like parking sensors, auto-dimming mirrors, memory seats, reverse-tilting mirrors, advanced infotainment etc. Wish Isuzu added more kit to make a very good product more competitive on paper. My wife rejected the car on paper when she heard that it didn't have many comfort features but she was fine once she saw the car in person. She is happy with the car after travelling in it over the weekend and now thinks those missing features didn't really bother her much. I plan to add an Chinese (sigh!! but both of us want oem look) android music system and parking sensors, and call it a day.

Near & dear did suggest CR-V AWD Diesel with recent discounts on offer but the on-road price (about 33L) was still higher than MU-X and I could not warm up to the drive train on offer (120bhp 1.6L engine with questionable ZF9 transmission).

Fortuner & Alturas were never in contention. Fortuner was costing about same as Endeavour, and I was clear that I would choose the ford at that price. Alturas was costing little less than the Ford but that price difference (3-4 lakhs) would have been ignored if it really came down to Mahindra vs Ford.

Hello TeamBHPians,
This is my first thread in this forum concerning my choices for an MT SUV(7 seater). Respected Moderator, please correct me if you find any errors.

To give you all a quick background, I have been driving(actually I have a driver) a Mahindra XUV 5oo since April 2015 and this VFM SUV has served me well(of course with the niggles) in the last 5 years. I have learnt to live with the niggles till I own this SUV. It has done about 1,25,000 kms on the ODO. Apart from the regular servicing, I have replaced the original tyres at 1,10,000 kms, the front windshield was replaced thrice due to cracks from flying stones on highways and the AC fan was replaced in this week. The battery is still from the company :D. But I can notice off late that it might need replacement shortly. In the last 4.5 years, one thing I have noticed about this SUV is its average ride quality, especially on bumpy or broken tarmacs. I have never done off-roading. It kind of throws me off when driven at slow speeds too on bumpy surface. I have noticed my owners have complained about this. I have resigned to the fact that probably this is the best I can expect from this SUV. Apart from the product quality, I am totally disappointed with Mahindra's ASS. They still have some way to go when it comes to handling their most product premium product and its owner(if you leave out the Alturas).

Anyhow, I have now decided to replace this SUV while its still in good condition. And for readers who would like to know, 90% of my commute will be on the highway (NH4 - To & fro Blore to Vasantnarsapura(after Tumkur) - about 200 kms for about 3/4 days a week). My primary requirements are as below:-

1. Most importantly it has to be a Manual Transmission(at least 6 speed) with >2.5 litre engine. And again why an "MT only" is because technically I don't think I need an AT on highways and secondly I get acute right knee pain while driving an AT. We have discussed this on another thread about knee pains with AT. Also just a couple of days back I did a round trip in a Baleno AT from Blore to Vellore to bring my son who is studying at VIT. All through out my driver drove and I was noticing that he was kind of massaging his right knee from time to time. After we returned, I casually asked him if he would prefer to drive a new SUV AT. He folded his hand and said NO lol:.
2. It has to be a proper 7 seater SUV.
3. Plush ride quality(I know I cant expect car like).
4. Creature comforts can be compromised but not safety features.
5. Reliable ASS and excellent re-sale value after 5 years.
6. Under Rs.35~38 lacs on road.

I have narrowed down my choices with my initial opinions about them:-

1. Toyota Fortuner - 2.8 MT
This looks to be the best choice considering the MT in a powerfull engine.

2. Ford Endeavour - 2.2 MT
I have serious doubts about the 2.2 engine for a beast of this size. My XUV is 2.2 and sometimes feels under powered on highways after 120kmph. Baffling to note that they do not have an MT in the 3.2.

3. Alturas G4 - 2.2
Same doubts as above and NO MT. Its baffling again.

4. Isuzu MUX
I don't know what to say but NO MT.

5. Mitsubishi Pajero MT
Scary option plus just a 5 speed MT. Not good for FE on highways.

6. Mistubishi Outlander
Somebody help me here, but again NO MT(please correct me if I am wrong) and that too its a CVT which I hate.

7. Skoda Kodiaq.
Its again a 2.0 TDI AT. Missing my most important requirements.

I would request fellow TeamBHPians to offer your comments/opinions.

Thanking you all in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pkumarblore (Post 4655954)

Hey welcome to the forum & see you around. First of all - kudos on the OEM battery of your XUV5oo still living on at 1.25L kms!

In the list of cars that you have mentioned, the Fortuner 2.8 indeed is the best bet considering you want an MT. If AT was an option, I'd go for the Kodiaq for its finesse & quality. Ride is far superior too.

Totally out of your list & cheaper than your current budget bar, why not consider a Tata HEXA? Its price doesn't say so, but it is extremely premium inside out. Is a PROPER 7 seater + large luggage vehicle. Has MT that you want. Is solidly built. Has an AWD option also. Comes with a music system that is superior to the other cars in your list by some margin (sound quality).

And - beyond doubt it offers a more comfortable and hovercraft like ride compared to those in your list. You'll infact get a very good deal on it too right now. Agreed it comes with a 2.2 engine - but I don't feel its under powered for those highway runs. Its quite agile with 400Nm torque. I suggest you test drive it just for fun & then take the plunge for a Furtuner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4655960)

Totally out of your list & cheaper than your current budget bar, why not consider a Tata HEXA? .

Thanks. About the battery life on my 5oo, i guess its due to the 95% highway driving - so a continous charge. About the Tata Hexa, frankly I never thought about it. I'll give it a try.

Quote:

Hello TeamBHPians,

Thanking you all in advance.

You can also wait for the new TATA Cassini/Buzzard which is expected to launch early next year. It should take care of most of your requirements if not all.

I know buying a first generation TATA can be a gamble, but if TATA manages to come up with a sorted product after getting and addressing all the feedback from Harrier then it should serve you well.

Quote:

This is my first thread in this forum concerning my choices for an MT SUV(7 seater).
90% of my commute will be on the highway (NH4 - To & fro Blore to Vasantnarsapura(after Tumkur) - about 200 kms for about 3/4 days a week). My primary requirements are as below:-

1. Most importantly it has to be a Manual Transmission(at least 6 speed)
2. It has to be a proper 7 seater SUV.
3. Plush ride quality(I know I cant expect car like).
4. Creature comforts can be compromised but not safety features.
5. Reliable ASS and excellent re-sale value after 5 years.

PKumar, welcome to the forum.

You have not mentioned the importance of Brand/ Model Image anywhere so if you are not fussy about SUV image, don't look any further than Innova. Nothing beats, Innova on the requirements you have mentioned. Up here in North, many guys associate Innova with Taxi so many guys pick Fortuner over Innova even if they have to travel on the rear bench. Do check Auto Inova as well, It won't be same like a smaller car ( from personal experience)

Fortuner is still Ok for rear seat but Endeavour very hard and both are a NO as a 7 seater. Go ahead with a test drive of Auto and manual Captain seat Innova.

Quote:

Hello TeamBHPians,
All through out my driver drove and I was noticing that he was kind of massaging his right knee from time to time. After we returned, I casually asked him if he would prefer to drive a new SUV AT. He folded his hand and said NO .

The irrelevant Part: My family ( Me, wife & 75 y.o father) have been using Auto transmissions ( mostly Honda TC's & CVT's) since 2013 and our knees are fine. What I have observed with a lot of people, even my Drivers ( when new) is that they adjust the seat to the same setting as one would do with a Manual tranny. What they forget is that there is no clutch to depress completely, thus no need for a snug fitting seat adjustment. I am 5.6, wife 5.4 and dad 5.6 and our seat are stretched all the way till the back. The idea is to just use 1/4th foot to use the accelerator or the brake. My foot is always extended completely, thus no bent in the knee at any time.

The relevant part: The Innova seems like a good option to consider.If you don't want MUV's, then a Fortuner should be it. I don't suggest Tata's or Mahindra's, as I am Japanese biased. lol:

The answer to your question in the Tata Hexa. Big, brawny, super comfortable, abuse friendly and well within your budget. Get yourself a top end XT 4x4 and enjoy years of happy MT motoring.

I think you're basing your requirements based on your chauffeur's feedback which may or may not be good. Why is Toyota Innova not there on your list when your budget is ₹ 35-38L. It's the best MUV and it has the plush ride you've asked for. You can also include the new Ertiga with 1.5 DDiS MT. It also will suit your requirements.

Quote:

Hello TeamBHPians,
This is my first thread in this forum concerning my choices for an MT SUV(7 seater). Respected Moderator, please correct me if you find any errors.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I agree with reinhard that he has recommended the Hexa to you. In fact it meets all your criteria 1-6 only thing I am not sure about is how is Tata's aftersales service in Bangalore.

I personally own Hexa XT 4×2 and it has been a pleasurable 30k kms for the last 2 years. Plus with current discounts on offer you can easily get one well below 20 lakh rupees. So my suggestion would be to just go ahead and take a test drive. I bet you will fall in love with the beast. Also don't forget to take the extended warranty.

If you have any other queries you can PM me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4655992)
PKumar, welcome to the forum.

Up here in North, many guys associate Innova with Taxi

Well, its the same here in down south. So an uneasy tag to live with. Otherwise Innova suits my purposes. Thanks anyways.