Skoda Kodiaq Style 2.0L TDi 4x4 DSG 38 11.55%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2020, 14:41   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: The definitive full-size 7-seater Premium SUV shootout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post

BUT, I just checked today, and the 'On the Road Price' quoted to me for the Isuzu MUX 4x4 in Noida is Rs. 31.5 Lakhs, while for the Ford Endeavour 3.2, it is 40.5 Lakhs on the road in Noida.

I am tilting towards waiting it out.

Please share views.
I will suggest to go for MUX right now 'make hay till sun shines'.
Those additions to upcoming model of MUX are really deal breaker? i dont think so.
Plus the amount you are going to save in price difference is not a small amount.
Isuzus are really tough vehicles to break. fill it, shut it and forget it.
A simple no nonsense Japanese technology. You cant go wrong with this vehicle.
Shubhendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 22:31   #77
BHPian

I am BS-IV MU-X 4x4 owner with just 10k completed on ODO. Of these 10k kms, almost 7-8k are on highways. If your usage is primarily highways, may it be pleasure or work, I don't think there is more bang for buck 7-seater SUV.

Most team-bhpians may disagree when they compare "listed" price with features offered. But but but most team-bhpians ignore the discounts offered by Isuzu. If you are looking for no nonsense SUV with fill it Shut it attitude, this is best SUV. Mind you, it will not give you any bragging rights compared to ford endeavour 3.2 titanium plus but then you are literally getting 85-95% of car for 75% of money (30L vs 40L). Compared to any other car in its class including ford 2.2 and fortuner, you are just saving considerable amount on an equivalent car! Some may say whats the difference when you are spending 30L but heck you can buy a VW polo GT with left over amount!!

Does 6-speed matter - absolutely not, at least to me. For whatever its worth, I have owned many ATs from a 4-speed to a 9-speed to an EV in the US. So I can may be (humbly) claim that I know my ATs. And to me, MU-X 5-speed is perfectly mated to the 3-liter. There is no hesitation in any gear at any speed.

Does many missing features matter - this is tricky question. And I think only the owner of a specific car can answer it.
For me they don't matter because I primarily think from ease of ownership and longevity. But i have seen many people (including my wife) who think features are more important than say reliability.

So its question of that 15-5% of the car vs 25% additional cost. And only the person who is putting the money can answer it. For me, I would think why would people spend 1C on a Mercedes GLS (cos I cant afford it) when its no better than a Endeavour 3.2L on indian road but there are clearly many people who think otherwise.

Edit: BS-IV vs BS-VI: I would say buy what ever is cheaper (in absolute terms) i.e. BS-IV. It is not like BS-VI cars are going to be smoother or more efficient or any other thing that would be financially beneficial from ownership perspective. BS-VI is needed from a society perspective (go-green yada yada) but its just additional burden on each individual pockets. So again go-green vs pocket friendly. Nothing else.

Last edited by Comrade : 3rd January 2020 at 22:42.
Comrade is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 11:14   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I am BS-IV MU-X 4x4 owner with just 10k completed on ODO
Thanks for sharing your perspective, Comrade I agree that MUX is arguably the most VFM full-size SUV available off the shelf today. Would you mind sharing details on the model, on-road price you paid, and of course some pics?

Edit: I have heard some concerns around turbo-lag at lower RPMs with the MUX. Any thoughts/feedback there?

Last edited by cool_dube : 4th January 2020 at 11:17.
Old 4th January 2020, 13:20   #79
BHPian

I can't agree more to whatever you have said in your entire post, Comrade. And thanks a lot for sharing your perspective as an owner, especially one who has owned and driven ATs (because I have never owned or driven an AT before).

Quote:
but heck you can buy a VW polo GT with left over amount!!

Does many missing features matter - this is tricky question. And I think only the owner of a specific car can answer it.

And only the person who is putting the money can answer it.

I had exactly these thoughts in my mind when deciding to go for MUX. Though I have not booked the Car yet, I maybe doing it in the coming week. The offer from another dealer has become even better. Now I am being offered INR 30.8 Lakhs, On-road Price in Noida, which is almost 10 Lakhs less to the Endeavour 3.2. If I choose to go for their display model, the price become INR 30.3 Lakhs.

And as to my needs, the MUX has everything that I need. The additional bits which matter to me, and which are clear positives over Endeavour being:

1. Best in Class 3rd Row seats.

2. Warranty of 5 Years / 1.5 Lakh Kms overall plus Maintenance Package for 5 years where one pays only for "wear and tear parts" and even the Oil change is paid by ISUZU, which then makes the ownership costs very less as compared to the other SUVs in this category. An additional 3 Years / 50000 Kms Warranty on Power-train.

3. The underbody protection that MUX comes with. Subject to correction, I think no other car (definitely not the Ford) comes with this kind of protection.

4. Kitna deti hai - I know many say that this does not matter to a lot of buyers from this category. But for whatever its worth, it matters a bit to me. I am told the mileage of MUX in the City will always be in double digits i.e., over 10 and 12-13 on Highways. Even if this is not correct and the mileage is less than this, it won't be a deal-breaker for me, as the 10 Lakh advantage outweighs (to me) all the "extras" that the Ford 3.2 comes with. Can you share your perspective / experience on mileage here.
Old 4th January 2020, 13:32   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Can't really go wrong with any of the cars in the list except the Outlander. Each has it's strengths and have seen very happy Fortuner owners, Endeavour owners and MUX owners too.
On the other hand, I was seriously considering the Outlander
My ideal next car would be a 5+2 soft-roader (should have good on-road manners with some ability to take on bad roads), a petrol driven one which gives decent FE.
Mitsubishi cars are really well built and are reliable. Fact that the Outlander comes with an NA engine and a CVT makes it extremely interesting proposition in the long run.
Since I have lived with a pre-owned Chevy Forester (which is discontinued long back and the company has packed off) for 9 years, owning a new Outlander seems like a breeze!
Only problem is that the interior looks really dated and the car doesn't come with some of the latest gizmos.
Old 4th January 2020, 14:27   #81
Senior - BHPian

Have voted for the Ford Endeavour 3.2L 4x4 AT Titanium simply because I have it and it ticks all the boxes. Must say it's a pleasure to drive on highways, is a family car for touring and all good for occasional off roading. With the electronically assisted power steering, the steering feels very light in high traffic and hence no fatigue in driving this beast.
This vehicle will definitely win the voting poll here.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 15:04   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Would you mind sharing details on the model, on-road price you paid, and of course some pics?

Edit: I have heard some concerns around turbo-lag at lower RPMs with the MUX. Any thoughts/feedback there?
There aren't any variants on the MU-X. You just choose exterior color and 2WD/4WD. I chose white 4WD. On-road price in Andhra Pradesh was 29.4L in August before Isuzu announced the 2L discount & additional warranty on BSIV cars. I usually don't take pics of my cars. Sorry.

It does have some hesitation due to turbolag starting from standstill but I would not call it sluggish. I used to feel it initially, even noted in one of the posts on this thread. But I think I figured out the throttle input, and it doesn't bother me anymore after getting used to the car.

Quote:
I am told the mileage of MUX in the City will always be in double digits i.e., over 10 and 12-13 on Highways..... Can you share your perspective / experience on mileage here.
I think it's bit overstated by the overenthusiastic sales person. I get 8-9 kmpl in the city and 10-11 kmpl on the highway. My average efficiency stands at around 9.7 kmpl (as stated by car MID) after 10k kms.

Some more points to add:

Suspension: I find MU-X suspension to be very sorted on broken roads. Only other cars I have experienced for extended time are my dad's 1st gen Innova and Crysta. And everyone in the family finds MU-X suspension to be better than Crysta's.

Infotainment: MU-X's infotainment is very archiaic although the sound output is good. I primarily listen to music from a USB drive but this system was not at all to my satisfaction. I ordered a chinese android system from aliexpress, and did a DIY within first month to replace the infotainment. I kept stock backup cam functionality. I am happy with results.

Safety: The car is very family friendly including access to third row. I really like that this car has ISOFIX options for both my kids' car seats.

Service: I only had one visit to service center but the experience was NOT very "premium". I was only 30L SUV owner among tens of 10L commercial pickup truck drivers. Almost all Vcross and MUX vehicles were brought in by drivers and not by owners. So there was not even proper waiting room or coffee or water etc but those things didn't really matter to me. I just dropped off the car at service advisor and took a uber. I went back once the car was ready.

Last edited by Comrade : 4th January 2020 at 15:26.
Comrade is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 18:30   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
On the other hand, I was seriously considering the Outlander
Outlander is a gem of a car given your needs, especially since it is coming in as a CBU (topnotch quality) and with recent discounts, is good VFM. However, being a Mitsubishi owner myself, I can say for sure that authorized service is pathetic to say the least - greedy, unethical buggers just waiting to lynch customers!! While I have been able to successfully maintain my 8 yr old Pajero at a good FNG, I am sure you would not want to do that with a brand new Outlander So, please consider this aspect before taking a decision.

Quote:
Now I am being offered INR 30.8 Lakhs, On-road Price in Noida, which is almost 10 Lakhs less to the Endeavour 3.2. If I choose to go for their display model, the price become INR 30.3 Lakhs.
That is a real good deal. Just go for it if you have made up your mind for an MU-X. However, I'd suggest staying away from display models just to save 50k.

Quote:
There aren't any variants on the MU-X
Am aware. My bad - wanted to know the year

Quote:
It does have some hesitation due to turbolag starting from standstill but I would not call it sluggish
That is what I have heard as well. I wish they had an M/T option as well.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 18:03   #84
BHPian

Bumping up this thread a year from the original post.

The market slump notwithstanding, there have been an onslaught of SUV launches the past year. But the launches have been restricted to the meaty 5 seater segment with Kia hitting a home run on Seltos debut.

The only addition in the D2 premium SUV segment was perhaps the Scout variant from Skoda and the rest of the points in the thread remain relevant.

Interesting to note that the stocks of the pre BS6 variants have been sold off the shelves mostly leaving very little choice for those who played the waiting game a little too long.

Now the wait begins for the post BS6 era and lets see what it brings to our shores.
Old 3rd February 2020, 19:12   #85
BHPian

I voted for Fortuner because:
1. Endeavour 3.2 wont be available after march end and its not spacious on the inside especially for all seven occupants
2. The only serious complaint about the Fortuner is in ride quality department and lack of desirable features like sunroof and high quality ICE, otherwise the product doesnt disappoint anywhere. It has its usual strengths like Toyota realibility, after sales service and stellar resale value.
3. BS4 Isuzu MuX in its current specs is desirable if available at INR 30-31 Lakh OTR not beyond that.
4. 2020 Pajero sport would have been my first preference as it is feature packed as well as very comfy and overall best in class as per australian reviews but mitsubishi isnt interested in selling the car here it seems.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 3rd February 2020 at 19:15.
Old 9th December 2020, 19:50   #86
BHPian

Buying a used Depreciation disaster

Hi All,
So I'm planning to buy a pre-owned 7 seater in the next few months. As a quick background, I currently have a 2012 Manufactured Cedia select, which incidentally was the absolute last one Pethkar motors in Pune had, besides the test drive one.I got this under company car scheme, after a lot of resistance from everyone, including the leasing company, who was hell bent on making me take a Honda City.

As it stands, I managed to drive the Cedia into a ditch, near Satpura (entirely my fault) and had/have a tough time sourcing spares for it. All said, the car is exceptional, and plasters a smile every single time, while I do not use a car regularly (45K in 7 years all on long trips) and was using Activa/Motorcycle/Uber for inter city due to laziness and was renting from Orix/Girikand for road trips.

This was a nice place to be in, having a fun to drive car when I felt like, getting well maintained Crysta/Fortuner for the road trips through self drive rentals, but as they say good times aren't for ever. Ever since the 80KMPH speed limit for non white number plates came, getting harder and harder to rent self drives. In Pune, Orix has one Automatic Crysta w/o limiter and Girikand has one Manual fortuner, with 1.5L km without the limiter. They are probably taking this car off by end of this FY.

Based on this, It seems like I will have to bite the bullet and get a larger car. What I'm looking for is Reliability, availability of spares, space. And Cost. I've been researching for a while now and have shortlisted these

1) Mitsubishi Pajero Sport (MT): This is probably the most controversial on the list as there is no official support from Mitsu. However, I'm interacting with a FNG in Pune (Pitstop Garage, Wadgaonsheri) who says he can source OEM for Pajero Sport for next 6/7 years. Asked him to source a few for my Cedia and he managed to get them (Rear suspension, and of all things the cable to open the fuel lid). Currently I'm in Thrisshur, Central Motor Works (mentioned in one of the threads for tastefully modifying a Thar long back)owner too mentioned PS spares are comparatively easier to source.

2) Chevrolet Trailblazer: While I have a healthy skepticism for anything non Japanese, the Isuzu shared engine seems robust enough, spoke to one Chevy ASS in Kharadi, Pune and he had stock of the normal consumables. This is in the list purely due to its being a huge monster and acres of space and might get a good deal on one sourced from Delhi. Seems like a more boring version of Fortuner, but is cheapest of the lot for the vintage (2016) and more than fulfills other requirements.

3) Honda CR-V: Most logical one of the lot, but I'd prefer a 7 seater and a PS.

Cars not Considered:
1) Innova Crysta: Might as well plough in a few lakhs more and get a brand new one. Even petrol ones seem to be beyond made up stuff like depreciation.
2) Old Gen Fortuner: Same as above, plus unlike innova, 2WD Manual Fortuner is exceptionally boring to drive, have driven this car extensively via
self hire from Girikand. But somehow, driving a Fortuner for 900KM one side/day road trips (which is what I do) doesn't seem exciting, unlike doing the same on a PS Manual.
3) Mitsubishi Outlander: This would probably be a sure ticket to divorce.
4) All Indian manufacturers (Tata/Mahindra/Maruti): This is the first time I'm buying a pre owned vehicle, and not going to take more risks with these. Had hired a Marazzo/XUV500/Hexa on self drives 1 time each and will never do so again, each had its own issues and these are not the type of vehicles I'd ever be comfortable owning.

This vehicle would be used only for long distances, so I don't really care about in-city behavior. Hell, I don't even use Cedia for inside City drives.

Based on this, I hope to get inputs from all the forum members and help me out!

Note to Mods: Please do let me know if there are any changes to be made in the post. This is my first thread. Searched the site for anyone having a used Pajero Sport, but couldn't find any. Or a ownership for Chevy Trailblazer
Old 10th December 2020, 09:17   #87
BHPian

Re: Buying a used Depreciation disaster

Inspite of reading point 4 in your post, I would ask you to consider Alturas G4 as its more Korean than Indian.
With the news of plug being pulled on Alturas G4, the not so strong resale value of it will come take a hit.
Your first 2 points indicate that you are okay with discontinued model and sourcing it from another state, you should find some good ones.
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 10:04   #88
BHPian

[
Quote:
I would ask you to consider Alturas G4 as its more Korean than Indian.
With the news of plug being pulled on Alturas G4
That's what good news sounds like. Didn't know about this at all and had not shortlisted Alturas as the price quoted was in same territory as Old Gen Fortuners , albeit of different vintages. Will add this to the list as well.
Old 23rd December 2020, 00:05   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Damodaran View Post
[

That's what good news sounds like. Didn't know about this at all and had not shortlisted Alturas as the price quoted was in same territory as Old Gen Fortuners , albeit of different vintages. Will add this to the list as well.
With the SsangYong bankruptcy, the available stock of G4s should go up for a bargain and bring the price down further. The Alturas is a highly underrated car as Ive explained in the OP. And at the right price it could be a steal.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 13:37   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
With the SsangYong bankruptcy, the available stock of G4s should go up for a bargain and bring the price down further. The Alturas is a highly underrated car as Ive explained in the OP. And at the right price it could be a steal.
Even with such pricing don't you think we should stay away from such vehicles. The problem with such cars is the after sales and services, in case of spares and part replacements it will take hell lot of time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks