Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Does it make sense to go with Renault Duster in 2019?
Yes 33 23.57%
No 58 41.43%
Better wait for next generation Duster 49 35.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2019, 08:11   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Does it make sense to buy Duster in 2019?

Are you a passionate driver? If yes, you can still buy Duster. The duster looks outdated because of front AC vents, dull looking head unit and a cheap speedo console. I lost on resale value in 2016 when selling my Duster, then tried other cars, finally ended up buying a Duster in 2018.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 08:13   #107
Team-BHP Support

If you want an AWD and off-roading would be a frequent use, the Duster is actually one of the best options out there in that price range. However, if AWD is not a requirement, the Duster doesn't quite have any significant advantages over peers; it does gobble up bad roads well, but not sure how it fares relative to the recent launches.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 08:24   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankjain16 View Post
All-wheel drive version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Better look at alternatives.
What alternatives are there in the 15L bracket for an AWD vehicle?

I am not suggesting to buy the Duster, its a very nice package [still], but its the way Renault appears to be doing business that is a put off, while it may not shut shop, but things aren't bright for the manufacturer.

# Isuzu V-Cross
# Tata Safari Storme or Mahindra Scorpio

Can't think of anything else, or the barge, Hexa. How I wish Harrier was there in AWD trim. Or if you can push and Jeep is generous with discounts, the 4X4 variant can be an option, but the GC isn't generous and the Trailhawk edition, which is not yet launched, will be priced closer to 25L. Wish Jeep realizes that they have a market if they aren't greedy and then there will be volumes.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 08:40   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
However, if AWD is not a requirement, the Duster doesn't quite have any significant advantages over peers; it does gobble up bad roads well, but not sure how it fares relative to the recent launches.
The recent launches in the 15L segment cannot match the Duster, can vouch for this from my recent long distance trips with my parents. They have travelled with me for more than 3.5K kilometers in a month across Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. Ride quality is Duster's biggest advantage. The service quality and spares availability has also improved.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 14:13   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What are your opinions? I would like to go with the Top model - All-wheel drive version.
The Duster might not look like value for money if you look at the interiors only, but overall as a package, it is still the best in that range. Parts should not be a problem as it is a global model and I don't think Renault is going to shut shop in India soon.
I drive a Bolero and Thar, so not the best person to talk about interiors. But I think Duster interiors are functional and age quite well if you can look beyond the bling that the competition provides. So yes, for me it still makes a lot of sense to buy the Duster AWD in 2019
BlackPearl is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 14:56   #111
Senior - BHPian

The Duster's weak point is its interiors. Its trump card is the magic carpet ride. None of the new gen posers can hold a handle to the Duster on this aspect. It all depends on where your priorities lie. If you want more features look at the Creta or Brezza. If ride comfort is your priority, there is nothing better than the Duster this side of the Hexa.

1) A very comfortable car for long drives. - Duster beats the others by a long margin.
2) Good ground clearance - Yes.
3) A capable offroader - Not a thoroughbred off roader, but yes gets 70% of the job done.
longhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 14:59   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It does look a really awesome package. Almost perfect for what I need:

1) A very comfortable car for long drives.
2) Good ground clearance
3) A capable offroader
If these are your requirements then go ahead and buy one. Don't worry about if it will be stopped. Like some mentioned, not only is it a global model but also there are a lot of Dusters on the road so parts won't be a problem since it is 98% localized.
You just don't have any other option in that price range.
Altocumulus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 16:39   #113
BHPian

The Duster is a very competent package mechanically, able to withstand a lot of abuse as has been pointed. Apart from what others have correctly pointed, the one area where the Duster loses out is its safety rating. If i recall correctly, Duster's body structure was rated as unstable.This in a million rupee car, is just not acceptable.

Others might say that the Duster's competitors have not been crash tested, I would say they are oudated as well. We buyers tend to go only by the look (interiors, sunroof) )and feel ignoring a lot of what cannot be seen (safety etc.) With the upcoming crash test norms, I would say, the Duster will be well and truly outdated. There is nothing wrong with buying an outdated car, provided you understand what you are buying !

But again, if you have a very specific set of requirements, which can only be fulfilled by the Duster and its AWD, dont hold back !
coldice4u is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 20:28   #114
BHPian

Voted Yes - Duster is definitely significant in today's world!

People who keep talking only about the "outdated interiors" should also remember the magical ride the Duster offers!

Engine: 1.5 dCi is a proven performer
AWD: Self explanatory
Spacious for 4 + luggage (like all competitors)
Enough Dusters on the road - parts will not be an issue anytime soon

When I picked up my Creta in 2017, I had considered the Duster seriously. However, since Automatic was priority 1 (for parents' use), had to let the Duster go with a heavy heart. The AMT was clearly inferior to the Creta's 6 speed torque converter unit.
Geo_Ipe is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 10:54   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Okay, previously I posted about option between Harrier and Hexa and some suggested trying Renault Duster.

It does look a really awesome package. Almost perfect for what I need:

1) A very comfortable car for long drives.
2) Good ground clearance
3) A capable offroader

From outside it still looks good to me. From inside, it's a bit outdated. Apart from looks, what bothers me is if it will last - since it is coming of age what can be said about its life, servicing, parts, etc.

The next generation Duster's launch is not confirmed so waiting for it may not be fruitful at this moment.

What are your opinions? I would like to go with the Top model - All-wheel drive version.
Harrier and Hexa are at a different level altogether. Duster in it's current form is best bought used, it's pricing even with discounts is a bit steep to pay for an outdated package in 2019.

The +

Excellent ride - You can go over just about any speed bump without needing to slow down and you won't even know it's there.
Handling - it's like a car, a good car, grippy on the corners and won't run wide even if the roads are bad.
Big boot - You can take your favorite pillows and mattress too on vacations.
Powerful and reliable engine - This is more reliable than the MJD, it can run harder and longer.
Takes abuse very well compared to normal cars- There are strips on the running boards, rear bumper etc , so the occasional off-road trip won't be a bother nor the bump from a cabby. This is no Bolero, so don't get me wrong there.
Suspension components last well Into the 70-80K KMS range
It can cover a lot of ground on the highway in comfort.

The -

Terrible gear ratios for city use and hill terrain
I know of two duster owners, one 2013 and one 2017 who have stopped using it in city traffic due to leg pain - The factory fitted hard clutch.
Interiors are just plain unacceptable in 2019
Seating is a bit low and the left front corner is often a casualty of this low visibility.
Parts availability is a problem even in Bangalore.
Parts are expensive, the clutch replacement on the 110 will leave you in tears.
Space in the rear seat could have been improved, the boot is too big , very European and good for some.

Because the car is durable and Renault is no Maruti , on the used car market there are plenty of Dusters at cheap price, I'm talking spending a bit more than a swift in used car market gets you a Duster, the value proposition is incredible. (We tried to sell one, so I know)

If you are looking at a new Duster, please wait for it to launch. I think it should be a good one, probably the car that would decide if Renault-Nissan will survive in India or not.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2019, 14:43   #116
Senior - BHPian

Before taking a call on the Duster, find out the reputation of the dealers in your neighbourhood. For me, it would be a dealbreaker. Important because the Duster is not as nigglefree/ reliable as say a (nowadays everyones whipping boy) Maruti.

As a vehicle, for me, only the AWD makes sense. (But it makes a lot of sense!).

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 07:53   #117
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should I buy the ageing Renault Duster in 2017?

Now that we have so many launches ans a refreshed duster, another aspect to look at is, on resale value.

With BS6 as a requirement from April, cars are going to get expensive. So does it make sense to buy now or in April.
Old 30th July 2019, 11:15   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Now that we have so many launches ans a refreshed duster, another aspect to look at is, on resale value.

With BS6 as a requirement from April, cars are going to get expensive. So does it make sense to buy now or in April.
Renault has declared that diesel models would be discontinued after April 2020.

If you want to buy a diesel Duster, now is the time.

By the way, how is the Duster petrol CVT ? Seems to be well priced for the specs.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 30th July 2019 at 11:34.
Old 30th July 2019, 12:02   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

By the way, how is the Duster petrol CVT ? Seems to be well priced for the specs.

Rohan
Haven't heard anything negative on CVT. Pricing is a killer even if you compare it with venue, more spacious, comfortable sans some of the new gen feature provided by Venue.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 13:54   #120
BHPian

I wanted to check with Duster owners and fans if picking up a used Duster 1.5DCI 110 RXZ AWD 2014 late refreshed model onward is a good idea?

I have read so many horror stories on the failed fuel injector issues in so many Dusters, that it has made me a bit wary, especially post BSVI implementation, the fuel injectors of the Duster will get lesser lubrication and will be more prone to failure, even if the one I pick is okay at that time.

Please do share your thoughts, am I over reacting or are these issues that could play out?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks