Team-BHP - The definitive full-size 7-seater Premium SUV shootout
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   The definitive full-size 7-seater Premium SUV shootout (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/206124-definitive-full-size-7-seater-premium-suv-shootout-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durango Dude (Post 4656015)
I think you're basing your requirements based on your chauffeur's feedback which may or may not be good. Why is Toyota Innova not there on your list when your budget is ₹ 35-38L. It's the best MUV and it has the plush ride you've asked for. You can also include the new Ertiga with 1.5 DDiS MT. It also will suit your requirements.

Thanks for your feedback.
And regarding my feedback about AT transmission, its not based on my driver's feedback. My wife owns an i10 AT and I used to own Skoda Rapid AT during 2014. So I have pretty good experience with AT's and the knee pain I am associated with AT's. Please dont me wrong, AT's may be doing a perfect job for you, but I guess there are some like me who have issues while driving AT. Sometime back there was a thread on this and a few have similar opinion as mine. Regarding the Innova, its a good choice but for the taxi image I would have bought it earlier too instead of the XUV. Nothing much has changed even now I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pkumarblore (Post 4656075)
And regarding my feedback about AT transmission, its not based on my driver's feedback. My wife owns an i10 AT and I used to own Skoda Rapid AT during 2014. So I have pretty good experience with AT's and the knee pain I am associated with AT's. Please dont me wrong, AT's may be doing a perfect job for you, but I guess there are some like me who have issues while driving AT. Sometime back there was a thread on this and a few have similar opinion as mine. Regarding the Innova, its a good choice but for the taxi image I would have bought it earlier too instead of the XUV. Nothing much has changed even now I guess.

I think it's the first time I've heard a person say that driving an AT gives you pain in the knee: this can happen (as another person had mentioned) when the driver's seat pushed right to the front. I've been driving manuals from 1988 (started with an Amby) till 2015:my son bought an Hyundai Grand i10 AT; I was actually shopping for a manual just like you when the new Honda City was launched and one TD of the CVT was all I required to change my mind and have never regretted it. I still have my 14 year old Elantra which is a manual which I take out occasionally sure it gives me a fantastic satisfaction driving it: but in a grid locked traffic AT's are the way to go. But hey, to each his own. Happy driving to you! Innova: Taxi image you must be kidding: Innova is one MUV that has transcended that image and is equally by taxi fleet and affluent households.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pkumarblore (Post 4656075)
Sometime back there was a thread on this and a few have similar opinion as mine. Regarding the Innova, its a good choice but for the taxi image I would have bought it earlier too instead of the XUV. Nothing much has changed even now I guess.

I tried searching for that thread but couldn't find it. That could probably help in finding out why you find an MT more comfortable. If it's performance you are after and you love to drive manuals because of that, it makes sense to go for an MT. Though, these days, ATs are as good as MTs with quick shifts, matching number of gears, if not more, and paddle shifters. IMO, your right leg has almost the same amount of work whether you are driving an AT or an MT. May be your posture could be slightly different while driving an AT leaving your left leg to do what it wants. If you use the dead pedal, things might be different. When traffic is moving at snail's pace, like it always does in places like Bangalore, an AT is a boon and your left leg will thank you every day. Right leg not so much cause it has to do the same amount of work.

I know you have made your choice. But since you have put up your question in this forum, I would suggest you do a rethink and test drive one of the big ATs. Take a longish test drive. It could, may be change your views on ATs.

The Innova is a good, powerful, very comfortable and over priced car. There are numerous Innovas running on white plates. Some people may not like it's van like look.

@Pkumarblore,
I too owned the XUV MT for 4.5 years and drove mostly on highways and except the low speed ride quality & lack of space with 7 seats up, the car was perfect in every way.
This year I have upgraded to Endeavour 3.2 and its has been simply perfect.
Can take any roads with utmost comfort and is really powerful on the highways. Its probably the best all rounder premium SUV <60L today. And believe me, shifting to AT after driving MT all my life has been only positive experience, be it city or highway.
I get no knee pain or strain driving the AT and as others mentioned, do have a check on your driving posture.

But if you still want an MT, Hexa or Innova would both be great choice and VFM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCORPION (Post 4656358)
I tried searching for that thread but couldn't find it. That could probably help in finding out why you find an MT more comfortable..May be your posture could be slightly different while driving an AT leaving your left leg to do what it wants. If you use the dead pedal, things might be different. When traffic is moving at snail's pace, like it always does in places like Bangalore, an AT is a boon and your left leg will thank you every day. Right leg not so much cause it has to do the same amount of work.

I know you have made your choice. But since you have put up your question in this forum, I would suggest you do a rethink and test drive one of the big ATs. Take a longish test drive. It could, may be change your views on ATs.

The Innova is a good, powerful, very comfortable and over priced car. There are numerous Innovas running on white plates. Some people may not like it's van like look.

Thanks for your feedback. I have found the link. Its below:-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...sponsible.html
As I have said earlier, its probably just me having this knee issue with AT's. During grid locked traffic, I actually use my left leg to set the car in motion with the clutch and use the right leg just for braking. But with the AT, the constant shift between A and B pedals puts stress on my knees and after some time starts to pain. This is my problem(the constant shifting). My wife owns an i10 AT, which I occassionally drive in the city, and trust me, all I need is a 30-45 mins drive to start a mild pain in the knee. I can aggravate it by driving for some more time and for a few more days.
And as regards to Innova, I meant no offence to the owners of Innova or the car itself, it is no-doubt a very great practical MUV. Its just that I don't like the van type shape and its image as a premium passenger mover.
This morning I took the Fortuner MT on a test drive for about 60 kms. Apart from other things, I did not notice a significant improvement in ride quality from my XUV 5oo. So I now need to test drive the Endeavour 2.2 MT.
Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aniket6 (Post 4656578)
Can take any roads with utmost comfort and is really powerful on the highways. Its probably the best all rounder premium SUV <60L today. And believe me, shifting to AT after driving MT all my life has been only positive experience, be it city or highway.
I get no knee pain or strain driving the AT and as others mentioned, do have a check on your driving posture.

But if you still want an MT, Hexa or Innova would both be great choice and VFM.

Thanks Sir. I shall TD the FE in this week or next. I'll do the MT first and then AT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nazeer_ahamed (Post 4656586)
This morning I took the Fortuner MT on a test drive for about 60 kms. Apart from other things, I did not notice a significant improvement in ride quality from my XUV 5oo. So I now need to test drive the Endeavour 2.2 MT.
Thanks again.

I completely agree with you that low speed ride quality in Fortuner feels almost same as XUV, one of the top reasons I rejected it. Feels too stiff and everything gets filtered to cabin at low speed.
However, this make it a good handler at high speeds.

After driving XUV, Endeavour 2.2 could feel really boring.
Anyway good luck.

Posted this earlier on the Alturas thread, but got no response. Anybody on this thread have any responses?

---

The international reviews of the Alturas/Rexton seem much more positive about its off-road capabilities than the Indian reviews, for some reason.

This one, quoted below, from Australia, talks about the Rexton having the Eaton's automatic MLocker rear-diff. Does the Alturas have the same set-up, or is it different in the Indian version? Does anybody know?

"SsangYong is proud of its body-on-frame SUV heritage, and that is staying true with the Rexton. It has all of the important 4WD underpinnings, like a part-time 4WD system and low range. The rear differential is Eaton’s automatic MLocker, which will automatically lock up the rear end when there is more than 100rpm of variation between each wheel. It works pretty well off-road, clicking into action relatively quickly to ease wheelspin and keep you moving."

Link: https://www.caradvice.com.au/709211/...rexton-review/

Can't really go wrong with any of the cars in the list except the Outlander. Each has it's strengths and have seen very happy Fortuner owners, Endeavour owners and MUX owners too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aniket6 (Post 4656737)
I completely agree with you that low speed ride quality in Fortuner feels almost same as XUV, one of the top reasons I rejected it. Feels too stiff and everything gets filtered to cabin at low speed.
However, this make it a good handler at high speeds.

Anyway good luck.

And the Fortuner misses out on some basic features for that price like no sun roof, gear indicator, conversation mirror, auto dimmer on ivrm, flawed ergonomics on arm rest(i was resting my arm on the gear knob all through out my TD) and the annoying vibrations on the gear lever. I felt it is simply overpriced.

Surely, the Endeavour 2.2 MT was a boring TD drive. Especially the jerk the SUV gave every time I pressed the clutch to engage the next higher gear. Felt underpowered and there was a lot of lag in the 2nd gear. Came out of the TD totally unimpressed. I'll probably drive the 3.2 AT and check.
But what is astonishing is that none of the SA's (Toyota and FORD) have called me even once after the TD to check for an update. Probably selling too many. They were supposed to be coming back to me with "good" prices. I am still waiting!!:D
Next week I shall TD the Alturas. I sat in the TD car with the engine ON for about 15 mins. Looks and feels posh inside, don't know how she drives.
Thanks anyways.

Endeavour 3.2 should bring in a bit of tech: ventilated seats, a larger infotainment screen with 3D camera, and most importantly an electric parking brake. Then it's a perfect buy in this segment.

NOTE FROM SUPPORT - Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. ANHC, T-Fort, ANHV, Endy) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Any further usage of acronyms will invite Moderator action on your account.

Thanks!

This is one of the bucket list items for me- a full blown 4x4 before the green brigade takes over. Amongst all the reports, I'd put the MUX, Endeavour and Fortuner amongst my top-3. The Isuzu MUX seems to be the real deal in terms of actual off-road capability.
The Endeavour for all its huge size, is not bigger than a C-segment sedan on the inside. With respect to Toyota Fortuner, one way to look at it is to consider it as a cost, but its actually an investment, considering its glacial rate of depreciation!

I understand that at the price of INR 35.44 Lakhs, the Isuzu MUX does not make sense in comparison to the Ford Endeavour 3.2 at INR 39.45 Lakhs.

BUT, I just checked today, and the 'On the Road Price' quoted to me for the Isuzu MUX 4x4 in Noida is Rs. 31.5 Lakhs, while for the Ford Endeavour 3.2, it is 40.5 Lakhs on the road in Noida.

Also, till December 2019, the MUX was being offered with 3 years / 50000 kms additional warranty on Powertrain, which the Company might extend to sell off the last remaining stock. This is over and above the 5 years / 1.5 Lakh Kms Standard Warranty and Standard Maintenance package that the MUX comes with, taking the Warranty on MUX to an unmatched 8 year / 2 Lakh Kms Warranty (at no extra price).

Now my queries:

1. At this price difference of 9 Lakhs, does MUX appear a good value buy? Especially considering it has the best 3rd row (relevant to me), more mod-friendly, lesser electronics-lesser niggles, and the best warranty on offer.

2. Assuming the BS-VI MUX to be launched by March-April 2020 comes with the 6 speed Auto Gearbox offered internationally and other features (including better ICE), even with the 4 Lakhs increase in price (as widely reported by the media quoting Company sources), it would still be about 9-10 Lakhs cheaper to the BS-VI Endeavour top-model, which would also be costlier by around 5 Lakhs (just my guess).

In which case, is it better to wait out the 2-3 months and see how it pans out or just buy the MUX now with 8-year warranty offer (which I am assuming they will offer)?

I am tilting towards waiting it out.

Please share views.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touringlawyer (Post 4723629)
At this price difference of 9 Lakhs, does MUX appear a good value buy?

Absolutely! MUX is the closest you can get to an old-school SUV available off the shelf today. Add to it the unmatched warranty of 8 years - which indicates the high levels of confidence ISUZU has in the product - the package is even more alluring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touringlawyer (Post 4723629)
I am tilting towards waiting it out

If I were you, I'd pick up the MUX at mouth-watering price of 31.x lac right away! Who knows what the future has in store. The BS6 version might be lower on power, the price hike could be much more than 4 lac, etc.