Old 5th May 2019, 20:02   #46
r.K
BHPian

Default Re: Need a Tourer with AWD / 4x4

I'm in the same dilemma. My needs are as follows:

- Will use for highway trips and 3 says a week use
- Must have curtain and side air bags
- Must be an SUV
- 4wd/awd would be nice to have, considering I won't do hard core off-roading; but would definitely miss it on those steep ghat roads
- Budget of 15L - 18L (new or used. I will take a loan)

And on the other hand I'm also thinking why not go for a used bmw/audi/volvo (don't think suv would fit in budget)

I'm looking at a Volvo v40 or an xc60. Would this be expensive to maintain?
What is the avg cost of maintenance for a used volvo and the German cars?
Would I be able to purchase warranty on the used car?
r.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 15:48   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.K View Post
I'm in the same dilemma. My needs are as follows:

- Will use for highway trips and 3 says a week use
- Must have curtain and side air bags
- Must be an SUV
- 4wd/awd would be nice to have, considering I won't do hard core off-roading; but would definitely miss it on those steep ghat roads
- Budget of 15L - 18L (new or used. I will take a loan)

And on the other hand I'm also thinking why not go for a used bmw/audi/volvo (don't think suv would fit in budget)

I'm looking at a Volvo v40 or an xc60. Would this be expensive to maintain?
What is the avg cost of maintenance for a used volvo and the German cars?
Would I be able to purchase warranty on the used car?

I had a similar dilemma about the same time last year, and needed a car to push on where there aren't roads (not hardcore off-road trails), seat 5 in comfort, house a dog and enough luggage for 4 odd days.

A 7 seater was deemed feasible, and with a similar budget, booked a pre-worshipped Fortuner: 6 years old, 40k km on the odo, 4X4. Drove and rejected an Endy of similar vintage, primarily for the iffy suspension on the rear wheels.

A few days post the Fortuner, happened to drive the Hexa, and was genuinely blown away. Booked the 4X4, and have been a happy bunny for the last 7 months. Clocked 17k km till now, with several sojourns off the paved surface.

It is an AWD, but with enough grunt and GC to clear most of what I generally have to face. Packs ESP, roll-over mitigation, HDC, curtain air-bags, side air-bags and most of all, fantastic suspension. Munches miles happily (admittedly, the most I have driven in her over a day is around 650km), and in absolute comfort.

The sound set up is an added bonus.

Last edited by thedragonreborn : 8th May 2019 at 15:52. Reason: Added details
thedragonreborn is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2019, 18:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents...
  • If hardcore off-road trails/destinations are out of bounds, then let's drop the "proper" 4WD vehicles (read low range) from the discussion. With this, you also eliminate all body-on-frame SUVs which, by the way, can NEVER provide you the levels of comfort that a monocoque crossover can
  • With that out of the way, if you need a 5-seater AWD, do not look any further than the Duster AWD - known for its unmatched ride quality and surprisingly capable AWD prowess. Jeep Compass 4WD could be another contender but IMHO, it is not worth the extra money that you'd pay over the Duster.
  • If it is a 7-seater that you are looking for, Tata Hexa AWD is a very strong contender. The ride quality, plush interiors, ICE, are all top notch. It is an amazing tourer.
  • If AWD is not a must-have then the Ford Ecosport petrol AT is an amazing car. A close friend has it and he swears by the driving pleasure.

Hope this helps!
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote