Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Mahindra XUV300 139 22.86%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 20 3.29%
Tata Nexon 186 30.59%
Ford EcoSport 227 37.34%
Honda WR-V 8 1.32%
Other (please specify in your post) 28 4.61%
Voters: 608. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2019, 10:18   #106
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZombie View Post
XUV300 Diesel has very good NVH. The cabin is very silent.
Diesel was the only option available with an AMT. The engine is happy to revv and you get great response when you are in the 1800 to 2k rpm range

I found the Brezza to have an average ride quality, and between these 3 options, XUV was the best, followed by Nexon. The AMT is also pretty refined in both Nexon as well as XUV,... , but its not as bad as some of the counterparts (read Brezza).
I had been to unnati motors, nal stop a few days back. They did not have XUV 300 w8(o) on display. Could only evaluate w8(o) petrol. No AMT with petrol as u said. Impressive package nevertheless.

After a short discussion with dad n mom, realised they don't like design of nexon as well as rear headroom to be too less for their liking.

Brezza, as u mentioned, feels average when u consider the competition. Hence, it's out of the race now.
I have deliberately avoided Venue, considering hyundai service and spares costs. But, will have to research a bit more and will check it out soon.

Now, XUV 300 w8 O is being preffered subject to parents liking the car in person.

Thanks
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 12:23   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
I had been to unnati motors, nal stop a few days back. They did not have XUV 300 w8(o) on display. Could only evaluate w8(o) petrol.
You can try the Unnati motors in Nagar Road. That's where I bought mine, and they do have the Diesel AMT variant for TD. Akshay was the SA I interacted with and found him to be very helpful.
EvilZombie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 22:24   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZombie View Post
Unnati motors in Nagar Road. Akshay was the SA.
Called Unnati Motors today and requested for TD @residence in Katraj. Surprisingly, Akshay was one who showed up. Mightily impressed with the whole package. Except for boot space. Dad didn't want to compromise so much over the boot, so most probably it will be a deal breaker for us.
I shall be comparing it with nexon again tomorrow.
Old 9th January 2020, 22:30   #109
BHPian

First of all, a big apology to the Mods for taking this thread to a different tangent. Kindly feel free to delete or modify as you deem fit.

So I recently booked and am about to take the delivery of my XUV 3OO. I wanted to be a part of an Owner's Club. I connected with a couple of owners from TBHP and they were also not aware of one.

Incase of interest, please PM me. I have started a WA Group and would be glad to have more owners from Pune (or anywhere else for that matter) in it who can discuss and advise on any and all matters XUV 3OO. And incase there is already a group that's setup, again, please PM me.
Thanks and apologies to the mods again.

Keep Revving!!
Old 9th January 2020, 23:13   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Incase of interest, please PM me
I am unable to pm you. There are several whatsapp groups with over hundreds of members. Ping me and I'll add you.
anantpoddar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 17:21   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Went on a TD spree this week.

Thought would share my driving impressions here. We were looking at the diesel variants hovering around the 10.5 lakhs OTR price point. So no comments on the variants, features, styling or even bootspace ( let's face it. sub 4m CSUVs have compromised bootspace )

Booked the TDs online and they came home. So the TD was done on the roads where our vehicles are used 80% of the time.
An undivided old school highway that may allow us to touch 80km/h if there is sparse traffic.
The perennial broken potholed road behind our house.
A winding residential area road.

Forward visibility - XUV300 > Brezza, Nexon > Ecosport
XUV300 and Brezza have excellent forward visibility and view of bonnet too, while Nexon also has good forward visibility but like most modern cars bonnet is not visible.
Ecosport...well... Those thick A pillars are too much raked. Kinda makes you feel like you are piloting a cab forward MPV (1st gen Previa type). In its defence the Ford TD was done at night. So maybe exaggerated.

Seats - Ecosport > Nexon > Brezza, XUV300.
Surprised at the Ecosport seats. Front seat comfort was given, but the cramped/narrow rear seats was the usual pet peeve of all reviews. Narrow it maybe, but the high set supportive seats made us forget the average legroom and relatively stiffer ride.
Nexon was a good all rounder in both front and rear, while Brezza was average. XUV300 was good in front seats. Comfortable. But the rear seats were a real bummer. Space it had in spades, but the low set rear seats were aggravated by the lack of underthigh support.

Engine - XUV300 > Nexon > Ecosport
Not comparing the Brezza since it is petrol. Its a good decent engine which you can't go wrong with.
Loved the XUV300 D for its nature. Nexon was good too, except for the intial response which wasn't as good as the XUV300. Ecosport was good on its own, just that it felt slower in in-gear acceleration.
Clutch was super light in the XUV300 and Nexon, while it felt old school medium hard in the Ecosport. But have to say, Tata really should tune their clutch properly. Both in the Altroz D and Nexon D. Light they are, but the actuation point is way off

Low speed Ride
- XUV300 >>>> Nexon > Ecosport, Brezza

Low speed Steering feel - Ecosport > Nexon > XUV300 > Brezza

Brezza - Made us feel at home with the driving ergonomics. Dad liked it so much, he asked to check for used diesels. Have to say, interior plastic was strictly average.

Ecosport - Willing to overlook that huge A pillar and blindspots. Only if the clutch was smoother. The clutch was a big damper for dad and my kid bro. Still the top choice since mum loves Ford.

Nexon - TPMS kept on bonging. Dealer's fault, not the car's. Still irritant added to the below ones.
Reverse gear kept on behaving erratically. Taking multiple tries to slot into reverse, once the gearlever even jumped back to neutral.
Left indicator kept on clicking erratically. A bulb/fuse was definitely gone kaput. Checked. The rear left lamp cluster was gone.
While driving the IRVM was shaking on a loose mount.
Tata, just fire and blacklist your QC guys. And poach some from Toyota or Hyundai. They lay to waste all the hardwork of the engineering guys. Just took the feel away from what was otherwise the best all rounder of the quartet.

XUV300 - Loved it. Had a shrunken Harrier feel to it. Willing to overlook the slight hassle of a non India friendly ORVM. Bikers galore here. But the rear seat felt all wrong.

If wishes were horses. The bodyshape, engine, drivetrain and tuning from XUV300. The overall quality, interiors, seats and steering feel from Ecosport. The body quality, space and suspension tuning from Nexon in a friendly package of the Brezza.
Bonus? A.S.S from Toyota
Old 8th October 2020, 18:52   #112
Senior - BHPian

Which car - XUV300 or Hyundai Venue

Hello all,

This is my first post on Team Bhp, would like to thank the mods for granting me membership. Coming to my question, I am in a confusion as to which car to go for. XUV300 or the Venue.

My requirements: Budget - up to 15 lakhs, definitely a petrol, should be a compact SUV, safety is of paramount importance, I need all the safety features that a car of this budget comes with, premium feel, practicality of features, easy to maintain (more of easy serviceability), hassle free ownership experience. I would be doing an 80% city and 20% highway drives (with family and friends). Daily running (in a normal world) would be around 25 Kms.

I have test driven both cars and I think the XUV is far better than the Venue in almost all the parameters. I am no expert on cars but I felt the XUV had far better interiors, definitely more features and had great drivability. While the Venue looked promising, the engine did not feel punchy nor did the interiors. I felt the quality of plastics on the XUV to be far better than the Venue. I am confused if my opinion is right. The XUV had a softer clutch play, easy maneuverability and was fun to drive. The Venue simply did not reach the expectations I had. After reading all reviews and doing my homework, I feel I may be missing something obvious. Can you please advise?

My only worry is about Mahindra's ASS. Rest, IMHO, I think the XUV supersedes the Venue in most possible ways. If my assessment is right, then why is it that the XUV is not knocking off the sales charts yet? Would request all the experts to throw some light and help me make a choice. Thanks in advance.

Mods, did not find an exactly similar thread, please merge or delete as required. Thank you.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 18:57   #113
BHPian

Re: Which car - XUV300 or Hyundai Venue

Go for the XUV300. It's spacious, practical (minus the tiny boot), well equipped, and has gotten a 5 star rating in the Global NCAP.

Personally, I found the Venue to be more fun to drive than the XUV300, but in most other factors, the Mahindra is the superior one. The only reason that it hasn't set the sales chart on fire is because at launch it was priced higher than its competitors, which Mahindra has recently rectified with a price cut.

As for the Mahindra ASS, have a positive and firm relationship with the service personnel. That'll ensure a smooth aftersales. Congratulations in advance on your new acquisition.
BZ25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 19:01   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
Go for the XUV300. It's spacious, practical (minus the tiny boot), well equipped, and has gotten a 5 star rating in the Global NCAP.

Personally, I found the Venue to be more fun to drive than the XUV300, but in most other factors, the Mahindra is the superior one. The only reason that it hasn't set the sales chart on fire is because at launch it was priced higher than its competitors, which Mahindra has recently rectified with a price cut.

As for the Mahindra ASS, have a positive and firm relationship with the service personnel. That'll ensure a smooth aftersales. Congratulations in advance on your new acquisition.
Thank you BZ25, I did look at the tiny boot and it lingered in my mind as a deal breaker for a long time (2 months), then I checked it out for practicality and thought it would not do that bad of a job. The showroom experience at Mahindra was better than Venue. It took me two weeks to get a TD at Hyundai while it took me just one day at Mahindra. The rep even asked me to abuse the vehicle and check all the features. I have a very light foot, I just took the vehicle past 2K RPM and found it to be pulling like a train. I was totally satisfied with how all the buttons felt too. I like the idea of having a good relation with the service personnel. Thank you.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 19:03   #115
BHPian

Any reason for not considering the Kia Sonet?

It seems like the best fit based on your requirements.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 19:07   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
Any reason for not considering the Kia Sonet?

It seems like the best fit based on your requirements.
sv97, my only reason for not looking at the Sonet is that it is a newly baked product. I am not very confident on Kia's ASS yet. These are some reasons that are making me apprehensive about Kia altogether. Also, the waiting period seems to be around 6 weeks with no TD car in sight.
Old 8th October 2020, 19:12   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
sv97, my only reason for not looking at the Sonet is that it is a newly baked product. I am not very confident on Kia's ASS yet. These are some reasons that are making me apprehensive about Kia altogether. Also, the waiting period seems to be around 6 weeks with no TD car in sight.
I think you should wait and TD the Sonet and then make up your mind because it would be worth it completely is what I personally feel.

Many BHPians have appreciated Kia's A.S.S so I think you should not be wary of that.
Old 8th October 2020, 19:20   #118
BANNED

Welcome to the forum Raghu M. We have What Car section for these kind of posts. Here's what I have to say:

1. Both were wonderful cars but given your requirements, XUV300 is the car to go with. Choose between smaller boot or smaller rear seat according to your usage.

2. If your only problem with Mahindra is A.S.S then remember Hyundai's after sales service is no better, actually it is gradually declining these days. Just go to the respective service centers in your locality, spend some time there and interact with existing owners and service advisors over there, this might help you in getting an idea about what to expect from the respective service centers.

3. Extensive back to back test drives, single and with family, will further help in selecting one between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Hello all,

This is my first post on Team Bhp, would like to thank the mods for granting me membership. Coming to my question, I am in a confusion as to which car to go for. XUV300 or the Venue.
How can this be your first post?

Last edited by wheelguy : 8th October 2020 at 19:46.
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 19:22   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

I hope you drove the XUV300 petrol and not the diesel considering you said it was pulling like a train! Tachometer of both petrol and diesel XUV300s is same could be a mistake on the SA's part as well that he gave you a diesel instead of a petrol. In petrol the Venue definitely has a better engine compared to Mahindra's its the opposite for the diesel where the XUV 300's diesel is a torque monster! If manual petrol is your requirement then Venue SX(O) makes sense since it gets 6 airbags and other safety equipment.

Any reason for not looking at the EcoSport? I feel this still is the best compact SUV in petrol, has a amazing 1.5L engine, pick up the S trim and you will get 6 airbags and the best SYNC 3 system in the business. Safety-wise Ecosport is solidly built car even if not crash-tested you can feel the thud on closing the doors.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 20:16   #120
BHPian

For XUV300:
(+) Bigger and better platform - feels driving the next segment car in all aspects. Wider track, longer wheelbase, 5 star chasis (Plenty discussion on another threads), 7 airbags
(+) Ride comfort and interior space: Suspension is lot better than Venue and as good as Nexon. Rear seat has most space with headrest for 3rd passenger.
(-) No Automatic transmission. Tall gear lever with long throws, slightly larger steering, long clutch travel.

For Venue:
(+) Small footprint makes it easy to drive in city. Better ergonomics.
(+) Modern head unit with connected car features.
(+) Fast DCT Automatic available.
(-) Interior space comparable to i20. Average ride quality.
(-) Unknown Safety ratings

I felt Venue had more turbo lag in comparison. Since your drive is 80% in city do consider if is it better going for an automatic.
anthusiast is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks