Team-BHP - tavera maintainance?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   tavera maintainance? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/20837-tavera-maintainance.html)

Can anyone help me about the FE of tavera in a semi-urban driving conditions? we are zeroing on the non-ac model. Also i am blank about the spare-part prices. As the uv is from GM,i fear high service bills. Any tavera owners?

Hi,

I have done quite some research on tavera and even though I dont own one, here are some inputs

Pros:
1) Good mileage: 11-13 in city and 15-18 on high way
2) Relatively cheap maintenance costs: Less than Rs2500 per service
3) Good engine: Engine life of 300,000 Km. This engine does not have timing belt but has a gear driven timing and cam. Hence no replacement of belt etc etc

Cons:
1) Not a great looker
2) Resale value is not as good as scorpio or innova
3) Not a scorcher: Even though the engine has a turbo it works for low end power.
4) Service network is not good

thks badri.
looks does'nt bother, and resale value too, as i am thinking of long-term ownership(7-8yrs).

Quote:

Originally Posted by badri (Post 362360)
3) Good engine: Engine life of 300,000 Km. This engine does not have timing belt but has a gear driven timing and cam. Hence no replacement of belt etc etc

I have heard the opposite from the cabbies in my company. Though the mileage is good they say engine isnt as long lasting as qualis or even sumo.

Mileage is the USP of the tavera its the best in its class.Maintainance too should not be a worrying factor atleast for now.It takes bad roads in its stride quite well.

The tavera engine is from an isuzu pickup truck and is on paper atleast supposed to be durable and long lasting but yes even I dont expect as much as the qualis or sumo.

A few things I did not like about the tavera:
1>. Gearbox
2>. Steering wheel and its position
3>. Engine noise

Ps:A very nice reply indeed badri to rams query.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul_intlad (Post 362581)
yes even I dont expect as much as the qualis or sumo.

agree:

We had qualis which clocked 276000 Kms with general maintanance only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen_Power (Post 362583)
agree:

We had qualis which clocked 276000 Kms with general maintanance only.

is it 2,76,000......................:Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by low_bass_makker (Post 362585)
is it 2,76,000......................:Shockked:

Oh Yes...
It is 2 Lacs and 76 thousand only..

Cas was used for 5+ years and sold before 1 year.

Hi,

I agree that the engine life of Qualis is very high ( dont know much about sumo). My in laws Qualis has done over 150000 K and still sounds as if it's just been run in. They are looking for another vehicle and that's why I have done this research.

I used to own an opel astra 1.7 TD before and have good contacts with many insiders in GM service centre in Bangalore

As for the engine life, if you maintain well, you can easily come close to the company claims. All IDI diesel engines can give a long life with proper care. I was once chatting with a bus driver on a long journey and was amazed to know that their TATA bus engines are over hauled once in 250000 KMS and are scrapped after the third overhaul life is over. Thats an amazing 1 million Kms!!