Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which SUV would you pick?
Tata Harrier 87 35.37%
Hyundai Creta 8 3.25%
Jeep Compass 74 30.08%
Mahindra XUV500 16 6.50%
Renault Duster 7 2.85%
Tata Hexa 42 17.07%
Mahindra Scorpio 3 1.22%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 3.66%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2019, 11:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier vs the competition

Voted for the overall sorted package!!

Jeep Compass.

I would happily put my money on Compass. As Harrier and Hexa are still far from niggles free state and reliability is still a concern.

Harrier would be my second choice. However, I would wait till second generation as GTO suggested.

Cheers!
Old 22nd May 2019, 13:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

SUV = 4x4 in my books. So right away the Harrier and Creta are out of the poll. I agree that majority won't buy this, but manufacturers should at least have it as an option.

After having a go in the Harrier, I didn't find it differentiating enough over regular hatchbacks on stills. Further any appeal remaining was gone once I saw the niggles, panel gaps, fit and finish.

Yes, the Compass is expensive and the Trailhawk even more so, but suddenly it seems to offer a lot more value for my $$$. The least TATA should have done is offer a 4x4 in their so called 'SUV'.

Last edited by SDP : 22nd May 2019 at 14:08. Reason: Minor typo
blackwasp is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 21:48   #18
BHPian

TATA Hexa & Harrier are in No. 1 position for me and I voted for Hexa over Harrier as only it has an AUTO box. And to add, the TBHP official review of Harrier is not giving me enough confidence to put my money.
No. 3 is occupied by XUV 5oo. This is a very close contender along with the 2 on 1st spot. Why this was considered below? The riding comfort is not up to Hexa (Harrier, I do not have an experience) and price wise, both are almost in same territory.
No. 4 is Compass - it is a very distant contender; no where close to XUV. I love the car to the core, I drove it and liked it and was sad at the same time as it is a Fiat car. I am skeptical on the future of Fiat in India and hence have lost the confidence in the brand as I am not sure if they can support me when I am in a problematic situation. This is purely my observation and feeling, no offence meant to any owners. I will own a Compass only if it is gifted to me or if they improve their presence in India. I loved Fiat cars, I didn't have money to buy Linea 10 years back when I bought the Accent and I have recommended Punto to 2 very close friends who have thanked me in-numerous times. However, the current situation is not confidence inspiring.
Hyundai Creta - too pricey for what it offers.
Renault Duster - too old and hear some issue with Renault.
Mahindra Scorpio - riding & driving comfort. This was tested to a great extended while my sister bought XUV5oo.

Last edited by Jakku : 19th June 2019 at 21:51. Reason: Correcting spelling and grammar mistakes.
Old 19th June 2019, 21:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hexa XZA from the current options.

If I am in the market to buy one I would wait for Harrier AT or Seltos AT or Compass AT diesel variant.
Old 19th June 2019, 22:15   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
SUV = 4x4 in my books.

After having a go in the Harrier, I didn't find it differentiating enough over regular hatchbacks on stills. Further any appeal remaining was gone once I saw the niggles, panel gaps, fit and finish.

Yes, the Compass is expensive and the Trailhawk even more so, but suddenly it seems to offer a lot more value for my $$$. The least TATA should have done is offer a 4x4 in their so called 'SUV'.

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp
After having a go in the Harrier, I didn't find it differentiating enough over regular hatchbacks on stills.
Interesting observation here. Quite surprised, to be honest. I expected TATA to give the Harrier the SUV DNA at the very least, given that they expect this to be a Safari successor.
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 11:46   #21
BHPian

Hexa takes No.1 spot, because of the fantastic TC gearbox, and the overall packaging and features on offer.

As for second, both the Creta and XUV500 offer lots of features, but the XUV500 takes my No.2 for offering more interior space, although the fit and finish and interior quality are nowhere near Creta levels.

The compass is a great car, one that would please enthusiasts very easily, but I do not believe that the compass has much to offer to justify its 25lac+ price tag on the road. Maybe it's because I prioritise interior space before any "enthusiastic engines and handling", and the rear seat felt a cramped compared to the Harrier and the XUV.

If the Limited Plus was 20-21 lacs on road, maybe around 50k more than what the Hector costs, it's easily justifiable, but 25+? No.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 14:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wouldn't buy or recommend the Tata Harrier in its current form. It's too unfinished, has too many rough edges and is very problematic. Can revisit after a year or two.

My 1st choice would be the Jeep Compass. It's the best to drive, has a lovely engine, is the best handler of the group and comes with a decent AWD. The enthusiast's choice, without a doubt.

If I wanted something at a lower price point, I'd get the Hyundai Creta, enjoy its refinement and cruise around town comfortably.

The Compass & Creta are both faster than the Harrier & will outhandle it. The Harrier's steering above 100 kmph is simply dangerous!
Since I am in the market for a car, now that Harrier revised version has been launched and the Seltos/Creta are new with a new xuv around the corner, would you recommend Harrier to people now?
Old 31st May 2020, 18:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the others. My favorite in this segment remains the MG Hector. Just slap on bigger wheels/tyres and the ugly side looks make this car a good looker, even from sides. That's the only chink in its armour IMO.
I prioritize comfort vs driving dynamics in this segment. My sedan should be enough for the driving fun!

My order of preference for the choices provided will be-
1)Hector (Great cruiser, with practically no weaknesses)
2)XUV (Competent all rounder)
3)Hexa (The irreversible MUVish looks break my heart everytime :( )
4)Duster (Punches way above its weight)
5)Harrier (Too little, too late)
6)Compass (My father's friend is frustrated beyond measure with the JEEP ASS)
7)Creta (Still can't digest the looks!)
8)Scorpio (Hopelessly outdated)

Last edited by 07CR : 31st May 2020 at 18:48.
Old 2nd June 2020, 17:08   #24
BANNED

A Replacement for Toyota Innova: An SUV for 20-23 lakhs.

Background:

I own a Toyota Innova which has completed a little less than two and a half lakh kilometers in 10 years. It is a diesel and I live in the Delhi NCR region, so as soon as the lockdown ends, I would have to sell this car and start to look for a new one. Till now I have had an awesome experience with my Innova. This car is supremely comfortable. It also has never disappointed us on our highway trips and some mild off-roading experiences. Coming back to the replacement.

My requirements:

1. Since I am looking for an SUV, so it should preferably be a diesel.

2. Definitely an automatic. This is largely due the traffic on the roads of Gurugram, Delhi and Noida. An automatic makes the job that much easier.

3. It should be a new car and not a pre-owned.

4. It would mainly be driven by my father and it is just the three of us, so we do not need a car with seven seats although Innova Crysta is in the consideration list.

5. The car should be comfortable and reliable.

Cars that I have shortlisted:
1. Toyota Innova Crysta 2.4 GX Automatic.
2. Jeep Compass Longitude Plus Automatic
3. Tata Harrier XZA+
4. Hyundai Creta Sx(o) Turbo Petrol
5. Honda City 5Th generation petrol in the top model Spec.
6. Not sure about the reliability of the Seltos and Hector since they are newcomers in our market. If the existing owners say that it's reliable, I may consider them too.

Please help me choose a fit replacement for my Innova that can serve me for the next 5-7 years.

Thanks,
Tachyonites.

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd June 2020 at 19:58. Reason: Formatting
Tachyonites is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 17:39   #25
BHPian

Re: A Replacement for Toyota Innova: An SUV for 20-23 lakhs.

Seeing just your requirements, I would have suggested the Jeep Compass or the Kia Seltos, if you wanted to save some money. They fit well.

But, you have spent 10 years with an Innova! I don't think anything else, however good, will appeal to you. If you don't have any other concerns, you should just go with the Crysta! I have driven and travelled in both the older Innova and Crysta, and the Crysta is really a major upgrade.
bansal.sushant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 17:47   #26
BHPian

If your main consideration is driving yourself means not chauffeur driven than it should Jeep Compass otherwise for comfort and reliability Innova Crysta eyes closed buying option.
One more thing highway fuel efficiency of Compass is too good to be ignored as compared to Crysta,if it matters to you.
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 19:00   #27
Senior - BHPian

Only an Innova can replace an Innova. Go for the GX AT. It is as good as an SUV as any car in that list. Beats every car in that list for GC. Harrier may have an advantage in slippery conditions because of its traction control magic, but the famed Tata parts quality offsets that advantage.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 2nd June 2020 at 19:03.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 20:33   #28
BHPian

Being a current owner of previous gen Innova, I know how hard it is to replace with anything other than another Innova. But in your case, since it'll be self driven and more than 4 seats is not necessary, you can take a look at Compass and new T roc. The VW is new in the market but normally VWs are known as driver's car so do give it a try. Also, since you have kept City in your list, you can check the new Civic as well as it will be within your budget.
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2020, 00:31   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyonites View Post
Cars that I have shortlisted:
1. Toyota Innova Crysta 2.4 GX Automatic.
2. Jeep Compass Longitude Plus Automatic
3. Tata Harrier XZA+
4. Hyundai Creta Sx(o) Turbo Petrol
5. Honda City 5Th generation petrol in the top model Spec.
6. Not sure about the reliability of the Seltos and Hector since they are newcomers in our market. If the existing owners say that it's reliable, I may consider them too.

Please help me choose a fit replacement for my Innova that can serve me for the next 5-7 years.
Replacement for an Innova is an Innova only.

But if Innova is off the list and a 5 seater car is preferred, my order of choice:

1. Tata Harrier XZA+
2. Jeep Compass
3. Hyundai Creta/Kia Seltos 1.4 T-GDI

I feel the Harrier will be a great replacement for the Innova if it is not going to be an Innova again. That 'engine + gearbox' combination should be great.
Old 3rd June 2020, 01:12   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

It has to be a Crysta. Even Toyota knows, there is no alternative for the Crysta in our market and they enjoy the monopoly by hiking the price whenever they want! So even by paying a premium, I will suggest you to get the Crysta.
Owning a Toyota is always boring and hassle free. A perfect brand for owners who want to keep their cars for a long time.

If you want to look at any other car, do consider the Tata Hexa automatic.

Last edited by Samba : 3rd June 2020 at 01:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks