Team-BHP - Need a Tourer with AWD / 4x4
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Need a Tourer with AWD / 4x4 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/208885-need-tourer-awd-4x4-3.html)

In my opinion, do not worry too much about the future of diesel. Buy it and enjoy it. Your car will be legally roadworthy for at least 10 years if not 15.

There are no Petrol tourers available. So if you choose to buy pre-owned, you have the following options:

1. Grand Vitara - Last one sold was in ~2014. Already 5 years old. Life left - 10 years. Same as a new diesel, if not less.

2. Chevrolet Forester - Last one was sold in 2005. Already 14 years old. Life left - 1 year. And you'll have a tough time looking for parts.

3. Mitsubishi Outlander - You may find a newer example.

Not to forget the FE. You'll think thrice driving any of these on a 1000Km road-trip given their abysmal FE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A M (Post 4583051)
I
1. Grand Vitara - Last one sold was in ~2014. Already 5 years old. Life left - 10 years. Same as a new diesel, if not less.

2. Chevrolet Forester - Last one was sold in 2005. Already 14 years old. Life left - 1 year. And you'll have a tough time looking for parts.

3. Mitsubishi Outlander - You may find a newer example.

You can also add Skoda Yeti 4X4 (it will have the problem of high maintenance) to the list

Quote:

Originally Posted by locusjag (Post 4583036)
I had a Nissan Rogue AWD; it didn't come with a system which engaged all the wheels all the time. In fact, the computer would even decide to power only one wheel at times (in certain situations). The static split of 25% to each wheel was available as an option, if I would switch on the "AWD lock" button on the dashboard.

But - it is interesting to hear your input and I'll try to read about the Subaru system. Thanks for writing! :thumbs up

I don't know if we are going OT here. Most of the so called 'AWD' systems are front wheel drive biased and I suspect this include Nissans. Even when the AWD lock is engaged, most of the power goes to the front wheels (may be the rear wheels in some rare cases). Subaru AWD is unique and exceptional in that respect. But I agree that in case the car has the option/ability to send equal power to all wheels, then you need to maintain all tyres in similar condition.

Look for a used Bolero 4WD. As rough as it may be, it has a proven combination of hardware. You'd need something reliable to explore the unknown. Now that Mahindra service centers popping up everywhere (because of the expanding truck business), you'll at least have some place to reach out to if something goes south.

With a good set of tires, it's could prove to be a good companion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy (Post 4581632)

5. Ford Ecosport: Eventhough the news has it that Ford is to stop individual venture in India, they have way too many cars on the road to just pack up and leave. Ecosport is a great Car, 1.5 TDCi is a cracker of Engine. Offers great drivability and Fuel Economy too. Good Handling. But again no AWD/4x4.

It's a big dilemma in choosing the right vehicle for oneself. But as others have rightly said, do look into the pre-owned market for proper SUV's and maybe you are able to find a good deal.

However, I wanted to point out that Ford India isn't planning on leaving India. As per media reports/speculations, Ford India may undergo changes in their future Strategy and can end up with Joint Venture with Mahindra and act as Ford Mahindra in India as a new entity. Maybe the end result would be that Ford might cease operations on a standalone basis in Indian Market.

Need a Tourer with AWD / 4x4-fordemail.jpg

Link: https://www.mycarhelpline.com/index....1841&Itemid=10

OP: Pardon me for asking but what kind of offroad experience are you looking forward to? If it requires low range box then you have only Thar/Gurkha in your budget.
If it requires AWD (for driving in slush etc for better traction) then Duster AWD is the only option.
If it just requires a higher GC then there are a plethora of choices in your budget in the form of compact SUVs.

Also if you are in a lookout of a tourer please go with diesel. It might lead to more trips :)

Quote:

- Touring: (I'm crazy about roadtrips, especially impormptu ones!) Highway mile munching. Off-beat Destinations. Himalayas/Nilgiris/Western Ghats are what I look forward to.

Impromptu road trips mean you need to have a Toyota (or equivalent) in your garage. Not many manufacturers can boast of a 'fill it, shut it & forget it' type of vehicles.

But, Duster is one of them and given your requirement of a compact SUV with AWD, you simply don't have any other option, not unless you wish to go the pre-owned way.
Quote:

- Fuel: I was inclined to Diesel, but looking at the way things are going, I have a big doubt about the future of Diesel. Turbo Petrols seem to be good alternate!

Do you intend to keep the car for more than 10 years? Honestly, if I was to keep a car for more than 10 years then instead of a futuristic one I'd rather get one with minimal electronics so that it can serve me without much issues. Here again, Duster makes sense.
Quote:

- 4X4 / AWD : Not that I am a hardcore Offroader, but i have always wanted to own a machine that could go literally anywhere, snow, slush, trails. 4x4 has the potential to take you to places no 4x2 can. Period!

For snow and slush Duster may prove to be better than, lets say a Fortuner, owing to its low weight. I own a 2013 Fortuner myself and have used it in deep snow, slush and some of the unforgiving Himalayan passes. However, all those were doable in Duster also, in fact Duster's suspension would've made it even more comfortable.

Unless you must have that comparatively higher GC, Duster is one of the best AWD vehicles made for Indian roads.

Please don't get carried away by the umpteen gizmos that're offered these days, they do make your life a little convenient but is nothing comparable to a rather bland utilitarian go-anywhere vehicle that serves you for a decade without breaking a sweat.

Happy Car Hunting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy (Post 4581681)
Thank you for your cents. Trust me I have gone through all these threads throroughly. I completely agree with you, it's the duster alone that matches with my requirements. As far as the other contenders are concrned, as I couldn't find anything that would tick all the boxes, I had to sacrifise on some requirements.

With Duster, I'm more concerned with the long term reliability of the Company. A.S.S stories are also of no true help, with so many customers complaining about the rather erratic experience they have had while servicing!

A former Duster owner here, I sold my car when it had done 196k and most of the time was serviced at FNG. That should clear your doubts about reliability.

Although the engine is super reliable, there are some smaller niggles that can crop up as your use increases but you will be fine if you know some good FNG or have a nice rapport with Renault ASS.

Out the whole lot you have mentioned, I guess Duster fits your bills most and it will serve you well for quite some time.
My suggestion will be finding a used AWD Duster (since the resale is pretty low), that way you can keep some money aside for any maintenance/reliability issues which can crop up. Classic case of having your cake and eating it too :D

Thank You so much everyone, after meticulously evaluating all options, I have jotted down couple of points.

1. As I understand, AWD is available only in Duster. I am completely convinced it is a great Tourer, with fantastic Ride Quality, Very efficient Diesel Engine, and competent AWD. However, I am unable to connect with the vehicle, just doesn't appeals my heart. And this being my first car, I want the decision to be from my heart more than mind.

2. Used Car offers a plethora of options, to choose from. But all of them have a huge footprint. And it's going to be a huge deal breaker as daily car too.
3. As I mentioned earlier, it'll be good to have AWD, not a dire necessity. There are many places which only an AWD can go, and not 4x2! This statement is going to break my heart everytime. stupid:

After carefully thinking about it, I have decided to let AWD go. Maybe my next car will be an 4WD, when I would be in a position to invest moolah on bigger cars!
I am going to book Hyundai Venue, for all heart and mind decisions. This car is quite special to me! Reason, cannot be told here. I will be booking the Turbo Petrol to feed the enthusiast in me happy. And as vehicle I have a staunch faith, it will be a great tourer too.

I hope, manufacturers wake up to the call and give us AWD/4WD in smaller cars as well. I am pretty sure, had Jimny been launched in India, it would have eaten up most of the compact SUVs sale.

At the outset, I truly appreciate and admire each of you, to help me generously in the buying decision. This is one forum, where the diversity and knowledge, is just priceless.
Thank You all for your kind efforts in giving me inputs.

Requesting mods to kindly close the thread as i have finally made my decision.

I fall in same category. I love travelling. Roads are second home to me. Mostly I travel with my wife.

Sometimes I've reached to places where hotel availability was the issue. Bearing this in mind, I had thought I will buy the vehicle which has following capabilities.
1. It can go to most of the places without scraping its underbelly aka high GC.
2. Rear must have flexible seating configuration. It would be good if rear area can also be used as sleeping area.
3. Service / RSA is not an issue

The vehicles I considered were following
1. Scorpio / Scorpio Getaway
2. Used Fortuner
3. XUV5OO
4. Isuzu V-Cross
5. TATA Hexa

Requirement 1 - All these 5 vehicles surely have ability to go most of the places.
Requirement 2 - Scorpio / Fortuner required rear seats to be unbolted in order to make it bed. Isuzu V Cross / Scorpio getaway required installation of canopy to make rear boot usable. XUV and Hexa have flexi seating configuration but XUV is winner because its flat bed is really flat. You can sleep over it without any discomfort.
Requirement 3 - Isuzu did not meet this requirement.

Except V-Cross rest everyone ticked all boxes but XUV5OO became my choice as it excels in point #2.

These were my requirements and I shared my point of view with you.

@GTO - I like Jeep Compass but it's front overhang really bothers me about its poor approach angle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v_safari (Post 4583025)
A RWD is way better than a FWD while offroading. Also RWD 4x2 can take you to places where a FWD can't.

In my experience, a FWD is a better offroader than an equivalent RWD. When a FWD loses traction in mud/slush, you have the option of vigorously steering left and right in order to get traction and get moving like you do in 4wds. In a RWD, you don’t have that option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nifty.Nishy (Post 4583216)
After carefully thinking about it, I have decided to let AWD go. Maybe my next car will be an 4WD, when I would be in a position to invest moolah on bigger cars!
I am going to book Hyundai Venue, for all heart and mind decisions.

Good choice! You can drive to Leh in a Maruti 800 - AWD is nice to have but there's plenty of touring options that don't need it.

However, consider the diesel Venue too when you test drive. 10 years is a very long time - it is far more likely that you'll upgrade long before that limit. The three cylinder petrol is also a new one so it may be unimpressive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez (Post 4583378)
Good choice! You can drive to Leh in a Maruti 800 - AWD is nice to have but there's plenty of touring options that don't need it.

However, consider the diesel Venue too when you test drive. 10 years is a very long time - it is far more likely that you'll upgrade long before that limit. The three cylinder petrol is also a new one so it may be unimpressive.

Thank you. And yes there's still a lot of touring that can be done without the AWD. And Yup, You are right about the diesel thing. I am going to decide based on the pricing actually.

Having owned an Ecosport, driven the Duster AWD and presently driving the Mahinda Thar, believe me there is nothing like the confidence a low ratio 4X4 vehicle offers. I live and drive in Darjeeling with some of the most challenging driving terrain in the country which becomes even more dangerous during the monsoons. I would only choose one other vehicle over the Thar and that would be the Isuzu DMax V Cross but the size of that beast is very discouraging. Having said that, the Thar remains the best bet. Believe me there are no such thing as niggles in the Thar, it a mechanically robust vehicle equivalent to a tank. It remains a mystery to me why people complain of small things like wipers, soft tops and air conditioner in the Thar on this forum. If you can add a hard top to the Thar, you are set for everything the trail has to throw towards you. Or else Mahindra Bolero LX 4WD can also get the job done albeit not as effectively as the Thar.

Quote:

I'm in a serious dilemma in deciding what to buy, I hope your expertise could help me narrow down, or find something that I missed.

I am seeing some contradicting statements here. if you need a proper hardtop SUV with safety features, then why Thar is even considered? Also you have to give some info on your budget.

If there is no budget constraint, any day I will take a Fortuner and second option as Ford Endeavour. Else I will consider a Duster AWD or a Storme 4x4.There is a risk for Duster from the company point of view, but its worth taking for what you get for the money and it doesn't have a low range gearbox which you might be already aware.

Force Gurkha I might drop based on the safety requirements and refinement even with the new update. I think on road comfort might be a bit on the lower side compared to any SUV above. Other than that it’s the best offroader available in India with two diff locks under 20L range.

Just adding my two cents.

I recently went on a small rough road outing to a dried river basin in Hoshiarpur Punjab. We had a fortuner, two modified Thars and an AWD Duster. It was a an outing through initially a rough dirt trail followed by slush and finally sand. The Fortuner was the king. But then if I am spending 40 odd Lakhs I would not take my prized baby out through such bad stuff. I mean one wouldn't feel like doing it.

Driving the thars was an absolute joy. Throw anything at it, it just moves on. But I was surprised by the duster awd. It's got nice interiors. I was surprised by the ride comfort. The first gear is actually a low ratio. Didn't have any problem. In fact even the company recommended that the first gear be only used for rough road outing. On Tarmac one is supposed to start driving from second gear. Although it required some effort but the duster kept up.

Thar is good but doesn't offer space and comfort. Plus you will have to spend one to two lacs additionaly to get the beast a modified stance. Fortuner offers everything but at a huge price. Plus one is always scared of putting a dent on the behemoth because of the size. I liked the duster. Has space comfort and a bit of everything. Plus decent highway performance. Size too is manageable. And it's a decent family car as well.

So look at your budget and then decide. You can't go wrong with any of these but it's all a matter of priorities. Thar makes sense as a second vehicle. If you are looking at a one man for all jobs then don't look beyond the Fortuner or Duster.