Team-BHP - Buying a used Mahindra Thar
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/)
-   -   Buying a used Mahindra Thar (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-muvs-4x4s/210500-buying-used-mahindra-thar.html)

Hello,

I am a novice to the world of off-roading, having been only on two dune-bashing events and one initial two-day introductory session at Mahindra's Igatpuri facility.

I am looking for advice and recommendations. I have been going through a lot of threads here about this; yet I am still quite confused, hence this post asking for help.

The following is my thought-process, please do let me know if I am going down the wrong path.

I'd like to mention here that I am not yet into hard-core off-roading and competitions etc. to consider building a machine based on an older car. That may happen if and when I get good enough, after learning a lot. Therefore, I am not looking at Gypsies or Boleros or MM550s or Isuzu V-Cross or Fortuners etc., I am only looking at Thars.

I am considering buying a Thar as a second car. It will be used more for off-roading; and any highway/city use will be mainly to get to the off-roading venues and back home. Therefore, I am looking at a car that will perform decently on highways too with decent speeds (therefore I am guessing, a CRDe engine may be preferable to a DI engine - please correct me if I am labouring under any misconception).

Yes I am aware that Thar has IFS and not a live axle in front; and for now I am OK with that. If I ever get good enough I may look at getting an older car and build it to spec later.

I was advised to look for post 2015 models because apparently many niggles had been rectified in that model compared to pre-2015 models.

Based on this, I am scouring OLX and TBHP classifieds for Thars. Right now I see two cars that may be interesting, and I'd appreciate your thoughts on whether to even look at them, considering the mileage and/or mods already done and asking price.

As time goes on I may like to post more cars here for your advice. I ask for your patience in dealing with dumb questions I may have and for your help.

I'd also like to mention here that my budget is strictly limited to Six Lakhs, and that needs to cover the car and any mods to be done including tyres; so the one car I really loved and desperately wanted to buy is unfortunately out of reach for me; and that is:

Car 0:
https://www.olx.in/item/2015-mahindr...iid-1519292863

So, now what I am looking at are the following:

Car 1:
https://www.olx.in/item/mahindra-tha...iid-1520163837

Car 2:
https://www.olx.in/item/mahindra-tha...iid-1518400799

Thank you all and cheers

Since this is a second car, purely for off-roading, I'd hold off on purchasing a car.

Firstly - how often will you use it? Once a month? Once a week?

Secondly - I would recommend attending a few off road drives with a few experienced members - as a passenger also, just to get a proper taste. Thereon, I'd recommend renting a Thar / 4X4 (I am sure you can find a few agencies close to home) for a few of these drives.

Only once you're convinced would I suggest investing in buying the vehicle. Plus as you wait, the new Thar launch would be closer and you these pre-owned vehicles may see a good amount of further depreciation.

At least that is how I would do it - we have the Tiguan at home, which I would like to take on a few mild OTRs and then look at options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamborghini (Post 4610125)
Since this is a second car, purely for off-roading, I'd hold off on purchasing a car.

Firstly - how often will you use it? Once a month? Once a week?

Secondly - I would recommend attending a few off road drives with a few experienced members - as a passenger also, just to get a proper taste. Thereon, I'd recommend renting a Thar / 4X4 (I am sure you can find a few agencies close to home) for a few of these drives.

Only once you're convinced would I suggest investing in buying the vehicle. Plus as you wait, the new Thar launch would be closer and you these pre-owned vehicles may see a good amount of further depreciation.

At least that is how I would do it - we have the Tiguan at home, which I would like to take on a few mild OTRs and then look at options.

Thank you for responding.

Re. how often I'd use it, I do not know now. As with every new enthusiast I believe now that I would be using it extensively, but I am sure like every new enthusiast the actual usage could end up being not so often once reality sets in.

Re. getting a taste of it, I do believe I have had enough of a taste (both in Igatpuri and the five-day Rajasthan drive on sand, rocks, river-beds, trails etc.) to realise I am very interested; but I am afraid renting is out of the question - the only place where I have found Thars for rent is in Goa (and maybe Bombay IIRC). Nothing anywhere near where I am.

You might have a point in waiting until the new Thar is introduced, but, that will only be sometime next year. I do not know if resale values would come down before that. However, that said, I am in no tearing hurry to buy one immediately; I am just looking around and if one comes that's good and affordable for me, I'd like to buy it, that's all.

Thank you once again!

Cheers

If you like Jeeps, just go for it :thumbs up. A Jeep will change your life. In the last 20 years, many cars have come & gone from my driveway. Just one has remained constant = the Jeep. If I didn't have a Classic 4x4, a Thar would've been down my house right now.

Nothing mixes style + utility + ruggedness + offroading + affordability + timelessness as well as a Jeep. No car will make you feel as good as a Jeep (if you're into them).

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilt (Post 4610069)
I am only looking at Thars.

You clearly have a thing for it :D. Welcome to the Jeep club (in advance).

Quote:

I am considering buying a Thar as a second car.
Perfect. Not too many people can use it as their primary car. Suggestion = Get one with the factory fitted air-con. Don't consider the older models at all.

Quote:

a CRDe engine may be preferable to a DI engine
Absolutely. The beautiful CRDe is the way to go, not the agricultural DI which is good only for specific applications.

Quote:

I was advised to look for post 2015 models because apparently many niggles had been rectified in that model compared to pre-2015 models.
Spot on. With all Mahindras, the later the better. However, be warned that even a 2019 Thar will have its share of niggles as build quality is very poor.

Quote:

I'd also like to mention here that my budget is strictly limited to Six Lakhs
The thing with used cars is, if you see something really good, then stretch your budget. You are anyway saving so much by buying used.

Quote:

https://www.olx.in/item/mahindra-tha...iid-1518400799
Avoid. Keep a cap of 50,000 km. I don't mind using my cars for well beyond that (my Jeep is currently at 2+ lakh km), but there is no way I'm going to get someone else's 70k km car home.

A few months back I was admiring a rather well dressed MM540 near a super market, it appeared largely stock apart from the Winch & slightly larger tires. I hoped that someday I would pick one up and restore it.

This did not last long, the owner of the Jeep came back, fired up the engine and rocketed down the road, a scooter came out of nowhere into his path, the Jeep had to undergo something like a small moose test, it tilted side to side quite a bit and made a lot of noise, it was scary to watch.

Buy a Thar CRDe, its not just the engine - It has the suspension and the works for better on-road behavior - the speeds at which it can get you places is remarkable. I do not recommend buying one used when you CAN get a new one. The ones who are really into Jeeps will take care of it well and wont sell it, the ones who bought it for whatever other reasons would have got tired of it and may not have taken good care of it.

Just make sure not to buy heavily modified ones, buy the most stock-looking ones and give it a once over with the service center, fix everything at once and then drive trouble free. Happy Hunting.

Everything is great in your plan, except for the budget for off-road mods. You will need a lac for the most basic tyres and accessories. Also, the post-2015 models offer better 'feel-good' value.

I'd recommend stretching your budget, especially if you are looking for one in Bangalore. A 2015 stock Thar will easily cost you around 7. Plus one lac in accessories.

That said: Please be warned that there is something called as a Jeep Black Hole. Where you spend an unlimited and illogical amount of money on a Jeep with no logical output. You never get enough. I'm someone who has been into it and has never come back. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhanushs (Post 4610385)
Everything is great in your plan, except for the budget for off-road mods. You will need a lac for the most basic tyres and accessories. Also, the post-2015 models offer better 'feel-good' value.

I'd recommend stretching your budget, especially if you are looking for one in Bangalore. A 2015 stock Thar will easily cost you around 7. Plus one lac in accessories.

That said: Please be warned that there is something called as a Jeep Black Hole. Where you spend an unlimited and illogical amount of money on a Jeep with no logical output. You never get enough. I'm someone who has been into it and has never come back. :D

Jeep Black Hole, yes - I have been going through your posts and I know all about your experience with the Black Hole LOL.

Re. budget, unfortunately I do not have anything more than what I mentioned, so, if I cannot get something within my budget I am afraid I have to give up on the idea completely.

I shall keep looking! Thank you once again.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilt (Post 4610393)
Re. budget, unfortunately I do not have anything more than what I mentioned, so, if I cannot get something within my budget I am afraid I have to give up on the idea completely.

The Thar has started driving into you - and all I can say is: Go for it ! With all his experience in offroading, Dhanush cannot be off the mark about the costs involved. So what I suggest is - get the Thar first. Start driving it. You will drive around more and more, so it will get to be used. Just keep the modifications for later. See them as two separate things. Otherwise you will keep waiting for the perfect one, and it will never happen. In case of jeeps, the perfect one is what you create for yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4610396)
The Thar has started driving into you - and all I can say is: Go for it ! With all his experience in offroading, Dhanush cannot be off the mark about the costs involved. So what I suggest is - get the Thar first. Start driving it. You will drive around more and more, so it will get to be used. Just keep the modifications for later. See them as two separate things. Otherwise you will keep waiting for the perfect one, and it will never happen. In case of jeeps, the perfect one is what you create for yourself.

Yes, that's why I mentioned in my original post - I'd like to start with small steps - learn, practice, get more experience at novice levels, make mistakes, and then be able to competently identify what mods exactly I need and why; and only then start with the mods.

I have driven a Thar extensively (around 4000 kms) over a period of five days very recently; (Bangalore to Jaisalmer and back), and I absolutely loved the car! I know what the car feels like, how it is to sit and drive for extended periods of time, how it handles various speeds and surfaces and traffic conditions, etc.

Thanks and cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilt (Post 4610404)
then be able to competently identify what mods exactly I need and why; and only then start with the mods.

You don't need mods to have fun. My Jeep is almost bone stock. The main mechanical bits that are different:

1. 2.5L Diesel. Out of necessity (original 2.1L went kaput at 1.4 lakh km).

2. A/T tyres. Again, out of necessity (due to obvious reasons).

Just go out and get your Thar! With the right tyres, I'm sure that it has more than enough capability for you to have fun.

Request: Please do price-checks on the other thread.

This thread must only be for discussions related to the car.

Would there be any risk in buying a Thar that has never been off-road, meaning the 4x4 has never been engaged at all?

Would any of the 4x4 system (shifter, transfer case, diffs, fluids, or any other component) be compromised or negatively affected in any way because of this?

Basically I am trying to find out if I could safely use 4x4 with no problems or if I would incur a big repair bill after buying such a car, that's all.

Thank you and cheers

@tilt

Congratulations on looking to own a Thar. It is a great feeling to own one. I had one for 2 years, then sold under certain circumstances and now looking to get one back (used). Even i am looking for one post 2015 so that we get some goodies. Keep looking and i am sure you will hit one in your budget OR a little stretch (as GTO says), don't leave a good one for few thousands !

All the best

Swami

Just like any other vehicle, look for low used, accident free, properly maintained vehicle. Do check up with Mahindra for it's regular service record. Drive it, see how it feels, any sounds noises of suspension or engine bay side. Take it on a lose surface and engage 4x4 and get another person to see if front axles move, disengage drive reverse for auto lock hubs to disengage again ask the second guy to see if the front axles are not disengaged and not moving. This will tell you if the 4x4 is working properly. Rest there's not much to it. It's a solid engine. If it has been timely serviced I doubt it'll give you any problems. 2014 2015 models are not bad, but had old dash. New dash came it's own set of problems, till date I doubt they could fix the fuel gauge error in reading. Check for linear tire wear. Get it inspected from a good mechanic or a Mahindra dealership from underneath for any damages or any wear. I guess that should cover it. Good luck Jeeper !
Just one thing, avoid getting one that's heavily modified. Other than AT tires if you want, it needs nothing, enjoy it as it was supposed to.

You may already know this, but seller expectations on Thar prices are usually (mistakenly) hugely inflated. If you see a vehicle you like, do quote what you feel is a fair price, the seller may actually come around. Also, rather pay a premium to the direct seller (in case you can find one) than go via the reseller route.

Like you rightly mentioned, apart from tires and maybe a hard top, all accessories are a sunk cost for the seller. Infact, any mods more than those, should make the vehicle go down your priority list.

Patience is the key. There's a Thar for everyone :) Best of luck!