Team-BHP - Mahindra XUV300 vs the competition
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Mahindra XUV300 vs the competition (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/208721-mahindra-xuv300-vs-competition-6.html)

Hey, guys.
My dad is currently looking to buy a new small car within the next few months and I have recommended one of the new psuedo-SUVs to him because I assume they will be better than hatchbacks for our roads and also because I think it will feel like more of an upgrade.
The car will be bought in Dharamshala but will go to Shimla often, so compact dimensions cannot be compromised at all.
There are a few good options so I thought I'd open a new thread because this is quite a hot segment of the market so the information could be useful to many people.

Our priorities are
Safety - Top priority. Absolute minimum is Airbags and ABS. Anything more is extremely valued. Good highway manners are nice to have as well. Most roads are really smooth and nice here, except in the parts where they aren't. And those parts are literally not roads.

Efficiency - Important. The car will have high running. Around one lakh kilometers in 3 years is likely.

Durability and Reliability - Very important. The car will have a high running as already mentioned. Too many niggles and too many days in the workshop will be a great irritant.

Things that would be nice to have but not a big deal:

Space: Not a big deal as long as the front seats are comfortable.
Gadgets and Gizmos : Hardly matter unless directly increasing comfort.

Cars not being considered

Toyota : Would be so ideal, but no car in segment. Innova is atleast a couple of segments too big for our requirements. Toyota really should have atleast two cars below it.
Small Rant. I feel they are pretty stupid to not sell the C-HR here. Such a breathtakingly beautiful car. And I know so many people in India like my father who believe Toyota is the last word in motoring and would buy the hell out of it and any other compact car they sold.
Instead they want to sell Suzuki cars and dilute all that goodwill and belief in Toyota technology.

Nissan/Datsun/Renault : Don't want to recommended these brands to my dad, as that would be a risky move for me lol:

Ford: No showroom in the area, uncertainity about brand.

Cars being considered:

Honda Wr-V
Currently top consideration because of Honda's reputation. However I have read on a few threads here that the car is prone to rattles. Also been reading on here that Honda quality isn't what it used to be and that the cars are not as good. Can any Wr-V owners weigh in on the cars reliability? Is this a good car to get?
It doesn't seem very popular and is rare to see on the roads.

Tata Nexon and Mahindra XuV 300
Both are good looking cars and quite likeable. I'm apprehensive about them because both companies are known to have cars that need to go for repairs often over small things. What are your thoughts about them?

Maruti Vitara Brezza
I personally like this car but my dad feels Maruti cars have a lot of rattles and make him feel tired. I think the car is a good option and any feedback is appreciated.

Hyundai Venue
I think it might be a little too gadgety for my dad. Otherwise quite pretty, quite well sized. I'm really pushing my dad to atleast try it out but he seems to have some personal prejudice against Hyundai for some reason that I don't know.
Also I don't think it'll have any good deals on it since it's a new model right now.

Anyhow that's where it's at, right now. Any help in deciding is appreciated guys.
Thank you

I assume you are looking for a diesel because of high running. Since safety is your top priority I would recommend the Nexon. It has a good diesel mill too and AFAIK it's quite reliable. I'm personally not a fan of the WRV and I don't think it'll feel as solid as a Nexon or an EcoSport.

However if you consider buying the Nexon, I think a facelift is on its way.

What is the situation with regards to service in Dharamshala and Shimla. Definitely choose a car which has service in both cities if possible. That simplifies life.

I assume space beyond two people is not a consideration. Just asking, because that opens up the field to many other vehicles. I see you aren't considering hatchbacks, but that can be very practical.

What is your budget so that we can suggest other alternatives if possible.

My personal opinion is run from Tata and Mahindra. Too many of their cars seem to get launched with bugs and working on the principle of kaizen, get improved and by the time they have ironed out mos of the bugs, they launch a new model.

The Brezza is surprisingly good. My uncle has one and if you buy the diesel now, will get good deals since they are gonna phase that engine out, but will continue servicing it for multiple years to come.

Honda seems to be selling very few cars indeed and barring the Amaze, which is sustaining their business, nothing else has decent volumes.

It is a shame you can't get a Toyota that you want but even they have a problem regarding availability of service centres.

WRT service centres, only Maruti and Hyundai have a good reach.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raj_RD (Post 4649924)
I assume you are looking for a diesel because of high running. Since safety is your top priority I would recommend the Nexon. It has a good diesel mill too and AFAIK it's quite reliable. I'm personally not a fan of the WRV and I don't think it'll feel as solid.

Yes, looking for a diesel. Wrv is being considered due to the reputation of Honda for reliability.
Any idea when the Nexon face-lift is due?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pganapathy (Post 4649925)
What is the situation with regards to service in Dharamshala and Shimla. Definitely choose a car which has service in both cities if possible. That simplifies life.

I assume space beyond two people is not a consideration. Just asking, because that opens up the field to many other vehicles. I see you aren't considering hatchbacks, but that can be very practical.

What is your budget so that we can suggest other alternatives if possible.

WRT service centres, only Maruti and Hyundai have a good reach.

Servicing is not a problem for any of the major brands.
No, space is not a major criteria at all but I'm not consideringhatchbacks because I assume these mini SUVs will have an advantage on rough surfaces and will be comparatively nicer to own. Also I think they'll feel like more of an upgrade over hatchbacks, which is always a feel good factor.

Budget is not a big issue, because the need for a small car limits the choices before the budget can. Dad strictly doesn't want to drive anything much bigger than a hatchback.
But Ofcourse guys, please don't start recommending mini coopers.

Another thing I think I should mention is that this car will replace an Etios Liva, which is why I am leaning more towards the WR-V. Dad also owned a Punto which I drive now, so can deal with reasonable non-Japanese cars but if I recommend a car that does something really crazy like having to go to the service center 12 times in 4 months like some of the threads on teambhp; then I will be replacing this horse :deadhorse
stupid:

To be really honest, Get a Yaris. It is fully loaded, has enough ground clearance to tackle any obstacle these pointless pseudo-SUVs would (obviously, with just a little bit more caution) and being a Toyota, it defintely has more toerance than a Honda, Suzuki, Mahindra.
Also, being a car that undersells, you can bargain the hell out of it.

Venue is too small, expectedly so, considering that it is based on i10 platform.

For comfort, both WRV and Brezza are nice. I test drove the Nexon, but not as gobsmacked as a number of members here are. Brezza too has hardly any desirebility, but is a workhorse and the platform is that of Vitara.

I would suggest you to check S Cross as well. Being a segment above car, it has really nice black soft touch interiors. If you are fine with Manual diesel cars, I think you must test drive the S cross, perhaps the only quality car by Maruti.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhphog (Post 4649945)
Yaris...Also, being a car that undersells, you can bargain the hell out of it.

How much discount can one expect?

Your choice of CSUVs is good, they have advantages of small size, more space and higher GC.

As this for your Dad, may be better to go with automatic. Ecosport AT, Venue DCT, Nexon AMT would be worth considering.

From a maintenance perspective most cars in that segment are good. We have Brezza and Nexon driven in family, both are good, no rattles or maintenance issues so far.

Stick to PSUV as GC hrlps in more ways than one.
My father just bought a Ciaz and wants to change it after just 2 months as he is finding ingress difficult.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ani_meher (Post 4649946)

I would suggest you to check S Cross as well. Being a segment above car, it has really nice black soft touch interiors. If you are fine with Manual diesel cars, I think you must test drive the S cross, perhaps the only quality car by Maruti.

Adding S-cross to the shortlist. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermodynamics (Post 4649953)
From a maintenance perspective most cars in that segment are good. We have Brezza and Nexon driven in family, both are good, no rattles or maintenance issues so far.

Does the nexon have to go to the workshop for niggles often or does everything work fine?
We like the car but Tata reputation is scary.
please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMT (Post 4650005)
Stick to PSUV as GC hrlps in more ways than one.
My father just bought a Ciaz and wants to change it after just 2 months as he is finding ingress difficult.

Thank you for this excellent point that I hadn't thought of. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamine (Post 4650254)
Does the nexon have to go to the workshop for niggles often or does everything work fine?
We like the car but Tata reputation is scary.

Not really, we have been using the Diesel Nexon for 2 years, 40k on Odo, no niggles so far, just regular maintenance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermodynamics (Post 4650260)
Not really, we have been using the Diesel Nexon for 2 years, 40k on Odo, no niggles so far, just regular maintenance.

Thanks, that's good to know. I hope Tata can build a reputation where people stop asking these questions about them. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamine (Post 4649887)
Hey, guys.
My dad is currently looking to buy a new small car within the next few months and I have recommended one of the new psuedo-SUVs to him because I assume they will be better than hatchbacks for our roads and also because I think it will feel like more of an upgrade.
The car will be bought in Dharamshala but will go to Shimla often, so compact dimensions cannot be compromised at all.

Since you have mentioned about safety and durability not being compromised, you can consider Nexon and EcoSport. EcoSport is good for highways and good FE(diesel). I use my EcoSport mostly on highways and it has been reliable till date. Service is once in 10k kms so why to miss out an opportunity on a good car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jithin23 (Post 4653525)
Since you have mentioned about safety and durability not being compromised, you can consider Nexon and EcoSport. EcoSport is good for highways and good FE(diesel). I use my EcoSport mostly on highways and it has been reliable till date. Service is once in 10k kms so why to miss out an opportunity on a good car.

As far as safety and durability are concerned my pick would be between Xuv 300 and Ecosport as we have seen that mahindra products are far more durable and reliable than Tata products. Also if you drive Xuv 300, Ecosport and nexon back to back I think Xuv 300 and Ford will come out as more enjoyable and better overall. Also Xuv gives a very premium feeling inside out.

I have gone through this dilemma recently and picked up XUV300 W8 (O) Autoshift Diesel. After driving 650 odd KMs on this, my initial feedback is as follows

XUV 300 Hits:
Misses

Voted for EcoSport and bought Trend diesel two months ago. For those who are on tight budget, and does not want to compromise on basic safety features like rear wash and wipe, there is simply no other option other than EcoSport.