Team-BHP - Mahindra XUV300 vs the competition
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Mahindra XUV300 vs the competition (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/208721-mahindra-xuv300-vs-competition-7.html)

Hello fellow BHPians. I am in need of some advice for my next car. please:

Currently driving an Alto 800 manual, and wanted a bigger vehicle. Given the monsoons and pot-holled roads, I guess a CSUV would make more sense than a C-sedan. Budget is 12-14 lakhs onroad, however the lower the better.

I tend to cover anywhere between 50-100 km in city on an average weekday, and about 200-300km on the occasional weekend trip. Hence I am considering automatic over manual for now. Cant decide between diesel vs petrol, as the fuel cost are similar and most of the time I am in bumper to bumper traffic, so highway fun isn't the top priority here. Over the past month I've T/D a bunch of cars and shortlisted the following

1. Brezza ZDi AT. Guess its the least popular choice here, but their monthly sales figures inspire confidence. I find it very spacious and comfortable, though the interiors feel cheap for the price. Boot is very interesting and I like the rear seating as well. The only worry is they will discontinue this engine 6 months later, and I dont know if its a good idea to buy an engine thats goind out of sale so soon. BTW this is probably the cheapest of the lot along with Nexon.

2. Nexon SMA. Like I said, cant decide between petrol vs diesel so considering both variants here. Feels spacious and sturdy, especially with the high ground clearance, making it ideal for water logged roads in Pune and Mumbai. Not a huge fan of the design, but its the drive that counts for me. I found the AMT to be better than Brezza, but again a 2km T/D is not enough to judge the drivability I assume.

3. XUV 300 W8 Diesel AT. Sadly no AT in petrol, this is 3 lakhs more expensive than onroad Brezza ZDI AT. I love how it looks, and the plush interiors are best IMO. The front row seating is the most comfortable and the backseat is probably the largest aswell. Sadly the boot space ain't so good, but its not a big concern given 80% of my driving will be in city.

4. EcoSport. I dont like the cramped up feeling, especially in the front. The legroom is affected by the large mid console, and the price is on the higher side, especially compared to Nexon & Brezza. But driving this vehicle is super fun and probably the smoothest transmission of the lot. I just wish it was a tad bit wider. Also, the boot opens sideways, making it a bit of a hassle in cramped up parallel parking, if not a deal breaker.

5. Venue SX AT. While this is a bit cramped up at the back seat, the front is spacious and feels very modern. This is again a bit more expensive and almost competes with the XUV and EcoSport in the price range. Not sure I would go with the Diesel on this though as the 1.0ltr Turbo petrol is too much fun to not be the default choice for this car.

6. Not a CSUV. Honda Amaze CVT. Just love the way it looks and drives. Beautiful interiors and comfortable seating. Sadly it doesnt have the high ground clearance and I am worried I'd be stuck with an engine sieze in a water logged situation. Not sure how the automatic vehicles are suited for this, hence the worry. I could be totally wrong though and hence would appreciate any suggestions or feedback. :Frustrati

I am not too worried about the resale value as I plan to drive my next car for atleast 7+yrs, however, its definitely a plus point if the car has a good resale value. ASS and maintenance cost are of utmost importance as I dont have the luxury of time to chase the service centers for adhoc or periodic fixes, and dont want to shell out a bomb for unplanned repairs.

Hi evilzombie. That surely is a catchy name tag.

Even I was in the same conundrums as you. Went and checked all the models.
Venue I found the most appealing but then rear space is a bummer.
Breeza has been long in the tooth, a logical buy but there are better cars.

Nexon has presence and driver manners. Nice car.

Ecosport will only be enjoyed by the driver. It is just too cramped.

Which leaves the xuv 300. Boy what a car I was blown away by the drive ability and the space. Boot is a letdown. Since I was on the. lookout for space the SA at mahindra convinced me to look at xuv 500 w5. Compared to all the cars above it is like walking in to a palace. Plus that sweet sweet mhawk engine. Will extend your budget a little. With discounts the w5 model is less than 15 on road. And these discounts will continue till March or even grow big. Do have a look.
I am saving now for the 500.
But then it will be base model and you might miss out on a few goodies. Still a bigger car. Do give it a thought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by knrn (Post 4671560)
Since I was on the. lookout for space the SA at mahindra convinced me to look at xuv 500 w5. Compared to all the cars above it is like walking in to a palace. Plus that sweet sweet mhawk engine. Will extend your budget a little. With discounts the w5 model is less than 15 on road.

Actually I did check out the XUV 500 (though didn't go for a T/D) on my visit to the M&M showroom. They didn't have the AT in W5 and offered that from W7 onwards, with a starting on-road price of over 18 lakhs, which is almost 5 more than the XUV 300.

I also checked out the Creta AT low end, starting at 16.5 lakhs, but that was ruled out as well due to the overall VFM.

Didnt bother with the Seltos or MG as I assumed their AT would probably be north of 15 and out of my immediate reach.

Aha. AT s will surely knock up the budget by 1.5 lacs on road. Are you sure you want an AT. I do understand that is entirely your need and prerogative.

Seltos is a fancy creta and MG I am not so sure.

I do wish you luck in your purchase. A small advice- even if you have to wait a month or two extra to rack up the budget you want then you should. Because whatever car you buy will be with you for a good ten years. A good investment in waiting to rack up your budget will be quite fruitful over the years.

Otherwise the xuv 300 is the Best Buy of the lot.

Wishing you luck. Do let me know what you brought home for celebration.

Hello BHPians, need your expert opinion + advise/suggestion to pick my next vehicle.

Currently driving an Alto 800 Lxi (2014), and clocked about 60K on the Odo. Most of the usage is limited to city, with the occasional weekend excursion. However, that is probably due to the fact that Alto ain't the most comfortable vehicle for long distances. Longest was a day trip Pune - Nashik - Pune (approx 470 km) with a full load (5 adults and boot was packed to the brims). I expect my excursions to be more frequent with the upgrade. Current work commitments have lead to an increase in the daily usage and I am clocking about 500km in city per week with b2b traffic.

I am looking for a SUVish vehicle, which fits my budget and has maintenance needs similar to a car and not a truck. My limited knowledge of automobiles has kept me from experimenting with used cars, especially considering this will be the primary (and only) vehicle in the garage. So reluctant to take any chances. Initially I was considering both Petrol & Diesel options, but looks like Diesel is the one that makes most sense for me, given my usage is a lot higher than it was before. Another major requirement is Automatic and that is non-negotiable. My budget is limited, and has been stretched twice already :Shockked:

I T/D many vehicles and while some were in the contention for longer than others, eventually they got eliminated. The below list covers those that have been rejected

1. Ford Ecosport Petrol DCT- Started off my search with this one, as it was my dream to own one. I took my wife and infant along for the T/D, and was hoping to have closed the deal on the same day. The SA @ Ford was very helpful and quickly explained the variants and got my Titanium+ DCT ready for a TD. I was smiling from ear to ear upon seeing the car. However, once I got inside the car, the smile faded and gave way to a small frown. I found the ride to be very stiff, and the space was cramped. I could feel smallest of bumps or broken roads. If my wife sits in the front (which she usually does in city rides) she has limited space to hold the baby. My side of the seat is also a bit cramped up due to the very large mid console. I wish it was a bit wider, as the car is really sporty. But the limited space and ride comfort, along with the higher price tag, meant this was rejected outright after T/D.

2. Vitara Brezza. Being a current Maruti owner, and a happy one at that, I had to pay the customary visit to our favorite brand. T/D a Diesel AMT ZDi+, but was considering a VDi for the price points. This was the cheapest of the lot, and hence some of the aspects could be overlooked, namely the cheap interiors and stiff seats. However, what I really couldn't overlook was the ride quality and the engine noise. The AMT surely paled in comparison to the DCT in Ford, but wasn't as bad as I had expected it to be after reading reviews. Coming from a petrol T/D, this diesel engine sounded lot louder and the cabin gets very noisy along with bumpy ride quality, which meant the infant wasn't happy with the car and was quite vocal about his displeasure. This was an option just for the price point, but in the end, there were too many compromises to be made, and so was rejected.

3. Venue S 1ltr petrol DCT. Had high hopes for this one. The T/D vehicle was very very bumpy (in comparison the Brezza felt butter smooth). When I complained and inspected, one left rear wheel was almost flat lol: Got the air pressure sorted at a nearby filling station, and then the ride was much better. I liked the transmission and the car responded really well to my throttle inputs. Its very peppy and spicy and sounds like an energetic beast, ready to take on any task. The suspension though has its limitations, making it ideal for city only conditions. DCT is definitely better than AMT, and that enhanced the overall experience. However, the lack of a Diesel AT option, and the cramped up rear space, and the extra long wait time (12 weeks) meant this was on the back burner for a while. Finally after another T/D and a long discussion with wife, decided to reject this option as well, primarily because the acquisition cost was high and mileage for petrol is low. The overall looks also played a part as the rear looked like a hatch and they had a Creta next to the Venue, which made this look puny.

This brings us to the vehicles which are under consideration

4. Tata Nexon Diesel XMA. This was in the top 2, and is still the most VFM option. I am getting one for 10.5 OTR, which is lower than the other option. The T/D was a very good experience and I really enjoyed the sport mode driving in this one. The steering feedback is average, but nothing to be worried about. I was a bit apprehensive about Tata and their ASC, and some of the ownership reviews did highlight the issues they encountered. But I guess this has improved to the extent that it no longer is a deal breaker for them. On the looks department, there are mixed feelings, as the front looks very sporty and the rear looks very funky. But then again, its not as bad in the more sedate color options of white & silver.

5. Mahindra XUV300 W6 AMT. Ever since they announced the W6 AMT, it has been on top of my list. I have had multiple T/Ds on the W8s and thoroughly enjoyed them. The car feels big and expensive and ride is very smooth. Ride quality was a big win for this car. I like the interiors (dont see any issue with the ICE which some seem to hate). I think it is the most refined AMT I've tested, and the NVH is very good, with almost no engine noise. Comfortable to sit in the front as well as the rear, and seats are really nice and support the back. The speaker system quality is a bit below the Nexon, but is acceptable. Boot space is the only concern, as we are worried it wont fit the pram and a couple of bags/suitcase at the same time, thereby limiting the getaways to the weekends only. But otherwise, this car has everything I need. Both wife and kid seem to be happy with this one. I had almost booked it this Sunday, and the SA was giving me a nice deal 11.6 OTR and said will push for a Diwali delivery. Though pricier than the Nexon, this came with the ICE, and I was in love with the car for its looks and the drive comfort.

But then something happened which has thrown a spanner into all my plans. I said to wifey that before we pay the booking amount for XUV300, lets do some window shopping. And that brings us to the 6th one, and by far the best one yet.

6. Duster RxS AMT (phase 2 edition). Sunday afternoon we dropped by the nearest Renault showroom. The July/19 Facelift Duster looks... well like a Duster. I felt they had missed an opportunity to do a major upgrade, and ended up with cosmetic changes. During my interaction with the SA, he mentioned Renault still has some phase 2 edition Dusters, on which they are having good discounts for clearance sale. He offered me a RxS Diesel AMT at 12.4 OTR (normally the OTR comes around 15). He confirmed the car is manufactured in 2019 and will be available in a couple of weeks (they need to place order to Renault and then it gets shipped to dealer). I took a T/D and was blown away by the off-roading capabilities of the 2x4, I can only imagine what an AWD would feel like. This vehicle is not in the sub 4m, and offers a ridiculous amount of space, when compared with the other options. The boot is big enough to carry luggage for a 10 day vacation. The drive ability of the AMT is nice, though a bit less responsive than the XUV300. I found the Duster to be more reluctant to upshift, especially from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes from 3rd to 4th. Didnt notice any issue with other gears. Even on manual mode, with a speed of 30+, and gunning the pedal (RPMs went as high as 3.5), the gear didnt change from 2 - 3. The SA was saying this is because I was at low speed, which I dont think is a valid reason, coz 30 ain't so low that the car cant go to 3rd gear. Apart from that, didnt find any other issue. The music system is bland and ICE is not ideally located, also the indicator controls have been switched over to the left side, and the wiper controls to the right, so there will be a small learning curve. But overall, this feels like a very good deal, and I like the looks of the big old Duster. My only concern is the maintenance costs. I've heard horror stories of people shelling out lakhs of rupees in maintenance, and high insurance costs. I've read the multiple ownership threads and get a picture that inspite of the issues/shortcomings, the owners love their Dusters. Also, I get the feel that the overall service experience is a bit of hit or miss. If you get lucky, there wont be any hassles. If lady luck doesn't ride with you as frequently, your ownership cost shoots up by over 40% in a 5yr period. I heard the insurance is very high for the Diesel variants of Duster. Default warranty offered is for 2yrs and 40K kms which is very low IMO. The extended warranty is offered with addition of 1 yr and 20K kms from what I understand.

Like I mentioned earlier, I am not a car person, in the sense that I have limited knowledge of what goes under the hood, or under the car itself. Hence, I will be totally dependent on the ASC for maintenance as well as repairs. My requirements are such that I cannot live without a vehicle for long, so frequent visits to the service centers or leaving the rig with them for days at end won't work out for me. I want a car which is not an attention seeker, is trust worthy, and gives me peace of mind as long as I treat her with respect (periodic servicing, oil change, maintain basic car hygiene, etc) and is ready to go the long yards without breaking a sweat.

Need suggestions on whether the Duster is a safe buy, or is it a gamble owning one, given the cost of accessories/repairs/replacements etc. Or am I better off with the XUV300 or its counterparts.

I am limited by the budget and cannot afford the Creta, though I have a very good offer of the Sx AT Petrol at 15.7 OTR.

Thank you in advance and Cheers!

My apologies to the mods for creating a new thread. I was under the impression that I should have created a new thread under the What car section. New here so please ignore my noob-actions :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilZombie (Post 4674513)
Need suggestions on whether the Duster is a safe buy, or is it a gamble owning one, given the cost of accessories/repairs/replacements etc. Or am I better off with the XUV300 or its counterparts.

I believe you have narrowed down to XUV3OO AMT, Duster AMT and a close third contender of my choice would be the Nexon AMT.

Moving on from an Alto, the maintenance cost of all these vehicles is going to increase your expenses by 2 to 3 times. These costs include, maintenance, fuel, insurance and repairs etc. Not trying to dishearten you. Just putting it out there.
Your detailed post hints that you are liking the discount offered on the Duster and are thinking of it as a 'Not to be missed' deal. Do note that the only thing to like here is the ride quality and boot space. Everything else (drive-train, ergonomics, infotainment, safety) is more than a decade old offering which is on its way out. Duster has a lot of foreign sourced components and Renault doesn't offer off-the-counter sales of spares which add up to the cost of long term ownership. The Duster AMT has had a reputation of requiring too many repairs with the clutch. They offer 30K km warranty on the clutch (please check with them). Duster comes with a 2 year 40K standard warranty + 2 year up to 80K (optional at purchase) then there is an option to add on 1 year or 20K km increments up to the 7th year. I have had 2.4 Lac worth of parts replaced under warranty in my 2015 AWD.

Regarding the Nexon, it is a well rounded car. Two things that bothered me were the sloping roof which restricts headroom in the back and the narrow seats. The Nexon website shows a 2 year 100K max warranty option only.

The XUV3OO looks like the best bet here and is also the most updated product. Apart from the small boot, I believe it is close enough to the Duster in terms of ride and handling and it also has a roomier cabin compared to the Nexon. XUV comes with a max option of 5th year or 150K km warranty.
Both the Indian brands have highly localized components which brings down the cost of ownership in the long run. I also feel the manufacturers are more committed to the products since they are new launches which required huge investments and seem to be sticking around for many face lifts in the future.

So moving on I would pick the car with the best warranty and after sales service. Thing to note is the drive-train warranty. AMT should have a warranty on the clutch since its operation is not dependent on the driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgo (Post 4674931)
I believe you have narrowed down to XUV3OO AMT, Duster AMT and a close third contender of my choice would be the Nexon AMT.

Moving on from an Alto, the maintenance cost of all these vehicles is going to increase your expenses by 2 to 3 times. These costs include, maintenance, fuel, insurance and repairs etc. Not trying to dishearten you. Just putting it out there.

I normally spend about 3.5 - 4K in every 5k km service intervals, so I was under the impression that it would remain the same or in the range (approx 7-8 K for 10K km). Insurance will surely shoot up given the cost of the vehicle is over 3x. So I am assuming a 30-35K (approx) insurance cost per yr (may need to haggle with the guys though)

Fuel costs should remain the same, given I will be moving to Diesel from Petrol, and expect the car to give atleast 12-14km mileage in city traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgo (Post 4674931)
[indent] Duster has a lot of foreign sourced components and Renault doesn't offer off-the-counter sales of spares which add up to the cost of long term ownership. The Duster AMT has had a reputation of requiring too many repairs with the clutch. I have had 2.4 Lac worth of parts replaced under warranty in my 2015 AWD.

Major concern was the repairs. As you rightly mentioned, the parts cost a bomb and I am worried of the same. I dont think I will be comfortable shelling out that much money for an adhoc repair or part replacement.

Thanks for your valuable inputs and for sharing your experience.

Quote:

4. Tata Nexon Diesel XMA. This was in the top 2, and is still the most VFM option. I am getting one for 10.5 OTR, which is lower than the other option. The T/D was a very good experience and I really enjoyed the sport mode driving in this one. The steering feedback is average, but nothing to be worried about. I was a bit apprehensive about Tata and their ASC, and some of the ownership reviews did highlight the issues they encountered. But I guess this has improved to the extent that it no longer is a deal breaker for them. On the looks department, there are mixed feelings, as the front looks very sporty and the rear looks very funky. But then again, its not as bad in the more sedate color options of white & silver.

I am also in a similar dilemma looking for an AMT around 12L with ride comfort as first priority.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4671705 These are the “toll roads” which I encounter on daily basis so ride quality is the top most priority. However my biggest gripe with XUV300 is lack of boot space which is my second priority.

Could you please comment about ride quality of Nexon over XUV300? Nexon XMA looks like a very good value for money car.

Quote:

Could you please comment about ride quality of Nexon over XUV300? Nexon XMA looks like a very good value for money car.
I own a XUV300 W8(O) AMT and have test driven the Nexon on a variety of roads. Nexon has a stiffer ride than XUV300. One may not feel it on 4 laned NH but the XUV is much plusher especially on most 2 laned Indian roads.

Boot space on XUV300 is manageable though could have been more. You can expect a mileage of 12 kmpl in City and 18 KMPL in the AMT.

Did not consider duster as it is a very old design, unsure of its structural stability (XUV300 is based on a very safe Tivoli), the Renault's A.S.S and potential spare parts issues in the future considering that the car is not going great.

Quote:

I am limited by the budget and cannot afford the Creta, though I have a very good offer of the Sx AT Petrol at 15.7 OTR.

Thank you in advance and Cheers!

Don't get bamboozled by the offers on Duster, personally for me its not a good buy at all.

Have never considered Mahindra for my purchases hence can't comment either ways, however you can look at Seltos HTX At, it comes at around 14l on road however.

Just to add, even if you are increasing your budget by a long stretch however getting a perfect car as per your wishes is pretty hard, most of us have to sacrifice somewhere to get that fits most of our requirements. So will suggest you to sit and jot down the most important features that are a must have, and then go on from their

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandhyab (Post 4675133)
Don't get bamboozled by the offers on Duster, personally for me its not a good buy at all.

Have never considered Mahindra for my purchases hence can't comment either ways, however you can look at Seltos HTX At, it comes at around 14l on road however.

Thank you for your inputs. Have crossed out the Duster from my list after a lot of deliberation. I checked out the Seltos, and the HTK Diesel AT comes at 16L OTR and HTX IVT (1.5L engine) is close to 16.7 OTR. I did think of stretching my budget but the long wait time is kind of a deal breaker for me.

So finally went ahead and booked the XUV300 W6 AMT, got an OTR of 11.6 which works a bit easier on my pocket as well. I can live with the limited boot space, considering I'm upgrading from an Alto. Thank you members for your inputs, it has helped me a lot.

Cheers and ride on!!!

Any thoughts on XUV300 AMT W8(o) and Seltos HTK+ Diesel AT? Both have similar prices.

Pros of XUV300 AMT
  1. Fully loaded with safety package (7 airbags etc)
  2. Sub 4m, so insurance is cheaper
  3. Highest power
  4. Mahindra service (wide spread)
Cons
  1. Useless (for me) sunroof
  2. Gray seats and interiors of W8(o)
Pros of Seltos HTK+ Diesel AT:
  1. 4.3m not too bigger than 4m, so drivebility will be similar
  2. Superior AT than XUV300
  3. BS6 engine at the price of BS4 (looking at Creta)
Cons:
  1. Mid variant with 2 airbags only - Fully loaded is costly at around 20L
  2. New entrant, so risk of survival
  3. Door quality not good
  4. Lack of rear headrests in HTK+ (pathetic decision by Kia)
I felt space was similar in both, because XUV300 is carved out of a similar segment car, just chopping out the boot.

Guys, i am looking to replace dad's 9yr old petrol Indigo.(80K Kms odo)

Given the pot-holed roads and a general better ride, I guess a Compact SUV would make more sense than a C-sedan. Budget is 12-14 lakhs onroad.

Dad covers about 40-50 kms per day on an average (almost entirely on highway, with shorter trips being done on two wheeler or by long walks), with an occasional hometown to pune trip (150kms one side once a month). I am considering automatic over manual for now as a relief for his left knee. Cant decide between diesel vs petrol, as the running is on lower side. Over the past month I've T/D a bunch of cars and shortlisted the following

1. Brezza ZDi+ AT. it very spacious and comfortable, though the interiors feel cheap for the price. Big boot space.

2. Nexon XZA+. Its spacious and sturdy, high ground clearance, making it ideal for potholed ghats, water logged roads in Pune. Not a huge fan of the design. AMT seems to be better than Brezza.

3. XUV 300 W8 Diesel AT. no AT in petrol. Most expensive option here.

Not including Hyundai Venue or Ford Ecosport as lack of local service Centre is a concern.

Please help me in deciding:
1. D/P - diesel will make financial sense only after 4-5years. Dad does hold on to his cars for 6-8years min. However, with a diesel, no worries about road trips getting expensive.
2. NVH dad is little worried about diesel clatter. However he's comfortable with my diesel Tiago NVH.
3. AT/MT

Oh, and past vehicles owned-
Force trax, 118NE, maruti omini SOLD.
Tata NANO, Ertiga zxi+ (for occasional highway trips with entire family) primarily used by my brother.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torq (Post 4688991)
1. Brezza ZDi+ AT. it very spacious and comfortable, though the interiors feel cheap for the price. Big boot space.

2. Nexon XZA+. Its spacious and sturdy, high ground clearance, making it ideal for potholed ghats, water logged roads in Pune. Not a huge fan of the design. AMT seems to be better than Brezza.

3. XUV 300 W8 Diesel AT. no AT in petrol. Most expensive option here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torq (Post 4688991)
Please help me in deciding:
1. D/P - diesel will make financial sense only after 4-5years. Dad does hold on to his cars for 6-8years min. However, with a diesel, no worries about road trips getting expensive.
2. NVH dad is little worried about diesel clatter. However he's comfortable with my diesel Tiago NVH.
3. AT/MT

I was in a similar situation not too long ago. After taking a lot of TD and advice for BHPians, I went ahead with the XUV300 W6 AMT. From my personal experience, here are my 2cents.

AT (actually all these have AMT) is much more convenient than MT for city usage. It is a boon in the traffic snarls that Pune has been seeing off late.

XUV300 Diesel has very good NVH. The cabin is very silent and sometimes I lower the window to hear the Diesel growl stupid:

Diesel was the only option available with an AMT, but even if they had a petrol, I probably would have gone for the Diesel because its much more fun to drive. I did TD the Petrol manual for comparisons, and found it to be much more sedate than its Diesel sibling. The engine is happy to revv and you get great response when you are in the 1800 to 2k rpm range

I found the Brezza to have an average ride quality, and between these 3 options, XUV was the best, followed by Nexon. The AMT is also pretty refined in both Nexon as well as XUV, although it will take a bit of time before you get used to it if you are switching from a MT. There is a slight lag felt, specially from 1st to 2nd, but its not as bad as some of the counterparts (read Brezza). I really like the manual mode offered and use it every now and then for fun, but the auto mode is adequate for your day to day driving. The braking is very efficient, and inspires confidence. The suspension is just right, and it swallows potholes for breakfast. There is a bit of body roll when you throw it it a tight corner, but it stays firmly grounded and doesn't feel like a boat.

Nexon is a better in terms of boot space, GC as well as price, but the looks were a deciding factor for me in the end. Also, the boot space in the XUV is enough for my usage. I was on a tight budget, so went with the lowest variant that offered AMT. However, I would have preferred the option of adding the rear wiper + defogger, height adjustable seat, and the reverse parking camera if they offered it as accessories. The Hill assist works well and there is no roll back unlike the Nexon. Also, I was looking at the XMA vs W6 and XUV had a touch infotainment which works pretty well. AC is very good in the front rows, but I wish they had added a rear AC vent as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ani_meher (Post 4688906)
Any thoughts on XUV300 AMT W8(o) and Seltos HTK+ Diesel AT? Both have similar prices.

Pros of XUV300 AMT
  1. Fully loaded with safety package (7 airbags etc)
  2. Sub 4m, so insurance is cheaper
  3. Highest power
  4. Mahindra service (wide spread)
Cons
  1. Useless (for me) sunroof
  2. Gray seats and interiors of W8(o)
Pros of Seltos HTK+ Diesel AT:
  1. 4.3m not too bigger than 4m, so drivebility will be similar
  2. Superior AT than XUV300
  3. BS6 engine at the price of BS4 (looking at Creta)
Cons:
  1. Mid variant with 2 airbags only - Fully loaded is costly at around 20L
  2. New entrant, so risk of survival
  3. Door quality not good
  4. Lack of rear headrests in HTK+ (pathetic decision by Kia)
I felt space was similar in both, because XUV300 is carved out of a similar segment car, just chopping out the boot.

Between these two variants, HTK+ takes the cake for me. I had almost taken the plunge for Seltos HTK+ Diesel myself, but the longish wait time (6weeks) and my wifey reminding me that I dont need to overspend, made me go with the XUV300 W6 instead. There is a price difference of almost 5 lakhs between the W6 and the HTK+. However, if you are considering the W8(o), then the difference is less than a lakh, and in that case, Seltos will certainly be the better option.

reasons for W8(o) over HTK+
1. Safety features of the top end trim
2. Ride quality - I felt the XUV to have a better ride quality than the Seltos, especially for rear passengers
3. XUV is more fun to drive, with oodles of torque, so overtaking isn't as big a pain as I had initially thought (personal opinion). Doesn't mean the Seltos is a slouch though.

Reason for HTK+ over W8(o)
1. bigger car & bigger boot
2. BS6 is a win
3. Selling like hot cakes. One model and Kia is already in the top 5 car manufacturers in India. Imagine when they release other models. I dont think the ASS or part availability will be much of an issue *fingers crossed*
4. AT over AMT means you have a superior transmission, although there maybe a slight compromise on FE

Hope this helps