Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2007, 19:42   #1
BHPian

Scorpio DX CRDE vs Verna VGT

I know this sounds like a Apple Vs Watermelon comparison..but right now these are the only two which make sense to me and I like both (And cannot afford both together !!)

I have ruled out the

1. NHC (Need a more rugged car)
2. Fiesta. (Was never a ford fan and also find the back seat space very limited..and my friends dont reccomend it due to the higher spare costs)
3. Innova...Dont like the form factor

Have yet to TD the Verna, and willl be doing it this weekend

FOund the Scorpio excellent except for the roll in the back seat when going through bad roads but it still takes them well at a good speed. I liked it a lot

My requirements

1. Diesel
2 Capable of going through rough roads (unpaved etc) without too much loss in comfort
3. low on maintainence and good A.S.S.
4. Ideally able to carry a 6th person in ( my usual "freight" is 1 wife+2 small kids..may need to take along 2 Inlaws/Parents as well without too much of a hassle)

It is going to be self driven and crowded city driving is only going to be around 20-30% of time and perhaps less in terms of KMs

apologies in case it sounds random..have been trying to put in some pragmatic rationalisation which may not be pragmatic to all ears !
Old 31st January 2007, 20:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

hmmm interesting decision. Instead of the Scorpio have you considered the Safari dicor. The maintenance is similar to the Scorpio and I feel it is a much better car on highways and bad roads.
It also has an advantage in the city...you can bully all the other smaller vehicles and make your own road.

The Verna is a good choice but space is a problem for the 5th and 6th person.
Old 31st January 2007, 20:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

oh boy.. they are both totally diffrent cars.. like vid said for the verna the only problem is the 6th person.. if you want the scorpio wait till they launch the new engine which should be in the next few months.

im sure the *** if hyundai will be way better than that of mahindra.
and if its gonna be self driven go for the verna because with the scorpio itll be a lot more stressful driving and finding parking.

but let me also suggest you look at the innova. the seven seater will take 6 of you in total comfort.. please check it out unless youve already taken a td and dont like it.
Old 31st January 2007, 21:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
hmmm interesting decision. Instead of the Scorpio have you considered the Safari dicor. The maintenance is similar to the Scorpio and I feel it is a much better car on highways and bad roads.
It also has an advantage in the city...you can bully all the other smaller vehicles and make your own road.

The Verna is a good choice but space is a problem for the 5th and 6th person.
I did consider it..From what i know from some folks who do own the older safaris, maint is a real problem and so is the driving..although it is the most comfortable of the choices for the back seat.

I am pretty sure i am not interested in that

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
im sure the A.S.S. of hyundai will be way better than that of mahindra.
and if its gonna be self driven go for the verna because with the scorpio itll be a lot more stressful driving and finding parking.

but let me also suggest you look at the innova. the seven seater will take 6 of you in total comfort.. please check it out unless youve already taken a td and dont like it.
The scorpio was surprisingly very light and responsive..had not problem in getting the feel of it (In fact rather loved it !) but yes..parking in the city is going to be a problem..

I thik ill actually fit in some folks into the back of a Verna to get a feel..

The Innova..its too big (Length wise) for Indian roads is what I felt. definitely much more luxurious inside though. but my wife and i simply dont like the looks
Old 31st January 2007, 21:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Interesting choices and difficult to suggest for sure!

Between Safari and Verna I suggest Scorpio anyday.

According to me you TD Innova once more I own one infact Petrol Innova its simply great car to drive (although I travel @back Seat) in city and its amazing on highways!

Innova is just shorter than safari (safari is most difficult car to drive in city agreed..) and slightly longer than scporpio but Innova is the car which is very easy to drive I highly suggest that for sure!

Otherwise go for scorpio. Safari/Innova/Scorpio any time better than sedan (Verna) in ride comfort.

Driving Innova is driving like Sedan its great aerodynamics/ nice interiors feel you drive 14+lac car. I personally don't like Safari nor scorpio since they (because they are SUV..) are like trucks.

If you own Innova its like car feeling not definately VAN!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 1st February 2007, 00:05   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

SH@rpshooter : You dont like the innova's form factor, i'd still suggest you to test drive one. I'm sure it will change your mind.
Old 1st February 2007, 01:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Capable of going through rough roads (unpaved etc) without too much loss in comfort
The verna looses out here.Between the two you have narrowed down too its definitely the scorpio over the verna in this regard.

Quote:
It is going to be self driven and crowded city driving is only going to be around 20-30% of time and perhaps less in terms of KMs
Deciding between the two essentially should depend on what your highway adventures essentially are.If it is the usual expressway stuff and an occasional trip on the not so good roads then the verna makes more sense considering the mileage figures,modern engine,better service[no idea about maintainance costs since verna is a new launch].

The better car for bad roads between the two
is no doubt the scorpio[plus the added bonus that you can seat six people easily].So if your trips include a major element of these kind of roads then the scorpio is a better choice.

Ps: There is talk about a new 2.2l scorpio.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 1st February 2007 at 01:49.
Old 1st February 2007, 01:52   #8
BHPian

Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
SH@rpshooter : You dont like the innova's form factor, i'd still suggest you to test drive one. I'm sure it will change your mind.
........................... I am sure. it's has ample space to carry the family with luggage... Good to handle @ highways...

I read in ACI, that tyre's (tires) last only for about 20k kms... that's sad... Btw how about the tyre mileage for TATA Safari & Scorpio? Any one has an idea?
Old 1st February 2007, 02:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

OT:

Even qualis tyres were reported to last only for 20k kms.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 1st February 2007 at 02:05.
Old 1st February 2007, 02:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hmmm interesting decision. Instead of the Scorpio have you considered the Safari dicor.
My thoughts exactly...

Quote:
The maintenance is similar to the Scorpio and I feel it is a much better car on highways and bad roads.
Safari is cheaper to maintain than the Scorpio..Also the Safari LX has more features than the scorpio..and is way cheaper.

Godfather
Old 1st February 2007, 09:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
i second that..
Old 1st February 2007, 15:16   #12
BHPian

OK folks..I think you have convinced me to do a Innova TD as well...although the power everything version on Diesel does go a bit overboard on comparison..
Old 1st February 2007, 21:28   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh@rpshooter View Post
OK folks..I think you have convinced me to do a Innova TD as well...although the power everything version on Diesel does go a bit overboard on comparison..
i didnt get what your saying?
Old 1st February 2007, 22:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
i didnt get what your saying?
i think i needed to be clearer... What I meant that the diesel version with POwer Windows/Steering/Central locking seems to be much higher cost wise on the Innova ( around 1L)
Old 1st February 2007, 22:58   #15
Team-BHP Support

got it now. lets see what you have to say after the td.

Most Viewed